Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Turning 50....does everyone experience a twinge?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 sk1960
Msg: 54
Turning 50....does everyone experience a twinge?Page 3 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
Surpises ....hmmm - never thought much about turning 50 last year ... but all of a sudden this year, I realized my son is turning 30 and I thought ... what the heck!!! what have I been doing these past 30 years? Have I wasted too much time? Have I missed opportunities? So I decided - no more .. beginning right now I am open to whatever comes my way .... life is short and I'm not wasting it anymore :)
 yorfriend4life
Msg: 55
Turning 50....does everyone experience a twinge?
Posted: 5/14/2011 9:55:25 AM
turning 50 is good -

-ya know what you want
you know where yor going

and ya know know who u r.

embrace it -its all good
 UnixGrand
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 5/14/2011 10:08:06 PM
I didn't feel a thing. Must be because I still feel physically in my 20's. It's just a number. A least that is the way I feel. Thank god for the gym and working out. That makes you feel the difference.
 NyxDream
Msg: 57
Posted: 6/14/2011 6:08:32 PM
50 was the only birthday that did bother me some. But it's not that I have a problem being 50. It just feels weird to say it. Out loud. *grin*
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 58
Posted: 6/14/2011 9:01:24 PM

Turning 50 was a big deal at the time. It seems to be the starting point to your realization you are getting old.

...Just the opposite for me....I thought turning 50 was going to be a real tough, a realization that I too was getting old. But it really didn't phase me. But I have a feeling 60 is going to knock me on my ass...

I do know...I've learned to appreciate what I have right in front of me and I don't take things for granted anymore...

...mae
 UnixGrand
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 6/15/2011 4:34:13 PM
As far as turing 60, it is just in front of me and I don't like the idea of it.

It's only a number.

Which makes it all the more important to me to take good care of myself.

This is what's most important. Taking good care if what god gave you, and returning it in the same condition at the end.
 tlunlimited
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 7/25/2011 4:31:06 PM
I have now experienced my 50's for four years now

I changed my life. 49 was the deal breaker. I was 320lbs, blood sugar, pressure pills, cholesterol, fiber on and on. I lost 130lbs, gained back 20lbs, hike, bike, cross country ski, kayak and enjoy life with friends and family. Do a lot alone or with my dog (camped, hiked and traveled).

I , with a purpose of calm, decided to relax and Stop stressing about anything that is not important in the big picture. I have a friend who is 60 and has a goal list for when he is 80! What a great way to age! He just finished 60 goal to ride his bicycle from the Atlantic to the Pacific! I have great friends to set great examples!

I HAVE LOVED EVERYTHING ABOUT MY 50's!!! Go out there and enjoy life every day like it is your last! Don't I wish or I should have......
 mateo45
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 7/29/2011 10:44:07 AM
Nah, 50's and mid-life were never an "issue", although I thought my 60's might be a "big deal", but hasn't turned out to be the case. And a lot of it just seems to be a fortunate accident of heredity that most everyone in my family apparently seems to age "slower" and are generally "late bloomers" than most.

But now when "70" finally comes around... dunno about that one!!?
 BlueTeaPot
Msg: 62
Posted: 7/29/2011 4:45:47 PM
I felt a twinge this year - I turned 53. I thought - what the heck was that????
 Rik1961
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 7/31/2011 6:44:38 AM
I love the topic of this thread because the answers to the "Turning 50" question are as unique as the people posting them.

I turned 50 this past April, and to me it's really not about what you see in the mirror, but who. I'm really happy with the person that I've become, so while I'd rather be 30, 50 doesn't hold any negativity for me. I still get out and do the things I love, just not as well as perhaps I did 20 years ago! (lol).

50 is just a number. I know it sounds cliche', but ultimately it's what we do with the time we have. My dad just turned 74 and said "man, I wish I was 50 again!"

so. . no twinge here. just a chuckle at the additional wrinkles that seem to continue to show up
 Pingshooter
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 7/31/2011 7:40:16 AM
I turned 59 on the 29th.
Never felt a thing..while my knees are about 110, the rest of me is below 59.
I think I will hold here for a couple of years..why now, women do it all the time.
 DivineBovine
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2011 9:44:36 AM
i thought 50 was bad - 51 is worse...

time to crack open the champagne...

browneyesboo
Msg: 66
Posted: 8/2/2011 10:01:18 AM
50 didn't bother me.
I turned 59 yesterday and had an awesome day.
Everything is just getting better (including me).
I'll be 60 next year, my oldest daughter is getting
married, and I expect I'll be a grandmother soon.

Nope. Age is just a positive thing for me.

Stray__Cat
Msg: 70
Posted: 10/18/2011 4:01:44 PM
I just hit 50 a day ago.
Yes, I know, shocking.

