Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Should New York Ban Using Food Stamps To Buy Sugary Drinks?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 OMG!WTF!
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Should New York Ban Using Food Stamps To Buy Sugary Drinks?Page 5 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
What? Never have I ever seen heard or experienced any company "requiring" their employees to take a drug test!That would be illegal here.If in the states you have actually reduced peopled rights to the point where employers can force you to take a blood test to see if you are on drugs then you guys are truly and fully screwed!

Drug testing happens all the time in many different jobs in Canada. It's not even close to being illegal. It's actually illegal not to test in some industries. If you think about it, we'd be truly and fully screwed if guys operating cranes, trains, giant oilsands dump trucks, scaffolding on high rises, welding machines, paving equipment, airplanes, etc were stoned. Firing people for being on drugs is a bit of an issue. But there's definitely testing happening all the time.
 Annie was here
Msg: 76
Should New York Ban Using Food Stamps To Buy Sugary Drinks?
Posted: 10/19/2010 9:50:57 PM

Drug testing happens all the time in many different jobs in Canada. It's not even close to being illegal. It's actually illegal not to test in some industries. If you think about it, we'd be truly and fully screwed if guys operating cranes, trains, giant oilsands dump trucks, scaffolding on high rises, welding machines, paving equipment, airplanes, etc were stoned. Firing people for being on drugs is a bit of an issue. But there's definitely testing happening all the time.

Do you have any idea how many pilots have been found to be drunk,and not before they got on the plane,but after many years of this behavior?My late husband was a contractor and worked for the city in winter time doing repairs and snow removal.Never once was he forced to give a blood sample to test for drugs.I know many people who work for the city full time,here and in other places,and none of them are forced to give blood samples.I know because some of them have had substance abuse problems and none were ever fired or found out until their abuse issues went completely out of control.
 RushLuv
Msg: 77
Posted: 10/19/2010 10:54:55 PM

I can honestly say i know for a fact in my experence that most people that collect food stamps have made it their living and have no intentions in finding work.

Yes, there are indeed people out there collecting assistance from the government without working. Some people on welfare are the perfect example, but lets not derail this thread because the OP is about NY banning soda pop from being bought with food stamps.
 OMG!WTF!
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Posted: 10/19/2010 10:59:16 PM

Do you have any idea how many pilots have been found to be drunk,and not before they got on the plane,but after many years of this behavior?My late husband was a contractor and worked for the city in winter time doing repairs and snow removal.Never once was he forced to give a blood sample to test for drugs.I know many people who work for the city full time,here and in other places,and none of them are forced to give blood samples.I know because some of them have had substance abuse problems and none were ever fired or found out until their abuse issues went completely out of control.

Yes. Lots of pilots are loaded while flying. They also drink too much Coke.

What is with people taking a few experiences here and there and then basing their views on an entire group of people on just that?

What indeed? About 10% of Canadian companies require some kind of employee drug testing. Not as many as those damn yanks , but still, quite a few. As well, many more who have employees in the States are required by American law to test.

Here's one Alberta co's policy...

In an effort to reduce exposure to safety risks on Syncrude work sites, a new standard for alcohol and drug screening was implemented in August. The standard requires all new workers to successfully complete an alcohol and drug screening test prior to the workers’ deployment on site. The standard supports Syncrude’s alcohol and drug policy, which considers workers unsuitable for work if they report with a blood alcohol level in excess of 40 milligrams per hundred millilitres in their system, or if their system shows detectable levels of any contraband drug.

Sniffer dogs also are periodically employed to execute searches of company property such as locker rooms, vehicles, lunchrooms, offices and work areas. The dogs are seeking drugs, explosives or any other materials that could pose a threat to employees or the workplace. Syncrude’s alcohol and drug policy expressly prohibits the distribution, possession or consumption of alcohol or drugs on our premises or in any Syncrude vehicles or equipment.

Pretty common in most safety conscious industries.

Food stampers? Let them eat cake. I mean drink Coke. Seems really out of character for Bloomberg.
 Delete_Me_Please
Msg: 79
Posted: 10/20/2010 1:05:17 AM

What? Never have I ever seen heard or experienced any company "requiring" their employees to take a drug test!That would be illegal here.If in the states you have actually reduced peopled rights to the point where employers can force you to take a blood test to see if you are on drugs then you guys are truly and fully screwed!

I can't help but note your indignation over the government telling people what they can do with the government's money or your indignation over a company making drug testing demands over its employees...YET in another thread, you made it quite clear that if an adult child were living in your house, she'd have to abide by your rules. None of these situations are any different. If a person doesn't like the rules of the hand that feeds them, they're free to feed themselves.

