Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > So How Does Fishing Really Work?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DrummingNut
Msg: 26
So How Does Fishing Really Work?Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Just jumping in here to make a comment on something the OP said:
That's like having sex blindfolded. You want to see the reaction of what the other person is feeling. If they don't make a single noise nor can you even see their face, what is the point?
Crappy analogy.
I can assure you, OP, that visually impared people can enjoy as amazing sex as your pert self.

And, (still sticking with the sexual here), for all you know he might have had great fun jerking off alone while thinking about you reading his email!

So... "how does fishing really work?" ??
The methods ... and desired results... are very very individual.
 SilentInk
Msg: 27
So How Does Fishing Really Work?
Posted: 9/16/2010 6:23:41 AM
As that may be OldLadyPurple, the visually impaired folk still have a sense of hearing, so they can hear what the other person is feeling. Now if one is just pumping away to have the other person lay there, might as well go boink someone in the morgue....you will get the same results. I for one would not enjoy sex very much if a person is laying there mum and motionless. But hey that’s just me. Hence in my mind my analogy works, as crappy as it may be. Cheers!

And, (still sticking with the sexual here), for all you know he might have had great fun jerking off alone while thinking about you reading his email!

Now this I do vibe with, for all I know he (going away from the sexual here) seen I read the e-mail and his mind started wondering what my reaction COULD of been...and maybe perhaps that made his day. But that sounds rather boring....just like jacking off alone.
 JRodriguez81
Msg: 28
Posted: 9/16/2010 6:52:49 AM
Well, generally I send out a quick little greeting, and then ask if the woman would like to talk. Thats about it.

If that is generic, then hey....screw her anyway.

My philosophy on it, is very simple....Considering from what Ive seen, and from the women ive spoken to here, a good chunk of them do not shift through profiles, nor do they contact men. One woman flat out told me (after I saw that she viewed my profile, and proceeded to add me as a favorite) that she never initiates contact. Which makes absolutely NO sense considering you're on a site where you SHOULD BE if you are interested!

Anyway, seeing as how that is the case, I, being the guy, have to be the one to generally send out most of the messages to try and "catch a fish" ....

With that being said, now, imagine if i had to personalize EVERY SINGLE MESSAGE i send out?

Dont get me wrong...sometimes I DO in fact personalize it, depending on what I read in their profile. Most of the time, I do skim profiles, and most of the time I do not. I will just email someone I find physically attractive, and then write her an email. If she responds, we can then talk further, and decide if there is a match.

At the end of the day, some ladies need to realize that YOU ARE NOT THE ONLY ONE that the guy emails....and it can become a real pain to have to be "original" x amount of times.

Now Im not saying to respond to "sup" because someone sent it out, and yes, that is generic as it gets....but considering the amount of emails one has to send.....sometimes it CAN be a chore for particular people.

Its funny because sometimes you'll get the women that put limitations on the email you send....saying that "_____does not accept emails this short"

And I think to myself....wow....does this woman believe that she is the only person a guy sends an email to?

All in all, you (ladies) are not the only one we are emailing, and originality most of the time doesnt even get a response. So why bother anyway?

To the OP.....if a guy isnt up to your standard of "attractive" does him being "original" even matter anyway??

Some of you ladies complain too much anyway...I WISH I had the problem of having too many emails to shift through.
 txredbull
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 9/16/2010 7:05:10 AM
Lol meh. Since I am not a troll I don't get how someone gets kicks from *knowing* I read their e-mail...yet they

Actually, I think he was calling me a troll...but it never got my attention.

There is no right way...there is no wrong way...there is only whatever way YOU think is your way.

Its tough getting the attention of a hotty. Just making some message unique that doesn't say how attractive you are is not going to do it....its much more difficult than that.

The strategy of scolding you and acting like a father figure I'm sure has the potential to work some of the time. Perhaps, if applied a little more sparingly than he did, he would have had a better chance. It gets your attention....and then has the capacity to get you curious. However, I think using this forum as an outlet to relieve that curiousity definitely worked against him.
 AnotherPinHead
Msg: 30
Posted: 9/16/2010 7:36:45 AM
I love fishing analogies. They don't work perfectly here though since everyone is both a fish and a fisherman, but I'll give it a shot.

