Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > People who don't post their jobs.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 eastwood969
Msg: 26
People who don't post their jobs.Page 2 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
I might want to go on a date for a one night stand with a woman that has a fatal attraction for me , then how am I supposed to ditch her if she knows where I work?
 baadtz
Msg: 27
People who don't post their jobs.
Posted: 11/11/2010 11:43:11 AM
I agree with post 18.

I do live in a small town and there's plenty of people I recognize on this site. It wouldn't be hard for some random person to find me at my job.

Yes, I'm looking to date and that does take some amount of trust, but I'm still a private person in general and if I don't want to post something for the world to see, I don't have to. If I like a person enough and they ask, I won't mind telling them but that doesn't mean I want to have everyone on POF know about me. That's also the same opinion I take to other bits of information, such as my family or specific places I like to hang out around here.

Where I work at, there's only one in the entire area and you'd have to drive a couple hours away to find another one. Someone could easily see my profile, not message me, swing by my work place and be a complete creeper - the kicked is I wouldn't even know it if they decide not to approach me. That's not even me trying to flatter myself or anything, I mean some people just have weird fetishes and it's possible for anyone to be the target of them.

I really don't care if that makes other people think I'm paranoid. Fact of the matter is bad sh-t does happen to people because they were a little too careless online. If someone is going to pass me up because of that, then by all means, keep walking bub.
 DivineBovine
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 11/11/2010 12:03:00 PM
I think the employed fat chick would have a better chance.

the 102 men who supposedly want to meet me obviously think so!

oh... and i *did* change my profile to say "babysit tax auditors" - i wonder if it'll scare anyone off!
 ThinkPink
Msg: 29
Posted: 11/11/2010 12:04:15 PM
Profession: Man Eater

theforumfiend
Msg: 30
Posted: 11/11/2010 12:55:01 PM
My listed profession is "pain in the butt". Sometimes even having my friends knowing what I do can be a nuisance. I'm not in the medical profession, but like doctors and nurses am asked frequently for advice and given opinions regarding what I do. Gets old fast. I'd just rather be known for me - not what I do.
 forumfishie
Msg: 31
Posted: 11/11/2010 1:00:59 PM
I think the employed fat chick would have a better chance
That is the truth!
 SweetnessInFlorida
Msg: 32
Posted: 11/11/2010 2:22:33 PM
Being interested in what one does for a living does not = golddigger. Every man i have been with has been extremely proud of his job, and asking them about what they do is agreat way to show interest in their life. I have dated subway sandwich makers and doctors, and i have never met obne yet who didndt enjoy their work and at times liked tot alk about it a bit.
 newreality2010
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 11/11/2010 3:53:55 PM
What was it, in fight club?

You are not your wallet, not your kackis, not you whatever.

I am NOT MY JOB.
 christ on a crutch
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 11/11/2010 4:35:46 PM

quite frankly I didn't want looky-loos coming to my place of employment to see if I looked like my pictures, to 'casually drop in' to introduce themselves

bingo.

when i was dating, i was more protective of my workplace info than almost any other personal details. i work in a field with high visibility and few employers. giving out just my job title and the city where i work could easily have led someone to my workplace. the last thing i wanted to have to explain to my boss is why i was the reason security had to haul some nutbar stalker chick out of the lobby.

so if someone was vague about their professional details early on, i gave em the benefit of the doubt.
 forumfishie
Msg: 35
Posted: 11/11/2010 4:38:03 PM
First rule in fight club:
Don't talk about fight club!

How many times must we talk about this topic??
People like to be around other people who HAVE jobs, specially the people they are about to date, what is so hard to understand?
We all want to date responsible, able to take care of their own $hit people.
Right?
If you don't write it down or write down a shady answer then people who read that
get the impression you are a shady character
and , I have to say , in my experience that is the way it's been.
 a_lonewolf
Msg: 36
Posted: 11/11/2010 5:00:57 PM
It doesn't matter to me if people don't post their professions. You can, at the very least, get a response to start a conversation. Now having to ask someone if they are fat or not?
 Sweet_Sensations
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 11/11/2010 8:27:28 PM
I don't post my profession because I am not looking to be anyone's sugar mama.

