Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Bristol Palin, Advocate to Prevent Teen Pregnancy      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 daynadaze
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Bristol Palin, Advocate to Prevent Teen PregnancyPage 3 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
I know full well when I was a teenager I would have been stupid enough to see Palin's pregnancy and then the money rolling in, as a way to structure my life so I could get all that fame & fortune. Kids are not usually very bright when it comes to risky behavior and what it really means when you have sex with some boy and have a baby and just how depressing, hard, and unstable that life will really be. It isn't so much what Palin did to her life, after all she has support and money, it's what she's doing to her child's life. He doesn't have much of a chance to not be damaged by all that is totally public about his ridiculous parents, and grandparents. More should be taught to teens about not just ruining their lives, but what happens to these babies they have in the middle of teenage angst.

No, as a kid, Bristol would only have confirmed for me that getting a guy and having a baby was a foolproof way to make it in life. I don't find her to be a good advocate at all. Not only that, but read and listen to her, she's a mess still. But I see that as an adult, it would have went right over my head as a kid, I would have thought she had it all, except for not getting to keep the guy.
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Bristol Palin, Advocate to Prevent Teen Pregnancy
Posted: 7/22/2011 10:51:36 AM
I would rather see the girl next door, the one that has no money, no healthcare, no family support, can't continue her education, lives on welfare or food stamps, has no nanny or daycare, can't get a job, etc. be the spokesperson for teen pregnancy.

That would be great, except for one thing. Unless you are famous (or infamous, which may be apropo under the circumstances) most of the fickle people in society could care less about your opinion.

Bristol Palin is being raked over the coals because of who her mother is, no other reason. She is not her mother, but those people (the supposedly loving caring libs) hate her mother so bad that they will go after anyone in her family, including a baby with down's syndrome refuse to believe that.

The silver spoon fed crowd doesn't know how tough it really is out in the real world.

But the libs gobble it up when those silver spooners that are on their side open their big mouths. They have a right to an opinion, and have a right to advocate for things, but if someone from the right tries to do so....they need to STFU.
 totalazzhole
Msg: 53
Posted: 7/22/2011 11:04:50 AM

Bristol Palin is being raked over the coals because of who her mother is, no other reason. She is not her mother, but those people (the supposedly loving caring libs) hate her mother so bad that they will go after anyone in her family, including a baby with down's syndrome refuse to believe that.

a lot of truth there..it's sad to see the hate lurking in so many people.

perhaps the green monster of envy as well-- becasue Sarah & her family have done fairly well financially, they are to be hated and denigrated.

odd how so many WOMEN hate /denigrate Sarah Palin, a "sister" who has done what the 'equality'libber' women suppsoedly want women to do, become chief executive of a state (governor) etc. and go for the brass ring of the White HOuse, tohugh she has (and will likely continue o ) fail at that.

ahh but I guess because Sarah will not become their lap-dog and say wah thtey want her to say they must hate her

even if you have to 'hate' the mother, why the daughter too?

visit the 'sins of the fathers' upon the offspring?
 totalazzhole
Msg: 54
Posted: 7/22/2011 11:13:11 AM
hm, not sure why it is SO strange for a preganant teen to advocate against gettign pregnant..

Aren't some of the best & most effective anti-drug counsellors recovering or former addicts themselves?
 Welsh474
Msg: 55
Posted: 7/22/2011 11:54:06 AM
If her mother weren't "famous", Bristol would be just another stupid teenager that made dumb mistakes. She is no different than any other stupid teenager out there and it doesn't matter if she's a democrat or a republican or a member of the communist party. Because of her family circumstances, she still doesn't have a clue as to how to make it in the big world like an average/below average teenager does.

As for politicians, when you trot out the "perfect" family - complete with "look at me, I'm raising a disabled child", you open yourself up to higher standards and critical remarks. If this was one of Obama's daughters or Bill Clinton's daughter you bet the republicans and teabaggers would be all over this.

Bristol Palin is making money off of this, making money just for the fact she is a Palin and also because she is raising a child on her own - she doesn't seem to have any talent, has proven herself in any career path, she isn't even a good speaker - even the Hilton sisters have jobs.
 Welsh474
Msg: 56
Posted: 7/22/2011 12:32:01 PM
I agree with one thing, fund sex education, give out free condoms, give out birth control information and birth control free, don't restrict adoption or abortion information and funding. We all know abstaining doesn't work, you know it, I know it and the 15 year old know it.

