Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Can you BE thankful for who/what you've got? 10days to Tday, 40 to X      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Dan198508
Msg: 162
Can you BE thankful for who/what you've got? 10days to Tday, 40 to Xmas..Page 8 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
That's my point: you cannot approve of something without judging. Which brings me back to my other argument, what is right and wrong, what defines it?

Do you know that Nelson Mandela went to jail and was thought to be the country's biggest terrorist? An then, was awarded the Nobel prize for peace? If in 1945, you set a bomb and killed Germans, France and USA called you a Patriot, but Germany called you a terrorist.

Right and wrong are notions made up by a group of people and is only true to those people, during a certain period of time, in a certain place. When, for Truth to be true, so many factors have to converge, it's not Truth it's fkall.

And when they die, their "truth" dies with them. Truth doesn't die. 2 + 2 = 4 today, tomorrow, in a billion years, and if you ask a Hindu, or a criminal, or a rapist, or a hero, or a tyran, or a Muslim, he tells you 4 also! That's truth!

Why do you think that your judgement is sound? Because your parents told you so? Because the TV told you so? Because you read it in a book? Because Dr. Phil told you? Who told you, with absolute certainty, that their judgement is Truth? Only God's judgement is Truth, and God doesn't exist or he died long ago.
 Dee4166
Msg: 163
view profile
History
Can you BE thankful for who/what you've got? 10days to Tday, 40 to Xmas..
Posted: 12/1/2014 6:37:00 AM
The "Ultimate Truth" here is that people die in an untimely manner....Good, people, young people....
And yes, part of being human is understanding that what MAY be "valued" today may NOT be, tomorrow...but I believe that MBL's point is that there is no "approval" needed here, in this particular situation....

Part of the "Truth" also is, that there are MANY good people that die too soon, and being a part of the Universe's effort to "understand itself" is experiencing the reality of being a HUMAN BEING who has emotions as well as logic and intellect,...We are more than the sum of what we think....

Would you deny the Universe the chance to understand itself on an emotional and spiritual level as a part of the brevity of human existence, in favour of an exclusively rational approach?

As a scientist, you have to explore ALL aspects of existence...some of which, admittedly, ARE subjective, but NO less important....in understanding the "Big Picture"....
 Bebedeleau
Msg: 164
view profile
History
Posted: 12/1/2014 7:05:13 AM
Empathy is not sympathy. Empathy is just the ability to feel what another person is feeling. It doesn't have values and such attached to it.

Dan, your haircut and sandwich examples are your perception (interpretation). You may have very well interpreted differently what the intentions were. Your perception is based on many of your own experiences and internal thoughts.

You've stated interesting things to think about, but yes, your thinking seems to be based on a lot of logic and personal beliefs (born from multitudes of things) and not so much spiritual or psychological things, IMO, and certainly not detached from your own "hang ups" or "button's pushed" (not detached from your experiences)

"We are not human on a spiritual journey, we are spirits on a human journey".

Beliefs influence your thoughts, too. You believe that life ending has something to do with environment/health, etc. I believe life ends when you are done. I also believe you have 'escape routes' throughout life when you can go, and choose not to, because you aren't done. Yes, your body will only live so many years and yes not taking care of it may shorten it, but if you cared to subscribe to the belief that some people are mean to learn to hold it out "for the long haul" and some people are meant to overcome giving up as part of their lessons, that could be explained (or, I'd say rationalized, because I'm not sure I 'buy' into that theory so much, but, I'm know also that it clashes with my belief/value of personal responsibility/accountability ... just because it causes dissonance in my thinking doesn't mean it couldn't be true, and indeed, validated by examples).

There's a quote that says something like "the more you know, the more you know you don't know" or something like that. I find that to be true, especially as you age, which, you haven't yet, but you will, and then you will understand :)

I get your theories on some of the empathy points and they were great explanations to your thinking/theory beliefs, but totally don't get where having empathy or helping those that are sick or handicap makes you hate those who are not if they don't help. That falls into the judgment category and I certainly don't think that the judgment has to do with money, but rather people. In my eyes, it is the "not in my backyard" syndrome and most would help if it was ('in their backyard).

