Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > When you trust too soon, are you the fool?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 arwen52
Msg: 51
view profile
History
When you trust too soon, are you the fool?Page 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Trust is something to be earned. A guy I barely knew got offended because I didn't "trust" him when we went out hiking and he obviously had no idea where he was going. He thought I should automatically just trust him. I don't think so. Actually, I learned from that that I *couldn't* trust him because he acted like he knew more than he did. It's not just about being faithful. It's also about being reliable.

However, some people are suspicious from the get-go. You read on forums here - people going out, then checking up on their date when they get home to see if they're online. Who needs it? If you're that suspicious of someone, why bother?

Trust is built over time. When someone is consistent and reliable time and again, then I learn that I can trust them. If they are not, forget it.

One red flag that I look for is when some one expects me to trust them

I don't trust others
I trust my judgment of others
That judgment is always ongoing

Well put.
 CynthiaSMW
Msg: 52
When you trust too soon, are you the fool?
Posted: 9/26/2010 9:29:13 PM

Real trust is earned and grows gradually when a person's words and actions match over time.

Quite the opposite.
I trust until his words and actions don't match.

They date for a matter of weeks or months

the ones who immediately jump off the deep end by "trusting" and not questioning virtual strangers ?

So how long does a person have to 'date' before you trust them? How long until they're no longer "virtual strangers"? I think I missed that page of the rule book.

And why would anyone want to 'date' someone who doesn't trust them?

when they don't give their trust 100% or they check to verify certain facts, they're branded as having "trust issues"! BUL***IT!

There's a name for someone who trusts people immediately...fool!

I'm guessing you frequently hear the word "drama".

I look at it this way - anyone I haven't met yet deserves a measure of trust before I meet them, its the same trust I give anyone really - I trust you're *probably* not out to find some way to 'screw me over', on the flip side - no, I'm not giving you my SSN and credit card information - that kind of trust *is* foolish.

This I agree with
 Amitiel
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 9/26/2010 10:00:46 PM
Trust, but verify.
 Smarts and Heart
Msg: 54
Posted: 9/26/2010 10:04:50 PM
In our Western society people put different values on different things. What I see from these forums is that people's personal value of self has declined over time.

Would you entrust your bank card PIN numbers and bank accounts to someone you met 2-3 times? Would you entrust your car? Your home? Your computer passwords? These are only 'material things'! Yet people entrust and jeapordize their physical and mental well being to strangers daily as is evident by these forums. They rapidly become intimate and create psuedo relationships on preconceived assumptions. To "trust" is to make yourself vulnerable to, and to assume that a total stranger will act in a pre-determined way so as to not betray that trust. We're not taking about platonic friendships, we're talking about the most intimate of relationships.
How can you make that assumption about an unknown person's behaviour, and then complain, when it's not what you thought it should be? Perhaps that is the "norm" for that person. People are berated throughout these forums for jumping into relationship too fast and then you have people who are berated for being cautious.

It was another thread where the OP was asking whether she should confront a new guy she had been with, a few weeks, concerning his fishing activities on POF, mere weeks after they had mutually agreed to hide their profiles and become exclusive , that got me going. The response by many was that SHE had "trust issues" because she checked on him! Talk about advocating the ostridge mentally! She wouldn't have a "trust issue" if his actions weren't contrary to their agreement. Her checking would have re-affirmed her trust, if his words and actions had matched, thus building that trust. This had nothing to do with her past relationships, this had to do with HIS present actions. At what point does one say well I have a right to know?

To those that say "I trust everyone" until they give me a reason not to...what would that reason be? A possible STD? An undisclosed marriage? A person with multiple partners? Emptied bank accounts? Undisclosed criminal records? Constant failed short "relationships" which emotionally drain you and depress you?
There's no sense in crying over spilt milk if you don't take a minimum degree of care. One has to be accountable for their own actions.

