Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Creative/Writing  > Wonderfreakingful great quote      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 PragmaticDoc
Msg: 46
Wonderfreakingful great quotePage 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
"You have to know, not fear, but know that one day you are going to die. Until then you are useless ."

I think you guys are misinterepting what he is saying. He was not saying people are useless, Tyler said that until you realize and truly know that your time on the this rock is finite. Then and only then can you set out on your path. The procrastination stops, all those obstacles seem smaller, your place and goals seem clearer and easier to accomplish. Your will and drive become a tool not a distraction.

"On a long enough timeline everyone’s survival rate drops to zero. You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everything else. We are all part of the same compost heap" Tyler Durden
 RandomScause
Msg: 47
Wonderfreakingful great quote
Posted: 9/8/2011 7:31:21 AM
Tyler said that until you realize and truly know that your time on the this rock is finite.

I am not sure if Tyler said that. That's arguable from how he said it, and it's your interpretation against mine. You may be misunderstanding him, because his words gave two equally acceptable meanings.

And how do you know he was right if you take his interpretation? Is a person's life really useless, before he realizes that he will die and will his life gain usefulness really only after he realizes he will die?

this is purely not sustainable a proposition. The other way of interpreting has some value in it, at least some, and that is humour, the fact that it was funny. Your way of interpretation has no value in it whatsoever. i say that because the statement is unsustainable for lack of evidence of any kind. No value.

That's A. B. is, if a statement is completely and unassailably ambiguous, please don't assume that others must believe that your interpretation is superior.

If the writer himself wanted to make sure that mine or your interpretation is right, he would have put it that way. he is a writer, remember? A man of words? He knows when he is ambiguous. He, as a writer does it for a reason.
 RandomScause
Msg: 48
Posted: 9/8/2011 7:45:57 AM
++++" Then and only then can you set out on your path. The procrastination stops, all those obstacles seem smaller, your place and goals seem clearer and easier to accomplish. Your will and drive become a tool not a distraction."++++

I understand you offered this as a supportive evidence that life is useless before one realizes he will eventually die, and his life will become useful when knows finally that he will die.

I was on a path of some sort before I knew I was going to die, and on a path after I learned. There is no difference here.

The procrastination stops? No. I still procrastinate. No procrastination stopped only because I was aware I will die.

Obstacles seem smaller? Again, no. Obstacles seem as big as they are. Once you look at them.

My will and drive will become a tool and not an a distraction? This is so wrong on so many levels of philosophical and pragmatic considerations, that I can't even begin to tell you. Especially if you view it in light of "before" and "after" the realization that you would die.

-----

This is what I meant to say when I said supportive evidence is completely missing to substantiate that your interpretation on the usefulness of life starts at the moment of realizing you will die, as defined by the author.

Yes, substantiation was given, but the substantiation was false. Not one item in the substantiation was true, and some of it did not even make sense.

-----

What philosophers know is that Eastern philosophers say aphorisms, and leave it to the student to work out why they are true. Western philosophers substantiate their statements or postulates with facts, and then bring the facts together to show that their postulates are necessarily true. No need to think by the reader.

This produces large tomes of dry reading material by Western philosophers, and light, insightful-sounding, wise-sounding poetic utterances by Eastern philosophers.

A student of Western philosophy will strive to refute the facts' validity or the logic in a treatise; that's what he learns to do in philosophy school. A student of Eastern philosophy will strive to prove, mainly by mental examples and by imagining mood-like states, the validity of aphorisms and quizzical statements of his or her master.

Your writer, Tyler, seems to be a man who subsrcribes to the Eastern type schools of philosophy. I am a western type. You prefer to be an Eastern type student of philosophy, I prefer to be a Western type.
 professorjjd
Msg: 49
Posted: 9/8/2011 4:39:47 PM
Actually, tyler durden is NOT a writer, but a figment of edward nortons imagination in "fight club".. "Only when you lose everything, are you free to do anything"! Much better quote from tyler durden here..Good philosophy
 PragmaticDoc
Msg: 50
Posted: 9/8/2011 6:13:43 PM
Actually Tyler Durden is a character in a BOOK that was turned into a movie 3 years later. And he was not a figment of Ed Norton imagination he was one of his personalities. Jack, the character Ed norton played, had mulitple personality disorder. If you have only watched the movie and never read the book then you have truly missed out on one of the most orginal books you will ever read.

And Random I don't pretend that the way I interpt something and what it means and how it motivates me has any involvement with anything or anyone but me. To breakdown what I said and try to analyze it as to how it would regard to yours or anyone else's life does not is a fruitless endeavor similiar to changing a light bulb in a house with no electricity. I spoke only on how those things effect my personal enlightment. I live in no one else's head so i make no assumptions as to what something means to them.
 foffeefifo
Msg: 51
Posted: 9/18/2011 6:49:47 PM
"Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand."
--Mark Twain

most cherished of all my friends are the ones who can make me laugh when i wanted to cry, who can force a smile out of me when i was in the middle of a raging fury.... i love laughing, it somehow clears out the garbage of tension and stress, it is a body's purest form of poetry. better yet are the people who can laugh at themselves, who aren't afraid to, who have a true sense of the absurdity of whole sale concrete beliefs that are sacrosanct manifestos that boot heel over everyone elses beliefs, they have an easy grace with mistakes and a generosity of heart that always goes beyond the ordinary. i have no use for the sarcastic guy who has to elicit a bitter laugh, a finger-pointing acid test just to prove he is somehow smarter, cooler, sharper than you. i don't allow caustic people into my life any longer, the ones who have to prove something, the ones who are so sure of everything.
 foffeefifo
Msg: 52
Posted: 9/23/2011 6:24:03 PM
“Most people are on the world, not in it - having no conscious sympathy or relationship to anything about them - undiffused, separate, and rigidly alone like marbles of polished stone, touching but separate.” John Muir