But we can't be young and hawt forever.
Some of us get to be old and hawt.
heheh

If you take care of yourself in your 40s
you'll know what I mean.

At 40 I thought I would fall apart by 50.
So I did the gym thing and started running.
sloooooooooowwwwwwwly.... over time....I got into shape.
I can run further now than I ever could at 40...or even at 20.
I can outrun my grown sons who are extremely annoyed by that.

Still....I thought when I hit 50, I would be abit depressed.
But no.
Spent the day with my GF who is a couple of years older than me,
yet looks much younger with her killer supermodel bod.
(cus she works out too.)
Sorry to brag.
But who knew being fifty was the start of a great life,
and not the end of one.
:-)

Hope the same for you youngsters when yall hit the AARP zone.
 aboutgettingby
Msg: 71
Posted: 10/18/2011 4:26:17 PM
I can't say that any one birthday has ever had any impact. Over time I look back to when I was 50, 45, or 40; then I say holly cow things really did change, I guess the years do have an impact but it happens so gradually that you don't notice them
 Pete2205
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 10/19/2011 5:45:34 AM
Molly I just got up from the floor eyes wet with tears laughing at your post. So freaking funny

Yes I hated the thought at turning 50 but theres nothing I could do about it - I had a great birthday and after splitting from my ex I suddenly started to realise that yes 50 is just a number and I was the same guy at 40 as I was at 50 except now I am free to enjoy my life and that no matter what the EX thinks - I am doing just fine thank you very much. I am much smarter and have a lot more fire in my belly than she ever gave me credit for. I dont have her running me down anymore and my confidence is high.
 soulfulkiss
Msg: 74
Posted: 10/19/2011 12:42:44 PM
I see the big 50 as a Badge of Honor. Half a century on this planet, (plus 9 years) and still here!I'm turning 60 very soon and (mostly) loving it. I love the wisdom that I have earned. Peace of mind. Youthful attitude. It helps that my teenage grandsons think I am ageless, open minded and always wanting to learn something new. It's all a matter of attitude.
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 75
Posted: 10/19/2011 3:29:12 PM
^^^^
And you're quite the babe.
You will wear 60 very well.
 DrummingNut
Msg: 77
Posted: 10/21/2011 8:05:37 AM
6 weeks to go till 60 hits.
Turning 50? youngster!
And.. lol... so can be 60.
 ForumsGee
Msg: 78
Posted: 10/23/2011 12:10:44 PM
Yea...since I hit 50, I became aware of my age and the fact that I am still alone even though by my own choice. I don't want to go through old age on my own, and it does bother me at times. I think it bothers me more because I am single and have been for many many years. I thought by now I would be happily partnered with a best friend, husband,lover but it has not happened.

Even though I'm bothered about it I still will not settle with just anyone and therefore Im aware that I might be on my own alone for the rest of my years.

..In the mean time I'm going out and completing my bucket list.... and having a good time doing it but with self awareness :)
 ForumsGee
Msg: 79
Posted: 10/23/2011 12:12:23 PM
Yea...since I hit 50, I became aware of my age and the fact that I am still alone even though by my own choice. I don't want to go through old age on my own, and it does bother me at times. I think it bothers me more because I am single and have been for many many years. I thought by now I would be happily partnered with a best friend, husband,lover but it has not happened.

Even though I'm bothered about it I still will not settle with just anyone and therefore Im aware that I might be on my own alone for the rest of my years.

..In the mean time I'm going out and completing my bucket list.... and having a good time doing it but with self awareness :)
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 80
Posted: 10/23/2011 7:32:05 PM

But we can't be young and hawt forever.
Some of us get to be old and hawt.
heheh

...Ain't that the truth....50 looks very, very good on you. Btw...happy belated birthday

I was quite pleased when I recieved a "seniors discount" at Sears the other day cause I was over 55. Even better when she asked to see my driver's license... I haven't been asked for proof of age since I was a youngster lol.

...mae
 xvermonter
Msg: 81
Posted: 10/24/2011 5:58:14 PM
This reminds me of an experience I had recently at the movies. I approached the ticket window and, being 60 years old, I asked the young cashier, "Senior ticket for 'Utopia' please". Cashier: "OK". Me: "Don't you need to see my ID?" Cashier: "NO". I must have appeared "ancient" to him. I can laugh about it now but at the time it was quite depressing....
 southmeetswest
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 10/24/2011 6:14:02 PM
no, no twinges at 50 or 60. i will let you know if i get any at 70......

kaylee
 Old Forrester
Msg: 83
Posted: 10/28/2011 3:59:46 AM
I don't recall any "twinges" when I turned 50. I think we all grow up wanting to be older and then bemoan having grown older. If you're healthy, wow, what a gift! The age factor...c'mon, you've lived to a point in your existence that many folks have not had the oppourtunity to reach.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Turning 50....does everyone experience a twinge?