Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Greatest Rock Bass Men      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Tayfire
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Greatest Rock Bass MenPage 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Phil Lynott- Thin Lizzy.
Lemmy- Motorhead ( Plays it more like a Rhythm Guitar)
Jack Bruce- Cream.
There's bound to be others?
 CeeDeeBear
Msg: 34
Greatest Rock Bass Men
Posted: 9/5/2011 10:25:41 PM
And Julie Slick
Adrian Belew Power Trio.

Yikes!
 Metal_Mike667
Msg: 35
Greatest Rock Bass Men
Posted: 9/7/2011 6:14:41 PM
Metal Bassist
Lemmy Kilmester
Geezer Butler
Steve Harris
Cliff Burton

Rock Bassist
John Paul Jones
Phil Lynott
Cliff Williams
 smokincigars
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Greatest Rock Bass Men
Posted: 9/9/2011 11:56:38 PM
I have expanded the ranks beyond just rock, hope no one minds. A few of these have been mentioned, others have not.

Pino Palladino == mainly a session player, but filled Entwhistle's position for The Who's Super Bowl concert a few of years back.

Paul McCartney -- I know, he isn't considered rock these days, but still an incredible and influential bass player. May have been the first musician to be referred to as a "lead bass" player by bandmates.

James Jamerson -- Motown session player, played the driving, melodic bass lines on the vast majority of that company's hits in the 1950s and 1960s. Smokey Robinson would not record without him. An alcoholic, Marvin Gaye had to pull him out of a bar to play on What's Going On"; Jamerson was so drunk it played it lying flat on his back!

Larry Graham -- best known from Sly & The Family Stone. Invented (or at least popularized) slapping and thumping..

Ross Valory -- Journey.

Jaco Pastorius -- strictly a jazz player, but his innovative playing (he popularized the fretless electric bass, among other things) has influenced tons of rock bassists.

Jack Blades -- Night Ranger, Damn Yankees, Ringo Starr's All-Starr Band.

Rick James -- more funk than rock, but highly influential. with rock bassists.

Francis "Rocco" Prestia -- amazing 32nd-note-playing bassist with Tower Of Power.

Bill Wyman -- founding member of the Rolling Stones, the only original member with any studio experience.

Timothy B. Scmidt -- Eagles.

Carol Kaye -- an L.A. session musician and more associated with pop than rock, but she created the bass lines that got a lot of other players interested in the instrument. Btw, she (not Brian Wilson) played the bass on most of the Beach Boys records from the 1960s.

Cliff Burton -- Bassist on Metallica's early successes, died 'way too soon.

Robert Trujillo -- with Metallica since 2003.

Noel Redding -- he was Jimi's bass player, 'nuff said.

Muff Winwood -- Spencer Davis Group, and brother of Steve Windwood. "I'm A Man" got a lot of us interested in playing bass.

Dee Murray -- long-time bassist with Elton John.

Jerry Scheff -- not well known outside bass circles, but he was Elvis Presley's favorite bassist and long-time sideman. (His son Jason replaced Peter Cetera as bassist and tenor voice in Chicago. They're both worthy of this list too IMHO.)

Donald "Duck" Dunn -- Stax session legend, as well as a member of Booker T. and the M.G.s and later the Blues Brothers Band. Working with Neil Young these days, I think.

Will Lee -- CBS Orchestra/The World's Most Dangerous Band, as well as a first-call session bassist in NYC. Huge Beatles fan, part of a New York group called the Fab Faux; too bad he's right-handed, blonde and taller than McCartney.

Chris McCrudden -- you've never heard of him, but he was my bass instructor. Phenomenally talented, and a good friend. :)
 yugatsuj
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Greatest Rock Bass Men
Posted: 9/10/2011 5:42:42 PM
Lemmy from Motorhead
Mike Rutherford from Genesis
Steve Harris from Iron Maiden

ATLfan25
Msg: 38
Greatest Rock Bass Men
Posted: 9/15/2011 9:48:13 PM
Michael Anthony(Van Halen/Chickenfoot), anyone who runs out with a bass that looks like a Jack Daniels bottle has to be up there in the list. Along with his rock solid bass playing for VH he provided key backing vocals.
 TeeToTheEyeToTheEm
Msg: 39
Greatest Rock Bass Men
Posted: 9/19/2011 2:31:02 AM
I think Chris Squire has the best rock bassline in history with Roundabout. That just plain jams even today. Try to play it without fret buzz.

to be honest though, the best TONE I have ever heard live is from a band in Tacoma, WA named Church of Hate. Nothing technical at all, but man, what a strong tone that takes over everything and turns your spleen into pudding. I've played over 200 live shows in my time. I'm sure many have played more, but I hope to at least qualify to make such a statement.
 adrianvandenberg
Msg: 40
Greatest Rock Bass Men
Posted: 10/1/2011 9:25:34 PM
I like this thread; if this were to be about guitarists (of which I'm one) there would be hundreds of names. A great bassist is relatively rare.

