Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Improve Your Appearance In 10 Seconds Or Less!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DrummingNut
Msg: 7
Improve Your Appearance In 10 Seconds Or Less!Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)

Seriously, how many men pay attention to an attractive woman's posture anyway?

Quite a few, I'd imagine.
After all, when a woman straightens her back..
her chest pushes out in front.

_TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 8
Improve Your Appearance In 10 Seconds Or Less!
Posted: 9/21/2010 5:01:44 PM

Seriously, long flowing hair, posture and carriage ARE what catch a man's attention from afar..

We aren't all eagle eyes and can't examine every detail until close up..
Posted: 9/21/2010 5:36:44 PM

that's the first thing i look at.

oh wait, i thought you wrote POSTERIOR, never mind ...
 WalksOnWater2
Msg: 10
Posted: 9/21/2010 5:44:01 PM

It costs nothing and can be done instantly.

This reminds my of my mom sneaking behind me and yanking my ponytail when I was a teenager, to make me stand 'upright'.

It did cost me a lot, but at the time I only had dirty looks to pay with.
Leave people alone!

arwen52
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 9/21/2010 6:48:18 PM

Op I am confused( Nothing new in these forums I know). You said the guys picture were about 20 years old and that he was as old as dirt. So are you saying he posted a picture of a man around your age(57) and was in fact a man in his late seventies? Because a man in his late seventies is supposed to have some problems with posture.

Or are you saying that you expected to meet a man in his late thirties but the person that showed up was around your age but a sloucher?

Fair enough question. He told me last night he's 59. He could easily pass for 10 years older. However, I think if he stood up straight he'd look a lot closer to his age.

The photo he posted showed a guy with a full head of black hair and a vibrant looking face. The guy I met last night is grey, bald, and looks seriously aged for his age.

So maybe the numbers don't quite add up - I'm not real great at math. The guy in the photo could have passed for a man in his 40s. The guy I met last night could pass for a man in his late 60s. And his stated age is his late 50s. So, I hope that clears up the apparent discrepancy.

As it is, he looks miserable all slouched over. The guy I was dancing with looks really unattractive when he slouches - pot belly sticking out, head forward. He really looks unattractive, it's a real turn-off, and he comes off as really dull. When he stood up, everything shifted. He looked brighter, he admitted he felt better.

I'm just sayin' . . . there's an awful lot of people out there could look & feel a lot better real fast if they'd just straighten up.
 AintNoDeal
Msg: 12
Posted: 9/21/2010 6:59:14 PM

I'd say a lot more than you'd expect. Good posture can be the difference between Frumpy and Foxy. We don't watch runway models because they have big boobs, because most of them don't. We like seeing women step with a PURPOSE, with CONFIDENCE and with POISE.

Those who hunch and shrink back into the shadows of the alley are ignored....
 arwen52
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 9/21/2010 6:59:34 PM
Op I am confused( Nothing new in these forums I know). You said the guys picture were about 20 years old and that he was as old as dirt. So are you saying he posted a picture of a man around your age(57) and was in fact a man in his late seventies? Because a man in his late seventies is supposed to have some problems with posture.

Or are you saying that you expected to meet a man in his late thirties but the person that showed up was around your age but a sloucher?

Fair enough question. He told me last night he's 59. (I actually hadn't paid much attention to his profile because of interesting questions he'd asked in his email.) He could easily pass for 10 years older. However, I think if he stood up straight he'd look a lot closer to his age. Like I said, some people can't help it but I don't think it's the case with him.

The photo he posted showed a guy with a full head of black hair and a vibrant looking face. The guy I met last night is grey, bald, and looks seriously aged for his age. He claims he's healthy, bikes, etc., but he sure doesn't look like it.

So maybe the numbers don't quite add up - I'm not real great at math. The guy in the photo could have passed for a man in his 40s. The guy I met last night could pass for a man in his late 60s. And his stated age is his late 50s. So, I hope that clears up the apparent discrepancy.

As it is, he looks miserable all slouched over. I mean really bad. The guy I was dancing with looks really unattractive when he slouches - pot belly sticking out, head forward. He really looks unattractive, it's a real turn-off, and he comes off as really dull. When he stood up, everything shifted. He looked brighter, he admitted he felt better. He looked like an okay guy.

I'm just sayin' . . . there's an awful lot of people out there could look & feel a lot better real fast if they'd just straighten up.

I like women who slouch. What else can I say?

Well, you wouldn't like me very much, then. More than once I've been described as "you know, the one who looks like a dancer." I'm not built like a dancer but I stand pretty tall. There are plenty of slouchers around, though, so it should be easy for you!

Most people don't notice it consciously. However, it has a profound effect on your appearance.

oh wait, i thought you wrote POSTERIOR, never mind ...

Well, that looks better, too! ;-)

Yoga can be great to help improve posture. I know I can tell a difference in people looking when I hold my shoulders back and when I don't.