I'm not advocating not trusting anyone; I'm advocating valuing one's self enough to want to take a minimum degree of precaution before foolishly trusting blindly. You meet someone and yes, you accept them at face value initially. When what is told to be true starts to be shown to be true, that's when trust is re-affirmed.

If all one is looking for is sex then none of this is relevant. They won't need to ask questions, because there's no intention of a LTR; just use condoms at the least!
But what I see here is mis-communication or deliberate misrepresentation of intentions that people are crying over. The ones that are looking for sex won't stick around long enough to want to share anything about themselves, nor will they be too concerned with finding anything about you. They'll "trust" you as they hope you'll "trust" them since you don't have to "prove" anything to each other!

A simple google search with my name would verify quite a bit about me. Interacting within my circle of friends would tell you even more. Talking to me would give you a sense of my values and mores; it just takes a little bit of time investment! What's the rush?! Is one's mental and physical well-being not worth it?

You have to love and value yourself first before you can expect someone else to. Wanting to know something about a person you're going to persue a possible relationship with and become intimate with, isn't being unreasonable; It's being responsible to each other and respecting each other's comfort level.
Msg: 55
Posted: 9/27/2010 2:01:34 AM
I agree with you op.Truth is earned over time not given at the drop of a hat.Everything we do and the more the we get to know each other is how trust is built.Just because you have known someone a month is no need to be foolish enough to trust them with your credit cards and pin number for your bank card,but it is enough time to trust them enough to get into a car with them,be alone with them and trust that they are not going to physically hurt you.

Just because a complete stranger who I have met once tells me that though he is still legally married he and his wife are separated and getting divorced.It may not be true and it may be true,but that does not mean that I will take him at his word just because he says so.It also doesn't mean I am going to automatically think he is lying.I will simply take the stance of wait and see.
 Walts
Msg: 56
Posted: 9/27/2010 5:10:33 AM
I think we are getting a little mixed up in how much we initially involve ourselves with a newly met person in regards to this "trust" thingy. Just like I wouldn't just give my PIN for bank account to someone I have just met and getting to know, I wouldn't give them my heart,,,,,or soul,,,,initially. Has very little to do with "trust", but more along the lines of common sense.

Initially, I'll "trust" that you won't waste my time,,,meeting for a coffee, waiting for a phone call, looking for that reply from an e-mail. If this fails,,,what have I lost????? Time???? A little effort on my part???? Not a biggie. If I don't, at the very least, "trust" someone with a little part of me, how do I, in good consience, ASK them, for a part of themselves????

Reading some of these replies, you now see an example of why there is confusion out there in this dating world, especially with those around my age. Too scared to give up "a little", in fear of losing "a lot". I see why now that most cannot even come close to opening the door that I have left slightly ajar. Too scared to lose even just a little bit of themselves(or even expose themselves a tad).
 abelian
Msg: 57
Posted: 9/27/2010 6:50:42 AM
Most people seem to confuse trust with willful ignorance. I trust my fiancee, but if something she told me did not add up, I'd make sure that it did add up. I'm willing to trust someone, but only to the extent that I don't have to pretend I'm stupid.
 belas
Msg: 58
Posted: 9/27/2010 7:17:18 AM
If you watch this video:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3494530275568693212#

you will realise a few things (but ill talk about what the vid is about in short for those without the time to watch it)

Basically... relationships can be of three types:

1.) win - win
2.) win - lose
3.) lose - lose

I'm going to assume that everyone knows the prisoners dilemma game. Now, based on that game, you can have different strategies based on the three types of relationships that I listed. Besides that you also have long term and short term relationships. The different strategies based on the types of relationships, work differently in the short and long term relationships whereby strategies that are consistent with win-win mentalities/foundations whatever you want to call them, work best for long term relationships whilst win-lose works best when you don't know the other person.

To put it plainly... if you are in a public place and someone cuts the line in front of you, it's a win-lose situation if you let them cut in i.e. you've lost. So in the short run, it's best to be an aggressive, rude, brash **stard. This is why people that are after a short term relationship will lie, and do whatever it takes to get what they want from that relationship.