Perception and beliefs.

We can interpret anything the way we want, based on where we are "coming from". Hardly anyone will interpret things exactly the same and some quite differently based on all of their 'self' (perceptions, belief, prior experiences/learning, spirituality, unresolved issues, etc. etc. and on and on). Here's a good example:

http://jfmaho.wordpress.com/2008/06/26/11-things-you-may-not-want-to-know-about-winnie-the-pooh/
 Supersoulson
Msg: 165
Posted: 12/1/2014 7:18:39 AM

SuperSoulSon
Am I the only one who thinks of Chandler when I read the title of this topic ?

Haha - Could you BE any more thankful?

HAHA could you BE the only one who watched Friends ?
 naysaying_knicktwist
Msg: 166
Posted: 12/1/2014 7:47:23 AM
^^^When I read your first post, this scene came to mind:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqRettnX23U
 Supersoulson
Msg: 167
Posted: 12/1/2014 7:59:09 AM
LOL ^^^^^ Yeah, good one !
Sometimes that show had some pretty golden moments !

.... could we BE any more off topic ?

I'm thankful for all the laughs that show provided, so neener neener.
 Dan198508
Msg: 168
Posted: 12/1/2014 8:19:44 AM

The "Ultimate Truth" here is that people die in an untimely manner....Good, people, young people....
And yes, part of being human is understanding that what MAY be "valued" today may NOT be, tomorrow...but I believe that MBL's point is that there is no "approval" needed here, in this particular situation....

Part of the "Truth" also is, that there are MANY good people that die too soon, and being a part of the Universe's effort to "understand itself" is experiencing the reality of being a HUMAN BEING who has emotions as well as logic and intellect,...We are more than the sum of what we think....

Would you deny the Universe the chance to understand itself on an emotional and spiritual level as a part of the brevity of human existence, in favour of an exclusively rational approach?

As a scientist, you have to explore ALL aspects of existence...some of which, admittedly, ARE subjective, but NO less important....in understanding the "Big Picture"....

My reply to this is that everyone dies in an untimely manner. Do you know a single person on Earth that has been told by his family "Ok, now is the right time for you to die." LOL.

There are many good people that die too soon, yes, Einstein died too soon, I would have loved to see the outcome of his struggle with finding the truth, Nelson Mandela died too soon, and if he had lived 150 years I would have said the same thing. Because the more we live, the more wisdom and knowledge we acquire and when we die we lose it all.

There is nothing wrong with letting the Universe understand itself on an emotional level, all I'm saying is all this is time dependent and you could spend the same amount of time understanding things that are deeper, more profound and more intense, I speak of pleasure, I speak of the center of the brain rather than the extremes (emotions). Sensation is different from emotion. No emotion in the world will ever come close to a true sensation of pleasure.

With science and aspects of existence, scientists try to put existence in a box. Say, existence starts here and ends here. This can be seen in their attempts of finding the infinitly small and the infinitly big. They try to find the smallest particle to say, "we are made of this and nothing else" and they try to find the boundaries of the universe. And they find none.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 169
view profile
History
Posted: 12/1/2014 9:06:45 AM
^^^^

Baloney. You are science illiterate

I'm in the sciences. I don't know any scientists who put anything in a 'box'. It is the antithesis of science to claim limits, boundaries. That is left to religion. Religion speaks of beginnings, ends, truth. Science is a process...not and end. Science presents evidence, replication through testing of hypothesis...this increases 'knowledge'. There is no end game in the science.
 Dan198508
Msg: 170
Posted: 12/1/2014 9:16:21 AM
^ Science is about measurement. For a measurement to take place, a measurable quantity should be present. Can science measure infinity? Infinity is a catastrophe in the science community. It's only accepted in math and in Brian Greene's string theory. And Brian Greene's string theory is considered to be "religion" in the scientific community because it talks of infinities and it talks about things that can't be measured, like multi-verses.