You're right. Anything that improves your awareness of your body can help.

This reminds my of my mom sneaking behind me and yanking my ponytail when I was a teenager, to make me stand 'upright'.

It did cost me a lot, but at the time I only had dirty looks to pay with.
Leave people alone!

I didn't advocate that. That doesn't help. As for the guy I was dancing with - he was in a class to improve his dancing. We *all* help each other there by letting each other know what's making it easier and what's making it more difficult. Others corrected (or tried!) my mistakes, too. We're all there to improve. I'd never do what your mom did. It doesn't help. There are more effective, gentler ways. And if she's paying your medical bills, as long as you're living with her she's got a vested interest. It can screw up your back, give you headaches, etc.

beehearnow
Msg: 15
Posted: 9/21/2010 7:13:08 PM
Not slouching does more than improve your appearance...it also means better overall health due to improved circulation and less pain from slouch-caused pinched spinal nerves...that's from my acupunturist.
 LongLensman
Msg: 17
Posted: 9/21/2010 10:49:12 PM
Whenever I'm shooting corporate headshots the first thing I do is give my subjects posing tips that include posture.
Poor posture is especially apparent in people who sit behind a desk most of their work day.
When I help them look better in the photo it makes me look better as a photographer.
 ilovehistory
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2010 12:49:28 AM

Oh my I can only draw from this that you told him to stop slouching and stand up straight. With all due respect what would make you do such a thing? What if the reason he could not stand straight was a medical one?. You only met the guy once and within minutes you're trying to change him..... How interesting.

She is in a dance class with him and he was having trouble with the dance moves, which she thought would be improved if he stood up straighter, and she noted that he did dance better after taking her advice. She was his dance partner that day and they are expected to critique each other to assist each other in improving their dance skills.
 DrummingNut
Msg: 20
Posted: 9/22/2010 5:49:19 AM

Slouching is closer to laying down than standing up straight is. My goal is to find a woman who is as close to laying down to begin with as possible. A woman who is extremely vertical would be a lot of work to topple, and she might just bounce back upright again. My ideal woman is one beer away from sliding from her recliner onto the shag carpet where the fun begins.
Another good one, az!
 arwen52
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2010 7:00:43 AM
Yes, for anyone who thinks I go around correcting people's posture, please go back and read. We were in a dance class. He wasn't my only partner, we rotated partners. We *all* helped each other out by giving feedback about what worked well and what didn't. I'm a lot more experienced dancer than he is and you just can't dance well and slouch at the same time. The fact that he showed up for an all day class indicated to me he was serious about improving, otherwise I wouldn't have said a word. I've been dancing with this guy for months and I'm glad to see he's taking steps to improve.
 Ideoform
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2010 8:39:57 AM
I'm in a dance class, too. Dancing requires good posture so that you can turn and change position easily. Standing straight also looks better, perhaps because it is an active stance rather than a passive one. It looks like you are ready for anything.

So many people have desk jobs, or jobs which require you to sit for long periods. In this position, your hands are forward, or you hold your phone on your shoulder. This is a very unbalanced way to hold yourself.

If you want to spin in dancing, and you are not standing straight, you will fall over or hit something. Standing straight centers all of your weight (and a person's head weighs 9 pounds) over your feet, allowing you to move in any direction easily. If you lean forward, you can really only go forward...

I think standing straight requires some thought, and shows that you have been doing something active, and that's why it looks good on men. If you stand straight you are a tiny bit taller, and so some people might slouch in order to feel less conspicuous, which would fit the situation the man was in... looking into cheating on his wife by representing himself as single.

Emotions show up in posture. It takes confidence to stand up straight because if you do, you might be challenged to live up to that stance.
 christ on a crutch
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2010 11:48:16 AM
msg 25, is that one of those photoshopped internet hoax cats? whatta monster!
 beehearnow
Msg: 24
Posted: 9/22/2010 3:58:58 PM
^^^ Might be a real cat. I have a cat that big - he weighs 25 lbs and if I try to carry him I hunch my back and slouch. Oh, and don't tell him he's fat - he thinks of himself as big, not fat, and got a clean bill of health on all his tests at the vet. He might bite you
 arwen52
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2010 7:54:12 PM

I'm in a dance class, too. Dancing requires good posture so that you can turn and change position easily. Standing straight also looks better, perhaps because it is an active stance rather than a passive one. It looks like you are ready for anything.

Yeah. It was a Lindy Hop dance. Try to imagine doing that with your gut sticking out, your head forward, and your shoulders slouching. It just doesn't work. It makes for really lousy dancing.

BTW, sorry for the double post a ways back there. I didn't catch it. Now it seems like POF is double boxing me. Whatever.

