Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > texting vs. calling      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 albinosquirlz
Msg: 69
view profile
History
texting vs. callingPage 4 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)

I dated this one person for a couple of weeks. .and I really wished it would have worked out.

Good for you sister!!!

If only more people would dump people for texting, we'd have this foul habit licked in no time!!!!

Personally, I'd like to tazer someone every time they texted...but something tells me most people would consider that excessive.
 albinosquirlz
Msg: 70
view profile
History
texting vs. calling
Posted: 5/1/2011 9:45:02 AM

Not everyone has the lifestyle and employment cercumstances that fit into the normal box and demanding that the world attend to your rules because you make that kind of assumption just means that you may miss out on someone who can't play accordingly.

I make no demands on anyone, and the only person the rule applies to...is me. "I" don't communicate via text. The "world" can do whatever it pleases.

Isn't it funny though, with texting being barely a few years old, is now being argued as the only viable option to communicate? Right...pull this leg and it plays Jingle Bells.
 Maleman999
Msg: 71
texting vs. calling
Posted: 5/1/2011 10:16:05 AM
I've lost count on how many times, while driving, I've almost run over a stupid moron who's totally focused on texting while crossing the street without paying any attention to traffic and has stepped into the path of traffic. It's usually teenagers who have the "I am immortal and more important than you" attitude. I thought people were taught as toddlers, to look both ways before they cross the street. I guess that rule has been revised to say that if you're too busy texting, don't bother looking for on coming traffic when stepping out onto the road. Your useless 100th text of the day is more important than your life. I'm convinced that the electromagnetic field on these devices are killing people's brain cells and making people totally retarded. Even when I honk the horn when they step into the path of my car, they just glance up for a millisecond, and continue walking while staring at their screen.

There should be a law banning anyone under 18 from owning a cell device, and must pass an IQ test before getting a license to text.
 jpwrnglrwmn_forumsonly
Msg: 72
texting vs. calling
Posted: 5/1/2011 7:44:18 PM
I realize that not everyone has the same schedule, but especially early in the dating stages, isn't it important to get to know someone? We would have these long conversations by text. .I really didn't like it, because my phone isn't text friendly (it's 6 years old, and I don't see the need to upgrade just so I can text with more ease), and frankly, it seemed too distant and impersonal. It's true that nothing comes close to interacting in person, but hearing a voice is the next best thing . Texts can be misinterpreted, and tone can't be translated over text. I could see if we had been dating for awhile, and then we kept in touch by text. He was very unwilling to even compromise . .I thought that if I texted, and said he had a great voice, and I enjoyed listening to it, and would like to hear it more, that would be a hint for him to call me. Well, I thought that if he is unwilling to compromise over such a small thing as texting, that's a red flag for things to come.
 channtheman
Msg: 73
texting vs. calling: a question for 20-somethings
Posted: 5/1/2011 11:14:54 PM
I hate texting and the reason why is what someone mentioned earlier in this thread. The texting generation (mine) are so bad at face to face conversation. They can't hold a conversation or pick up on non verbal cues at all. I go out on dates with girls and their answers to my open ended questions usually end in 1-2 word answers, like a text message! I purposefully answer a question vaguely (rare that they ask a question) and their response is not an obvious follow up question, but rather "sweet" or "nice." Again, just like an answer you would see in a text message.
 albinosquirlz
Msg: 74
view profile
History
texting vs. calling
Posted: 5/1/2011 11:31:56 PM

Well, I thought that if he is unwilling to compromise over such a small thing as texting, that's a red flag for things to come.

It isn't so much that the person is unwilling to compromise on little things...it's the object of his uncompromising behaviour...something idiotic over something more intelligent. It's like someone refusing to eat fabulous home-cooked meals because they prefer to only eat at McDonalds.

These things are lifestyle CHOICES. Yet people act like they have no control over them, or rationalize why it is an "improvement" of their lives.

Nothing "important" ever gets said via text. It is generally preferable to just say nothing than to text, if you simply don't have the energy, time or patience to contact someone using some form of socially acceptable communication.
 albinosquirlz
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 5/1/2011 11:53:31 PM

The texting generation (mine) are so bad at face to face conversation. They can't hold a conversation or pick up on non verbal cues at all.

I sit on the streetcar sometimes and listen to teens/twentysomethings (try) to have a conversation...it's painful.

