Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > The Stewart/Colbert rally 10/30/10      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 49
The Stewart/Colbert rally 10/30/10Page 4 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)

sure must suck to only be a Spectator.

Actually, the only vote I was really concerned about was the California pot initiative. Thank goodness that failed.

If it had passed, prices would have fallen and BC's biggest cash crop would have been in far less demand. A lot of people and whole communities in the interior would have been devastated.

And with a whole lot more Republicans, I'm hoping the "War on Drugs" gets a new impetus. I'm not in the trade myself, but it injects a lot of money into the economy here.
 Hawaiianluau
Msg: 50
The Stewart/Colbert rally 10/30/10
Posted: 11/3/2010 12:53:51 AM

A lot of people and whole communities in the interior would have been devastated.

So would cartels and border gangs. More power to illegal activities.
 .dej
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 11/3/2010 1:38:05 AM
One of the biggest false premises of all time.
Propaganda at it's finest. Congratulations on your continued perpetuity.

derrrr... what?

Edit: Oh nevermind. You're one of those that thinks it was only the people you didn't like that created a problem. My bad. Carry on.
 Hawaiianluau
Msg: 52
Posted: 11/3/2010 1:32:02 PM
^^^

surely american isn't stupid enough to vote the same people who created the mess back into power ? surely?

In my state they elected the Democrat for governor who's been in the senate for 46 years so in my case we do have the person in power who helped create the mess.
I was referring to the winners yesterday who have never been to the national level yet and were not there to be blamed and yes total false premise.
Nevermind then.
 .dej
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 11/3/2010 2:07:23 PM
My bad. I was just being glib in my first post, referring generally to the collective of Republicans and Democrats, not specifically any particular one.

I'll admit my comment was not a productive one.
 CountIbli
Msg: 54
Posted: 11/3/2010 10:25:56 PM

Nothing serious about this rally other than the faces on the police around Washington D.C. Those guys at the White House are especially prone to frowns.

I think the rally was serious business for the Progressives. If people went to the polls angry they'd vote out the Democrats and vote in the Tea Party. If Stewart/Colbert could get them to calm down the people's short term memories would kick in and they'd vote back in the people who screwed the system up in the first place (well, maybe not the first place because those criminals have been dead for decades).
 Ed Bear
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 11/6/2010 10:44:01 AM
This is really the first time since new US border restrictions demanding a remotely-readable passport or driver's license that I regretted my stubbornness in refusing to get one. Frankly, I wondered if there was any point to such a rally - and I still do - but it must have been a heck of a good time! Haven't been to DC since late seventies, not long after Reagan had to be told that he'd been shot. (Only related event I can recall - not trying to make any point there...)

Is Stewart a pundit? Yes, if a comic one. Is Colbert edgier? Yes. But what Jon Stewart has that almost nobody else has is (as This West-Coast-formerly-east-coast-Canadian sees it) is an unfailing and consistent commitment to decency.

Even on his first show after Sanchez' firing, he defended the man as not a racist - even if his remarks made him unemployable, the totality of his words over many years made it clear he wasn't a racist.

The shrinking middle class in America has changed things - the middle ground is no longer the big plum that wins elections; extremism and polarization are boosted as a result. The elimination (by Reagan, wasn't it?) of the Fairness Doctrine hasn't helped; MSNBC and FOX news watchers will never hear any challenge to their world views. Note that Jon Stewart criticized MSNBC for choosing partisanship over determined reason, and chalked it up to the media's addiction to controversy to boost revenue. I'd add that pay-tv and cable have destroyed TV as a democratizing, uniting medium all the while they were degrading its quality.

It's ironic that up here in Canada, Stewart and Colbert are available on free broadcast TV (I'm talking rabbit ears) but their webcasts are blocked by licensing restrictions I don't understand. Not only that, another network bought the shows just to rerun them on the weekend!