So what words of wisdom can Bristol Palin give - "yes, I'm a single teen mother just like you - no, I don't have to worry like you about daycare, I don't have to worry like you about feeding my child, I don't have to worry like you about healthcare for my child, I don't have to worry like you about a roof over my head, I don't have to worry like you about being kicked out of my home with no support from family, I don't have to worry like you about not continueing my education, but hey - I'm just like you"." What a f'ing crock.

Palin trotted out her family, put them on stage for all the world to see. She isn't the brightest bulb in the box but we all got to see and hear her - now we're not allowed to pass judgment. That's not how it works. We're all judged.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 57
Posted: 7/22/2011 12:32:37 PM
Bristol Palin didn't have any say in being thrust into the spotlight initially, but her actions since then have clearly been to capitalize on her celebrity status. How many teen moms get offered 200k plus to talk about abstinence? She went on Dancing With the Stars, for crying out loud - that's all about marginal celebrities trying desperately to get a bit of attention.

She has willingly put herself on display.
 matchlight
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2011 12:57:27 PM
I don't know how much of a thinker Bristol Palin is, but her experience seems to give her credibility as a campaigner against teen pregnancy. Her mother is a natural political leader who is far more clever and competent than her detractors imagine. I hope they keep underestimating her, because it works to her advantage. She's just as intelligent, in her own way, as Michelle Bachmann, Ann Coulter, or S.E. Cupp.

the f'ing failed theocratic teabagger taliban BS

As a constitutional conservative who loves liberty, I always like to see such thoughtful, fair-minded analysis by people who don't share my views.
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2011 1:57:53 PM

This is almost complete fabrication. The billboards with Obama's children were not put up by their parents. Sarah Palin has promoted her daughter (the subject of the thread) being a public figure. If she really wanted to, she could have kept the situation and her family life more private, but she has taken the opposite route.

It isn't fabrication because it is the truth. But the differing fact that it was her parents that did the promoting still doesn't give people the right to give her (Bristol) the massive amount of shite they have. She may well fall flat on her face as an advocate of anything, but she should at least be given the chance to do so because of her own mistakes, not those of her parents. Like the Dancing with the Stars thing.....she supposedly couldn't dance either, yet came in third (I didn't watch it so I couldn't really tell ya!). I guess mommy arranged that too?

GW Bush is the worst president the US ever had bar none. He is rated that way by historians.

Yeah, probably by the the same ones who think Carter was just a whizz-bang leader.
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 60
Posted: 7/22/2011 2:56:17 PM
Aren't some of the best & most effective anti-drug counsellors recovering or former addicts themselves?

So are you saying that Charlie Sheen would make a good drug counselor?

The bottom line is: Abstinence only education is an epic failure, regardless what twit is pushing it.

Ergo pushing abstinence only education makes you and idiot, regardless who your mom is.

I don't know how much of a thinker Bristol Palin is, but her experience seems to give her credibility as a campaigner against teen pregnancy....

Her only experience is in getting pregnant.

...Her mother is a natural political leader who is far more clever and competent than her detractors imagine....

I can only assume you have not bother to look at her political record.

...She's just as intelligent, in her own way, as Michelle Bachmann, Ann Coulter, or S.E. Cupp.

Intelligent in her own way = Smart enough to use their looks to cover up their incompetence.
 Welsh474
Msg: 61
Posted: 7/22/2011 3:06:26 PM
It wouldn't take much to be smarter than Coulter or Palin. And no, I don't think all republican women are stupid, there are some bright ones out there, just not these two. And really, in this discussion it shouldn't matter what political party someone belongs to, teen pregnancy is rampant in both camps.

Thing is, it's hard to take advice from the poor little rich kid. Folks say the same sort of things about Paris Hilton, the Bush twins, Chelsea Clinton, etc. Folks in the public eye take a shyt kicking no matter what they do. Some just handle it better than others. Hell, look at the Kennedys and the crap they've been in, the good deeds they've done and the bashing from the general public - some deserved, some not.

Bristol Palin is not the poster child for teen pregnancy - not unless you're rich, white and in the political realm with no talent (as yet). Give her some experience, some education and who knows what she could do. But right now she doesn't deserve to be put on any pedestal.
 matchlight
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2011 3:31:38 PM
^^^^If there's one thing Ann is not, it's dumb. She didn't get through Michigan Law School and into a high-end law firm because of her figure and her long blonde hair. I don't know if I've ever heard anyone faster on their feet in a debate. Sarah Palin has the kind of intelligence great politicians like FDR and Ronald Reagan had. It involves criticizing your opponents' ideas and presenting your own forcefully, while staying likable.

