Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Can you BE thankful for who/what you've got? 10days to Tday, 40 to X      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 jezebellpgh
Msg: 26
Can you BE thankful for who/what you've got? 10days to Tday, 40 to Xmas..Page 2 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
I'll be spending money probably through the an outdoor catalogue. Again, Christmas is a Christian holiday and it is not just another day to some people. The only couple's day out of a year is Valentine's Day and that one is insignificant as well as the stupid one of St. Patrick's Day.
 Welsh474
Msg: 27
Can you BE thankful for who/what you've got? 10days to Tday, 40 to Xmas..
Posted: 11/16/2010 12:50:01 PM
I think Christmas is "just another day" to alot of folks. Some do the once a year visit to their church, most don't. Most are hypocritical about it anyway. As a total non believer, I don't give a second thought to the origin of the holiday, I do like to spend that time with family. Any extra time for family and friends, sharing laughter and joy is special to most of us. Telling friends and family how much they mean to you should not be done on special occasions or holidays, it should be done year round.
 FyrKrakn
Msg: 28
Posted: 11/16/2010 3:49:23 PM
Holidays shmolidays. Pressure of this kind is unaacceptable to me. I choose joy and gratitude and the rest can suck it.
 Archangel_07
Msg: 29
Posted: 11/16/2010 4:41:56 PM
**** a Christmas. It's a normal day of a typical holiday ( the worldy Christmas anyway) I am very thankful for what I have it's the BS pressure of Christmas holiday is what pisses me off. Santa Claus drop dead
 Archangel_07
Msg: 30
Posted: 11/16/2010 5:00:49 PM
Fredhh,
Don't guilt trip me with your bs. Your missing my point, like a sniper missing the bullseye. And yes I can be thankful and I am thankful for what I have, it's the pressure of the holidays that's a piss off.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 31
Posted: 11/16/2010 5:58:14 PM
Having to have someone around the holiday season is something stores sell us because it's easier to get us to buy people more stuff. Entirely commercial...especially when we see decorations in stores for Xmas before Halloween.

I like Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Years for the friends, family and spending time relaxing alone and or with people I am close to. An SO is of no consequence to that. If one's there - great. If not - great.

I am always thankful for the basics. A job, food, good health, good friends, and little stupid things like warm socks, good coffee, great music, a nice run, a good book. All else but the absolute basics is a bonus for me.
 SouthBayNative
Msg: 32
Posted: 11/16/2010 7:07:42 PM

Holidays shmolidays. Pressure of this kind is unaacceptable to me. I choose joy and gratitude and the rest can suck it.

Ooph. But how do you really feel? Keeping your feelings repressed is unhealthy you know and stressful.
 _Icon_
Msg: 33
Posted: 11/17/2010 6:09:48 AM

See? I still find this statement to be incongruous with the philosophical genesis of this thread. The thread apparently advocates acceptance and gratitude for one's current circumstances, yet goes on to advocate taking personal responsibility for CHANGING something for which one should be grateful.

That's what happens when you read too many self-help books and then take them all straight to heart instead of thinking for yourself.
 trinity818
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 11/17/2010 6:15:31 AM
It's a trauma for some folks. My sister died on Christmas Eve a few years ago. Her daughters live with me. Every year gets a little better. We do our best to move on and enjoy the holidays, but it does require some extra effort.
 _Icon_
Msg: 35
Posted: 11/17/2010 7:03:02 AM
^^^My condolences for your loss. That's unfortunate timing for sure. In your family, I can understand why it's difficult.

Most people don't have to endure that kind of reminder on the holidays though. In that case, it's little more than self-pity, and that's just not very sympathetic. Those people just need to get over themselves and deal with whatever unrealistic expecations they still harbor.

It's a religious celebration, it's not a "kill yourself if you dont live with the Waltons" day.
 daynadaze
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 11/17/2010 10:53:21 AM
My oldest daughter and son-in-law gave me the gift of sight for my combined birthday in Oct. and Christmas presents, they paid for my cataract surgeries! After being legally blind for years and getting much much worse, I can see!

My youngest daughter has given me the most precious granddaughter imaginable, now that's a another gift that keeps on giving!

My son is safe and sound on American shores after doing several tours in Iraq & Afghanistan so no worries about where he is this holiday season. He's a medic on a Blackhawk.

Alas my son-in-law will be leaving in early Dec. for a year in Iraq, so not all is well, but right now my family is safe and that's about as special Thanksgiving as you can get. I don't think I'll be spending my time in woe about not having me a man.
 TerrieLynnC
Msg: 38
Posted: 11/17/2010 3:57:26 PM

I don't think I'll be spending my time in woe about not having me a man

^^^^^^^and neither will I because it ain't worth it!
 foreverstacey
Msg: 39
Posted: 11/17/2010 6:11:58 PM
I'm incredibly thankful for everything I have right now.. I honestly think i'm one of the luckiest people alive .. and wouldn't you know it, I'm single.. without a man :)
 Crabby_McCrabberson
Msg: 40
Posted: 11/18/2010 3:23:36 PM
I am amazed and thankful about an intersection of orbits, so well timed. My S/O was online & available, when I was looking to chat & only that. If I'd've been screening for someone to date, I'd've screened him RIGHT out.

[[ No offense honey, but I only wanted to date in my own town; and photos w/ fish & bikes turned my blood to ice until I met you. Now, God help me, I think yours are cute. ]]

Holidays got fun again for me when I cut out every single thing I was doing out of a feeling of obligation.
 Crabby_McCrabberson
Msg: 41
Posted: 11/18/2010 3:30:40 PM

I choose joy and gratitude and the rest can suck it.