What you speak of is mental boundaries or spiritual boundaries because you have not understood what I said. I was talking about physical boundaries. Also, you're not in science, you're in engineering. Engineering is different from science which is in part why you know fkall about it. I have a bachelor in chemistry so I am more into science than you sir. So, speaking of religion, I have to stand by Matthew 13:13 which says:

"Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand."

And neither do you sir.
 activemelaney
Msg: 171
view profile
History
Posted: 12/1/2014 10:22:25 AM
Dan, did you by chance go to Bible college?

It was drummed into my brain from Chemistry 101 and six years of science labs that Science is a methodology. It is not, as Sciencetreker rightly points out, about sticking anything in an absolute box.

Change the ingredients in the soup and it tastes differently. Only religious whackos claim to know all the ingredients.

You might want to open the window and look out into the world beyond Christian Academy. You'll discover if you ever take a Science 101 course that there never was a Noah's Ark or parting of the Red Sea. Leprechauns and devils do not exist regardless of what is written in your Bible.
 ClooneysTutor
Msg: 172
Posted: 12/1/2014 11:55:04 AM
Stuffing a stocking will definitely have a whole new meaning this year! I hope...
 Dan198508
Msg: 173
Posted: 12/1/2014 12:09:22 PM

Dan, did you by chance go to Bible college?

It was drummed into my brain from Chemistry 101 and six years of science labs that Science is a methodology. It is not, as Sciencetreker rightly points out, about sticking anything in an absolute box.

Change the ingredients in the soup and it tastes differently. Only religious whackos claim to know all the ingredients.

You might want to open the window and look out into the world beyond Christian Academy. You'll discover if you ever take a Science 101 course that there never was a Noah's Ark or parting of the Red Sea. Leprechauns and devils do not exist regardless of what is written in your Bible.

I am an atheist.

I am a chemist, that counts as a scientist, you do not teach me scientific methodology, I teach it to you. What can you tell me about it? Do you know about establishing operational definitions and procedures, validating a measurement system, using Design of Experiment (DOE) methodology, using fractional factorial design? Do you know the terminilogy? Comparison, randomisation, replication, blocking? Can you explain them on the top of your head?
 moonbeamlover
Msg: 174
Posted: 12/1/2014 12:31:06 PM

I am an atheist.

I am a chemist, that counts as a scientist, you do not teach me scientific methodology, I teach it to you. What can you tell me about it? Do you know about establishing operational definitions and procedures, validating a measurement system, using Design of Experiment (DOE) methodology, using fractional factorial design? Do you know the terminilogy? Comparison, randomisation, replication, blocking? Can you explain them on the top of your head?

interesting... an atheist who quotes scripture. Can't say Ii have stumbled on that before.

I THINK maybe the issue? Is you are trying to strip to quantifiable scientific methodology factors that are NOT all quantifiable.

You talk about right and wrong. There is context there. Is it western? middle eastern? Christian? Arab? Agnostic? Capitalist? Communist?

What is the background belief system of a person. What guided the factors in their life that made up their rationalization, their decision-making, what molded their belief system and comfort zone.

You want that all to be biological and chemical elements, but in human behavior, it can't be. There is neurology. There is psychology. There is learned responses to traumatic events. There is sometimes almost a brainwashing... you can't exclude those factors as unimportant. Many times human ailments are pspychologically based. And if a medical doctor is ONLY looking for a scientific reasoning or a biological reasoning for the illness and completely disregards the life situation, stresses and conditions of the patient, they may full well miss entirely the entire cause of the breakdown.

So while I don't think people are faulting your using scientific to HELP quantify something; at least I am saying you are doing a disservice to FULLY exclude the environmental and human factors that also are incorporated into the findings. They can sometimes be equally important.

And a person's life (again to me) IS important; because they are the only individual on earth with exactly their combination of biological, spiritual and emotional components.

