Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > The Stewart/Colbert rally 10/30/10      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 26
view profile
History
The Stewart/Colbert rally 10/30/10Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)

Btw I cannot stand the Beck or Hannity shows either and needless to say Olberman.

I have a hard time with Olbermann, too.

From what I've seen of him (remember I don't watch TV, and only see things online), I see his ideas and words as being OK most times - but his presentation is something that often throws off the message he's trying to communicate, at least to me.

When he slips into that "outrage" mode, when those "histrionics" start and those glasses started bobbing up and down, he kind of reminds me of an unintentional left wing version of Colbert's persona.

If he dialed in more "Cronkite", he'd be much more effective, imho.
 Hawaiianluau
Msg: 27
The Stewart/Colbert rally 10/30/10
Posted: 10/1/2010 9:44:30 PM
^^^
Yep. The ol' in your face.
I'm watching ANY television for a little entertainment value. Sometimes more (sometimes a lot more) than others.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 28
Posted: 10/1/2010 10:31:41 PM

Here is a litmus test for you. Put your TV on mute, turn on the Closed Caption, and watch the Stewart show. Try to sit through the whole thing if you can handle it. I used to think it was funny too.

Say what? Do you know how comedy works?

They used to say of Jack Benny that his comic timing was so good, that he could read a phone book and have the audience rolling. So he tried it once; and he did. Jack Benny is the comics' comic. All you're saying is that Jon Stewart is a better comic than his material - that's not an insult.
 BerniesAlive
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 10/1/2010 10:59:39 PM
I am familiar with comedy. I am also familiar with canned laughter, half-truths, propagated lies, butt-kissing, reverse-racism, and lameness. If you can get past the pointedness, at times it can be comedic. It is Jon's show and supposedly Jon's material so it is fair to hold him to it. Yes, in my opinion, he is a better comic than his daily show material. But again, if you will, just try doing what I said and see if you come away feeling any differently.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 30
Posted: 10/2/2010 7:59:05 AM
Oh.

The problem then is that Stewart's material runs counter to your dogma.

Carry on.
 BerniesAlive
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 10/2/2010 10:04:07 AM
Thanks Saharam..I give up, I don't care anymore, and go on with moves you. I never should have said anything, and I apologize to the OP for hijacking this post.
 flyguy51
Msg: 32
Posted: 10/27/2010 10:42:07 AM
Well, I just learned that Colbert couldn't get a permit for his March to Keep Fear Alive and has actually joined forces with Stewart to make it the Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear.

Who knew?
 MrLove45
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 10/29/2010 7:49:44 AM
well we all have our preferences...and Maher, Stewart and Olbermann are the best on cable and gosh darnit I'm glad they are there to offer an alternative to you know what....though I'm sure there are better and one day once somebody break through the stranglehold the corporations have another voice will arise but for now I'm happy with their product....Rachel Maddow is the best out of all the networks....
 Ezzee
Msg: 34
Posted: 10/30/2010 1:31:49 PM
I am so pumped after this rally. It has to be the greatest thing ever. Jon Stewart and Steven Colbert are two of the greatest American alive today in my opinion.
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 10/30/2010 5:25:58 PM
It looks like it pulled off what it wanted to accomplish, which is to show the truth in what Bill Clinton once said : "There is nothing wrong in America that can't be fixed with what is right in America.".

One of the funniest moments came with the introduction of singer and Muslim convert Yusuf Islam, formerly known as Cat Stevens. Islam began to sing "Peace Train", only to be interrupted by Colbert, who said ,"I am not getting on that train", before bringing on heavy metal legend Ozzy Osbourne to sing his 1980s hit, "Crazy Train". The O'Jays later sang "Love Train".

But if there was one group the rally did take genuine aim at, it was the American media. That has long been the true aim of much – if not virtually all – of Colbert's and Stewart's comedy. They have relentlessly gone after the mainstream media, accusing it of laziness, elitism and pandering to power, and generally holding it responsible for a dumbing down of American life.