Alas, we didn't get the Rally to Restore Fear/Sanity here at all. Or, if we did, it was at the last minute without warning, like some of their election specials.

In Canada, The Daily Show is flat out the best source of US news coverage we have (not counting the US channels themselves, and BBC, which isn't all that great and isn't free).

We love you, America. Glad to hear unemployment keeps dropping, Obama or no.
ED BEAR

(Canada and British Columbia are both under the heel of Texas-loving conservatives - nowhere near as whacko as tea-baggers - because we have too many centre-left parties splitting the vote!)
 CountIbli
Msg: 56
Posted: 11/6/2010 2:52:12 PM

In Canada, The Daily Show is flat out the best source of US news coverage we have (not counting the US channels themselves, and BBC, which isn't all that great and isn't free).

This is actually pretty sad. The Daily Show and Colbert show just enough of the news to set up their next joke. We really don't get the whole story (or most of it) since it's not the show's purpose to act as a news agency.
 CountIbli
Msg: 57
Posted: 11/6/2010 9:35:03 PM

It would be sad if it had been identified as "flat out the best source of US news coverage we have."

But it wasn't.

It was identified as the best "not counting the US channels themselves, and BBC."

How is that sad?

Because it's not a source for news. It's a source for humor.
 Ed Bear
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 11/7/2010 2:19:12 AM
Seriously, Canadian news does cover the basics of US foreign policy and their elections, but never digs out the kind of local stories and stories about US opinion-makers that The Daily Show does. After all, it's a foreign country, and people who want serious news and can afford cable will watch the US channels.

But reflect again on how decent and gracious Jon Stewart is, even when he's getting people on Fox fired by visiting their shows.
ED BEAR
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 11/7/2010 5:28:55 AM

Because it's not a source for news. It's a source for humor.

Stewart and Colbert are sources for both the humor and truth of what passes for news during this sad state of US media. There are orders of magnitude more truth to be found on these "comedy" shows than one can find in any given half hour on Fox. The liars on Fox would be quite humorous themselves were they not doing so much damage to it's viewership and by extension the US and the world.
 itechman63
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 11/8/2010 1:10:21 PM

This is actually pretty sad. The Daily Show and Colbert show just enough of the news to set up their next joke. We really don't get the whole story (or most of it) since it's not the show's purpose to act as a news agency.

It really is sad when the televised news agencies that like to consider themselves to be serious journalistic outlets have become a bigger joke than actual jokes and when news parody actually does provide at least as much if not more fact.
 flyguy51
Msg: 61
Posted: 11/9/2010 12:13:58 PM
A lot of it is just the inherent lameness and mind-numbingness of the 24 hour news format. If the comedy channel had to satirize the news for 24 hours a day, it would be a dismal failure. There is plenty of comic fodder in the 24 hour news cycle to satirize in half an hour's time.

Quality over quantity is the key.
 Outdoor2
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 11/13/2010 6:17:18 PM
In Canada, you can watch Stewart and Colbert online at thecomedynetwork.ca

You can also watch extended interviews with many guests....much of it never made it to air.
 Ed Bear
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 11/14/2010 11:12:54 AM
Outdoor2: Believe me, I've tried - I don't know if thecomedynetwork.cs wants a subscription or demands that we download a dedicated player (the site keeps mentioning The Comedy Network Video Player, whatever that is), but it just sits there for a half-hour or so and then reports an error whenever I tried it - and I just did again. I suspect they're trying to do something to my computer, and it's secure Linux and won't co-operate.

Beyond that, I do understand that The Daily Show wants to honestly show full interviews without possibly misleading editing, but why not run them over two days? It really bothers me when a TV show or magazine gets me started on a story and then tries to send me to their website for the full story. Even Scientific American is starting to do this, and they cost me a fortune!

Alas, as a dial-up user, I can't stream video anyway, but thecomedynetwork.ca won't work at the library or my friends' places, either.
ED BEAR
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > The Stewart/Colbert rally 10/30/10