Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Is Faith an Intellectual Short Cut to the Big Answers?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 60to70
Msg: 39
Is Faith an Intellectual Short Cut to the Big Answers?Page 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Faith also embraces the intellect but is not a short cut to the big answers. Faith is the smile on a friend's face when they see you and the child in your arms trusting you. Faith is having the balls to love....having the balls...to resist numbing.
 Island home
Msg: 40
Is Faith an Intellectual Short Cut to the Big Answers?
Posted: 10/25/2010 1:08:10 AM
Faith is a detour
From the search for truth
 Inicia
Msg: 41
Posted: 10/25/2010 1:13:28 AM
do you swear to tell the truth and nothing but the truth
I swear to tell the truth and nothing but the truth..

and then we place faith in our judicial system
which is supposed to be blind
is that what blind faith means.. lol
we are an oxymoronic bunch. we do not accept faith unless it is in something we believe carries proof then we accept faith and truth, which are both misnomers in the case of justice...
 Simon4567
Msg: 42
Posted: 10/26/2010 5:43:10 PM
I want to know how I came to a conclusion.

Its like writing an answer to a math problem without showing your work.

If you can't justify it in the right way, it is not knowledge. In my opinion, how we came to a conclusion is more important than the conclusion itself.
 60to70
Msg: 43
Posted: 10/26/2010 11:40:05 PM
Faith is just wonderful. I have faith in my friends, they have faith in me. Faith is what matters to my very specific existence. To describe faith is difficult, it is the quick look in one's eyes and the actions they take to awknowledge your existence. Have faith.
 selfsong
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 10/30/2010 9:32:48 AM
The funny thing about the "Book of Answers" and faith is that the answers are already given to the "User". He goes on faith that the book is the answer and that explanations given are true.

So a short cut?...yes if one wants to be lazy and spoon fed what he is to believe, think , and act instead of knowing.

[There are no short cuts!]

To me someone that does not have a "Book of Answers" but still responds to that innate need to know about his/her life has a better chance of finding what is real than listening to others explain what they dont know but believe.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 10/30/2010 4:27:41 PM
Scorpio mover! Error! "Did you REALLY think there was an Easter Bunny? I mean, come on. Rabbits don't eat chocolate. Anyone can see that most of the popularity of the Easter Bunny was just a way to sell lots of chocolate."
The error is, that of Rabbits DID eat chocolate, instead of HIDING it for US to find, they would be EATING it, so we would not be out searching. The Easter Bunny HIDES chocolate, in part BECAUSE rabbits don't eat it.
 Gashlycrumb_Briny
Msg: 46
Posted: 10/30/2010 7:08:26 PM

But if you don't even ask G-d to help you, then why would you have any expectation that G-d will not just leave you to the whim of whether or not doctors screw it up

Why don't you just pray to gee dash dee that nobody gets any diseases in the first place?

most black slaves stayed with their former employers...So it's clear to me that there couldn't be all that much racism, if they were willing to stay, and, if there wasn't all that much then, I doubt there is so much now.

You can't be serious. Where exactly did you think they would have cleared off to? Just hop on a boat back to Africa, or something? Do you think the day after abolition, all the former slaves moved into the boss's house and got served tea in the front room and married the boss's daughters? Sure.

I can't believe you typed what you typed.

Atheists don't go to church, and society doesn't provide any means of community for them.

Those lonely atheists...having to join one-person sports teams, sing in one-person choirs, act in one-person theatre troupes, attend one-person book clubs, take themselves out for lunch dates, never visit their families, eschew organising atheist conventions, stay home from markets, fairs, and pta meetings....sigh...
 FoshFish
Msg: 47
Posted: 10/30/2010 7:51:58 PM
"Those lonely atheists...having to join one-person sports teams, sing in one-person choirs, act in one-person theatre troupes, attend one-person book clubs, take themselves out for lunch dates, never visit their families, eschew organising atheist conventions, stay home from markets, fairs, and pta meetings....sigh..."

I am an atheist, and I resent the sarcasm. It is very true, I attend one-person wife swapping parties, one-person sex orgies, one-person gruppensex, and I form a one-person fan club for the one person who deserves adoration the most at least by one person, me.
 FoshFish
Msg: 48
Posted: 10/30/2010 7:59:03 PM
The error is, that if Rabbits indeed DID eat chocolate, then instead of HIDING it for US to find, they would be EATING it, so we would not be out searching. The Easter Bunny HIDES chocolate, in part BECAUSE rabbits don't eat it.

No, no. The fact bunnies hide chocolate is not an indication that they don't eat chocolate.

Bunnies are small animals, rabbits too, and if they get more chocolate than they can eat in one sitting, then they hide the leftovers, like squirrels would if chocolate were nuts and bunnies were squirrels.

Look at squirrels. They eat nuts. They hide nuts. They forget where they hid them, but still, they hide them because they want to eat them later.