Colbert's whole stage persona is one gigantic clown act aimed at conservative news pundits. It is no wonder, they say, that young people like the thousands on the Mall barely know what a newspaper is and never watch the evening network news.

"It is a sad commentary that the two most important news shows are on the Comedy Channel," said Cohen. "In their comedic format they are doing what journalists should be doing."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/oct/31/rally-restore-sanity-jon-stewart-washington

Stewart: "We hear every damn day about how fragile our country is -- on the brink of catastrophe, torn by polarizing hate. The truth is, we work together to get things done, every damn day. The only place we don't is here [he points to the city] or on cable TV. But Americans don't live here, or on cable TV."

Stewart: "There are terrorists and racists and Stalinists and theocrats, but those are titles that must be earned. You must have the resume. Not being able to distinguish between a real bigot and ... Rick Sanchez is an insult not only to [Sanchez] but to racists who have put in the exhausting effort it takes to hate."

Stewart: "Unfortunately, one of our main tools in delineating the two is broke. ... The country's 24-hour Political Pundit ... Panic Conflictionator did not cause our problems, but its existence makes solving them that much harder. ... The press can hold its magnifying glass up to our problems and bring them into focus to illuminate the issues -- or they can use that glass to light ants on fire and host a week of shows on the Dangerous Flaming Ant Epidemic. If we amplify everything, we hear nothing."

Stephen Colbert joins Jon Stewart onstage, comes up from his underground Fear Bunker like a Chilean miner, only he's dressed like Evel Knievel, and waving a Chilean flag. He pretends to release bees to send the crowd into a panic.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/tvblog/2010/10/live-video-stewart-colbert-rally.html?hpid=artslot

And perhaps rhe best part is that it was done in a "so American" type of way.
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 11/1/2010 8:27:39 AM

For example, they aren't "fake political pundits." They're comedians.

Well, one definition of pundit is a person who gives opinions in an authoritative manner usually through the mass media (from Meriam Webster). I think Stewart and Colbert qualify under that definition. In fact, political humor is all they do, but political humor has a wealth of material that changes daily, so they can sucessfully do so. And in the speech he gave at the rally, it is one of the first things Stewart calls himself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXmbzLI3pnk&feature=topvideos

What do you call comedians who do airline humor? Fake pilots?

If ALL they did was airline humor, you'd probably call them unemployed. If they did one or two jokes about airplanes or airports mixed in with a lot of other topics you'd call them a standard comedian.

And to MG:

I noticed on your quotes from the WAPO paraphrasing of Stewart's speech that some notable parts were left out.

From the above speech it went a little something like this, (and it is an exact quoting from the above video word for word so anything seeming like typos are Jon's words):

There are terrorists, and rascists, and Stalinists, and theocrats, but those titles that must be earned, you must have the resume. Not being able to distingush between real racists and tea partiers or real bigots and Juan Williams or Rick Sanchez is an insult, not only to those people but to the racists themselves who have put in the exhausting effort it takes to hate.

I wonder what the ratio was of those who gained some respect for Stewart versus those who lost some after the above was uttered.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 37
Posted: 11/1/2010 1:08:51 PM
Yeah, I had the same reaction. The whole point is reasonableness - that was a reasonable statement.

Now, should Williams and Sanchez have been canned? Yeah, probably. These guys aren't plumbers, they're well paid bingo callers. Sanchez's remarks were so far out there that his credibility was seriously damaged; Williams made yet another stupid remark and finally passed his "Sell By" date.

I did see an interesting spin on the rally on a right wing site. It seems there's a myth going around that Beck's rally was bigger and should have gotten more coverage. Of course all objective estimates make this rally about three times the size of Beck's.
 MrLove45
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 11/1/2010 3:07:15 PM
well guys I wouldn't waste anytime on him because he's willingly stuck in beck/hannity/rush/savage/billo/boortz world and reasoning ,facts and truth just don't register in his feeble mind...

that was a geat closing speech by Stewart and if you followed CSPAN afterwards alot of republicans called in and said they were voting dem after being restored to sanity...unfortunately that one (won't ever be ready 4 some fun) is mind is so closed....
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 11/1/2010 4:30:34 PM
I think you guys misunderstand my point. I find nothing offensive at all with what Stewart said. I just noticed in the article in the WAPO that MG quoted they left some of it out
I actually gained respect for him by the comment.