The OP is fishing for a trophy largemouth bass. But she's only catching kibbies and not happy about it. She doesn't seem to realize that she's using a bobber, a number 12 hook, and a worm for bait. If you want that bass you're going to need to ditch the bobber completely, and either switch to a plug, or a bigger hook with shiner on it.

This is how fishing works. I trust this is all crystal clear. We could do the flip side, where the OP is the fish, but I'll leave that as an exercise for the reader.
 Pingshooter
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 9/16/2010 7:42:20 AM

What are your views on this young man's e-mail vs. your own point of view?

I think my Guy Manual is out of date. Cuz..it's not the same I've got.
Wait..maybe I don't have the current Guy Manual, POF Edition.=?
Why aren't I on the update list?

I would have deleted the email and moved on.
 SilentInk
Msg: 32
Posted: 9/16/2010 7:46:04 AM

To the OP.....if a guy isnt up to your standard of "attractive" does him being "original" even matter anyway??

To be honest, as I am not here to make myself look like a saint (like some POF'ers try to do), so yes if a man isn't fitting to my "standards" of what I find attractive, no matter how original the message is, he probably won't get a response that will lead to a back and forth conversation. However, if I see a man really put his thoughts in to contacting me, and his message shines above all others, I will (and have) certainly shoot him a message back commenting on what he said, and thanking him for his message (whether is was thought provoking or just made me laugh etc). I then will conclude the message with a thanks but no thanks. I hate doing that, because it usually leads to 'Why do you think we aren't a match?'...in which case I have to write back explaining my thoughts behind my thinking so. It's all about common courtesy though.

The OP is fishing for a trophy largemouth bass

A trophy? No my dear friend, I always laugh at that ridiculous statement people make ie: 'trophy wife'. The hell does that even mean? I want a person I am compatible with. FYI I don't go purely based on physical attributes. I look for substance. Reason why I never found iron pumping hulks attractive. No offence to men who make their life revolve around being in the gym 24/7, but I just never found those men having the substance I need. I don't need to have a man by my side I need to parade around, this is not the circus.
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 33
Posted: 9/16/2010 7:47:05 AM
Actually, I think he was calling me a troll...but it never got my attention.

Nope, just referring to the person who sent her the original attention-seeking email.. He did make a valid point from his perspective, that many attractive women online seem to have unrealistic initial contact expectations.

From her perspective she can choose to be as picky as she wants.. And not respond to him, to his dismay...

It gets your attention....and then has the capacity to get you curious. However, I think using this forum as an outlet to relieve that curiousity definitely worked against him.

Agree, she did the right thing by not responding to him. Also, if he tries again she might just check to see who sent it first and then not even open it, for best annoyance effect on the troll..
Eventually he may see "unread deleted" often, to his annoyance..
 AnotherPinHead
Msg: 34
Posted: 9/16/2010 7:56:56 AM

A trophy? No my dear friend, I always laugh at that ridiculous statement people make ie: 'trophy wife'.

That's the other problem with these analogies. You're taking it too literally. You want a relationship, that's the trophy I had pictured in my head as I pecked away. The kibbies would be the insincere (or at least inarticulate) guys you are attracting.

I think if you want substance then you need to put a little more of yourself into that profile, rather than putting it all on the guy. A substantial guy is probably going to look at more than just your pictures, he'll read the text, and then move on, because it doesn't sound like you can carry your end. Your results so far confirm that, yes? If you're mostly pleased with your results here then stick to it of course, but it doesn't sound like you are. Good luck!
 JRodriguez81
Msg: 35
Posted: 9/16/2010 8:03:55 AM
To be honest, as I am not here to make myself look like a saint (like some POF'ers try to do), so yes if a man isn't fitting to my "standards" of what I find attractive, no matter how original the message is, he probably won't get a response that will lead to a back and forth conversation. However, if I see a man really put his thoughts in to contacting me, and his message shines above all others, I will (and have) certainly shoot him a message back commenting on what he said, and thanking him for his message (whether is was thought provoking or just made me laugh etc). I then will conclude the message with a thanks but no thanks. I hate doing that, because it usually leads to 'Why do you think we aren't a match?'...in which case I have to write back explaining my thoughts behind my thinking so. It's all about common courtesy though.