However, unless you're a walkover, in a relationship whereby you meet someone constantly, you will not allow the other person to take advantage of you for long. So inevitably, that person will basically have to and look elsewhere for whatever they are looking for.

Now... here's the important bit of information... when they tested different strategies based on the three basic ones in the long term scenario, to see which ones would win, it was the win-win scenarios that were the best and the ones that were centered around win-lose, ended up at the bottom of the pile. And even more precisely, the best strategy was tit far tat, in other words, if someone double crosses you, you double cross them back and do so until they are nice to you again but you always start the relationship by sharing rather than stealing as per the prisoners dilemma game.

So how does this work in the real world? Well, it's simple (at least in theory and in the most basic relationships... the ones that just gel) anyway, basically, if you become trusting from day one and they become trusting from day one, then you're doing the sharing as per the prisoners dilemma game (which is the best mutual outcome in the long run - hence why win-win wins in the long run), if the other person suddenly starts to cheat, then you need to start to cheat i.e. if they start to lie to you etc, then you lie to them. If they continue to lie, then the relationship will break down. If they were lying from day one, then it's simple, it's simply time to move on. But t he point is this... always be trusting from day one... after all, it's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved and lost. If you don't become that fool as OP suggested, then you are not starting the relationship on the right foot and if the other person is playing using tit for tat then they will immediately start to screw up the relationship back in revenge and the relationship is destined to fail.

To sum up:
Trust! Always! But run if something doesnt smell right, because in the long run, you will win, and the other person will lose as you will eventually find that right person, while the other person will continue to play the game with a strategy that is destined to reap worse results.
 stone-1
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 9/27/2010 7:59:30 AM

Why not start every relationship based on trust? Trust is earned only after it has been broken, prior to it being broken, it was given.

I honestly believe that those with the most inability to trust are the least trustworthy.

If there starts to be a big factual disconnect, I'd prolly begin to decouple the trust connect.

Nobody wants to be taken advantage of....
When we're noticing things that don't add up, we need to trust ourselves.

I've noticed that when people act like they don't believe something I've said, I really need to be on guard around them...

Liars see liars everywhere. Thieves think everyone steals. Cheaters expect to catch their partner cheating....

We tend to see ourselves in everyone.

This isn't to say that we can't learn to spot untrustworthy people, but we should not start with the assumption that everyone we meet is a liar & a cheat...

If we find ourselves with liars and cheaters everytime we get involved, we need to look at ourselves, and attempt to understand why we are choosing these people. We need to slow down and not jump in the sack as quickly.
 belas
Msg: 60
Posted: 9/27/2010 8:02:10 AM
V. Good post.

Adding for length
 TDH49
Msg: 61
Posted: 9/27/2010 8:08:28 AM
It was another thread where the OP was asking whether she should confront a new guy she had been with, a few weeks, concerning his fishing activities on POF, mere weeks after they had mutually agreed to hide their profiles and become exclusive

Classic case of the pot calling the kettle black. She agreed to hide her profile yet she had to log into POF to check up on him. Maybe he was logging into POF to do the same, check up on her. Like does attract like.

Besides who in their right mind becomes exclusive with someone they only know a few weeks? Can you truly get to know someone in that short a time?.

When I decide to become exclusive with someone, I don't have to go running around trying to catch them doing anything because I totally trust them, if I didn't trust them totally I would not ask them to become exclusive.

Trust, but verify

That's not trust at all but totally the opposite. If you trust someone there is no need to verify.

wanting to know something about a person you're going to persue a possible relationship with and become intimate with, isn't being unreasonable; It's being responsible to each other and respecting each others comfort level

Nobody ever said this was unreasonable. The way I usually find out these things is by asking the person I am interested in. I ask questions to them to which I get answers. I don't then go running around behind their back trying to verify what I was told. I take what they tell me at face value, if at some point in the future I find out different I will then act on it.