Her biggest weakness, in contrast with Reagan, is that so far, at least, she doesn't have anything like his deep understanding of conservative principles. The fact leftists detest her probably helps her, because they seldom decide American presidential elections. Among conservatives and independents, both men and women, she has a lot of appeal.
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 63
Posted: 7/22/2011 3:37:25 PM

..If there's one thing Ann is not, it's dumb....

Maybe be true, but still does not change the fact she is a Sexist, Racist, White Supremacist Bigot.

Which is why people of all political affiliations dislike her and ones like her, Palin and Bachman included.

They all spew vitriol and are able to make a living being professional victims.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 64
Posted: 7/22/2011 5:54:13 PM
Bristol Palin is making the media rounds to promote her new book, Not Afraid of Life: My Journey So Far. Yes, Bristol Palin seriously has a memoir.

Today on The View, she was greeted by Barbara Walters and some surprisingly tough questions about Levi Johnston, her sex life and her morals.

It was kind of awkward for Bristol and viewers alike.

Bristol Palin on The View

In response to Palin's claim that Levi stole her virginity when he pitched a tent - in more ways than one!! - that night in Alaska, Walters asked:

"It must have been okay, because you kept on having sex with him, yeah?"

Cringe.

Bristol Palin smiled and responded "We did it that one night and I just figured it's okay to do it again because I'd already broken my moral code."

Using that logic, Casey Anthony might as well have another baby and kill her too, because a moral code is a one-shot deal. Sorry, moving on.

Bristol also said she was on birth control at the time she got pregnant, but it wasn't used effectively. By effectively, she probably means at all.

Okay, now that images of a nude Levi Johnston and Bristol Palin fornicating have been burned into your brain, let's talk about something else.

http://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/stars/bristol-palin/

Bristol Palin got drunk and had sex...and now has a child...as she roles from boy friend to boy friend....sounds like upscale trailer trash to me.

Sarah Palin has the kind of intelligence great politicians like FDR and Ronald Reagan had. It involves criticizing your opponents' ideas and presenting your own forcefully, while staying likable.

Her biggest weakness, in contrast with Reagan, is that so far, at least, she doesn't have anything like his deep understanding of conservative principles. The fact leftists detest her probably helps her, because they seldom decide American presidential elections. Among conservatives and independents, both men and women, she has a lot of appeal.

Gag...Sarah Palin and FDR names used in the same sentence...must be a body rolling in a grave in Arlington...

Seems even the republicans don't think much of Palin:

A new CBS News poll finds that a large majority of Americans say they do not want former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin to run for president.

Specifically, 71 percent say they do not want the former Republican vice presidential nominee to run for president, while 21 percent say they do want her to run.

When the results are split out by party, 56 percent of Republicans say they do not want her to seek the office and 30 percent do. Meanwhile, 88 percent of Democrats do not want her to run. Among independents, 65 percent do not want her to run and 25 percent do.

The poll also finds that more people view Palin negatively than positively and that her book tour did not improve overall views of her. However, she is a little better-known now than she was last fall, and both favorable and unfavorable ratings of her have increased slightly.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-6113291-503544.html

Welsh474
Msg: 65
Posted: 7/22/2011 8:08:12 PM
If Bristol Palin is going on a book tour, she is opening herself up to some tough questions. I don't think Barbara Walters would treat anyone else any different, at least I hope not. If you're in the public eye, agree to the interviews - you answer the questions. I saw her on Dr. Drew the other night and he was asking "light" questions, I expect more from Barbara Walters or someone of her calibre to ask the tough questions. If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

As for Matchlight's statement about Ann Coulter and being intelligent, going to law school, hired by a big firm - we both know how this all works at times. Besides, she gets her facts wrong, doesn't like to be corrected and won't admit she screwed up and just bulldozes over everyone with her big, loud mouth. It shows character if you can admit your mistakes, apologize and move on.