Anyways,here in no particular order are my candidates:

Flea
Steve Harris
Billy Sheehan
Les Claypool
 BigBlue1973
Msg: 41
Greatest Rock Bass Men
Posted: 10/2/2011 12:49:25 AM
Steve Harris (Iron Maiden)
Steve DiGiorgio (Death, Iced Earth etc etc)\
Les Claypool (Primus)
Chris Squire (Yes)
 YayForBeer
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Greatest Rock Bass Men
Posted: 10/3/2011 8:34:17 AM
Truly skilled bass players are hard to come by. Most lists are populated with bass players from popular bands, even if the bass players themselves aren't really that good.

Victor Wooten is arguably the greatest current living bass player, in terms of skill, awards, reputation, and the sheer broad scope of styles of music he's played.

Tremolux
Msg: 43
Greatest Rock Bass Men
Posted: 10/4/2011 4:40:36 PM
Paul McCartney, John Entwhistle, Allen Woody, Jack Bruce, John Paul Jones, Pino Palladino, Sven Pipien, Tal Wilkenfeld, Bill Black, Flea, Billy Sheehan, and for that low down four on the floor, Cliff Williams.
 dekadance
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Greatest Rock Bass Men
Posted: 10/6/2011 6:32:27 PM
Arif Mirabdolbaghi
Erlend Caspersen
Alex Webster
 Honest1man79
Msg: 45
Greatest Rock Bass Men
Posted: 10/7/2011 2:27:57 PM
Jaco Pastorious
 WhatWouldDrewDo
Msg: 46
Greatest Rock Bass Men
Posted: 10/8/2011 11:16:13 PM
I saw a bass solo on YouTube the other day, by the master himself, Billy Sheehan. That man makes it look easy, too easy almost.
 spinningvinyl
Msg: 47
Greatest Rock Bass Men
Posted: 10/10/2011 6:24:54 PM
David Wm. Sims, Scratch Acid/Jesus Lizard
 jayciedubb
Msg: 48
Greatest Rock Bass Men
Posted: 10/10/2011 8:00:36 PM
I haven't read the wholesaled thread. I was surprised when I didn't read Flea (RHCP), Rob Trujillo (Suicidal Tendencies, Infectious Grooves, Ozzy, Metallic), Jason Newstead (F&J, Metallica, Echo Brain), Cliff Burton (Metallica) , Dimebag Darrel (Pantera) what was the dudes name from Iron Maiden?....And never forget (like I did) the dude who played for MDC or Josh Pepe from DRI s crossover album.
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Greatest Rock Bass Men
Posted: 10/11/2011 1:13:57 PM
^^^^^^
Flea got mentioned by the third post, and several times thereafter.

Rob Trujillo and Cliff Burton were mentioned several times.

Steve Harris (the dude from Maiden) was mentioned on the first page and several times thereafter.

Dimebag Darrell is not mentioned because he was a guitarist. Rex Brown was Pantera's bassist, Bob Zilla was Damageplan's bottom end.

Jason Newstead hasn't been mentioned, and really it's no surprise. I think any one who goes from arguably the biggest metal band in the world (whether they are worthy of that title or not is another thread altogether) to a third or 4th tier band like Voivod tells you all you need to know. Newstead is average at best. As is Josh Pepe. I saw him live on the Crossover tour back in '85 and he played that death rattle type bass that gets buried in the mix. He's fast, but that's about it.

Mikey Offender (I'm assuming that is the MDC bassist you are refering to, who played on the first LP) was great, but how many people have even heard MDC? He also did a DRI album (Dealing with It) and played with Gary Floyd from the D!cks in Sister Double Happiness among many other things. He passed away a couple years ago at 46.
 spinningvinyl
Msg: 50
Greatest Rock Bass Men
Posted: 10/11/2011 4:17:03 PM
Millions of Dead cops played Buffalo not too long ago. I did not attend.
 Deke245
Msg: 51
Greatest Rock Bass Men
Posted: 10/19/2011 6:15:43 PM
Geddy Lee of Rush - I don't think anyone else does lead vocals, keyboards, and moog pedals with his feet.
 SleepyMcGee
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Greatest Rock Bass Men
Posted: 10/22/2011 1:34:41 PM

Jason Newstead hasn't been mentioned, and really it's no surprise. I think any one who goes from arguably the biggest metal band in the world (whether they are worthy of that title or not is another thread altogether) to a third or 4th tier band like Voivod tells you all you need to know.

That says absolutely nothing at all about his level of talent. It speaks to James Hetfield's narcissism and control issues. Watch the documentary "Some Kind Of Monster" sometime (can be found on YouTube) James even admits it himself. So no, it doesn't "tell you all you need to know", Jason is a great bass player.

p.s. He went from Metallica to his sideproject to OZZY. Then to Voivod. )
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Greatest Rock Bass Men