Relationships are hard enough without self sabotage. Some of us spend more time trying to catch a potential partner in lies than they do trying to move the potential relationship in a positive direction.

Would you entrust your bank card PIN number and bank accounts to someone you just met 2/3 times

This remind me of the old lady that was in the news about a month ago. The one that got stopped by someone on the street asking for money to get something to eat. She had no change to give him but gave him her credit card instead to go buy something with. She waited and within a few minutes the bum returned with her credit card, he only used it for exactly what they had agreed on. Blind trust in a totally stranger being rewarded by that stranger showing themself worthy of that trust. Internet dating can take a few lessons from this story.

But using such an example here is just silly. This is not what this thread is about.
 cookie22222
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 9/27/2010 8:09:31 AM
OP - in your last post you talked about being "vulnerable" as if that were such a bad thing. I have no trouble with that myself - because in giving and receiving love, I have in my life found such joy...and it is for me, the very thing that makes the world go round. Have I been hurt? Of course I have.

I trust people, until they give me reason not to. My "personal value of self" has not declined; in fact, I believe it has increased, giving me the ability to trust. I know who I am, and I trust myself enough to believe I can see who I want in my life, at all levels.

God save me from looking at my life through eyes of distrust, and cynicism. My finest quality, I believe, is my heart. My desire to believe, like Anne Frank, that most people are good at heart. Screwed up and beat up by their pasts, sure, some are...but perhaps the idea of wanting to hurt another is so far from who I am, I just have trouble believing that it is such a norm.

I believe what people tell me. If it turns out to be untrue...I have been known to walk away.

As for the more "tangible", like giving your PIN to someone you've met twice...now that's just silliness. There are levels of trust...I will believe someone when they tell me who they are, unless they show me different. Trust builds over time. I have a very dear friend, who, if he called me and said, I need you, come - I'd be on the next plane, as we would for me...I wouldn't need an explanation.

As for those who see cheating around every corner - I'm sorry, I see that as either a problem they had with someone else, and I refuse to take the heat for something I didn't do; or, they have such a low sense of self worth that they can't believe someone would chose to be with them. I don't do well with either of those circumstances. But come to think of it - I've never really had to deal with either in anything that lasted more than a date or two.

Trust comes down to who you are. There are those who think with their heads, and those who follow their hearts.
 PandaBeast
Msg: 63
Posted: 9/27/2010 12:56:04 PM
What I learned from previous relationships is that trust has to be earned. You can't just give your trust to someone and hope that they won't fvck you over later.
You gotta start of with honesty and respect. When both of those things are gone, you need to get out without giving them your trusts.

I will never trust someone that easily again. It has to be earned and that person has to prove that they deserve my trust. If someone messes up again, I won't give them a second chance, cause people don't change for other people.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 64
Posted: 9/27/2010 1:40:16 PM
It all depends on what you're trusting someone on. Giving out your debit card and your pin code to run to the ATM to grab a few hundred bucks for ya, after a couple dates? Ehh, even of folks that seem totally trust-worthy, no.

Trusting them by telling you your last name if it's pretty unique? I could see that by waiting to meet them first... could go either way with that on the paranoid-freaks "needing" to do background checks... or stalker-like people "needing" to background checks that give out a lot of info (which can be inaccurate anyway).

Trust them by not lying about what part of the city you live? Yeah. Trust them by after meeting, they walk you to your car and they seem pretty cool and you like them? Sure. Trust them to go over to their place or yours after a 2nd date if it's not out in the boonies? Sure.

And there's different kinds of trust -- like trusting their emotions (are they stable emotions?)... or trusting that they're great with kids... or trusting that they aren't too moody... that sort of stuff. But don't dwell on that stuff -- learn to get to know them and that comes naturally.