I read it as him stating that Teapartiers are not really racist and Williams and Sanchez are not bigots. Who could be offended by that?

No one should be. But I'm saying some people that have been running around calling tea partiers racists will be offended by it. People around this forum have been saying the tea party is racist since it began. Are you guys saying now that Stewart proclaims it not to be, that leftist opinion will be changed overnight?
If that is the case, then Stewart is beyond a pundit and some kind of magician and should seek public office immediately.
 MrLove45
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 11/1/2010 4:42:36 PM
look : where was the tea party back when bush and the republicans were spending like a drunken salior with an extended liberty pass or expanding the government...heck their spending was so irresponsible that they didn't add the cost of the war to the books...it wasn't til the next fella came along that we found that out and it was put on the books (transparency, hell yea)....but those people were pretty quiet and though everything was running pretty smooth until CHANGE took over...and CHANGE didn't look like them and with the help of fox news and the other unamericans on right wing/ fake christian radio tapped into their biggest fears : people that don't look like them the tea baggers have all of a sudden got top billing by the meda ...and we all know that the tea party and the republicans are the same people...
well it don't really matter anymore ...Mr Stewart made some excellent points...regardless of who wins life will go on, either our president will have a majority, split or both houses against him ...in the event if the repugnicans win and based on not presenting any alternative, workable solutions to any of the economic problems...I have got to see this..I'm going to bet early like I'm expecting santa claus to bring me a present..surely american isn't stupid enough to vote the same people who created the mess back into power ? surely?
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 11/1/2010 10:50:01 PM

surely american isn't stupid enough to vote the same people who created the mess back into power ?

Hopefully not. I hope all the dems AND republicans that caused this mess up for re-election get trounced.

And yes, I do realise Jon Stewart is a comedian. But if you want to try to argue that he doesn't interject some semblance of real personal political opinion that goes beyond laugh getters into his "schtick" myself and a ton of others are going to say you are wrong. There are plenty of political oriented comedians out there, some arguably funnier than Stewart, but then, they aren't holding rallies in D.C. on a date with no significance (but by coincidence two days before a major election) trying to "restore sanity" to a nation.

And if you think about it, would a sitting President with an election in less than a week that could be as shattering to his agenda as this one could really go hang out with some comedian just doing his shtick? I kinda doubt it. You have to admit there is some influence with Stewart beyond schtick, or Keith Olbermann (who I often think is more hilarious than Stewart, but for different reasons) wouldn't have his undies in a bunch over some of Stewarts remarks Sunday, nor would half the "real political pundits" be weighing in so much about it, nor would we be discussing Jon in a thread that has three pages of responses, nor would a ton of people say he is the most trustworthy newsman in America in a recent Time magazine poll. You may opine it's all just schtick, but a lot of people out there take the guy seriously, so therefore it goes beyond schtick.
 .dej
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 11/1/2010 11:04:03 PM

surely american isn't stupid enough to vote the same people who created the mess back into power ? surely?

Nobody else is running.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 43
Posted: 11/2/2010 8:13:32 AM
It's a shame we have such a short memory. Early in the 20th century, the most widely admired man in the US was Will Rogers - a political satirist. Johnny Carson delivered the only criticisms of Reagan that most Americans got hear. Political comedy has always been around and popular; it's just that because it is topical it's forgotten more easily than the politicians (and I'll bet nobody here could name 10 politicians that Will Rogers or Johnny Carson made fun of).

The noise surrounding politics though has become more important than the politics itself. Louder does not mean smarter - this rally was both a rallying cry for rational discussion and a self parody. The fact that a couple of guys from Comedy Central outdrew the widely touted Tea Party and Glenn Beck 3 to 1 means that the vast majority isn't represented by far right loons, and wants to have polite discourse about public policy.