The Palin children were thrown into the ring as are all children of politicians. They don't ask for it and for the most part I feel for them. They get the fallout from their parent's actions. They somehow have to find their own path. I'd have a little more respect for Bristol Palin if she'd continue her education and start a life for herself and her child on her own merit. This is a role model, walking on your own two feet.
 RichenLosAngeles
Msg: 66
Posted: 7/22/2011 8:11:50 PM
So Velma, who do you suggest to be that spokesperson? Someone more mature.
Octomom, perhaps?
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2011 8:55:30 PM
If Bristol Palin is going on a book tour, she is opening herself up to some tough questions. I don't think Barbara Walters would treat anyone else any different, at least I hope not. If you're in the public eye, agree to the interviews - you answer the questions. I saw her on Dr. Drew the other night and he was asking "light" questions, I expect more from Barbara Walters or someone of her calibre to ask the tough questions. If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

You donb't think Baba Wawa would tret anyone else differently? Watch her interview someone on her side of the fence (liberal) sometime. She almost foams at the mouth in awe of being in the same room with them. Watch all those lib women (women used loosely) on the view. They are the same way. Awe and almost bowing down to fellow libs, anger and disdain for anyone who is otherwise. She is one of the most obvious of the partisan interviewers out there. Bob Scheffer comes a close second.

As for Matchlight's statement about Ann Coulter and being intelligent, going to law school, hired by a big firm - we both know how this all works at times. Besides, she gets her facts wrong, doesn't like to be corrected and won't admit she screwed up and just bulldozes over everyone with her big, loud mouth. It shows character if you can admit your mistakes, apologize and move on.

Hmmmm, I won't argue with you there, as long as you won't argue that the man in charge of our country right now is exactly the same.

The Palin children were thrown into the ring as are all children of politicians.

Except, strangely Obama's kids........hmmmm again........

They don't ask for it and for the most part I feel for them. They get the fallout from their parent's actions.

In this case, only because they get it handed to them from those oh so caring, bleeding heart libs......

They somehow have to find their own path.

But yet they can't because no one will let them live their parents down.

I'd have a little more respect for Bristol Palin if she'd continue her education and start a life for herself and her child on her own merit.

If she does that she will be accused yet again of child neglect, as she is now.

This is a role model, walking on your own two feet.

I don't think she has to be a role model, and hope she won't be. The deal is done. But she went though the same pain having the baby, and the same emotional roller coaster with the father, and the same problems, even though some are not as big since she has a few bucks. But if her story helps a few girls out, what is the big deal. She really doesn't have to do it at all. At least give her credit for trying to do a good thing instead of ripping her to shreds. I guess you think one of those girls on Maury who is trying to figure which of the 14 gansta wanna-bes she got gangbanged by is the baby daddy would be a great role model for teenagers.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 68
Posted: 7/23/2011 9:06:28 AM
According to tax documents, Palin soaked up $262,500 in 2009 for campaigning for abstinence; most of the funds came from the Candie’s Foundation.

The next question that has to be asked is whether Palin is an employee or an advocate for the charitable Candie’s Foundation. It’s not often you hear about a charity paying large sums of money to one of its advocates. In fact, and someone please correct me if I’m wrong, but usually, advocates of a charity either raise money or donate money themselves to the charities they represent. Of course, it might raise a few eye brows considering Candie’s paid Bristol almost seven times what they spent on other teen pregnancy prevention programs

http://calvinayre.com/2011/04/06/entertainment/candies-foundation-paysbristol-palin-getting-paid-for-no-sex-campaign/

In light of Bristol Palin's actions...which seem to be in direct conflict to the committment of abstinence...I can, with conviction, say she's a money grubbin' hypocrate.
 Welsh474
Msg: 69
Posted: 7/23/2011 9:39:08 AM
Geez Ready4, don't know why you blasted my last paragraph, we both think the same on this. Leave the kids of politicians alone to make their own way in life. But there will always be those out there that use the family name to get ahead, the Kennedy name comes to mind (and yea, they're liberals).

As for the other shyt, well, so you don't like interviewers - especially liberal ones. Many of us don't like interviewers that support the republicans - can't please them all, you're going to be on one side or the other. And you missed my point with Matchlight regarding lawyers.

And I don't want someone from the Maury show as a spokesperson either. This show seems to drag up the trailer trash from all over the country - but maybe the Palins just have a more expensive trailer (just thought I'd get that shot in).
 RichenLosAngeles
Msg: 70
Posted: 7/23/2011 11:26:05 AM
Bristol Palin will never be accepted by the Dems, we get it.
How about Mary Jo Kopechne? She has all the best connections.
Personally, I would like to be as big of a failure as GW Bush. Born into a powerful family, flew supersonic fighter planes, owned a major league baseball team, married a great woman, has beautiful kids, and was president of our country. I want to fail that badly.
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 7/23/2011 11:43:58 AM
Geez Ready4, don't know why you blasted my last paragraph, we both think the same on this. Leave the kids of politicians alone to make their own way in life. But there will always be those out there that use the family name to get ahead, the Kennedy name comes to mind (and yea, they're liberals).