Remove the soundbites, slang-of-the-month "sayings" and hipster references, and the word "like" (which is every fourth word spoken)...and you are left with essentially nothing. They either aren't really saying anything at all (they might as well just grunt), or are struggling to get an idea across, because they lack the basic ability to verbally articulate their thoughts properly.

And it's not just because they are young and immature...there's something very different about this generation. Don't believe me....listen to kids the same age talking from the 60's. The "hippie" generation may have been a bit wacky, but no matter how stoned they were, they could at least articulate their thoughts quite well. You could tell they were alive and thinking. This generation behave like factory produced zombies, with a little ADD and autism thrown in for good measure.
 happybunny8
Msg: 76
texting vs. calling
Posted: 5/2/2011 5:21:32 AM
I've lost count on how many times, while driving, I've almost run over a stupid moron who's totally focused on texting while crossing the street without paying any attention to traffic and has stepped into the path of traffic. It's usually teenagers who have the "I am immortal and more important than you" attitude.

Actually, I find adults worse because they are older and should know better.

The thing is, I'm more willing to give teens slack because they are still learning and I BLAME THE PARENTS.

You cannot expect behaviour from a child/teen unless the parent has instilled it. Sure, we can expect "do as I say" behaviour from our kids, but there are a ton of behaviours that kids pick up from their elders simply by watching.

More and more adults are becoming entitled and teaching it to their children. It could be urbanization, but why are they letting that fact get in the way of manners and moral responsibility?

Your useless 100th text of the day is more important than your life.

I would rephrase that to your 100th text of the day is more important than being polite or thinking of others.

I know a few teens and young adults who talk just fine and I can sit and have a 4 hour serious discussion with. I spend time with young people. Often those who think negatively about young people do not actually spend any time with them.

I took the bus with my nephew and saw that he put his foot up on the seat. I had a discussion about it with him. Nobody had ever caught him in the act of doing it, so he never realized that it wasn't really a good idea. Now he does.

However, I also have a friend with a 20 year old daughter. The friend puts her feet up on the theatre seats. I find that to be bad manners. It ruins the seat, puts dirt on it, which then when I put my white coat on the seat, gets on my coat. My nephew understood this logic, but the friend didn't.

Some people don't think of others. Plain and simple.

NikonGuy007
Msg: 77
view profile
History
texting vs. calling
Posted: 7/28/2014 5:51:06 PM
I am outside of the demographic, however,

In general, I prefer texting to the telephone. Oddly enough, and I KNOW that I will be the, "lone, torch wielding villager" on this...............I would actually prefer e-mail instead of the telephone (for say, 'catching up' with an acquaintance or distant relative). E-mail is the LEAST intrusive of all. You can send and/or respond, completely at YOUR leisure. Crazy, right?.....................Until, you remember, it wasn't all that long ago (back when literacy was something to be proud of in America), where people actually sat down and wrote letters. I know, YIKES! That's like, extending effort, and sounds like work and stuff. Can't have that.

I agree 631% with the earlier poster who believes that people 'play' with their phones, out of boredom, awkwardness, trying to look 'cool', trying to look important, showing off the latest & greatest 'Acme 5000a', etc. We're rapidly getting to the point (perhaps we're well past it), where most people can't stand to be alone with themselves for 30 seconds.

MY 2 major issues with the telephone are:

1) I end up resenting being on the telephone, because too few people are capable of having a (2-way) "conversation". I find that a lot of people want to launch into a monologue and/or want me to play, "camp counselor". People will call me, we'll be on the phone for 2 hours, and an hour and fifty minutes of it, is all about THEM (and their problems, issues, illnesses, successes, relationships, jobs, etc. etc.)

2) It's like a d@mn job to get some callers OFF the phone. You could be like, "Gotta' go. My place is ON FIRE!", and they'd be like, "O.K.....................blah, blah, blah." Ironically, in my life, I have found men to be worse than women, when it comes to this.

I KNOW that I am not the only one here, who breathes a sigh of relief when they call someone OR return a call, and end up hearing the recipient's voicemail greeting? That phone is ringing and ringing................and you're thinking, "PUHLEEEEEZE let it go to voicemail."

Hey, DON'T judge me! LOL!
 south_city
Msg: 78
texting vs. calling
Posted: 7/28/2014 7:40:11 PM
I'm not a huge phone person. I don't mind having a 15 minute phone conversation with someone. But I don't like having long phone conversations. Unless we are talking about something that is important.
 ClooneysTutor
Msg: 79
texting vs. calling
Posted: 7/28/2014 8:04:11 PM
Texting.