I love this quote, it is my personal mantra, i make sure every day that i live my life in such a way that opens me out to the world and people, to be of a right mind that others can see and feel, tap into, react to, feel comfortable in approaching. Alot of it is just smiling first, which isn't hard here. Truly. I moved from the Chicago area where i can safely say i doubt a day went by I didn't get at least one "bird" thrown my way, either in traffic, a parking lot, on a long line, there was such a stress level, an uptight feeling EVERYWHERE. You pass a thousand people in one day and never make eye contact, never say hi, never reach out because I think mostly the pace of life just doesn't allow for the quieter moment, or even the polite moment. My first day here on the eastern shore, I was so overwhelmed by the FRIENDLINESS here, the open and warm greetings of every single person that passed me by. I was walking down a street, looking for a real estate office recommended to me, and not only were pedestrians smiling and saying hi, but people would drive by in cars and wave and smile. HUH? Not only that, but when you are driving down the road here, the approaching car pulls by, and that complete stranger who doesn't know you from Adam smiles and waves as they pass you by going in the opposite direction. AMAZING!!!!!! Never in a million years living in or near Chicago would a complete stranger wave and smile at me from an approaching vehicle, just wouldn't come to anyone's mind. I sure never did....down here it is just customary, it is normal, it is "neighborly". No way do you feel like you aren't part of something larger here, a community, a brotherhood of man, you feel closer to harmony and just plain sincere kindness. It's hard living out here, there's not much to do, there's not much to see, but there is a sweetness, a slow, steady grace and truly, what more do i need at my age? not much really. this is heaven on earth.

THAT BEING SAID:

i suppose i'm supposed to know what that last post above referred to, but i don't and it's against forum rules to post random junk on a thread that has nothing to do with the thread topic ( four play???? oh yeah, well. like i've always said, spelling does count)
which i think needs to be CLARIFIED.

I welcome people adding quotes to the thread but they are supposed to follow up with why the quote has meaning for them either in the past, or now and to give reasons WHY.

from the original post on this thread:
{you can follow up on what resonated to you about that, what from your own experience makes that so powerful and meaningful for you... or you can also post quotes that did the same to you and WHY. That's the important thing, make it personal, share with us why you so love it and if it really really changed you or your patterns of belief}

it's just a way for some to come here and get out thoughts in a stream of consciousness type of spilling out. If you don't care to share personal thoughts then this isn't the forum thread for you. i do my best to just spill out what is happening to me, i'm not the greatest writer, but it helps me get through the sturm und drang of my existence. I find great solace in the quotes i have spread out all over my house, on cupboard doors, refrigerator, in margins of books, notebooks, scraps of paper, bathroom mirror. I personally find them to be welcome road maps and reminders of who i want to be, where i want to go, what i think is most important about being human.
 foffeefifo
Msg: 53
Posted: 9/24/2011 6:54:30 PM
a vapid overly dependent moron. did i fill the blanks required? here endeth the lesson.
 foffeefifo
Msg: 54
Posted: 9/24/2011 7:01:18 PM
if there are other morons out there stupider than me, that means this thread is now closed.

lol.....

and the beat goes on.............................................................

and on

just not idiotically publicly

The Cat and the fiddle, The Cow jumped over the moon, The Bacon laughed to see such sport, doubled over on the floor laughing her ass off, cackling with glee, And the Dish ran away with the Spoon
 foffeefifo
Msg: 55
Posted: 9/24/2011 9:04:56 PM
no!!!
Really????

LOL, LOL, LOL.... please don't go, i think you do the world a lot of good, cleaning us sad deluded pathetic idiots from the face of earth....and anyway, erasing your pithy NEW profile will only prove without a doubt you came here with an axe to grind because your superior intellect needs to slice and dice, carve and excoriate the ones deemed inferior to your sensibilities. no. DO NOT GO.... oh, but wait.... you will be here after all, won't you under your REAL profile. I may be a pathetic old woman you can laugh at and deride, but what does that make a person who can't show up under their real profile???? hmmmmm, i can think of a word, or two, or three..... us morons are such simple thinkers.

this OP still stands on the truth He so unkindly stated. I'm like that. THREAD CLOSED.
 PosterChild4Ugly
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 3/24/2012 9:22:55 AM
Mans’ conjured malfeasance, can only take root when irrigated by impotent complacency – j. hogan clark
 PosterChild4Ugly
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 3/24/2012 9:23:55 AM
"Forgiveness is: The perfume a flower leaves on the shoe that crushed it" - unknown
 wildandfreee
Msg: 58
Posted: 4/7/2012 2:49:19 AM
Love sought is good but given unsought is better ~
forgot the author :)
Show ALL Forums  > Creative/Writing  > Wonderfreakingful great quote