And while you say sensualism is good and emotions are bad? I say both are amazing. I live in Minnesota in the winter so it can get ridiculously cold. But when spring hits; it is like you ahve died and gone to heaven. It is AMAZING.

Being able to not only feel warm oil or warm sun on your face while a cool breeze hites you, but have the emotional resonance to ENJOY that sensual experience... to have not only the auditory appreciation of a song but to have the emotional connection to it; it makes you feel passion, it makes you feel sadness, it makes you feel love, it makes ou remember a time associated with that song that bring those memories and emotions back.

Sensual experience is amazing; and I am extremely tuned into mine; but I know personally, sensory with emotional is how I feel fully alive.

Letting onesself feel as well as be able to taste, touch, and intellectually understand? Is what makes us human and what separates us from the rest of the species.

Why not cellebrate our humanity and allow ourselves to connect iwth another individual's own humanity; and try and look at the world from their eyes for a moment.

Ii am trying to do it from your point of view now; hopefully you will return the favor and try and see it from mine.

That'ss how we broaden as people, and become more than an accidental blip in a chaotic universe.
 Dan198508
Msg: 175
Posted: 12/1/2014 12:55:32 PM

interesting... an atheist who quotes scripture. Can't say Ii have stumbled on that before.

Sister is challenging me saying that, I am an atheist and I know my Bible, how? Sister, imagine you are writing an exam for 4 hours and at the end, the teacher takes your copy and writes an F on it saying "I don't believe you can pass". Would you get mad or not? He did not bother reading what you wrote down, and he fails you. How?

How can an atheist be a true atheist if he/she never read and understood the Bible? How can you not believe in something you never read? Based on what? Word of mouth? Social bias? :)

I THINK maybe the issue? Is you are trying to strip to quantifiable scientific methodology factors that are NOT all quantifiable.

I think it's perfectly quantifiable, every dopamine molecule coming out of an axon terminal contributes to a feeling of well being so you can count them also! 1,2,3,4...10^8 molecules. Very easy in theory, in practice, we don't have the technology yet.

You want that all to be biological and chemical elements, but in human behavior, it can't be. There is neurology. There is psychology. There is learned responses to traumatic events. There is sometimes almost a brainwashing... you can't exclude those factors as unimportant. Many times human ailments are pspychologically based. And if a medical doctor is ONLY looking for a scientific reasoning or a biological reasoning for the illness and completely disregards the life situation, stresses and conditions of the patient, they may full well miss entirely the entire cause of the breakdown. [...]

I never claimed the brain was simple, it is the most complex machine on Earth. Never claimed such a thing. Behavior is another chemical reaction/interaction between neurons, much more complex.

And while you say sensualism is good and emotions are bad? I say both are amazing. I live in Minnesota in the winter so it can get ridiculously cold. But when spring hits; it is like you ahve died and gone to heaven. It is AMAZING.

Being able to not only feel warm oil or warm sun on your face while a cool breeze hites you, but have the emotional resonance to ENJOY that sensual experience... to have not only the auditory appreciation of a song but to have the emotional connection to it; it makes you feel passion, it makes you feel sadness, it makes you feel love, it makes ou remember a time associated with that song that bring those memories and emotions back.

You are confusing emotions with sensations. I challenge you to produce proof that during those good moments, your dopamine isn't rising, so that your feeling of well being is solely attribuable to amygdala activity.

Letting onesself feel as well as be able to taste, touch,

You are talking about sensations. Taste is a sensation, when the taste is good, dopamine is increased.
 moonbeamlover
Msg: 176
Posted: 12/1/2014 2:47:25 PM

Sister is challenging me saying that, I am an atheist and I know my Bible, how? Sister, imagine you are writing an exam for 4 hours and at the end, the teacher takes your copy and writes an F on it saying "I don't believe you can pass". Would you get mad or not? He did not bother reading what you wrote down, and he fails you. How?

