Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > People who don't post their jobs.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 101
People who don't post their jobs.Page 5 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
Some people think that my listed jobs are not real--go figure.

I don't like to post my job (teacher) because the inevitable question is where do I teach. I do not share that information until/unless I meet the man. I let it slip once to a man whom I spoke with on the phone, and he searched for me on the school's website. Creepy.

I do, however, often mention my students on my profile. Most men only look at my pictures and don't bother to read the profile. Go figure.

And I doubt that any of them will read this post.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 102
People who don't post their jobs.
Posted: 11/27/2010 5:24:06 PM

I've met my share of idiots who had degrees and some of the smartest people I've met who didn't,

My experience has been the opposite--but then, I have met many, many people with degrees instead of just a few.

I don't have a degree but have had jobs where they were advertised as requiring a degree and I still got the job despite being up against degree qualified candidates.

I don't worry about being up against non-degreed people in my field: one can't teach without a degree.
 a_lonewolf
Msg: 103
Posted: 11/27/2010 6:04:59 PM
Iused to have listed that I'm a "gynecologist, but don't worry, I have small hands."
Needless to say........ no responses to any of my messages. Just read/delete
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 104
Posted: 11/27/2010 8:57:09 PM

hmmmmmmm.............i wonder how many women would actually respond to a guy who put plumber as his occupation if he's a plumber. lol

Last week, a plumber replaced the faucet in my bathroom sink for $213. It took him about 15 minutes. Why wouldn't a woman date a plumber? He obviously has money and being a plumber doesn't equal being stupid or ugly.

I would respond to a plumber if his picture were decent and if his profile showed some creativity and literacy.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 105
Posted: 11/27/2010 9:08:53 PM

Bottom line is I am not my job and if my date asks any questions about my profession I walk away because that is obviously all they care about if they are asking those kinds of questions.

If a man is a telemarketer, I wouldn't date him. I wouldn't date a politician. I wouldn't date someone who teaches at the same school where I teach. I wouldn't date someone who doesn't have a job--unless he is retired or independently wealthy. I supported a man for seven years and I won't do that again.

There are all sorts of reasons why someone would want to know another person's profession.
 SlowMotionApocalypse
Msg: 106
Posted: 12/1/2010 12:05:03 PM
I don't like talking about it but it's not always easily avoided.
 Bookbelle
Msg: 107
view profile
History
Posted: 12/1/2010 12:27:40 PM
"Student" because that is what I am. I can't actually put anything else because I don't actually have a job at the moment... but believe me, it's not for want of trying!

I've applied to everywhere I can think of where I might have a chance... I really would love to have a job, I feel lazy without one. The only ones I *have* found are jobs that would clash with uni, or jobs that I have no hope in hell of getting. :(
 Sabrosura089
Msg: 108
Posted: 12/1/2010 12:52:08 PM

hmmmmmmm.............i wonder how many women would actually respond to a guy who put plumber as his occupation if he's a plumber. lol

^^I would. Why would that deter a woman from responding? It may not be a white collar job, but they do well/honest living.
 Apollodorus
Msg: 109
Posted: 12/1/2010 2:39:20 PM

There are all sorts of reasons why someone would want to know another person's profession.

No there is just one reason why someone would want to know what my job is.... which is they are just after money.
 DudeistPriest
Msg: 110
Posted: 12/1/2010 4:42:34 PM
I'm not sure what kind of response I'd get if I actually put Vaginal Taste Tester on a dating profile.....

Seriously, I feel that's the sort of thing that can be discussed F2F. After all, my job is how I pay the bills, not who I am.

Gwendolyn, where can I forward my resume to? I'm interested in applying for the Royal Derriere Kisser position.
 Email Tom Now
Msg: 111
Posted: 12/5/2010 8:29:15 AM
"Last week, a plumber replaced the faucet in my bathroom sink for $213."

you got hosed.

i'll do it for $199! lol

"it took him about 15 minutes."

YOU ARE NOT PAYING $213 JUST FOR HIS TIME.
you are paying that for his training, his travel time, his gasoline, his truck, his tools, his yrs of experience and guarantee that the job was done professionally and correct.

you are paying for his KNOWLEDGE.

i'm a house painter. interior/exterior.
i go into DOZENS of homes each year and see where the previous painter slopped paint on the wood trim and didn't even bother to wipe it off. as a professional painter you are paying for my neatness and my experience and my patience.
 Apollodorus
Msg: 112
Posted: 12/5/2010 9:23:23 AM
^^^^^your job is a private thing, it is just as private as your medical records

I am not about to financially support anyone else in a relationship

What if your boyfriend got into a car accident and could not work and then on top of that you make too much money in your job so he can't apply for disability? would you leave him?