Unless somebody objects, I'm going to paste this portion of post # 34 on every single page of every single forum thread between now and New Year's.
 xlr8ingmargo
Msg: 42
Posted: 11/18/2010 4:00:56 PM
As most posters already know, i have buried both the men I loved in life~
I want to tell you a condensed version of the first Christmas I had with the late father of my kids.

He was a trucker and we had a very good paying load going up to Montana off I-90 someplace. We had delivered the load and were headed to the nearest truck stop.
It was snowing hard but we managed to make it. We were stuck there for five days with the power going on and off inside the truck stop~ trucks lined in every space available; bodies all over the floor in blankets. It was one heck of a storm and so cold I was so scared Id freeze in the middle of the north west. Everything was buried in a mountain of snow. I remember when it stopped and the sun came out long enough to get things moving and snow plows to dig out the lot. It took two days longer to get most of us moving and to find loads out of the area. Seven days. We were down to the last of everything we had. Cash, advances, food, drinks, cigarettes~ you name it.
It was x-mas day on day #6. All we had to eat were peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, snack cakes, Hersheys Chocolate bars, and canned sodas. Sitting there in that old Peterbuilt wrapped up in blankets with the heater barely running to save fuel,
I had the best Christmas ever. He made me a ring from the bread tie I had fro many years I cherished so very much. We gave each other love. Love people. Love.
The gift of the heart. Isnt that whats most important during the holidays, or any for that matter? I still think of that Christmas and smile like few other memories can make me smile. We talked and talked for ever it seemed that year. It was too cold for much of anything else! Moral of the story? Be THANKFUL for everything!
 Pilose_Wink
Msg: 43
Posted: 11/18/2010 4:36:10 PM

Holidays got fun again for me when I cut out every single thing I was doing out of a feeling of obligation.

What she said! ^^^^^^^^^

But before I could really have fun, I had to cut through all of the guilt trips those who some how wanted me to feel oblidged too. It can be hard to being and individual in a lemming world and I'm thankful that I finally took steps to be fun for me.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 44
Posted: 11/18/2010 5:15:24 PM

But before I could really have fun, I had to cut through all of the guilt trips those who some how wanted me to feel oblidged too. It can be hard to being and individual in a lemming world and I'm thankful that I finally took steps to be fun for me.

I'm thankful I'm not alone in how I've decided to live my life.
 moonbeamlover
Msg: 45
Posted: 11/20/2010 5:54:24 PM
AWESOME thread...

cherish those in my life that I have (especially my grown and almost grown kids; they are AMAZING and I am truly blessed to have them); appreciate the gifts that I have (we are so spoiled rotten in this country; we have no idea how fortunate most of us are in having even the basics we take for granted a lot of other countries don't have), thankful for amazing work with amazing people,

don't have anyone romantic but DO have amazing friends; can enjoy and be very thankful for them... have activities I very much enjoy that I will continue to love; and appreciate the spirit behind the season without getting caught up in the franticness of it, and continue to reach out in the group I'm active in helping those people divorced or separated who don't have family around; knowing they're not alone. Anyone who feels even a little better because of the hand or shoulder, I'm very glad for them.

It can be beautiful, festive, a time to celebrate and reach out more than usual; and a time to take stock.

If next holiday season there is a significant other I'll celebrate that too; if not; I'll STILL be thankful for all of the above :)

amended:

I choose joy and gratitude and the rest can suck it."

Unless somebody objects, I'm going to paste this portion of post # 34 on every single page of every single forum thread between now and New Year's.

LOL. Love this. I might too (speaking of cherishing loved ones; off for a date with my oldest son. His request even. Nice to know they're never too old to want time with mom :)
 *topchef*
Msg: 46
Posted: 11/21/2010 8:50:53 AM
I make the effort to be thankful and appreciate of people in my life each day. Holidays don't change that. I reluctantly respect some of the traditions as many people dont understand why you cant get in the "festive" spirit, so it is just easier to play along. In my heart I feel a little sad for people who knock themselves out to go overboard or meet everyone elses (or societal) expectations this time of year. Having gratitude and a giving heart all year long can make the "holidays" seem less stressful.
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 47
Posted: 12/9/2010 7:55:00 AM
If there is nobody special available, what can YOU do to change that by next Holiday season?

Helping others in need can usually generate a warm feeling of significance in the helper, and when it is mutual then you have likely made a new friend.

Now we have about two weeks to get in the Holiday spirit and find someone in need to share some joy with!

If you don't know someone in your family or pool of friends that you can help make a difference in their life,
just walk outside your door and around your neighborhood a few miles..
 eastwood969
Msg: 48
Posted: 12/9/2010 10:26:26 AM
I am thankful everyday that my health has improved somewhat. Christmas used to be more fun including tons of relatives but as we get older many of them have died and the holiday just seems like any other day maybe worse because it lacks business. Too bad I don't sell toys. As for what I can change for next year. I'ts possible I will have a woman by next year but I think it's going to be closer to 3 or 4 years but still before I get too old. I stay focused on money especially now because the IRS is becoming a blood sucking parasite. I can't pay them now, hate to see how much I will owe them if another year goes by.
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 49
Posted: 12/9/2010 11:22:30 AM
Great friends and a new foster dog.

I'm still kickin footballs up the azz of the world

Just have to do it less often................Cheers
 Cdn_Iceman
Msg: 50
Posted: 12/9/2010 2:18:35 PM
I with topchef on this one, Im thankful every day and dont need a festive holiday or special occasion to appreciate what I have in life, every day is special when you wake up on this side of the earth above ground not below ground, and you have no stress, financial problems, good health, good friends/family/relationships, long live capitalism.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Can you BE thankful for who/what you've got? 10days to Tday, 40 to Xmas..