How can an atheist be a true atheist if he/she never read and understood the Bible? How can you not believe in something you never read? Based on what? Word of mouth? Social bias? :)

Brother doesn't maybe know I know judaism very well in spite of the fact I'm not Jewish; I know many agnostics that study religion though they believe in none of them, I totally believe you probably have read plenty; though the fact you bother to retain it and quote it as proof while disavowing any belief is unusual. As for professors, I believe that professors can get a power trip. I personally during an ethics class disagreed on every single fundamental issue with the professor; and at the end of the class on my last paper he gave me a huge A++ and said even though he did not agree with a single solitary word I wrote; he read them first the entire semestor because they always challenged him and he always got a huge kick out of seeing the thing through my eyes. Didn't sway him; but he at least was interested.

[I THINK maybe the issue? Is you are trying to strip to quantifiable scientific methodology factors that are NOT all quantifiable.

I think it's perfectly quantifiable, every dopamine molecule coming out of an axon terminal contributes to a feeling of well being so you can count them also! 1,2,3,4...10^8 molecules. Very easy in theory, in practice, we don't have the technology yet.

So because emotions are not scientifically quantifiable to you as opposed to the strictly physiological or neurological responses, therefore emotions are worthless data that are misunderstood? do you know it has also been scientifically proved that bumblebees can't fly? Their wings are too small. Yet they somehow manage to not let them stop them from flying.

You want that all to be biological and chemical elements, but in human behavior, it can't be. There is neurology. There is psychology. There is learned responses to traumatic events. There is sometimes almost a brainwashing... you can't exclude those factors as unimportant. Many times human ailments are pspychologically based. And if a medical doctor is ONLY looking for a scientific reasoning or a biological reasoning for the illness and completely disregards the life situation, stresses and conditions of the patient, they may full well miss entirely the entire cause of the breakdown. [...]

I never claimed the brain was simple, it is the most complex machine on Earth. Never claimed such a thing. Behavior is another chemical reaction/interaction between neurons, much more complex.

You are confusing emotions with sensations. I challenge you to produce proof that during those good moments, your dopamine isn't rising, so that your feeling of well being is solely attribuable to amygdala activity.

But you are picking and choosing from the brain what is worth while and HOW it should specifically be viewed.

if dopamine DOES rise, does that make a person's happiness less happy? If a person's adrenaline is going haywire and the fight or flight going crazy, does that negate the fact they are feeling fear? Emotions are the mental and spiritual connection to the sensations. The beauty of a song is RECOGNIZED as beautiful because of the emotions associated with it. You say you want proof that the activity is not being mistaken for emotion. Why can't it be the other way? Why do you say I need proof that it's not just a neurological reaction and not accept that you also need to prove that the MENTAL associations and spiritual associations that combine with that particular neurological response are more than sensations... they are more than just sensory stimulation. They are a connection and a collaboration of the physical, the neurological, the mental and the spiritual. Emotion is the melding of the body's responses and the soul's "vibe". When a person is sad, WHY are they sad? What is the scientific cause of tears that TOTALLY bypasses emotional pain? How do you prove lack of emotion? What promotes just general well being?
 Bebedeleau
Msg: 177
view profile
History
Posted: 12/1/2014 2:57:55 PM
So well rounded Dan. I figured you stating an atheist was because you DID think about it. All the G*d theology aside, what do you think of spirituality, spiritual experiences, spiritual connections - knowing with other people?
 Dan198508
Msg: 178
Posted: 12/1/2014 4:00:10 PM
The Bible is like any other book I read. You can quote from a book like Shakespeare without thinking the author is God. Just because you liked that passage, and it so happends that I like Matthew 13:13 because it shows Jesus' struggle with stupidity and I find it funny.

So because emotions are not scientifically quantifiable to you as opposed to the strictly physiological or neurological responses, therefore emotions are worthless data that are misunderstood? do you know it has also been scientifically proved that bumblebees can't fly? Their wings are too small. Yet they somehow manage to not let them stop them from flying.