So what does any of this really matter, if it all just comes down to looks, and appearance anyway?

In my opinion, this is why alot of males do not take the time to write out the long, thoight provoking email, because lets face it...in the end, it basically just boils down to how attractive people find eachother for there to be any REAL interest in what the other person is saying anyway.

It may be annoying to have to shift through countless emails that seem similar, but consider the alternative....You might be horribly disfigured in an accident, that leaves you a hideous mongoloid, and then....You'll get NO emails. Im JUST sayin! So honestly is it that big of a burden?

Instead of picking men apart here, why not respond, and try to find out if the fella is more than just the "unoriginal" message in which you're judging him on? Like I said, in order for him to get 5 responses, sometimes a guy has to literally email like 50 ladies.

So shall he be "original" all 50 times?
 Purr Heart
Msg: 36
Posted: 9/16/2010 8:18:32 AM
^^^^ JROD .... I don't want someone to send me a " long, thought provoking e mail " because I'd feel bad that they wasted so much time and effort if I'm not interested in them.

But, I don't want a lazy " how are you ? " either because I want to know WHY they sent me a msg ? Are they interested or just bored ? If they're interested, then why are they interested ?

So, I'm talking about one or two sentences. Call it a happy medium ?

So shall he be "original" all 50 times?

Well, yes since not all women are exactly the same he would probably be interested in them for different reasons : " hey, we both like rock climbing ", or one has nice blue eyes, one has nice long , blonde hair, etc, etc, etc.

Look, if it's too much "work" to be original 50 times then maybe cut it down to 20 or 30 ?

YOU GET WHAT YOU GIVE !

WomanInProgress
Msg: 37
Posted: 9/16/2010 8:37:09 AM
Well unless it's a sport, fishing is about catching killing and eating something, so I never understood how fish or any other hunted animal compares with dating - animals are trying to get away and live whereas a woman (you'd hope if you were a guy) isn't trying to escape with her life.

I digress.

It has been my experience that anyone who tells you how to do something that they have a stake in, does so entirely because they want you to play the game WITH THEM by THEIR rules, so that THEY will win. That's all this sounds like. It's no different from the people who will tell you that you are "too picky," because you have specified something that they don't measure up to, and they want you to change it so they can come after you.

Absofrickinlutely! I live by this quote above - people who give you advice like that either want you to play their game because it directly benefits them, are reminded that their odds suck because of people who are using your mindset, or want you to "just" get with a program that they've been following without question so that they feel better ("don't you know everyone does it like THIS?"). Misery certainly loves company.
 Sabrosura089
Msg: 38
Posted: 9/16/2010 8:46:49 AM

Well, yes since not all women are exactly the same he would probably be interested in them for different reasons : " hey, we both like rock climbing ", or one has nice blue eyes, one has nice long , blonde hair, etc, etc, etc.

Look, if it's too much "work" to be original 50 times then maybe cut it down to 20 or 30 ?

YOU GET WHAT YOU GIVE !

^^^I like how you think! If it's too much "work", then maybe this is not the best way of meeting/contacting people for some.

And this goes for BOTH genders.
 JRodriguez81
Msg: 39
Posted: 9/16/2010 8:49:14 AM
JROD .... I don't want someone to send me a " long, thought provoking e mail " because I'd feel bad that they wasted so much time and effort if I'm not interested in them.

But, I don't want a lazy " how are you ? " either because I want to know WHY they sent me a msg ? Are they interested or just bored ? If they're interested, then why are they interested ?

So, I'm talking about one or two sentences. Call it a happy medium ?