The good - Easy to fire off a message and respond when it's convenient at work, when a phone call isn't advisable.

The bad - Many misunderstandings can result. If the frequency or time to respond decreases, someone may perceive this as a lack of interest. Also, having deep conversations is risky indeed and can lead to a major blowout.

I would say, all in all, I like it, but the bad is just as probable as the good.

I would try and limit meaningful conversations to phone calls.
 RedrockJen
Msg: 80
texting vs. calling
Posted: 7/28/2014 8:27:19 PM

I would actually prefer e-mail instead of the telephone (for say, 'catching up' with an acquaintance or distant relative). E-mail is the LEAST intrusive of all. You can send and/or respond, completely at YOUR leisure. Crazy, right?

Not crazy at all. I prefer it as well for the same reasons.

I end up resenting being on the telephone, because too few people are capable of having a (2-way) "conversation". I find that a lot of people want to launch into a monologue and/or want me to play, "camp counselor". People will call me, we'll be on the phone for 2 hours, and an hour and fifty minutes of it, is all about THEM (and their problems, issues, illnesses, successes, relationships, jobs, etc. etc.)

I only talk on the phone to two people: my mother and my son. The rest of my friends I talk to in person or communicate via email. I do text but mostly to send quick 'I love yous' and pics.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 81
texting vs. calling
Posted: 7/28/2014 8:37:20 PM
My profile even contains a section specifically about the topic of texting.
 rockin-trucker82
Msg: 82
texting vs. calling
Posted: 7/29/2014 10:17:29 AM
Calling is easier, because you're put on the spot and can't sit there and think about the perfect answer first, and you can say a lot more at a time... But let's be honest, she's not going to answer the phone, so just send a text and she'll get back when talking to you is convenient for her.
 sigungq
Msg: 83
view profile
History
texting vs. calling
Posted: 7/29/2014 1:58:40 PM
Texting vs. calling = telegraph vs. telephone........... Mankind is regressing, not progressing........
 Ainen
Msg: 84
texting vs. calling
Posted: 7/30/2014 7:12:40 AM
Texting has one advantage. You can transmit a text message with a weaker signal than necessary for a voice phone call.

Cell reception is awful at my river home. On the rare occasions I can get a phone ring, the voice cuts out and the call disconnects quickly. Emails transmit every couple hours. A text has a better chance of getting through soon.

Less than two weeks ago I changed cell plans to allow texting at no additional charge. Before I had incoming texts blocked because spammers were sending junk texts costing me 20 cents each. Don't want to pay for "C U L8R" nonsense from acquaintances.

Of course I write texts in proper English.

Met some girls in real life yesterday evening. Gave my # and we exchanged texts last night instead of voice. I wrote that I'd be at the same place the next day. Her text included "... I want be there..." About 15 minutes later she sent another text "won't". The virtual keyboards on "smart" phones make it easy to send wrong words that change meanings.

Online, voice is especially better than text with someone you haven't seen or heard in real life.
 Maleman999
Msg: 85
texting vs. calling
Posted: 7/30/2014 7:28:05 AM

Cell reception is awful at my river home. On the rare occasions I can get a phone ring, the voice cuts out and the call disconnects quickly.

Tip of the day: Do not buy any more phones from the dollar store.
 mermanus
Msg: 86
view profile
History
texting vs. calling
Posted: 7/31/2014 4:27:10 PM
Texting is one of my pet peeves. The last girl I spoke to was more comfortable texting than actually talking on the phone or Skype. I would call her and ask her about certain things pertaining to relationships and she would fidget and start talking to her cat and stuff. But as soon as we got off the phone she would call and start to express herself freely about my questions or any deeper questions she had.

Texting has its place. It's good for notifications and emergencies as well as one-liners and sending photos. Also good for short conversing long distance when a regular phone call might be inappropriate like at work or doctor's office. But it's hard to convey certain emotions with texts. I can't tell you how many times people got offended because they misinterpret the meaning of my texts. And auto-correct is the devil.
 SuperSaiyanGoku
Msg: 87
texting vs. calling
Posted: 8/2/2014 12:54:58 PM
I don't even have texting on my cell phone plan. I HATE it that much. If you can't talk to me over the phone then we won't be talking.
 forumfellathesequel
Msg: 88
texting vs. calling
Posted: 8/2/2014 2:10:45 PM
I think text is great for just starting out, the odd phone call before a meet...and also Skype and FaceTime, too see how many chins the person has or how much hair is up their nose, since that's usually where the camera is facing.
 Ladyinred4755
Msg: 89
texting vs. calling
Posted: 8/2/2014 7:38:01 PM
I'm with Eric on this one. I have included info in my profile pertaining to texting,
And I read ya loud and clear, mermanus. In spite of making myself very clear about the use of texting, I still have those who will text me, "So tell me all about yourself." Here ya go. ICHA FCWT, GI?