Didn't mean to blast you, but I do think we disagree on Bristol's motive here. We both agree that she is well off (well, at least her parents are, so I think she is trying to make her own way in this endeavor--however right or wrong she is in doing so) . She is riding on the coattails of oppurtunity given to her by her mom, but as it's been said many times in this thread, and one of my points, it's a fact that if she were just another run of the mill teenager in America most people wouldn't give two cents to hear her POV. My other point is, at least she's trying to do something positive & she really doesn't have to. The book deal was on the table anyway, she could have just pounded out her life story and said "whoa is me" for 350+ pages and still gotten paid. They give these book deals to anybody that hits the spotlight--one is in the works for the babykiller who got away with murder as we speak.

As for the other shyt, well, so you don't like interviewers - especially liberal ones. Many of us don't like interviewers that support the republicans - can't please them all, you're going to be on one side or the other. And you missed my point with Matchlight regarding lawyers.

No, I don't like BIASED interviewers, on either side of the aisle. You can conduct an interview without bias, it's done hundreds of times a day. But not by that gang of has beens on the View. They get almost giddy when they interview those who think the way they do. Except for the one attractive girl who is the token conservative they beat up on several times a day.

Even David Letterman, who is as liberal as they come, lets those he is interviewing speak without interruption (other than a few smug smirks toward the camera) and keeps his bias in check to an extent.

And I don't want someone from the Maury show as a spokesperson either. This show seems to drag up the trailer trash from all over the country - but maybe the Palins just have a more expensive trailer (just thought I'd get that shot in).

I think there is a distinct difference in sleeping with one boy she obviously cared about who turned out to be a piece of crap, and trying to figure out who the father of your child is from 10-15 guys that a team of detectives had to actually find out the names of. But, everyone sees it differently.
 matchlight
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 7/24/2011 7:01:10 PM
I'd have to agree with you on one note: she's likely just as intelligent as Michelle Bachmann or Ann Coulter

OK--maybe these conservative women--Sarah Palin, Michelle Bachmann, Kristi Noem, Ann Coulter, S.E. Cupp, etc. aren't super smart. But so what? I mainly like them because they're hot, and any smarts are frosting on the cake. I'd much rather look at any of these chicks, any day, than look at Donna Kagan, Madeleine Allbright, Janet "Big Sis" Napolitano, or Hillary "Her Thighness" Clinton. Having to do that is almost cruel and unusual punishment.

Did Bristol Palin claim she's abstaining from sex? And if so, how does anyone know she's not telling the truth?
 Welsh474
Msg: 73
Posted: 7/24/2011 7:59:51 PM
In fairness to Bristol Palin, and you know I'm not a fan, on her TV interview with Dr. Drew she stated that teaching abstinance doesn't work and that teenagers will do what they want to do. She also added that they should be taught about birth control and how to use it effectively. She was stumping for her book, which she read from.

She also added that she doesn't see the baby-daddy, he has no contact with the baby either so to me this just proves the point that SOME guys run off and leave a gal hanging and all the more need for the OPTION of abortion. It seems that even when the guy professes to being there for you and the child, sometimes talk is cheap. Remember Billboard Guy from another thread - who knows if he'd have hung around after the child was born.

I still think Bristol Palin should return to school, find a career to support herself and her child, hold her head up high because once the book is out there is no more story to tell until somewhere down the road she can say "I made it and you can too".
 totalazzhole
Msg: 74
Posted: 7/25/2011 7:29:51 AM

No proof of Bristol's lack of abstinence success...other than that kid hanging off her arm. Priceless.

could have been Immaculate Conception..... ;) well it COULD have been, couldn't it?

also I think match was referring to abstinence post-baby?
 RichenLosAngeles
Msg: 75
Posted: 7/25/2011 11:13:26 AM
Why have any spokesperson at all for a failed approach to preventing teen pregnancies?
-from above post

Indeed, why keep hammering about drunk driving or starting forest fires?
Maybe, someone out there will take a cab, and maybe someone won't flick that butt out the car window and start a blaze.

And maybe, some person can reach some other person and have a good effect.
That is why.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Bristol Palin, Advocate to Prevent Teen Pregnancy