Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Turning 50....does everyone experience a twinge?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 whitebirch
Msg: 86
Turning 50....does everyone experience a twinge?Page 7 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
yes, & I think it's unfortunately so much more than a twinge.
I really think it's all related to where you are in life...what your experiences have been. if you think past experiences tend to repeat themselves, & you've been alone for a long while, well then the prospect of 50, 55, or 60 - well it just doesn't seem so hopeful....

oops, I'd just been reading an older thread about being alone, & am getting the subject matter confused! but the whole mate search does get harder & harder as the years roll by.. especially if you don't have a real active social life.

anyway, guess I was just trying to say that feelings about getting older are individual & aren't experienced in the same way by any two people really, since everyone's had different experiences. generally, I think happily married (secure) people don't worry about age as much as some of us do.
 southmeetswest
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Turning 50....does everyone experience a twinge?
Posted: 11/8/2011 6:21:33 PM
i hope not natgoat!
 yna6
Msg: 88
Posted: 11/8/2011 9:46:27 PM
Just turned 50....wondering where my life went, and where'd the money go???
Ex got the money, house, kids, everything, I get to start all over....shit still happens.
I don't heal as well or as fast as I did, so I try to not get hurt anymore.
Relationships turn sour, and the sex drive keeps going, but hers doesn't....yeah.....life can bite....but hey....someone who shared my b-day hit 100....but a month later fell out of bed and died from a head injury....sheesh....hope for me yet!
 pisces1961
Msg: 89
Posted: 11/11/2011 4:27:23 PM
Happy Birthday!

You are NOT ALONE! I turned 50 in March of 2011. I hated the thought of it. It happened anyway and I didn't die...yet!

I look older than I am thanks to premature gray hair. I try my best to keep myself up look ing good and trying to stay in shape. BUT...I wonder if I am still attractive to the opposite sex. Twinges are definitely part of turning 50! It's a milestone!! Enjoy it cuz 60 isn't that far off! omg!
 countrygirl61342
Msg: 90
Posted: 11/11/2011 10:02:05 PM
I will be 50 in December, and the past few years have taken their their toll on me. I lost my husband in May, after dealing with liver cancer, a liver transplant, the complications afterward.....I just got to the point where I didn't cry myself to sleep everynight, then September 4th, I lost my mother. I do not know if it is the loss, the grief, the depression or if I am just physically, mentally or emotionally exhausted. Now, my mothers boyfriend, who she met here, just passed away yesterday. I try to keep a positive attitude about everything, but the older I get, the more I learn about taking thetime to slow down, stop, smell the roses, and take a few pictures of them. Life is really too short to let life's problems get you down, but if you do get down, you can always climb back up., but I have my good days and bad days. I am thankful that I have two beautiful grand-daughters and another grandchild on the way. Nothing feels better than to hear, "I love you Nana".
Hang in there, it will get better. Just love and appreciate the friends and family you have and cherish each moment with them.
Keep on rocking!!
 ladysthe1
Msg: 91
view profile
History
Posted: 11/12/2011 8:41:29 AM
LOL Molly. Well, let this be a lesson...next secretary, DON'T tell her your age. LOL
 norab762
Msg: 93
Posted: 11/17/2011 6:02:53 AM
For some reason, turning 30 was hard for me, and I think that was because I was NOT happy with the place I was at in life....hitting 40, meh. I suspect hitting 50 next July will be the same, meh.

I work in healthcare, and what hits ME on a pretty regular basis is the frequency with which people my age (49) or younger than me are dying of cancer, it's heartbreaking....sometimes I feel so bad, I just don't want to go to work. Working in a cancer hospital really can be hard sometimes.
 BlondeArtiste
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Posted: 11/19/2011 12:31:29 AM
I totally embraced turning 50. Two years later I divorced after 22 years. I took up Belly Dancing and now teach it, had a "boudoir" photo session done (every woman should have this done!), joined POF and the Dating world and am having the BEST TIME of my life! I put the following Andy Rooney bit on my profile and get LOADS of positive comments from men about it, because it is SO TRUE!!

Read on for Andy Rooney's clever bit....I think it's SO true! Gotta love Andy and may he be as funny on the "other side" as he was on this!

