Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Should New York Ban Using Food Stamps To Buy Sugary Drinks?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 51
Should New York Ban Using Food Stamps To Buy Sugary Drinks?Page 3 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
First: "Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. George Washington"

As quoted in The Cry for Justice: An Anthology of the Literature of Social Protest (1915) edited by Upton Sinclair, p. 305; no earlier or original source for this often quoted statement is cited by Sinclair, or has yet been found in research done for Wikiquote; it is probably apocryphal.

He never said that. I know you wish he had, but he didn't.

My support for this ban rests solely on the illnesses associated with obesity and all the health costs that go with it. And I should say that obesity itself isn't a problem - it just makes you more likely to have certain health problems. And you'd have to avoid sugar water for the most part to avoid those problems.

My experience in America indicates that if you're on a limited budget it's a whole lot cheaper to get high fat foods than healthy ones. So I'm guessing that food stamps and obesity often go hand in hand. When the same agency is on the hook for the health costs, I can see why they would want to limit sugar consumption. I had to lose weight or lose sugar a few years ago myself.
 Annie was here
Msg: 52
Should New York Ban Using Food Stamps To Buy Sugary Drinks?
Posted: 10/16/2010 6:36:10 PM

My support for this ban rests solely on the illnesses associated with obesity and all the health costs that go with it.

The problem with your reasoning is that just taking pop out of your diet will not fix any obesity issues.Just banning pop will not get rid or,or even lessen,the obesity epidemic.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 53
Posted: 10/16/2010 8:15:36 PM
I didn't really make myself clear then. I don't think that banning pop will do anything for obesity. But, being overweight does increase the risk of Type 2 diabetes. And if you're at risk for diabetes you have to restrict your sugar intake.

It's a broad brush to deal with the issue, but I personally think that being poor makes you much more likely to be obese in America. Any time I go into a supermarket down there I'm amazed at how much cheaper the bad food is than the good food. So if you have a high percentage of food stamp users who either are borderline or at risk for diabetes, then banning the use of food stamps to buy sugar water makes sense.

I know from personal experience that I consume a lot more sugar in drink form than any other way.
 CallmeKen
Msg: 54
Posted: 10/17/2010 9:35:12 AM

Where in the Constitution specifically does it say that the federal govt can control what people eat or drink?

Since you brought it up, where in the Constitution specifically does it say that the federal govt is authorized to use taxpayer money to give free handouts of soda? Is Pepsi really needed to survive?

Yes, I know - the notion of "promoting the common good." Apparently, Coca-Cola represents the "common good." The federal govt is $13 trillion in debt for the "common good". Economic armageddon is increasingly talked about as a valid scenario. Please tell me, where is the "common good" in that?

Please answer quickly. My post isn't liberal, so I don't expect it to survive the mods for long. If you need time to think about it, I'll check back in a week when my ban is lifted.
 CallmeKen
Msg: 55
Posted: 10/17/2010 10:07:42 AM
(From msg 16):

An ear of corn costs a quarter, a potato is less than that, a bell pepper is a little more. A couple pieces of fruit cost less than a dollar. A breast of chicken or a thin steak are also less than a dollar.

Dang, Alooo, where do you shop? If prices are that cheap in Arizona, maybe I should put in for a transfer.
 Annie was here
Msg: 56
Posted: 10/17/2010 2:48:27 PM

Is Pepsi really needed to survive?

Of course not,but that's not the point.The point is you are advocating taking away someones freedom to choose simply because they are poor and simply because you can.

If we want to go down the route of having "only what we need to survive" then you could say that there are many things we could do without.After all do we really need a frozen bag of french fries,popsicles,butter,white sugar,salt,cheese,chips,white bread,coffee,cream,bacon,fish stick,chicken strips,marshmallows and so many other things.None of these things are good for you so if you are going to ban one bad thing,you have to ban them all.

Even some of the good things we buy people can completely ruin by what they put on it,like salad dressing or frying your food.So salad dressing and oil must be banned as well!It doesn't matter how good the salad is for you if you have just loaded it in fat,sugar and preservative! Even jam,which you would think is good for you,is total crap.There is so much sugar and preservatives in there that any good the berries might of done for you is completely taken away by all of the bad stuff they put in there.
 arwen52
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 10/17/2010 3:48:51 PM
Where in the Constitution specifically does it say that the federal govt can control what people eat or drink?