People are always complaining and leary of women being gold diggers, well I find men are just as bad if not worse... especially if they have child support or alimony payments.
 _Icon_
Msg: 38
Posted: 11/11/2010 9:12:00 PM
My job exposes me to the public and I dont want any creepy fvckers cruising me at work.

I've actually had to deal with numbskulls who think employing my services makes for a great first meet. It pisses me off. I block em just cos I can. As far as I'm concerned it's not any different from inviting himself into my home. Sometimes I will suggest we meet at his place of employment instead. That usually gets the point across.

Do you think my co-workers and I should be exposed to the scum of the fishpond? I'm not willing to take that chance.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 11/11/2010 11:22:09 PM
People who create dating site profile forms, will always try to prompt us to put information of all kinds in. If YOU were going to create your OWN list of things to have people put into profiles, what would YOU ask? It wont be the same as what someone ELSE would ask.
Now: if you are running a dating site, or a social club, you are going to try to put questions in who's answers you don't really care about, but which you think might trigger SOME people into opening up enough about themselves, to start communicating. THAT'S what all the profile questions and blank spaces are for. There's a space for saying what you do for a living, because it's a common question to ask someone you've just met.
NEXT: REAL PEOPLE enter into the situation. We can be a contrary critter, and many of us are. What seems like every day friendly chat to one, feels like annoying prying to another. So some of us, when we hit a blank in the profile, respond with "bite my shiny metal a$$, I'm just not into playing your game right now" and we leave it blank, or put in some snotty message, or get coy, JUST as a way to rebel against that feeling of being manipulated that we ALL get when filling out forms.
FINALLY, plenty of us have felt the sting of prejudice from others about either our professions, or some other part of our lives, and we don't want to give one or two word answers to questions in those areas, for fear that we'll trigger those prejudices again. I'm not even talking about HUGE anti-this-or-that stuff, here, just ASSUMPTIONS people make about each other, so many of which ARE wrong. So we say "ask me when we're talking."
 Walts
Msg: 40
Posted: 11/12/2010 4:25:36 AM

I just don't see what the big deal is. I tend to wonder it's because they're ashamed of their job...when there's really nothing to be ashamed about.

It's a big enough deal(for you) though to start a thread on the subject,,,correct???? Personally, it's something that can come up in conversation,when the time is right,,,kinda like the type of positions we will be using.

I dont want to be around people who put importance on what people do for a living.

I earn a good wage, I enjoy my work, but my life is not about my job. I am not about my job.

I used to be about my job as a younger lady, but in recent years I have learned that in the blink of an eye, your job can vaporize...yet we still remain...the person. Economy can take an entire trade and drop it...leaving the people behind.

femaleconnection's words explain it best for me. In our younger years, when listening and believing what society tell us, we do put a higher value of the "type" of job a person has. As we age, we clue into the reality of it all,,,and understand that the job SHOULD not be making the person. It can be "part" of a person,,,,just not defining them.
I couldn't care less if it's on the profile. Hopefully it does come up in a conversation after a meet or two, cause I would start wondering if she owned some very big guns if it was kept hidden too too long.
 jezebellpgh
Msg: 41
Posted: 11/12/2010 10:39:14 PM
Why is it a complete strangers business about what you do unless you are in the sex industry and can spread disease?
 valenciacityx
Msg: 42
Posted: 11/13/2010 12:08:53 AM
I could tell you the ins and outs of everything that my job entails
we would probably never date afterwards
1) you would be bored
2) you would become paranoid about your insurance
3) you would think I was a liar with an agenda
4) you would with draw your money from the banks and live off the grid

so 'health insurance' really is about all ya gonna get.
 umbrellaman21
Msg: 43
Posted: 11/13/2010 5:04:20 AM

It's a big enough deal(for you) though to start a thread on the subject,,,correct????