Basically, an anti-guy or anti-girl thing is only going to cause problems. Trust in feelings tends to be the big whammy people run into. For that, just take things emotionally slow and don't like your "gut" or "heart" be your "guide". Sometimes we can't do that until we go thru getting burned 5 or 6 times, but hopefully that gets quelled by the time someone's in their mid 20s.

But don't have an anti-guy or anti-girl chip on your shoulder when going thru things. Nobody likes that, nor should they. They aren't obligated to prove something to ya... and no matter what, no, you aren't that special that they should.
 CMonster
Msg: 65
Posted: 9/27/2010 3:54:36 PM
I trust people, until they give me reason not to. My "personal value of self" has not declined; in fact, I believe it has increased, giving me the ability to trust. I know who I am, and I trust myself enough to believe I can see who I want in my life, at all levels.

Now that's what I'm talking about. There's a level of courage and confidence available to you when you have trust in yourself first and foremost. You're neither naive enough to be oblivious to what could happen nor are you so afraid as to intensely believe that the worse will happen. There's a happy medium where optimism and realism are in balance.
 daynadaze
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 9/27/2010 4:28:15 PM

So how long does a person have to 'date' before you trust them? How long until they're no longer "virtual strangers"? I think I missed that page of the rule book.

And why would anyone want to 'date' someone who doesn't trust them?

I didn't realize there needed to be a 'rule book' I thought common sense would cover it. You don't have to jump between trust &| not trusting, there's a space there before your know a person that you are just cautious or observing. Why would I just trust away, why wouldn't I get to know someone then see if they are trustworthy or not?
 sweetest
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 9/28/2010 9:34:55 AM
I think that when people hold on to a rather significant 'fixed' position and when its application seems more, not less by rote...across the board, than on a case by case kind of thing, that possibly this person could lose out on more than is obvious.Far better and ultimately more rewarding IMHO to live within an approach and framework of optimism rather than to be overly invested in all things negative and living a life through what seems to me anyway, a kind of negative pessimistic lens.

Of course some people aren't trustworthy, but being an optimist I don't see numbers out there suggesting that there's an overwhelming mob run amok---I genuinely believe most as trustworthy and extend that back to them by default.

I trust myself to figure and suss things out that are intangibles and vibes that speak to duplicity. I've rarely been duped, and while it will likely happen again,I don't feel personally that adopting this fortress / clinical world view attitude does anyone involved in the process much good, nor is it a viable method to protect me from being hurt.

Much better imo, to operate from what is overwhelmingly the greater truth...which is most people are intrinsically good...most people are motivated to do good things, and will act accordingly. This style works well when you understand your own gut feelings and trust them as a support system...I do.

That said, I don't believe I've got any superior teflon coated resolve that keeps me out of harms way more than the next guy/gal. I choose to not to be rather pessimistic right from the onset as doing otherwise suggests perhaps a greater harm...which is that I might never be on that footpath to creating a little bit of wonderful for myself if I do. Life happens warts and all. One cannot create a broad enough filter for every possible permutation whether imagined or real. jmo.
 bcsofnc57
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 9/28/2010 6:48:58 PM
I trust a person until they give me a reason not to trust them. Once that happens it is almost impossible for me to trust them again.
 CynthiaSMW
Msg: 69
Posted: 9/28/2010 8:53:01 PM

Of course some people aren't trustworthy, but ... I don't see numbers out there suggesting that there's an overwhelming mob run amok---I genuinely believe most as trustworthy and extend that back to them by default.

I trust myself to figure and suss things out that are intangibles and vibes that speak to duplicity. I've [occaionally] been duped, and while it will likely happen again,I don't feel personally that adopting this fortress / clinical world view attitude does anyone involved in the process much good, nor is it a viable method to protect me from being hurt.

Much better imo, to operate from what is overwhelmingly the greater truth...which is most people are intrinsically good...most people are motivated to do good things, and will act accordingly. This style works well when you understand your own gut feelings and trust them as a support system...I do.