This is the state of New York, not a federal issue.

That being said, neither the U.S. Constitution nor the constitution of the state of New York guarantees the right to buy soda with tax dollars.

The U.S. Constitution (which is relevant, in this case, only so far as states may not pass state laws that conflict with the Constitution) allows for passing of laws "for the good of the people." We have all sorts of laws that are not mentioned in the Constitution. The Constitution does not mention traffic lights. This does not make them unconstitutional.

I don't think that banning pop will do anything for obesity.

Again, we're not talking about banning soda. They are talking about, in the state of New York, banning using Food Stamps to buy soda.
 SilentInk
Msg: 58
Posted: 10/17/2010 4:24:25 PM

Again, we're not talking about banning soda. They are talking about, in the state of New York, banning using Food Stamps to buy soda.

Thus soda can still be bought with the other income provided by the government or any money that's earned under the table. I don't know I am kind of going both ways on this issue now. On one side I still feel it's an unneeded move and it is indeed the big guy trying to push the little guy around. On the other hand I am starting to see what the other posters are saying about soda not being needed to survive, thus it shouldn't matter if they ban buying soda with food stamps.
 Delete_Me_Please
Msg: 59
Posted: 10/17/2010 6:17:12 PM

The point is you are advocating taking away someones freedom to choose simply because they are poor and simply because you can.

Clearly you're missing the point. Nobody is advocating controlling anybody's choices on what they consume. If someone on food stamps wants to go to a party and load up on sodas, they're free to do so. If they have cash to buy sodas, they're free to do so (though, if they have enough spare change around for frivolous items, I have to wonder if they truly need food stamps). This is simply about redirecting tax dollars that are not being spent as intended.

Look at those dollars from a different perspective: the information in msg 27 said that $75-135 million was spent on sugary drinks just in New York in one calendar year. So using the lower figure, that's the equivalent of 2500 jobs at $30K/year. Do sugary drinks still sound like a wise use of money in comparison?

Call me weird but I checked the prices for these at my local grocery store.

Since I see you're from Canada, your prices don't apply to this particular conversation. I included prices I was familiar with in Arizona and California. Obviously, different products will vary in price in different areas and some items that are cheaper here are more expensive elsewhere and vice versa. And I certainly wasn't considering high end products, like juicy rib eyes or packaged produce since the point was that nutritious meals could be prepared on less than $5/day. Sometimes it's a matter of strolling from the fresh meat aisle to the frozen food aisle to find drastically cheaper prices, like on chicken breasts/thighs, which run around $12 for a bag of about 20 pieces.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 60
Posted: 10/18/2010 12:07:36 PM
Or, it might be that this is administered by NYC and they don't have any authority outside of the city itself.

If someone wants to actually leave the city just so they can buy sugar water with food stamps, then they're pretty darn motivated.
 Jake52177
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 10/18/2010 12:49:53 PM
I hate to be in on the tail end of a forum. People leave the city to buy beer, alcohol, cigarettes, and shop online. When a door is closed a window can be opened. Bloomberg who i didnt vote for in round 3 is a little to extreme now.
 Delete_Me_Please
Msg: 62
Posted: 10/18/2010 2:40:25 PM

I think it's hilarious that you think "my" prices don't apply because I'm from a different country..

What's hilarious is that you don't seem to realize that different countries have different currencies, different taxes and even different weight measures. I live less than a couple hours from Mexico but I know better than to think their prices are comparable to the ones just across the border.

My mention of food prices was in response to the assertion that $5/day isn't enough to provide nutritious meals and in the examples I gave, $5 was MORE than enough, meaning there's plenty of leeway for a more expensive locale. So rather than argue about a few dimes' differences between where we live, here's a link to a NY store ad (http://bit.ly/cX51Ob) so you can see for yourself that healthy options are available for less than $5 (you can even browse the "Shop Online" link to see other prices).

That's just it.... more of the "They're less than I am, so they should get less than I do" attitude. We wouldn't want a poor single mother (*gasp*) being allowed to buy a cake and some soda for their child's birthday.

The purpose of food stamps is not for indigent people to keep up with the Joneses. It's to keep them alive and hopefully healthy. Anybody who wants more than what they have-- whether that's someone on food stamps or someone earning $100K-- has to figure out a way to acquire it. If someone wants a birthday party for their kid, they can seek out assistance from a charity but it's not the responsibility of the taxpayers.