Fair enough. But sometimes, it is a chore for some men here to crank out the "why" as far as why they write each individual lady here. Especially when it all boils down to if the dude is attractive or not, to said female. Lets face it...most people do not care how generic a message is, if the person happens to be smoking hot.

YOU GET WHAT YOU GIVE !

This is true, but to be honest from the look of the OP's profile...she spends far more time discussing how annoyed she is at the "unoriginal emails" she is getting, rather than focusing on what makes HER interesting, and original.

All in all, im not saying that woman HAS TO respond to these types of emails. Anyone can respond to anyone here, but one shouldnt be SO overly critical when considering how it plays out from the other side of the coin.

Alot of guys here are not getting what they give. They put a ton of effort into contacting women here, and get zero responses, and I feel for these guys, because they seem to be discouraged about it.

Which brings me back to my original thought, that it really doesnt matter if the guy is original, funny, or attempts to relate to the woman...if he is "ugly" anyway.

God, im starving right now.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 40
Posted: 9/16/2010 8:59:10 AM

Alot of guys here are not getting what they give.

Actually, they are. They are sending initials to get a response. The response is yes or no. How the no is packaged isn't the point. They are supposed to be looking for yes or no...that's it. The catch is that when it's yes - it's got to be a good yes. If you expect a no and stop putting in effort, then possible yesses turn into no's. It's not much different than sales, really.

They put a ton of effort into contacting women here, and get zero responses, and I feel for these guys, because they seem to be discouraged about it.

They ARE getting responses. A lack of reply is a no. They may not like that form of no, but it's still no. Having a certain expectation, tracking messages and dwelling on messages sent is a good way to intensify a small no into a colossal thing. So don't do that.

P.S. If you feel you are putting a ton of effort into meeting someone, then you're either trying too hard, or expecting too much. Maybe a break from dating is a good idea. It's not brain surgery. It's supposed to be fun, not frustrating if you do it the right way and use the right mindset.
 SilentInk
Msg: 41
Posted: 9/16/2010 9:33:56 AM

So what does any of this really matter, if it all just comes down to looks, and appearance anyway?

Lol JRod, I don't think you get my point whatsoever. It does matter, to me anyway, because I have had numerous men write my way with must I say heavenly looks (since you are making it sound like it all comes down to JUST looks), but their e-mail consisted of a few random words thrown together. Did I respond because I was weak for their looks? No I did not. But say the same man with the same physical appearance wrote to me saying something along the lines of 'Hey Silent Ink. I see you are into classic rock! I grew up listening to it as well. My favorite artists are Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple etc...' I would have definitely responded. Do you really not see my point, and think it all comes down to just looks?

I don't want someone to send me a " long, thought provoking e mail " because I'd feel bad that they wasted so much time and effort if I'm not interested in them. But, I don't want a lazy " how are you ? " either because I want to know WHY they sent me a msg ? Are they interested or just bored ? If they're interested, then why are they interested ?

Exactly my point PurrHeart! You nailed it.

This is true, but to be honest from the look of the OP's profile...she spends far more time discussing how annoyed she is at the "unoriginal emails" she is getting, rather than focusing on what makes HER interesting, and original.

And that is your opinion JRod and you are entitled to it, as I am entitled to mine. In my eyes (and again I am not forcing the way I see it on you) when a person (and I have seen numerous people do this) write a whole freakin' autobiography on their profile it leaves little to none to the imagination. I have listed a few of my interests, you can tell I am not a girl that watches MTV every day or sits at a bar boozing...and that should be enough for a man to determine if I am even worth talking to. Some men like reality tv watching broads, but that's not me. I don't feel the need to be an open book. I clearly state on my profile I only share personal information with only those who strike my interest. 'Nuff said.
 SilentInk
Msg: 42
Posted: 9/16/2010 9:52:41 AM

Who knows? he's probably overjoyed that theres a thread that came out of all of this on top of jerking off alone?