"As I grow in age, I value women over 50 most of all. Here are just a few reasons why: A woman over 50 will never wake you in the middle of the night and ask, ‘What are you thinking?’ She doesn’t care what you think. If a woman over 50 doesn’t want to watch the game, she doesn’t sit around whining about it. She does something she wants to do, and it’s usually more interesting. Women over 50 are dignified. They seldom have a screaming match with you at the opera or in the middle of an expensive restaurant. Of course, if you deserve it, they won’t hesitate to shoot you if they think they can get away with it. Older women are generous with praise, often undeserved. They know what it’s like to be unappreciated. Women get psychic as they age. You never have to confess your sins to a woman over 50. Once you get past a wrinkle or two, a woman over 50 is far sexier than her younger counterpart. Older women are forthright and honest...They’ll tell you right off if you are a jerk, if you are acting like one. You don’t ever have to wonder where you stand with her. Yes, we praise women over 50 for a multitude of reasons. Unfortunately, it’s not reciprocal. For every stunning, smart, well-coiffed, hot woman over 50, there is a bald, paunchy relic in yellow pants making a fool of himself with some 22-year old waitress. Ladies, I apologize. For all those men who say, "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?" Here’s an update for you. Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it’s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage."
 Missboru
Msg: 95
Posted: 11/19/2011 1:39:52 AM
Yes I have to say ditto here as well. Made me think of things past and present. I also tried to patch up important friendships. I don't try to ponder the future. I just want to enjoy myself, post child.javascript:smilie('')
 nitestaff
Msg: 96
Posted: 11/19/2011 5:16:17 PM
i turned 50 this month and just kept doing what i always did,,didnt think about it and didnt feel any differnet others made a big deal but for me i didnt feel anything different although a few days later i did realize i was closer to 100 than i was to my birth date. I do think just keep doing what you enjoy spend time with those you love, feel young think positive and there is no problem being 50
jon
 DreamyMaryAlice
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2011 12:24:05 PM
Happy Belated Birthday, im 51 years old now, i like being this age, think its more like when your a teenager and can do what you want again, i always bug my granson wen he asks how old iam, i tell him im a teenager lol, i know im old but i like to think young at heart, love reading all the stories in the forums
 comsmi57
Msg: 98
Posted: 11/21/2011 8:57:51 PM
Turning 50 was a piece of cake, it's when my oldest turned 30 that got to me. I don't know how he caught up with me, I'm only 30 myself!! I just have 25 years experience at it!!! Lol
 loucsam
Msg: 99
Posted: 12/20/2011 3:33:50 AM
Well 5 days ago for me, and yeah definitely some quiet moments aside thinking about....stuff.
 southernbabe03
Msg: 100
Posted: 12/26/2011 5:11:36 PM
WOW, let me say that turning 30 made me very sad and depressed.
I did so much living during my 20's. I felt like I hadn't accomplished much.
As I was turning 4o, I wrote a note about all the things I had accomplished.
I even mentioned that watching my children grow and become wonderful adults made me glad I was turning 40.
I will be 49 in 2 days and I have been seriously thinking about turning 50!
I don't know how I will feel about that.
I get told all the time that I look 35, I can only hope my face and body never catch up with my age, lol.
I do take care of both.
All I know is that the people I am close to who turned 50 last year and this year seem fine.
They still have their sense of humor and they never mention their age being a hinderance.
I hope I can accept it in a positive way like that.
 1388SmartBlonde
Msg: 101
Posted: 12/26/2011 8:27:48 PM
yes...30, 40, 50, 60...milestones are always hard to swallow. It does not have to be a bad thing, though. Friends of mine that could not find a man to treat them decent in their 40's are now getting married in their 50's because there are more widowers in that age group and those good men are now available again. They had been good husbands who knew the value of loving and respecting a good wife.
 jd4real49
Msg: 102
Posted: 12/27/2011 3:37:28 PM
I'll be 50 in 2 days.

About 4 or 5 years ago I set goals for my 50th birthday.

I've reached those goals, happy birthday to me
 Lookingformore62
Msg: 103
Posted: 12/27/2011 3:40:38 PM
I am definitely experiencing the twinge as I see my 50th looming closer and closer. But, I am trying to approach it as a positive milestone that I am proud of. This last decade in particular has given many life lessons that I believe have made me a stronger and better person.
I like SmartBlondes comment that perhaps more good men are available in the 50's age group since the 40's were not a fruitful time for me in terms of meeting the quality man I seek. Maybe this second half of my life, he will come my way since I know now more than ever what I really want and need.
 DALECE
Msg: 104
view profile
History
Posted: 12/27/2011 5:28:45 PM
Woo Hoo! What kind of twinges are we talking about??? Twinges are good....
and Bring on 60!! lol
Life is Good. (-;
 TuffGuy666
Msg: 105
Posted: 12/27/2011 6:26:13 PM
I turn 50 in a few days.

I suppose I'll hammer that pesky twinge away by getting rip roaring drunk.

What else is there for me to do? My "junk" already fell off mid-flight.

i like being this age, think its more like when your a teenager and can do what you want again

I like your style.
 NJ_Phil
Msg: 106
Posted: 12/27/2011 7:15:53 PM
** EDIT **
TMI

My advice to you is always try and look forward, but use past experiences to help you. 10 years from now, you may be looking at this time as a good time in your life, so why not make the best of it now.

** EDIT ** Just realized that thread was over a year old.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Turning 50....does everyone experience a twinge?