And I certainly don't think anybody is "less than I am," but I also don't think they're entitled to more than I am. When times are tough, I have to make cutbacks. Why shouldn't people receiving government assistance do the same?
 mrnova66
Msg: 63
Posted: 10/18/2010 4:35:57 PM
I agree 100% with you Aloo0...Personally i have never been on any kind of assistance...Been working since 14 years of age...Having siad that..I do not grudge a person who needs help,But it should not be a lifestyle(collecting years on in)..And i have found out in my experence that a good 70% of the people that collect are people under 50 and have no plans on a job.I am so sick of it...There is something wrong with society that takes away from a working man and give to a man that can work/refuse to work..I have met people alot younger and capable to work,But refuse to work..And guess what?They are parasites...When the crooks/government goes bankrupt(IT is coming)You will see nothing but riots.I suggest all the honest hard working people to be prepared.The SHTF is coming.
 DrummingNut
Msg: 64
Posted: 10/18/2010 5:22:09 PM

And I certainly don't think anybody is "less than I am," but I also don't think they're entitled to more than I am. When times are tough, I have to make cutbacks. Why shouldn't people receiving government assistance do the same?

How can you actually think they AREN'T?
Do you really think people receiving govt assistance aren't cutting back?
Do you really believe they are living high-on-the-hog and lovely lives?
Do you really think the high costs of living hasn't hit them too?

And ........ do they really have "more than" you????
 Gashlycrumb_Briny
Msg: 65
Posted: 10/18/2010 7:56:48 PM

The purpose of food stamps is not for indigent people to keep up with the Joneses. ... And I certainly don't think anybody is "less than I am," but I also don't think they're entitled to more than I am. When times are tough, I have to make cutbacks. Why shouldn't people receiving government assistance do the same?

So you don't think people are 'less than' you, but they should try to be like you. Thinking how you think and doing what you do will show they are worthy of the freedom to make their own choices, I mean, of their soda pop. Just what are all these people doing with their BOOTSTRAPS, anyway?
 SilentInk
Msg: 66
Posted: 10/19/2010 1:48:33 AM
The thing that needs to be realized that banning soda purchases by food stamps will make NO difference whatsoever to affect tax payers. It's not like the government is deducting money from every family who purchases soda. Each family will still GET THE SAME AMOUNT OF FOOD STAMPS they received before.

You and I, as tax payers will not be paying less. That’s why I don’t get the whole argument about soda being a ‘luxury’, because unless your argument is that soda needs to be banned all together to help with obesity, your argument is not valid. If you are concerned about paying taxes, you will still be paying the same amount if not more. Banning soda purchases by food stamps will certainly not make it better on the tax payers. Because instead of buying 10 sodas, they will just purchase 10 bags of chips.

Corrupt politicians are the reason for such high taxes, not someone using their food stamps to purchase a soda. Because all in all unless your argument is that you care about these kid’s on governments assistance health, your argument does not stand.
 ChocolateNutt
Msg: 67
Posted: 10/19/2010 11:03:53 AM
So you think people who are desperately poor should never be allowed to have treats. They should only be allowed the bare necessities to survive--no Christmas trees or Halloween costumes either, I guess.

Nutt
 RushLuv
Msg: 68
Posted: 10/19/2010 12:06:59 PM

Personally i have never been on any kind of assistance...Been working since 14 years of age...Having siad that..I do not grudge a person who needs help,But it should not be a lifestyle(collecting years on in)..And i have found out in my experence that a good 70% of the people that collect are people under 50 and have no plans on a job.I am so sick of it...There is something wrong with society that takes away from a working man and give to a man that can work/refuse to work..I have met people alot younger and capable to work,But refuse to work..And guess what?They are parasites.