Finally, the Tea Party isn't racist, but there are a lot of racists in it. Saw this today, for example:

In Texas, for example, on the first day of early voting, there were reports of poll watchers, some suspected with ties to a tea party group called “True the Vote,” appearing at minority polling sites in Houston. They reportedly interfered with voters — allegedly watching them vote, following them and engaging in confrontational conversations.

Under Texas law, poll watchers are not allowed to even speak to a voter.

In Minnesota, the tea party-backed “Election Integrity Watch” is offering a $500 bounty to anyone who provides tips about fraud — perhaps encouraging already zealous activists to become over-zealous at the polls.

The organization is urging its volunteers to take pictures and videotape voters at the polls — classic voter intimidation. They advise volunteers to watch for buses at the polling place, then follow and videotape them.

It has also advised volunteers to look for non-citizen voters. It is unclear, however, how a poll watcher would know a voter’s citizenship status — other than by judging appearance or questioning them. This is considered an act of impermissible intimidation.

The Illinois GOP Senate candidate Mark Kirk was caught on a recording talking about a massive poll watcher operation in minority communities. In Massachusetts, tea partiers are also mobilizing. The president of the Greater Boston Tea Party said she was concerned about “Asian-American voters using utility bills to prove their addresses.”
 wisguyingb
Msg: 44
Posted: 11/2/2010 8:50:10 AM
^^It sure must suck to only be a Spectator. My voice was heard today. Plus I was able to get 7 of my friends (that do not normally vote) out to the polls today. It was not easy, but a few weeks of bugging them did the trick. 7 is not much, but they just cancelled out 7 votes from the other side.
 wisguyingb
Msg: 45
Posted: 11/2/2010 10:40:52 AM
LOL, Yeah ok. A bunch of NRA, X military, hunters and fisherman who talk about how much they want to be able to have the right to be able to have a Carry Concealed permit here in Wisconsin. And how much they can't stand Doyle and lefties in general. Carry Concealed will come to us when Walker is elected. And this was the motivation that got them out to the polls.
 wisguyingb
Msg: 46
Posted: 11/2/2010 12:36:38 PM
^^I pushed the right to carry issue on them and got them thinking. And I just got back from taking my sister to the polls to vote for the 1st time since 2000. 7 is now 8!
 Hawaiianluau
Msg: 47
Posted: 11/2/2010 12:43:07 PM

surely american isn't stupid enough to vote the same people who created the mess back into power ? surely?

Nobody else is running.

One of the biggest false premises of all time.
Propaganda at it's finest. Congratulations on your continued perpetuity.
 CountIbli
Msg: 48
Posted: 11/2/2010 6:47:26 PM

The Illinois GOP Senate candidate Mark Kirk was caught on a recording talking about a massive poll watcher operation in minority communities. In Massachusetts, tea partiers are also mobilizing. The president of the Greater Boston Tea Party said she was concerned about “Asian-American voters using utility bills to prove their addresses.”

Most ineffective intimidation campaign in the history of intimidation. Democrats are winning handily everywhere in Massachusetts.

Wait, when did Ben Bernanke and Barney Frank lose power?
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 49
Posted: 11/2/2010 10:52:07 PM

sure must suck to only be a Spectator.

Actually, the only vote I was really concerned about was the California pot initiative. Thank goodness that failed.

If it had passed, prices would have fallen and BC's biggest cash crop would have been in far less demand. A lot of people and whole communities in the interior would have been devastated.

And with a whole lot more Republicans, I'm hoping the "War on Drugs" gets a new impetus. I'm not in the trade myself, but it injects a lot of money into the economy here.
 Hawaiianluau
Msg: 50
Posted: 11/3/2010 12:53:51 AM

A lot of people and whole communities in the interior would have been devastated.

So would cartels and border gangs. More power to illegal activities.
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > The Stewart/Colbert rally 10/30/10