LOL! Now that was funny.
 wolftxusa
Msg: 43
Posted: 9/16/2010 9:54:03 AM
"So shall he be "original" all 50 times?"
Yes.
 Rarebird76
Msg: 44
Posted: 9/16/2010 9:55:07 AM
I used to fish a bit. What type of bait are you using cause that will determine what will (might) bite. Also most all the public spots are terrible. They fenced off and 'no trespassed' the hell out of all the best spots. So wtf is left? That's why I don't fish anymore.

Oh were you looking for a metaphorical response? Well maybe it still applies.
 txredbull
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 9/16/2010 10:16:17 AM

I don't think this point is cast aside just because someone puts a well thought out (lengthy) email together. I mean you could put together a 50 word well thought out email about how "HOT" someone is. That fulfills the "what about me" do you like criteria as suggested by the post below yours.

However, lets face it, an email about how hot she is, is by definition the same email she is seeing over and over again and thus will not rise to the top of the stack.

People sit here and fool themselves....tell themselves looks has nothing to do with it. That it is about how well crafted your email is, how you have read my profile and we have similar interests. pleeze...I did not just fall off the turnip truck. The truth is 90% of the time, its all about looks and attraction. If the email is coming from a hot guy, it could simple say, "Hi, I'm a moron"....and if the picture is hot then poof hes in. Lets stop dancing around the truth. There is a reason why the sent 50 line email says Unread/Deleted.....it is not because the email was well thought out.
 JRodriguez81
Msg: 46
Posted: 9/16/2010 10:30:22 AM
People sit here and fool themselves....tell themselves looks has nothing to do with it. Thats it about how well crafted your email is, how you have read my profile and we have similar interests. pleeze...I did not just fall off the turnip truck. The truth is 90% of the time, its all about looks and attraction. If the email is coming from a hot guy, it could simple say, "Hi, I'm a moron"....and if the picture is hot then poof hes in. Lets stop dancing around the truth. There is a reason why the sent email says Unread/Deleted.....it is not because the email was well thought out.

Basically we all like to blow smoke up eachother's asses and play pretend, but at the end of the day, this is all it really boils down to when it comes to meeting up with people or being attracted online. Which is why most people do NOT take the time to write out that interesting email.

Im going to be flat out honest...Ive had more success here "copying and pasting" than I did when I was taking the time to write out interesting and personalized emails. And thats the flat out truth. Im giving the woman the option to respond, and if she does...then we can get more into a chat, and find out more about eachother.

What I dont get is...why complain if the emails all seem similar? Simply delete the ones you arent interested in, and then email and respond to the ones you find attractive. Its really that simple, isnt it? It kind of seems like some here, take it as a personal insult to them, if the email wasnt "well thought out".

It just all seems like a fickle thing to get pissy about.
 JRodriguez81
Msg: 47
Posted: 9/16/2010 11:26:00 AM
Lol JRod, I don't think you get my point whatsoever. It does matter, to me anyway, because I have had numerous men write my way with must I say heavenly looks (since you are making it sound like it all comes down to JUST looks), but their e-mail consisted of a few random words thrown together. Did I respond because I was weak for their looks? No I did not. But say the same man with the same physical appearance wrote to me saying something along the lines of 'Hey Silent Ink. I see you are into classic rock! I grew up listening to it as well. My favorite artists are Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple etc...' I would have definitely responded. Do you really not see my point, and think it all comes down to just looks?

So, he must spark your interest within one single email for you to even respond....So you basically brush a guy off, because he didnt put forth the effort that you would deem appropriate...

But then, if a guy does put forth an effort, he has no chance, because he isnt physically attractive to you.

But if he IS physically attractive, he has to be interesting within the first initial contact, or else, he wont even get a response.

I see....Forgive me if I have a little trouble swallowing some of that. If a woman contacts me, and I find her attractive, but her initial greeting may not seem "original" ...I will usually try to converse with her, to see if she is my type. I wont just toss it aside, because she didnt "wow" me within a paragraph.

But I suppose this all depends on the individual. I just do not buy that though.
 abelian
Msg: 48
Posted: 9/16/2010 11:51:34 AM

However, lets face it, an email about how hot she is, is by definition the same email she is seeing over and over again and thus will not rise to the top of the stack.