Oh. I see. So your problem is, with people using government assistance without having to work and I guess you're feeling "cheated" because your hard earned money is being mooched off of. I get it.
 mrnova66
Msg: 69
Posted: 10/19/2010 1:00:43 PM
RIGHT!!!!!!!^^^^^^^^^Here in FL. we have a guy running for governor that will require to have food stamp moochers to take a drug test..The nerve of him.People that have to keep a job in most places are require a drug test to keep a job and feed their families.But to make a person take a drug test to recieve freebies..GOOD GOLLLY MOLLIE where is the world coming to.The nerve.
 mrnova66
Msg: 70
Posted: 10/19/2010 3:29:34 PM
I stated that was in my experience..If your is different.Well that is you...I can honestly say i know for a fact in my experence that most people that collect food stamps have made it their living and have no intentions in finding work.And these same parasites have been on food stamps years on end.You have your experences and i have mine.
 mrnova66
Msg: 71
Posted: 10/19/2010 5:07:58 PM
It is a fact in my eyes not yours..This is why it is called experences..You may see it another way..Then again i have a neighbor that agrees with me..I have a guy i work with agree with me...But then again my other neighbor dose not..I do not argue with people (Including you)They see it another way...I will stand by my opinion..IN MY TRAVELS IN LIFE MOST PEOPLE THAT COLLECT FOOD STAMPS ARE PARASITES(Able to work,but refuse to work.lets free load years on end))!!!!IF YOU SEE IT A DIFFERNTLY!!!THEN THAT IS YOU!!!AND YOUR EXPERENCES..NOT MINE!!!Got it...
 OMG!WTF!
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 10/19/2010 7:15:09 PM

It is a fact in my eyes not yours

That's almost a perfect definition of ignorance.

IN MY TRAVELS IN LIFE MOST PEOPLE THAT COLLECT FOOD STAMPS ARE PARASITES

In 2008 40 million people in the US collected food stamps. 40 million! Forty million. 40,000,000. How many do you know? There's an outside chance that you might know a hundred. It's probably more like three. But let's just say 100. That leaves thirty nine million, nine hundred and ninety nine thousand, nine hundred (39,999, 900) people on food stamps who you do not know. Do you think maybe there's a chance you're not getting the full picture?
 Annie was here
Msg: 73
Posted: 10/19/2010 8:23:13 PM
People that have to keep a job in most places are require a drug test to keep a job and feed their families.

What? Never have I ever seen heard or experienced any company "requiring" their employees to take a drug test!That would be illegal here.If in the states you have actually reduced peopled rights to the point where employers can force you to take a blood test to see if you are on drugs then you guys are truly and fully screwed!

i have a neighbor that agrees with me..I have a guy i work with agree with me

Oh wow then then what you believe must really be true!

KKK members have many people who agree with them and base their beliefs of ignorance,generalization and misinformation.Having people agree with you does not make you right.

What is with people taking a few experiences here and there and then basing their views on an entire group of people on just that?Those people you see with crap in their shopping cart, you know they are on welfare how? Did you turn around and ask them?Do you know if maybe they are shopping for a kids birthday and maybe grandma gave them the money to make little sally's birthday a happy day?No you don't know any of that because you are ASSuming.
 Twilightslove
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 10/19/2010 8:35:06 PM
annie was here said:

What is with people taking a few experiences here and there and then basing their views on an entire group of people on just that?Those people you see with crap in their shopping cart, you know they are on welfare how? Did you turn around and ask them?Do you know if maybe they are shopping for a kids birthday and maybe grandma gave them the money to make little sally's birthday a happy day?No you don't know any of that because you are ASSuming.

lol. Based on this type of thinking I would have to assume that the middle class father with the two little girls that I saw at the grocery store earlier was on food stamps. I don't think I saw one nutritious item in his basket........ Little Debbie's anyone? And he wonders why the girls were so hyper and he was so frustrated.......

Experiences are not always what they seem and with only limited information about someone we cannot assume that they are on welfare or not based on what little we know. In fact, maybe the family I saw got those nice clothes and hair styles from the local Salvation Army.........

For all I know he was buying those items for his weekly lunches or perhaps they were to give away to someone else.
 OMG!WTF!
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 10/19/2010 9:30:09 PM
What? Never have I ever seen heard or experienced any company "requiring" their employees to take a drug test!That would be illegal here.If in the states you have actually reduced peopled rights to the point where employers can force you to take a blood test to see if you are on drugs then you guys are truly and fully screwed!

Drug testing happens all the time in many different jobs in Canada. It's not even close to being illegal. It's actually illegal not to test in some industries. If you think about it, we'd be truly and fully screwed if guys operating cranes, trains, giant oilsands dump trucks, scaffolding on high rises, welding machines, paving equipment, airplanes, etc were stoned. Firing people for being on drugs is a bit of an issue. But there's definitely testing happening all the time.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Should New York Ban Using Food Stamps To Buy Sugary Drinks?