I do have friends that send short info messages with texting and every once in a while my son/daughter-in-law will ask a quick question with text. Every Sunday evening I TALK on the phone to my son. He and his family live 7 hours away in Pittsburgh.
So yes a LITTLE texting is OK. Anything more than that drives me nuts!
 eklektika
Msg: 90
texting vs. calling
Posted: 8/11/2014 8:36:59 AM
I like texting because I can reply to it when I have the time, if I'm busy it can wait. Also I am terribly shy as well and it gives me kind of a false confidence, and those silent moments when no one knows what to say are less awkward. But if I know it will be a long conversation I will save my fingers and just call.
 believeinlove2day
Msg: 91
Posted: 8/13/2014 1:18:41 PM
Hello find it very interesting to read peoples posts on how they feel about texting vs calling. I can appreciate the latest technology and it seems as if everybody likes to text instead of calling. I guess I have found with texting in my experience that it seems as if it is a way that people avoid real connection and intimacy with people. It is sad to have to say this but I have found that texting is a way that players can continue to do what they can by texting different woman, not been honest and never really having to be available. Someone who said that I was very important to them ended up texting me goodbye instead of in person and then he came back into my life saying he missed me, wanted to have time for me but found out at the end that he had already found the right lady, was a player all the time and of course was not available to talk on the phone but he could text me lies and then block me. I also find that people choose to deal with personal issues by texting rather than talking on the phone or getting together in person. I think texting is great if you are wanting to say hi and letting the other person know that you miss them and looking forward to talking with them later. Of course I have seen texting used by men to pretend that they really like me, say all the right words but I find their actions fall short of what they say in their texts to me. I do like to text my friend saying I am thinking of them but I do not use texting as a form of deception or lying to others. I apologize for my blog sounding negative but I have had texting used in ways to try and play me, manipulate me and hurt me. I am very shocked at 49 years old the dishonesty that goes on online and through texting. Ladies we can be very vulnerable to texts because we want to hear all the right words, want to believe them and believe that the guy really cares. Protect and guard your heart and I say actions speak louder than words.
Laura
 believeinlove2day
Msg: 92
Posted: 8/13/2014 1:19:35 PM
Hello find it very interesting to read peoples posts on how they feel about texting vs calling. I can appreciate the latest technology and it seems as if everybody likes to text instead of calling. I guess I have found with texting in my experience that it seems as if it is a way that people avoid real connection and intimacy with people. It is sad to have to say this but I have found that texting is a way that players can continue to do what they can by texting different woman, not been honest and never really having to be available. Someone who said that I was very important to them ended up texting me goodbye instead of in person and then he came back into my life saying he missed me, wanted to have time for me but found out at the end that he had already found the right lady, was a player all the time and of course was not available to talk on the phone but he could text me lies and then block me. I also find that people choose to deal with personal issues by texting rather than talking on the phone or getting together in person. I think texting is great if you are wanting to say hi and letting the other person know that you miss them and looking forward to talking with them later. Of course I have seen texting used by men to pretend that they really like me, say all the right words but I find their actions fall short of what they say in their texts to me. I do like to text my friend saying I am thinking of them but I do not use texting as a form of deception or lying to others. I apologize for my blog sounding negative but I have had texting used in ways to try and play me, manipulate me and hurt me. I am very shocked at 49 years old the dishonesty that goes on online and through texting. Ladies we can be very vulnerable to texts because we want to hear all the right words, want to believe them and believe that the guy really cares. Protect and guard your heart and I say actions speak louder than words.
Laura
 gingham7
Msg: 93
Posted: 8/16/2014 4:28:27 PM
It depends on the situation. Calling is better when it is important or urgent. Texting is better when it is a brief conversation or you know the other person won't be immediately be able to answer the phone. That person can respond at their earliest convenience.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > texting vs. calling