Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 BoonDockSaint73
Msg: 4
Is this even possible?Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
OP- you must think this girl is freaking H-O-T

HOT

where would your butterflies flutter off to if she showed up 100 pounds overweight and 20 years older than her pic?

we are not in wartime and there is no shortage of men these days....so while it is possible...most likely it is just an infatuation the 2 of yall are both indulging in.

hopefully it'll be real on both parties.
 StarshipNarrator
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Is this even possible?
Posted: 10/5/2010 6:11:19 PM
You can fall for the idea of them or your imagination of them. When you talk to someone and get attached online before meeting then the actual meet can backfire. If something doesn't add up to your preconceived rundown of how it was going to go then you'll feel weird. Text and phone calls are a really small percentage (arguably no percentage) of the person you're really dealing with.
 bcsofnc57
Msg: 8
Is this even possible?
Posted: 10/5/2010 6:24:26 PM
I think you can "fall" for the illusion of her that you have created in your mind, but I do not think you can "fall" for someone that you have never seen in person.
 daynadaze
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Is this even possible?
Posted: 10/5/2010 7:01:05 PM
It's called anticipation, we all get it for one reason or another. I use to get it when meeting a new person, now I'm more inclined to feel that when when it's time for my SS check to show up or I actually slept 8 hours....in a row.

Have fun, enjoy, it's exciting, but don't think it's some psychic premonition.
 softy63
Msg: 11
Is this even possible?
Posted: 10/5/2010 7:17:32 PM

where would your butterflies flutter off to if she showed up 100 pounds overweight and 20 years older than her pic?

Good point. Unfortunately it does happen and photos aren't necessarily accurate. The photos you're "falling for" could be her friend, her next door neighbour etc. I know its deceptive and I know its wrong but people do it.

I lean towards web cam now. We can see and hear each other, our mannerisms, our facial expressions etc. I NEVER use it for sexual propositions!!! If and when that happens (which it did once) I blocked the user. I've otherwise found web cam a useful tool to see the person before I meet them.
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 14
Is this even possible?
Posted: 10/5/2010 8:22:15 PM
You're e-fatuated.

Think of it as a mental sockpuppet
until you meet.

So cool your jets and curb your enthusiasm till when(if) you do.

good luck.
Hope things go well.
 ChancesRMD
Msg: 15
Is this even possible?
Posted: 10/5/2010 8:25:46 PM
Just don't build up high expectations. The criteria for a friend vs. a lover is quite different. Go into it with the hope of making a friend first and if it develops into something more that's a bonus.

Maybe it's an age thing. I'm alot older than you. If they live close by I just meet them. No expectation other than to share a few stories and laughs. If they live further away? Well you better figure out how that's going to work before you even think about taking that first step.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 23
Is this even possible?
Posted: 10/6/2010 4:11:53 PM
If you both click in person, it won't have anything to do with what happened before you met - but it'll seem like it did because your expectations will have a positive outcome. If you don't click - it'll be interesting to realize you're at square one. Truth is what you're feeling now is wishful thinking and that's different from face to face attraction and interest. The two aren't really connected.
 Twilightslove
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Is this even possible?
Posted: 10/6/2010 4:45:16 PM
Oh to be so young again. To be so excited about the possibilities of another person being exactly what we want in life. To feel so good that we tell them anything and everything over the phone and they in turn do the same.

You are so lucky in so many ways and yet realistically the best way to know if you feel these wonderful feelings for her is to meet her in person.

I can tell you that one man I chatted with for quite a long time and finally met brought such a smile upon both of our faces. It was as if we had been close friends for years and years. I still smile thinking about him. Yet, when all was said and done he was not the right man for me nor was I the right person for him.

I hope you have a great time when you meet her and that both of you feel the same way you are feeling now. It is so nice to have those butterflies and the warm feelings that come with it.

Go for it!!! Meet her in person. If nothing else, you will have someone to share an afternoon or evening with and hopefully it will turn out to be many.
 Stormwolf
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Is this even possible?
Posted: 10/6/2010 5:20:15 PM
OP,
Hope for the best but prepare for the worst. Anything is possible.
 bikeman1467
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Is this even possible?
Posted: 10/6/2010 8:05:34 PM
OP, my fellow Jersey dude, YES it is possible you have FALLEN for her, but at this point it is an infatuation at best, and for goodness sake you haven't even met the young lady yet. OP, you're 22; wait til you've gone on a few internet dates where you "clicked" on the phone, think you've "clicked" in person, and the other person just goes POOF, lacking the courage to tell you their true feelings, just leading you on. This has happened to me at least half a dozen times. Good luck to you!
 BoonDockSaint73
Msg: 30
Is this even possible?
Posted: 10/6/2010 8:45:02 PM

There is no such thing as falling for someone over the net, so they need to stop putting that in his head

while I tend to agree with you - how do you describe incidents of folks back in the day falling in love with pen pals....meeting/marrying and staying married, in love forever?
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 31
Is this even possible?
Posted: 10/7/2010 10:32:48 AM
^^^Same thing. Hopeful/wishful thinking that happened to turn out positive. Who you hope someone is when you get there has nothing to do with who they are when you do get there. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. You cannot determine physical attraction any other way but in person.
 ladyc4
Msg: 33
Is this even possible?
Posted: 10/7/2010 11:57:29 AM
OP
Your imagination is writing a check that reality may or may not be able to cash.
It does sound like there may be some emotional/mental chemistry happening, but it takes several types of chemistry to make a truly good longterm relationship come about, and that may-or may not-all become immediately apparent on the first in-person meeting. or it just may not be there at all. I wish you best of luck,though!
Cindy O
 weathervanes
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Is this even possible?
Posted: 10/7/2010 12:00:34 PM
Go meet her...what's the worst that can happen...one or both of you say "no"?. Take a small token of appreciation also, a single rose maybe.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 37
Is this even possible?
Posted: 10/9/2010 1:07:10 PM

I met this girl on this site a few weeks ago and I have talked to her almost everyday through texts and phone calls. Sent each other pictures of ourselves and just have talked for two weeks. I feel weird because I have never met this girl, but she gives me like this butterfly feeling. We are meeting next week and she too says she has that feeling. is this even possible, that I can fall for a girl I have not met in person yet?

It's possible. I have had EBF (electronic boyfriends) that have been much longer term boyfriends than some of those I've met in the real world. The difference is? I don't really know them, so it's easy to be all freshly in like/love. The harsh reality is? Until it's real? It isn't!!!! JMO
 ChancesRMD
Msg: 41
Is this even possible?
Posted: 10/12/2010 7:07:36 PM

I have had EBF (electronic boyfriends)

I don't think those were butterflies you were feeling.
 VivaciousVixen2010
Msg: 42
Is this even possible?
Posted: 10/13/2010 12:06:52 AM
Eh, has anybody ever heard the song "Tainted Love?" I used to wish also.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >