Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Turning 50....does everyone experience a twinge?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Sabrosura089
Msg: 27
Turning 50....does everyone experience a twinge?Page 2 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
if only it were just a twinge....

my friends are convinced i've entered full-blown depression and are trying to get me to go to the doctor about it...

^^My Aunt went through the same thing. She was NOT looking forward to her "50"! She appears to be obsessed with cosmetic surgery (light stuff i.e. botox, etc...).

I hope you're feeling better........

OP: I don't know how I'll feel when I approach my 50! I didn't really have any negative effects when turning 30, 40.....so we shall see.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 28
Turning 50....does everyone experience a twinge?
Posted: 10/13/2010 11:10:24 AM
I can't remember experiencing any twinge at any age, unless it
was when I was younger and I've forgotten.
I LOVE birthdays...we always make a big deal out of them in my
family. My daughter's and I always have the day off (for theirs and
mine) and we spend the whole day doing something. Usually it means
wearing party dresses, sometimes we go to shows, sometimes to
museums, once we just went to a giant furniture store and walked
around pointing out what we'd buy if we were millionaires.

My 60 is just a few years away and I'm hoping we're having a party!

anogamesgirl1
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 10/13/2010 11:45:41 AM
No big deal to me. Will be 52 shortly and the 'age thing' hasn't really bothered me yet
 kangarucci
Msg: 30
Posted: 10/16/2010 5:14:37 AM
I recently turned 60 and the only twinges I get are from sitting too long driving around Australia. I am having the time of my life...responsible for only me, working when I feel like it and our $ is worth a whole lot more now.
 DivineBovine
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 10/17/2010 5:19:07 PM

I have just turned 50 this year and I hate it!!

thank ghu, i'm not the only one!

and Rob... all due respect, but the next person who tells me "it beats the alternative" is going to get kicked - hard! i know from painful personal experience that not everyone gets to live to this age, but it still doesn't mean i have to *like* it.

*sigh*

as malckyb said "i have the head of a 25 year old!!" and i am fortunate that good genes, a lot of sunscreen and Botox still reflect back the face of someone about 35 in the mirror.
 c_deacon
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 10/18/2010 11:35:31 AM
I have yet to feel my age, other than needing Ibprofin more often, so it really does not bother me, if it does not matter to you!!

If we are good together, enjoy each other, and most say we look good together, why sweat it??? Your age and my age is not what matters, it is what we enjoy and do together that does!!

cd......
 weathervanes
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 10/18/2010 11:41:34 AM
The best reply yet...its what you make of future opportunities not "coulda, shoulda". Me--58 and don't feel a day of it...Cheers one & all!
 GrandmaBooBoo
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 10/18/2010 12:51:32 PM
Well Ms Fall N.... my considered personal opinion is that no way, no how...can you even think about topping your 40s...which...I think heaven would be...to be born at 39...and get to live through your 40s for about 50 years...and then die happy! LOL! HOWEVER, I see no reason why the 50's have to be a whole lot different...IF your health is good. Unfortunately, things start catching up with you when you hit 50...so as long as you can outrun them; I'd say you're in for more great years ahead!

Unfortunately, back problems caught up with me....and while I still stubbornly sport the 5" heels...LOL! I can't run to well in them...with my cane! LOL! I have found however, that there's still a lot of fun to be had in life...using senility to MY advantage! LOL! it let's me say what the hell I want to say....and let the bodies fall where they may! :-)
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 36
Posted: 10/20/2010 4:44:47 PM
I just turned 49.
So got a year to go.

You know things under 50 are merely considered old or used.
But 50...aaahh that's VINTAGE!
 Walts
Msg: 37
Posted: 10/30/2010 4:23:58 AM
Give me a couple months, and I'll get right back to ya.

Smarts and Heart
Msg: 39
Posted: 11/25/2010 8:10:26 PM
At 50 we're like a fine wine....getting better with age! Lol!
Forget the number, it's the way you feel inside that you should worry about. Keep your spirits up and your body healthy and trust me you won't feel any different. I have never felt better and I can truthfully say I can do anything I put my mind to. Just be happy. Every year is a blessing.

My daughter once hugged me during a difficult time in our family when my mom was battling cancer and said, "Mom, promise me you'll never get old" I looked at her, hugged her back and said " Honey, there's only one option to not getting old...it's dying young. I pray that God gives me the opportunity to get old so that I can enjoy you, your brothers and your children, as grandma has."

Find the positive in ever situation and embrace what life throws your way. It can keep getting better.
 safn1949
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 11/28/2010 5:44:51 PM
55 bothered me for a while,but it had a lot to do with getting hurt and having to put an adventure on hold for a couple of years.But I'm all better now....really....phooey.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 41
Posted: 12/4/2010 7:25:11 PM
I am looking at 60 in two years and that isn't even causing a twinge.

I won't say that "it" is not about age, but there are other factors. If a person doesn't feel good about her/himself turning 40, 50, or 60 (and maybe 70, I'll let you know when I am closer) then that person is not comfortable with who he/she is. That person is putting much too much emphasis on youth.

I look and feel good. If I were obese or had health problems, I would fear aging because those types of physical aspects get worse with age.

I look around and I see many women who are not as fit as I am, yet they are much younger. It is about the individual, not the group.
 Janet_Always
Msg: 42
Posted: 12/14/2010 6:08:19 AM
I turned 50 on my last birthday and it was no big deal... by the time I got there I had so much time to get used to the idea so it didn't sound so bad.

Now 60 seems old -- but I have (almost) 10 years to get used to that one, too :)
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 44
Posted: 1/11/2011 9:59:32 PM
...Oh my gosh...just celebrated another birthday in December and to be honest, I felt no twinges...a bit of a hangover the day after.. but nary a twinge....lol

JUST TO LET YA'LL IN ON A LITTLE SECRET....oops I guess I should lower my voice. Anyway...how I feel about my age depends upon my mood, somedays I wake up feeling, happy, healthy and I look in the mirror and say to myself, "You look marvelous darling."

Then other days I wake up...go look in the mirror and discover more grey hair....hairs growing where they shouldn't and another damn wrinkle. That's when I run from the room screaming... Aaaargh!!!! How in the hell did I get this old?

...mae
 DrummingNut
Msg: 45
Posted: 1/14/2011 8:07:45 AM
My "twinges" come when I put the cable tv on the classic rock channel and glance at the screen now and then to read the little one line information blurbs they'll stick up.. and I see the ages or the dates of deaths of the band members.
(what the heck are John,Paul,Ringo,George (if they were all alive) doing being near 70 years old???? WHAT? Near 70???? Crap.)
Then I think, well you are one year away from 60.
Enter twinge.
 kari135
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2011 9:34:13 AM

I felt the twinge and other oddly sad feelings at 40. When 50 came, I was too busy spinning wheels to notice. In 3 years, ask me about 60 ...

Kind of like that for me, too - there I was, 39 and pushing 40! There were so many things I'd planned to do before I got middle-aged.... Went kind of nuts trying to squeeze some of them in before my 40th. Of course, the 'nuts' part might just as well have been because I was working 2 jobs, 100+ hours/week and no days off for weeks at a time.

I didn't even notice 50, I was still too busy between working, husband, family, etc.

60? That year I was too busy to notice it, taking care of my husband who died just before I turned 61.

Now, who cares, there are a few physical twinges, no emotional ones. I just don't get the people who say they are 'too old' for this or that, and aren't interested in learning or doing anything new. I wouldn't take up technical rock climbing now, but I couldn't have done it 30 years ago either, and for the same reason. But IMO, anyone who thinks they are 'too old' and are no longer interested in learning or doing anything more productive than sitting on a rocker enjoying their twilight years are the walking dead. They just haven't stopped breathing yet and been buried.
 ItsMargo
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2011 2:59:26 PM
I had my twinge roughly around 49.5. It passes.
I turn 51 tomorrow, no twinges. Going to my kiddo's hockey game as I have almost every birthday in the last 13 years. What do "these guys" do, look at the calendar and say ' oh, there's Margo's b-day, better make sure we schedule a game'? All-in-all, not a bad way to spend a b-day.
 ICtheLite
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2011 12:07:27 PM
OP - I turned 50 this month, was dreading it, but once it arrived, just thought ..... WooHoo, 10 more years til I'm 60, lol.
 trinity818
Msg: 49
Posted: 3/14/2011 7:45:26 AM

Turning 50 didn't bother me at all. The only birthday that did was my 30th. I cried off and on all day. It was the most depressing day of my life.

That's interesting how people feel so differently about the number.

I was happy to turn 30. I thought I would get more respect in the workplace. 40 was great. I was extremely fit, energetic and happy.

50 sucked for me. I ache ALL of the time. Now I'm having trouble rehabbing from rotator cuff surgery so it has affected my outlook on everything. I understand the "no pain, no gain" concept, but the price in pain is very high for every little bit of progress I make.

A twinge? I wish that's all I felt.
 scottey63
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2011 10:37:46 AM
I experience a twinge every time I get out of bed. It's called Arthritis.
 selfsong
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2011 5:45:32 AM
NO I never felt a twinge but I am pretty sure I would have if I told I would not turn 50

I want to get so old buying green bananas would be optimistic

life is kinda cool
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 53
Posted: 3/17/2011 12:30:15 PM
For all you twingers, and life is overers, just like to toss off that for at least one lady in this world, the absolute peak of love and the best sex (and yes, I was alive, single and well during the 70's) happened to me starting in my mid sixties. I think perhaps you get what you're ready for, and able to return. Always *was* a late bloomer, lol!

Cheer up!
 Eveningshower
Msg: 55
Posted: 4/13/2011 3:03:33 AM
I am over 50 and I feel better than I did at 20 in every way! I have more energy, for one thing, which is probably unusual, I admit.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Turning 50....does everyone experience a twinge?