That said, I don't believe I've got any superior teflon coated resolve that keeps me out of harms way more than the next guy/gal. I choose to not to be rather pessimistic right from the onset as doing otherwise suggests perhaps a greater harm...which is that I might never be on that footpath to creating a little bit of wonderful for myself if I do. Life happens warts and all. One cannot create a broad enough filter for every possible permutation whether imagined or real.

Thank you, sweetest
 Delete_Me_Please
Msg: 70
Posted: 9/28/2010 9:24:05 PM

If you trust someone there is no need to verify.

I think that's the motto that keeps Fox News in business.

The only people I trust 100% are my family members because they've given me 39 years of proof that they are looking out for my interests. Anybody else starts out with a modicum of trust and they have to earn their way up the trust ladder.

I'm not so arrogant to believe that my intuition is always correct so I would neither embrace someone wholeheartedly nor reject them based on intuition alone. One plus one should always equal two so when it doesn't, I'm going to obtain additional information rather than keeping blinders on. You can look at it as a lack of trust or as a way to acquire additional trust by eliminating distrust. But anybody who assumes the person they love won't ever lie to them doesn't know much about people. At best your trust should be that they don't want to see you hurt... and sometimes they'll lie to accomplish that.

I'll add that the people I trust the least are the ones who preach about honesty. I can guarantee they have a few lies in their repertoire so they strike me as utter phonies.
 kailania
Msg: 71
Posted: 9/29/2010 10:24:20 AM
i agree with Smarts and Heart and Aloo.
and i only read a few of these.
no more trusting too soon for me...
i will go slowly on that...get to know a person,
their actions have to match what they say on a consistent basis.
only time can tell.
what is wrong with verifying? if it eliminates mistrust?
(like Aloo has suggested)
i would love to be able to trust my own intuition....but that too can possibly be wrong.
isnt it better to verify than to leave someone because of wrong intuition?
 scenesoflife
Msg: 72
Posted: 9/29/2010 10:29:17 AM
doesn't the thread title sort of already has the answer in it..?

trusting "too" soon..??

....also.. reading some replies.. Im not surprised...
this hostile enviroment that is alive here in the forums..
everybody is an a**hole or a b*tch blah blah
I say this hostility, yes it is hostility, not trusting, is a sign of unresolved problems and or trauma's from past experiences..

if you dont trust the person youre getting to know, there isnt much use "dating" is there..?
it says to me: "prove to me youre worth my attention"
I find this ridiculous...

personally I feel I don't need to prove anything to anyone..take it or leave it.

DemonLeather
Msg: 73
Posted: 9/29/2010 2:45:24 PM
"When you trust to soon, are you a fool??

YES YOU ARE!!!! and you are even more foolish when you say .." I thought they would change"

But... I can change,.. TRUST me!
 Redlance71
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 9/29/2010 7:45:25 PM
I totally agree OP. Trust is earned. Have been guilty of handing too much trust over early on in my past.
The flip side though is when they don't trust you based on experiences with thier exes. Last wife was certain I was going to be like her ex hubby and do sneaky online activities and porn and stuff. I have no room for porn in my life, and all of my accounts are click and open. I had and still have nothing to hide but her habit of "checking" on me irritated me, felt she had no cause. I felt no need to do the same thing. I met her on PoF and took her awhile of spying on my forum comments to realize my pof posts were normal activities for me. One of my favorite movie quotes is "Assumption is the mother of all F-ups" and if someone wants to go around expecting the worst they lower they quality of life for both themselves and thier S.O.
 treselle
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 9/29/2010 8:35:58 PM
Dishonest people are the ones with issues. The ones who pretend to be someone they are not, who lie, manipulate, use and abuse others. Just because there are such people, the honest ones should not blame themselves for trusting easily or anything else that could be prevented if only they were questioning everything. Yes, honest people can become victims. It's life. You risk every moment and you do not know what will happen to you.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > When you trust too soon, are you the fool?