The thing that needs to be realized that banning soda purchases by food stamps will make NO difference whatsoever to affect tax payers. It's not like the government is deducting money from every family who purchases soda. Each family will still GET THE SAME AMOUNT OF FOOD STAMPS they received before.

Actually, it does make a difference to tax payers when government subsidized health care is required to treat the health problems caused by such foods. And I understand your point about people substituting sodas with other bad foods, but it's a start and I suppose the city will later evaluate the impact of the soda ban to determine if it's made a difference and/or if other foods should also be banned.

What blows me away is that people have no problem with such blatant wasteful government spending on something that's 100% bad for its recipients. If people really think the caring thing to do is to give people what makes them happy, where's the outrage over the current ban on food stamps for alcohol and tobacco? Does it not even register that in the current health climate, having a Coke is on par with having a cigarette? So if anybody is angry that the city wants to ban sugary drinks, at least show some consistency and declare that the government should also allow cigarettes and alcohol to be purchased with food stamps.
 Twilightslove
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Posted: 10/20/2010 7:40:06 AM
If this is truly about weight loss then getting at least 8.5 hours sleep a night is essential for everyone. Soda is only one of many products on the market that are laden with sugars and those sugars cause the body to go into starvation mode making people eat more foods. White bread which is a staple ingredient in many poor people homes is full of sugars. White bread is purchased more due to its price being so much cheaper than wheat bread.

They have found that people who get 8.5 hours sleep per night lose up to 55 percent more body fat than those who do not get the needed sleep.

So many different things are involved when it comes to weight gain that simply getting rid of soda will not deter most children from becoming obese. It is more just a slap in the face of an already sad situation.
 Annie was here
Msg: 81
Posted: 10/20/2010 1:27:21 PM

If this is truly about weight loss then getting at least 8.5 hours sleep a night is essential for everyone. Soda is only one of many products on the market that are laden with sugars and those sugars cause the body to go into starvation mode making people eat more foods. White bread which is a staple ingredient in many poor people homes is full of sugars. White bread is purchased more due to its price being so much cheaper than wheat bread.

I agree with you about the sleep and the white bread.White bread is pure garbage!Nothing in there is good for you.No nutritional value whatsoever!I try to influence my sisters not to eat it or feed it to their kids but I might as well be talking to a brick wall(I wouldn't force my ways on her even if I could though).The same goes for white sugar,white rice and white flour.If possible when baking use half white and half whole wheat flour.You can get away with using brown sugar in many recipes and the taste does not change at all in most cases,and only slightly in others.
 SweetnessInFlorida
Msg: 82
Posted: 10/20/2010 5:09:05 PM
Just what good will this do?
Almost anything has the potential to make you fat. Meat, starches, sauces, dairy, just about anything can potentially make you fat. Should we insist they only be allowed to buy lettuce and water and south beach diet bars? Being fat is not unique to low income people using food stamps. Many foods are loaded with extra sugars and fats to make them more tasty, and not just the obvious ones. Im fat and im not on foodstamps. I think there are way more important things to worry about in the USA than low income people popping back a coke.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 83
Posted: 10/20/2010 10:40:38 PM
It's not about what makes you fat. It is about what you should avoid if you are overweight.

This won't prevent obesity. And as I mentioned earlier, I'm pretty sure poverty and obesity are strongly linked in America because of how much cheaper bad foods are than good foods.

Overweight people have increased risk of diabetes. If you're at risk of diabetes you should reduce your sugar intake. Sugar water is the most seductive form of sugar ingestion out there.

It's not about reducing obesity. It is about reducing the health care costs associated with obesity.
 Twilightslove
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2010 6:17:42 AM

It is striking that the weight of many Americans has ballooned just as the prescribing of psychiatric drugs has surged. The Obesity Society categorizes nearly two-thirds of adult Americans as overweight, the average weight of an adult having increased since 1960 by 25 pounds, and between 1996 and 2006 alone, prescriptions of psychiatric drugs for US adults increased 73 percent. The courageous Alaskan attorney James Gottstein in 2006 exposed drug company Eli Lilly’s concealment of its knowledge about the effects of its drug Zyprexa3 (approved to treat schizophrenia and bipolar disorder but also prescribed for other conditions) on weight gain, and subsequent reports have revealed such effects of a whole range of psychiatric drugs. But nearly all researchers and journalists who focus on obesity fail to mention the drug link.

It’s hard not to wonder why this happens. Could drug companies be that much more powerful than fast-food chains, or does it take the former much longer to come up with drugs lacking unwanted effects than for McDonald’s to produce healthier foods in smaller portions? Is it perhaps clinicians’ fear of not knowing what to do other than prescribe these drugs? If so, then it’s time to broaden their training so they know more about the wide array of other courses of action that can help many who suffer from emotional problems, such as exercise, meditation, changes in vitamin/mineral intake, participating in the arts, volunteer work, and developing or maintaining close friendships. Whatever the reasons, the result is that not enough people know that many of these emotionally troubled patients now will have added burdens.