If something is being started in a message board, doesn't mean it's a big deal. I've been known to post things on message boards that aren't big of a deal, and this is not one of them.

I mean, what if in the "sex" area....if someone was able to put...instead of male or female...."ask me" or "I'll tell ya later". ROFL!

Why is it a complete strangers business about what you do unless you are in the sex industry and can spread disease?

There's a job where you can spread diseases? I guess that person would be pretty unpopular.
 MissNoWhere
Msg: 44
Posted: 11/13/2010 6:26:43 AM
I am vague in career choice because most people either love people in my profession or they hate us. After all, we put systems in place to keep people safe at work and failure to follow those established systems could result in an injury. Plus, there's all the training people have to go through and people in my profession are heavily driven by regulations and adhering to them.

Personally, I love what I do - it's a passion - but most people really don't get it and I got tired of explaining it after a while so I just put down a vague answer.

_Icon_
Msg: 45
Posted: 11/13/2010 7:11:31 AM
There's a job where you can spread diseases? I guess that person would be pretty unpopular.

Any job where you are required to touch someone can spread disease. I am required to re-take sanitation education before I can renew my license to practice every two years. I assure you that my industry is thriving.

OP you're being narrow minded. Obviously you can't think outside your own tiny viewpoint. Anyone who deviates from your expected norm has something wrong with them. I have no patience for people who think the way you do.

I suppose my profile is working as intended. Next.
 MissNoWhere
Msg: 46
Posted: 11/13/2010 7:22:54 AM

Any job where you are required to touch someone can spread disease.

That's true - I'm required to go through BBP (Bloodborne Pathogen Training) annually because in my role at work I am trained to respond to medical emergencies (essentially keep 'em breathing 'till the experts get there). I am NOT touching someone without gloves, but you can't stop someone from throwing up on you, nor can you avoid a drunk passed out in the back of the site from spitting on you when you try to wake him from his stupor.
 _Icon_
Msg: 47
Posted: 11/13/2010 7:37:18 AM
I take my privacy pretty seriously. It's not anyone's business until I decide to let them into my world. Most people never get to see my world, I don't like people in there breaking things. It took a long time to build it.

I guess if you spend your day as a cubicle drone, you lose your ability to accept any other lifestyle.

We are Borg. Resistance is futile.
 umbrellaman21
Msg: 48
Posted: 11/13/2010 9:25:09 AM
OP you're being narrow minded. Obviously you can't think outside your own tiny viewpoint. Anyone who deviates from your expected norm has something wrong with them. I have no patience for people who think the way you do.

I didn't think I was being narrow minded, but if it seems that way, I'm sorry if it came off as that way.....but that's the nature of a message board, people judge you base on what you post, hey, if they want to keep it incognito that's fine.

I was making a joke actually, I meant spreading diseases....deliberately....sometimes it comes off differently on paper. I'm sorry.

In fact, I used to work with waste water, so we do have something in common when it comes to handling bodily fluids.

_Icon_
Msg: 49
Posted: 11/13/2010 12:02:01 PM
I don't handle body fluids unless something goes terribly wrong. Usually its not more than a nicked knuckle or a slice of ear from a squirmy worm, even then its rare...

I am not used to talking to people who don't have much imagination. You REALLY need to look up from the cubicle, man.

I own a hair salon. Everyone in my industry must be certified to dispose of biohazardous waste, including blood and sanitation chemicals.

Back on topic, I have had to involve the police when I was stalked in the past, it is very time consuming and usually doesn't do much good. The next stalker is going to meet the end of my 9mm.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
 _Icon_
Msg: 50
Posted: 11/13/2010 12:10:51 PM
The only time it would be relevant would be if there are certain professions you always avoid anyway.

For example, I won't date a cop or a sex worker. Something like that would most likely come up in early conversations anyway.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > People who don't post their jobs.