I think a person having no job is a big test to the stability of the relationship and a very big test of character or lack of character in the person that is dating the person with no job.
 Apollodorus
Msg: 113
Posted: 12/5/2010 11:00:14 AM
{quote]But we're here on a DATING SITE and we're discussing someone stating their job/career in their DATING PROFILE. We're not talking about a scenario (as you are) where someone is in an already established relationship and tragedy strikes and someone is therefore unable to work. Right? 2 completely different scenarios. Apples and oranges.

actually both scenarios are tied in together

So are you saying, too, that if someone meets someone in a DATING SITE and finds out that person does not/cannot work, they don't have much character if they choose NOT to get involved with someone who is not working/is unable to work?

yes I am ,it shows that they will not be able to handle it when the situation gets really tough in any other aspect of the relationship. a person like that is not good relationship material and I wouldn't want a person that will jump ship if things get tough.
 Apollodorus
Msg: 114
Posted: 12/7/2010 8:11:58 PM
^^^^ i think it is very sad that someone would base there entire reason for dating or not dating someone based on what they put in the profession field. The person job is not them or who they are in anyway, you can't judge someone's character, personality etc.

I would rather have someone judge me for who I am and not what I do for a living because my job is not me and it also weeds out the gold diggers too.
 shaggalicious
Msg: 115
Posted: 12/7/2010 8:25:46 PM
You have your picture on here, and now the world might know you work with children. Google plenty of fish forums "work with children" and see how many posts come up.
 shaggalicious
Msg: 116
Posted: 12/7/2010 9:37:23 PM
email tom now, your profile doesn't have house painter, it says you own a tanning business. Hmmmm
 trinity818
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2010 8:18:14 AM

No there is just one reason why someone would want to know what my job is.... which is they are just after money

That has to be one of the most idiotic, close-minded things I've read in these forums.
Emphasis on "just one reason". That's just ridiculous. There have been many other reasons stated in this thread.
 RobertKoi
Msg: 118
Posted: 12/8/2010 8:08:13 PM
"No there is just one reason why someone would want to know what my job is.... which is they are just after money."
-----------
Very often, yes. A rich guy should always smoke out gold diggers by not telling them what he does and see where it leads. Judging by the posts on this forum by the way, I wouldn't touch the women posting here with rubber gloves.

G l.
 Dan99993
Msg: 119
Posted: 12/8/2010 8:22:10 PM
There can be many reasons, but I suppose at some point (early on) it would be a good idea to talk about it. People want to know about you, piece up the puzzle.

It's not an obligation to talk about it in your profile. Not only because you're afraid of gold-diggers..

as long as you don't remain a mystery
 SouthBayNative
Msg: 120
Posted: 12/9/2010 8:56:14 AM

A rich guy should always smoke out gold diggers by not telling them what he does and see where it leads

Yeah, but we're onto that one. Smart women will only respond to profiles without jobs listed because the guy either has a high level top-secret CIA type career or is a multimillionaire in hiding looking for his soulmate on here.
 DudeistPriest
Msg: 121
Posted: 12/9/2010 9:22:01 AM
^^^^^^^^^
Or a homeless transient with a lap top, just sayin'....
 RobertKoi
Msg: 122
Posted: 12/9/2010 4:57:45 PM
"Yeah, but we're onto that one. Smart women will only respond to profiles without jobs listed because the guy either has a high level top-secret CIA type career or is a multimillionaire in hiding looking for his soulmate on here."
----------
No. Smart women only respond to profiles where there's at least SOME gurantee that the guy's rich and that he's going to beat her up just for fun and sleep with other women.
 SouthBayNative
Msg: 123
Posted: 12/16/2010 3:56:22 PM
^^^A funny thing happened to me when I was still looking for a date on here. I changed my income to over $100,000. and suddenly I got a bunch of very local men contacting me. The same ones who had looked at my profile before and passed it over several times. So I guess you can extrapolate...
 Apollodorus
Msg: 124
Posted: 12/17/2010 8:35:46 AM

You can extrapolate that ... these men earn six digits or more and were all looking for a woman who can pull her own weight?

No those men were not looking for a women who can pull there own weight there were looking for a bank account with money in it that they can spend. anyone who bases there decision to date someone based on what they put in the profession field is not looking for someone that can pull there own weight.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 125
Posted: 12/17/2010 8:38:02 AM

What's the big deal of not putting "Sales" or "Construction" or whatever?

Because Sales could mean inside sales for $10/hr or (exaggerated but used term) "Account Executive" ie Sales Person making $250k/yr. One could be a manager of a construction site making $80k/yr, or a construction worker making $15/hr. It's too general, and can lead to assumption. And one's profile is being posted pretty much publicly.

The real question is -- what's the big deal of having to know right off the bat before you even talk with them? It's only your business until you're corresponding with them, right, IF you "don't really care", right?
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > People who don't post their jobs.