What’s worse is that the connection between psychiatric drugs and obesity involves children, too. Over the past two decades the number of obese adolescents has tripled, while the 10 years after 1996 saw prescriptions of psychiatric drugs for US children rise 50 percent. And a new federal study shows that poor children are more likely than other kids to be put on drugs marketed as antipsychotics, one of the greatest culprits for causing major weight gain as well as lifelong metabolic problems. Add the humiliation to which kids subject overweight peers, and the potential psychological damage is frightening.

Another disturbing link could be on the way. The fifth edition of the major psychiatric diagnostic manual, the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-V), is expected to be released in 2013. One proposal under consideration: listing obesity as a mental illness. That would be a mistake, since obesity can be caused by metabolic and other physical problems that are often undiagnosed. And because obesity can also result from psychiatric drugs, calling it a mental illness would create a vicious cycle: Someone is troubled, put them on drugs, they become obese, therefore diagnose them as mentally ill, give them more drugs.
http://www.boston.com/news/health/articles/2010/01/24/fattened_by_pills/

Another forum is discussing the effects that psychiatric drugs are having on weight gain. There are many poor children prescribed these drugs each year as they are usually on Medicaid and the pharmaceutical companies profit handsomely from this. I know firsthand that there are drugs on the market that cause obesity after watching two of my relatives prescribed meds that caused unusual increases in weight and eating habits. Both of them are off the two different meds and while one of them is back to their skinny self the other is still struggling with problems. The drug in the article causes weight problems years after it is removed.

No one wants to consider the effects these drugs are having on the obesity problems today. Instead they just want to blame something like soda pop.
 Twilightslove
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2010 9:42:11 AM
Pazoozoo,

If food stamps were only put in place to stave off hunger and you believe that putting processed foods in ones mouth such as mac and cheese (I'm assuming you are talking about that cheap crap in the boxes), cold cuts (which are not just loaded with sodium but also loaded with nitrates that cause cancers), Kiddie cereals (laden with sugars) and white bread (also laden with sugars) then you are all right with these processed foods causing obesity and many illnesses that cost the American tax payer much more in medical bills paid through medicaid.

# Processed foods are addictive and can cause you to overeat. Whole foods are made up of carbohydrates, proteins, fats, fiber and water. When foods are processed the components of these foods are modified (for example, fiber, water and nutrients are removed) and in other cases, components are concentrated. In each case, processing changes the way they are digested and assimilated in your body.

Eating highly processed or highly concentrated foods can artificially stimulate dopamine (the pleasure neurotransmitter), which plays a role in addiction. In this way, you are eating foods that lack nutrients and fiber, but create a pleasurable feeling. A food addiction starts because you feel good when you are eating these foods and they make you think they taste better. You crave that pleasurable feeling again and again and viola…this is what starts a food addiction.1
# Processed foods are linked to obesity. Additives in processed foods, like high fructose corn syrup, sugar and MSG have been linked to weight gain and obesity.2 Dr. Mercola recently reported about a new study that showed childhood obesity could be reduced by 18 percent, simply by cutting out fast food advertisements during children’s programming.3 The Australian government is clearly more concerned about their children’s health as television advertisements to children were banned several years ago.
# Processed foods often contain ingredients that do not follow the principle of food combining, which can lead to low energy, poor digestion, illness, acidic blood and weight gain. An example would be a frozen meat and cheese pizza. Cheese (a dairy product), meat (an animal protein) and pizza crust (a grain product) make a terrible food combination that can wreak havoc on your digestive health.
# Processed foods contribute to an imbalanced inner ecosystem, which can lead to digestive problems, cravings, illness and disease. Beneficial microflora cannot survive in your digestive tract when you are poisoning them. Like us they thrive on foods that are made by nature not by man.
# A diet high in processed foods can lead to depression, memory issues and mood swings. Ingredients in processed foods are often the lowest cost and sub-par, nutritionally. For example, the fats and oils used in processed foods are refined, which means they are stripped of the essential fatty acids necessary for healthy blood sugar levels, moods and memory. Your heart, hormones and brain suffer when you choose to eat these fats and oils. Instead choose the organic, unrefined or “virgin” fats and oils that are recommended on The Body Ecology Diet.
# Processed foods often go hand in hand with “eating on the run” or multitasking. Most people will choose convenience if they are on the run and in today’s busy lives, who of us isn’t? Unfortunately, multitasking while eating causes people to lose touch with their natural appetite, often leading to weight gain. Additionally, multitasking sends the wrong signals to your digestive system, which needs to be in a restful mode to digest properly.
# Nutrition labels on processed foods are often misleading and have harmful health effects. Many labels say “sugar free,” but contain other sweeteners like agave, which is like high fructose corn syrup. Additionally, product labeling may hide ingredients like GM (genetically modified) foods and harmful additives like MSG. (These are hidden behind words on the label like “natural flavorings” or “approved spices”).4
# Diets high in processed meats (like hot dogs and deli meats) have been linked to various forms of cancer, such as pancreatic cancer, colorectal cancer and stomach cancer.5
# Eating too many processed foods can lead to infertility and malnutrition. Processed foods, like cereal, are stripped of important vitamins and nutrients that your body truly needs. You could be eating a large amount of calories and still be malnourished if your diet is high in processed foods.