Another BTW - the married sloucher? I noticed today he's changed his profile picture to something that looks more like him. It's a terrible picture, but at least if he meets anyone else, he won't shock them.
 Ideoform
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2010 8:07:52 PM
I'm learning the Lindy too, but its a difficult step. I love the way it looks when the other's do it right. Its so much fun!

Shocked? I am never shocked. That's why I only meet for coffee, and last time I went for a first meeting I didn't even buy some coffee.

Sigh. My last LTR kissed me the moment he first saw me... If I had been shocked, I might have hit him. As it was...well, that was a very good year.
 Helen0426
Msg: 27
Posted: 9/23/2010 12:20:50 AM

msg 25, is that one of those photoshopped internet hoax cats? whatta monster!

He's pretty awesome, isn't he? A lot of that's fur, too, but he's a big cat. I totally believe it, my orange guy is a monster, too (short-haired, though). A sweet, gentle monster. Everything about him is big; his bear-like paws, his broad face... when he yawns I practically visit Carlsbad.

To topic, I agree about the importance of posture, and for most people, it really is easy; merely a matter of being mindful of it, then it becomes habit quite readily. Keeping the spine straight feels better, as well as improving one's appearance! So it's easy to pick up. I'm sometimes complimented on my own posture, which is nice...

I think I learned it from my mom, a former ballet dancer. She is a bit bowed now from bone loss, but that dance-training posture has stood her in good stead - the slight bowing she has now doesn't hurt her, because the muscular support has stayed solid. For many it can be quite painful. So not only is reasonable posture attractive, I think it's useful, too! I believe it helps one to keep all the back muscles in use during ordinary daily activity, and that this is helpful in avoiding painful problems later in life.
 Ideoform
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 9/23/2010 1:53:36 PM
I have one of those exercise balls by my computer. This is my desk chair. I like to bounce
It keeps my back straight even when I am sitting at my computer.
It doubles for use in doing sit-ups, too.

That hump-back that women (and some men) develop, is from osteoporosis. The bones in the back actually collapse slightly and make it almost impossible for them to stand straight.

People who eat too much or too little protein in a day, too much sugar, and drink a lot of coffee will tend to lose bone mass.
Extreme diets will cause someone to loose bone mass, also.
 arwen52
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 10/1/2010 11:21:52 PM

I'm learning the Lindy too, but its a difficult step. I love the way it looks when the other's do it right. Its so much fun!

I've done east coast swing for forever and yeah, Lindy is not easy. But it's fun. The momentum on the swing-out, when done right, feels really good. I'm gonna have to work at it, though. I thought I was a respectable dancer but this is humbling. I've got the best dancers in town coaching me and I'm having a struggle with it. But it's worth it. I love doing it.

Try going to a "Lindy exchange" some time. It's a blast!

This guy looked like he was sinking into the earth like a blob.

I want to see pictures of that!

Just go to the mall or any bar with overweight middle-aged guys who slump. The world is full of them. I give this guy credit for getting up and moving and trying to learn how to dance.
 Vannili
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 10/2/2010 9:56:06 AM
msg.1 : Thank you for teaching that man and the rest of us about good posture, they taught that in lower grade school in our formative years. but thanks any way for reminding us........
Some of us slouch in our adult years that cost bad posture because of pressures and life challenges that we have hard time finding solutions for it, or working in a dock pier carrying heavy baggage in our back. Ooops! that was in the olden times it is man power that works ,but now it is machine power that do all the heavy works...

In the case of your date, obviously he is carrying a heavy baggage of guilt of dishonesty,by posting a younger picture in his profile and cheating on his wife by dating you..
 ilovehistory
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 10/2/2010 3:44:39 PM

He's pretty awesome, isn't he? A lot of that's fur, too, but he's a big cat. I totally believe it, my orange guy is a monster, too (short-haired, though). A sweet, gentle monster. Everything about him is big; his bear-like paws, his broad face... when he yawns I practically visit Carlsbad.

Yeah, my cat was really that big! He died a couple months ago :( He was 16 yrs old. His greatest love was eating, followed by terrorizing the dog and sleeping. He weighed 22lb.
 Worbug
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 10/4/2010 4:17:39 PM
"Yoga can be great to help improve posture"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
"Downward Facing Dog" is always one of my favorites.

Message #5. I have to agree, works for me, It has become natural after all this time.
 Vannili
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 10/14/2010 4:20:51 AM

I slouch on purpose. It gets my face closer to her tits!

I really don't mind a man who slouched ,or he is a hunchback, as long as he doesn't complained of my hard rock man made tits. What I mind is his height if he is 4'11 and tiptoeing while we are dancing the Lindy to get his face closer to my $25,ooo man made tits. By the way, I am 5'2 + 2 inches heels=5'4.

IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 10/17/2010 2:35:26 PM
CAREFUL THERE DEBRA!javascript:smilie('')
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Improve Your Appearance In 10 Seconds Or Less!