Not emotions in general, I was speaking of empathy in this topic, and not because it's not scientifically quantifiable but because I don't agree with it, it's just my opinion.

The beauty of a song is RECOGNIZED as beautiful because of the emotions associated with it. You say you want proof that the activity is not being mistaken for emotion. Why can't it be the other way? Why do you say I need proof that it's not just a neurological reaction and not accept that you also need to prove that the MENTAL associations and spiritual associations that combine with that particular neurological response are more than sensations... they are more than just sensory stimulation.

I had this survey interviewer job. Calling people on a Sunday, bullying them, guilt-tripping them into taking a survey. It was horrible at first. There was the ego problem. So what do I do, I stop by Wall-Mart, buy x110 4mg nicotine gum. I chew 2mg at a time, when needed WHILE dialing at that job. Nicotine increases dopamine by quite a few.

A month later, I loved everything about the job. The old Compaq computers from 1998 with 8MB of Ram that mortified me at first now became my friends! I had positive emotions about the junk fridge in the cafeteria, the disgusting workplace was now my home. I felt good going to work. Why? Because that shithole was a Mozard symphony? NO! Because I artificially raised my dopamine in that environment, day after day for 30 days, so my brain started creating positive emotions about it, because it associated it with the well-being I felt while chewing the gum.

And if you ask any smoker, what do you like most about smoking? They all answer "the ritual". Why ritual? Because it so happends that their dopamine was increasing WHILE they were performing that ritual, acting as a re-inforcer. Could have been anything. If their dopamine was increasing while carrying out garbage, then they would have associated positive emotions with carrying out garbage.

And depressed people, who have low dopamine and low serotonin and low everything, they associate bad emotions with everything around them and jump off a bridge. So emotions are not the precursors to a dopamine increase, it is the dopamine increase that is a precursor to emotions. Emotions appear, AS A RESULT of that increase, or of course, decrease.

Two people sitting on a sidewalk loking at a car. One is saying the a car's engine is turning thanks to the wheels, the other says the wheels are turning thanks to the engine! Then the car runs out of gas and stops. One is saying the engine stopped because the wheels stopped, other is saying the wheels stopped because the engine stopped.

But, when you know how a car works you know which it is. So know how your brain works and learn the difference :)
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 179
Posted: 12/1/2014 6:35:18 PM

A month later, I loved everything about the job. The old Compaq computers from 1998 with 8MB of Ram that mortified me at first now became my friends! I had positive emotions about the junk fridge in the cafeteria, the disgusting workplace was now my home. I felt good going to work. Why? Because that shithole was a Mozard symphony? NO! Because I artificially raised my dopamine in that environment, day after day for 30 days, so my brain started creating positive emotions about it, because it associated it with the well-being I felt while chewing the gum.

I can see where you're coming from Dan, but even though chemicals are secreted, the chemicals are simply the emissaries of what is going on deeper inside. Again, dude, to the Surgeon, every answer includes a knife.
 NeilMendeza
Msg: 180
Posted: 12/1/2014 7:11:30 PM
Inequality is out of control: Time to Even It Up!: http://youtu.be/2x4jbN6_q5Q
 sigungq
Msg: 181
view profile
History
Posted: 12/2/2014 6:16:09 PM
OP, as a loner, I have no one I need to buy presents for, which also translates into no one to cellibrate the holidays with. Upside and downside I suppose. What I am thankful for, is the nest egg that being a loner has provided me with. It has also provided me with a lifestyle I doubt I would have had I been married with children etc. I am thankful that I will get to retire early, and lead a comfortable retirement with travel and adventure. Most of all, I am thankful for my health.
 Bebedeleau
Msg: 182
view profile
History
Posted: 12/7/2014 10:19:13 PM
Saw this video and thought of this thread. Empathy vs. Sympathy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Evwgu369Jw

And this one about the thought of science being in a box

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0vO5zc73qk

And a little of both

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC7ANGMy0yo
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Can you BE thankful for who/what you've got? 10days to Tday, 40 to Xmas..