Obviously, which is why writing something that lame rarely gets any attention, no matter how long it takes to say that in a message.

People sit here and fool themselves....tell themselves looks has nothing to do with it.

I haven't seen anyone say that. Looks do have something to do with it, but people who attribute their lack of success to looks, money, or whatever else they would like to call ``superficial women,'' are just looking for an easy out rather than consider the possibility that they could be doing something wrong,

That it is about how well crafted your email is, how you have read my profile and we have similar interests. pleeze...I did not just fall off the turnip truck.

Well, you're stuck with your basic looks (other than weight, level of physical fitness, haircut, clothing and a few other things). If you want to meet the most attractive women you can, first make yourself as attractive as you can be to the women you want to attract. If a guy loves his mullet or thinks a combover doesn't look silly, then he ought to expect to date women who agree with him as much as their own idiosyncracies limit their dating to guys with mullets and combovers. You can have an above average build. You can pick and choose your photos. You can write better messages. You can write a better profile. You can do a lot of things to offset the fact that you aren't Brad Pitt with Bill Gate's bank account and James Bond's savoir fare.

You don't have to complain that women don't appreciate you for something you expect them figure out themselves in spite of some weird idea that you won't make those things apparent unless women disregard the things you went out your way to make apparent. I think getting dates here hinges a great deal on writing a good profile and writing messages that are interesting (other than as a fluke to one oddball), mainly because I'm average looking, average height, and superficially, rather average and I had to rely on doing something else that was above average, like improving my profile regularly, writing something interesting to women I wanted to date and realizing not every women I thought was physically hot would write back and offer to blow me for a chance to be in my harem.

If the email is coming from a hot guy, it could simple say, "Hi, I'm a moron"....and if the picture is hot then poof hes in.

If he's good looking enough, that's probably true. By the same tolen, if a really hot woman wrote to you and said that, you'd probably overlook a few glaring faults of hers, too. However, since I'm not one of those hot guys and apparently, you aren't either, we don't have the luxury of being morons and getting dates with that woman. I just accept it and try to get a date anyway by not being as much of a moron. Oddly enough, it sometimes works, especially if a woman also values intelligence and whatever self-confidence she infers by not being afraid to ask her for a date.

There is a reason why the sent 50 line email says Unread/Deleted.

I experienced very, very few Unread/Deleted messages. I had lots of messages read without getting a reply, but perhaps what I wrote in my profile provided enough incentive to read my messages before ignoring me and I'm sure a lot of messages could have better. I considered women with badly written profiles to be throwaways and only wrote to them because they were attractive enough to meet even if they turned out to be too dumb to date for very long. I couldn't send an interesting message without a profile to work with, so I didn't expect a reply.
 Helen0426
Msg: 49
Posted: 9/16/2010 11:52:37 AM
Well, he was certainly very rude... and how you choose to fish is up to you, not him.

OTOH, you do rather go on about this in your profile. The initial mention of it is funny ("301 girls in your area"! Hee), but the final paragraph, well, I can see how it'd spur the young man's evident annoyance with you, though I disagree with his premise.

I do think it's reasonable to expect a personally relevant message, since you have included some interests - and they're interesting! But I don't think it's reasonable to harangue people before they've done anything.

You can just block people who annoy you with multiple stupid messages. Nothing forces you to respond. Telling them that what they're doing is ridiculous is pretty much the same thing this guy did to you. That it is true does not make it better.
 txredbull
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 9/16/2010 1:02:43 PM

Basically we all like to blow smoke up eachother's asses and play pretend, but at the end of the day, this is all it really boils down to when it comes to meeting up with people or being attracted online. Which is why most people do NOT take the time to write out that interesting email.

Yeh...I don't mind continuing with the smoke as long as everyone knows its there.

I think it's possible you have so many hot profiles to go through that you can no longer use looks alone. If you have like 10 emails and everyone is hot, then well your going to have to use an additional character like yeh hes hot, but he's witty and writes good emails too.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > So How Does Fishing Really Work?