Animal studies have shown that over three generations, a deficient diet causes reproduction to cease.6 Today, infertility is on the rise, affecting 7.3 million people in America.
# Processed foods are made for long shelf-life, not long human life! Chemicals, additives and preservatives are added to processed foods so that they will last for a long time without going rancid or affecting the taste of the food. Food manufacturers spend time, money and research on beautiful packaging and strategies to lengthen shelf-life, with little attention on how the foods will lengthen your life or create lasting health.7

http://www.bodyecology.com/archive/10-things-processed-food-industry.php

Soda is a very minor problem compared to the foods that are cheap and processed for convenience.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 86
Posted: 10/21/2010 9:47:30 AM
Not to pick on the above poster, but this seems typical of many of the responses here: Making the perfect the enemy of the good.

Banning the use of food stamps to buy sugar water won't solve all the problems in America. Or even New York City. This isn't a cure all, it's just one single step to try to reduce a problem. Not - repeat, NOT - trying to reduce obesity. Just an attempt to help with one of the problems associated with obesity.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 87
Posted: 10/21/2010 10:04:37 AM
~OT~ The premise behind this post is probably one of those things that looks good in print, but in practicality? Ridiculous. Processed foods in general are not healthy. If you ban one product deemed to be unhealthy, seems logical to ban them all. What would people eat then? It's expensive to eat healthy. When I cut processed foods out of my food budget, my grocery bill increased by about $200.00 per month. That was not a problem for my family, but it would be a problem for those on a fixed grocery budget (i.e.: food cards.) If we want to get all up in arms over soda, it's likely we'd have to then venture into things such as Ensure. Ensure has been a life-saver for me as I struggle to keep weight on, rather than battle taking it off. Reality is? Ensure and other more nutritional drinks are loaded with sugar.

Water, sugar (sucrose), corn syrup, maltodextrin (corn), calcium caseinate, high-oleic safflower oil, canola oil, soy protein isolate, whey protein concentrate, corn oil, calcium phosphate tribasic, potassium citrate, magnesium phosphate dibasic, natural and artificial flavor, soy lecithin, sodium citrate, magnesium chloride, salt (sodium chloride), carrageenan, choline chloride, potassium chloride, ascorbic acid, ferrous sulfate, alpha-tocopheryl acetate, zinc sulfate, niacinamide, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, cupric sulfate, vitamin A palmitate, thiamine chloride hydrochloride, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, folic acid, chromium chloride, biotin, sodium molybdate, sodium selenate, potassium iodide, phylloquinone, vitamin D3 and cyanocobalamin

Although I think there needs to be some sort of way to get obesity to the forefront of health debates, I don't think banning products will make any difference at all in how many Americans are obese. It may make people take notice, but it's not going to change the reality: Americans (on the whole) don't eat healthily, they don't exercise enough (or at all in TOO many cases) and we are a nation of social eaters. To fix the problem will take a LOT more than banning sugared drinks. JMO
 SweetnessInFlorida
Msg: 88
Posted: 10/21/2010 10:22:46 AM
If we really truly want to stop low income people from being obese, the government should raise the food stamp allotments given out. they buy those crap foods because of the low cost. If we want them to eat blanced meals, it will take more money.
Eating well is pricey. I spend on average 6-7oo a month on groceries. Fresh meats veggies fruits and dairy and grains were not cheap, plus i lived in the Florida Keys, and everything had to be imported from Miami, adding to the costs. A gallon milk was about 8 bucks. Eating healthy in paradise wasnt without a blow to the waller. New York is a high cost of living are as well, so i imagine their poor people are in the predicament of having high food costs, only so much in food stamps, and eating soda and mac and cheese looks to be the best thng for them do stay fed. Thats really sad.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Should New York Ban Using Food Stamps To Buy Sugary Drinks?