Or look at men. They are hiding the nuts at work all day long. Then later they go home, and their wives ea... sorry. I should have stopped some time ago.
 ~DREAMS~
Msg: 49
Posted: 11/1/2010 10:11:31 AM

Faith doesn't require any verification.

Why doesn't it? Blind faith does not but faith is like trust. To develope faith in the first place when it has to do with the human brain is engrained repitition. The neural pathways strengthened and expanded over time is a form of verification of faith IMO. If that were not the case then the pathways the neurons travel in would take different paths and as such would not create the super pathways required for higher neural traffic without a bottleneck in those areas.

Example. ...

I have faith in God because I have verified that if i do things a specific way I can now reasonably predict the result. That however is my verification and since those pathways are formed in my brain and not in yours then your miliage may vary.

If the neural pathways you have strengthened and enhanced are that God does not exist then the predictable result is that more neurons will travel through those pathways.

In order for you to jump tracks to begin beleaving in God would require a back tracking and building of a completely different set of neural pathways that allow the existance of God to begin with.

Think of 2 seperate super hiways. Even if they are traveling next to each other going in the same direction they are different and have different exits and onramps. They can not share the same exits and on ramps unless there are lane merges between the two.

The fact remains though you never see a merge lane traveling at full speed. Same goes for neural pathways. For the neurons to be able to move over to those forms of thought there must be a merge lane created that allows for the possability for God to exist or those neurons do not belong on the super hiway pathways that there is a God to begin with.

No amount of reasoning, pondering, or investigation will allow a person to change their mind about God if they don't not have those neural pathways formed already.

Like people have said many times in these forums. If you are convinced that something does not exist then your mind will literally attempt to block out that perception even if right in front of you.

Mind tricks basically yet it is yourself doing the mind tricks. Like when people are hypnotised to not be able to see a specific color, shape, or even a specific person.

Living by senses alone takes all control away from yourself and places it upon the physical only and excludes any mental componants to reasoning.

Things that you see, hear, or touch are nothing more than electrical impulses that all end up in the same point of your body. Your brain!

It is then the brains job to translate those pulses of electrical current into what you percieve.

So if the wiring your brain allows ie the neural pathways that you have developed exclude the possability of anything faith based and requiring emperical evidence only then surprize those are the pathways those impulses will travel down and any neural impulses that do not match up and/or are allowed on those engrained pathways simply get filtered out on the neural level.

In more simplistic terms. Your senses may in fact be experiencing the proof you require however due to the fact you have over many years of learned behaviour your neural pathways exclude those things then those electrical impulses coming from your sensory mechinizyms will never make it to your concious thought due to not having any roads for them to travel upon.

In computer terms... Your throughput is restricted and firewalled/filtered so your experiencing major amounts of packet loss due to not having pathways large enough to handle the databursts that are being sent....lol

I started this reply with a different purpose than the explanation it ended up being but oh well these are just my opinions. You can either A take them on blind faith, faith alone, or check them on your own time for validity. I am not a tutor however so your on your own and likely get what you paid for to read this....

~DREAMS~
 deanslfl
Msg: 50
Posted: 11/1/2010 12:34:45 PM
i couldnt have summed it up better.when religions claim to have the answers to questions that mankind has pondered for millenia...RUN. there was no garden of eden and adam and eve from which all human life sprang from. that was a cute story told to explain that which could not be explained at that time with the science available. even today when a problem cant yet be explained by scientists the religious nut jobs claim "god did it" or even better...its a MIRACLE! believers of such fairytales provide an endless supply of entertainment
 Ryan3782
Msg: 51
Posted: 11/21/2010 7:45:25 PM
"Is Faith an Intellectual Short Cut to the Big Answers?"

I would say no, its an intellectual dead end. Faith means belief without evidence. It means a lack of proof, which means a lack of facts, which means a claim to knowledge by a means other than reason. No answers, big or small, can be "answered" in this way.
 FyrKrakn
Msg: 52
Posted: 11/21/2010 11:22:02 PM
Religious discussions are so often intellectually tiring that I would have to call it a short-cut in the way that it may be shorter as the crow flies to get to the big answers, but it is over the mountain and through a lot of obstacles and since the entire trip defined the questions and predetermined the answers such that, it might be easier to move the mountain.
 SouthandWest
Msg: 53
Posted: 11/22/2010 6:12:27 PM
Yup ... we use God to plaster over the holes in our knowledge. God of the Gaps as Carl Sagan called it. People use the notion of God or the Devil to get them out of those infinite loops of questions. When the shortcut works a people (and a society) can get on with expanding and propagating themselves and their memes.

When things get dicey, God is our expedient "Ace in the hole".

mateo45
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 11/25/2010 5:37:47 AM
Faith is a "shortcut" alright (although the "intellectual" part gets left behind at the gate).

Actually, I kinda think of Religion as "fast food" Spirituality.... it's fast, cheap and easy, but longterm, not really all that nourishing (or healthy).
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Is Faith an Intellectual Short Cut to the Big Answers?