Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Bristol Palin, Advocate to Prevent Teen Pregnancy      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 valenciacityx
Msg: 76
Bristol Palin, Advocate to Prevent Teen PregnancyPage 4 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
makes as much sense as
a vegetarian cannibal
 viper1j
Msg: 77
Bristol Palin, Advocate to Prevent Teen Pregnancy
Posted: 7/26/2011 3:35:20 AM

is like: Hiring a pyromaniac to teach fire safety. or,

putting Winona Ryder in charge of store security at Macy's.
 RSwindol
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Posted: 7/26/2011 4:18:40 AM
I'm a high school teacher and I see many lives messed up by young pregnancies.
If anyone can reach those kids and prevent some of this, let them come forward and do it.

I don't disagree with that statement. I just have a problem with Bristol being that "anyone".

Let me put it to you the easiest way that I know how. Bristol Palin is making a quarter of a million dollars to give speeches that she would never be giving had she not gotten pregnant as an unwed teen. And teens are not as stupid as we make them out to be. When she stands on that stage and tells them how horrible it is to have a child at such a young age, do you really think they will take her seriously? That child she had as an unwed teen is a blank check to Bristol Palin.

She is capitalizing to the full extent off that child's birth. It's probably the best thing that will ever happen to her. Between the books, the speeches, and all else in between, she will never have to get a real job. So who the hell is she to tell other kids to practice abstinence?

I have heard people try to relate Bristol Palin's situation with that of former incarcerated drug users who now give speeches to kids about staying off drugs. But I say that these two situations are completely different for the simple fact that the former drug dealer did his/her jail time. They know first hand the consequences of their actions. Bristol Palin, on the other hand, has only made money off her actions. She has never felt the consequences that other kids will feel, so she cannot truly put herself in their shoes. She has only benefited from her mistakes, and therefore should never be considered the voice of reason regarding this matter.

It's like the age old saying, "actions speak louder than words". And her actions are SCREAMING at the kids, while I'm afraid her words are nothing more than a whisper.
 4rumninja
Msg: 79
Posted: 7/26/2011 4:38:07 AM

Bristol Palin is making a quarter of a million dollars to give speeches that she would never be giving had she not gotten pregnant as an unwed teen.
Not too sure about that, her mom has become somewhat famous, she would be making money either way, it's good that she is using her notoriety to try and do some good...I think the real problem Liberals have with Bristol is that she is making money...the responsibilities don't change when you have a child whether you make money or not..you still have to wake up in the middle of the night and change and feed them...

So the argument is that she can't empathize because she makes money? not every teen that has a child is poor, most get help from their families and what not..

Be honest you are all just pissed that she is making money...How is her being an advocate any different than Al Gore being and advocate, he rides around in a private jet using tons of fuel, uses tons of electricity at his house and makes millions spewing Global Warming BS....
 flyguy51
Msg: 80
Posted: 7/26/2011 9:06:59 AM
msg 19:

The best advice you can get is from someone who has experience. We send bratty little twerps...sorry...at risk youth...to jails to talk with inmates not because we want to give them a lesson in hypocrisy, but because people who have made the same mistakes often provide the best advice.

I understand where you're coming from, but your comparison is pretty far off. Are these inmates children of privilege? Do they get out of jail early if they agree to talk to "at risk youth"? Do they make thousands on the speech circuit? Do they get to dance on TV with attractive instructors?

And, as has been said, abstinence only is a failing principle in practice-- that is the REAL lesson that Bristol's life is teaching us.

...and making a mistake, living with the consequences...

Yes, the consequences-- get knocked up at a young age when you are the child of a famous and wealthy mom, and you, too, may become famous, make well into the six figures in sponsorships, and wear fancy gowns while dancing on national TV.

I'm sure there is a valuable life lesson in there... somewhere...
 MsMicki
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 7/26/2011 9:30:42 AM
Guess what folks?!
Your opinion, judgements and small thinking don't make a bit of difference here!

If TEENS are listening to her because she is famous........that is all that matters.
And like it or not........famous people are very influential to our teens........hell, look how many adults follow and copy famous people!!

So go ahead and keep on dogging on this girl for taking what is offered to her....
because we all know deep in our hearts.........we'd do the same damn thing.
 flyguy51
Msg: 82
Posted: 7/26/2011 10:34:06 AM

If TEENS are listening to her because she is famous...

Well, that's just it-- ARE teens listening to her, or are they just watching her? Her and all her "consequences."

I'm sure that Sarah Palin taught abstinence only, too, before her daughter became sexually active.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 83
Posted: 7/26/2011 11:29:34 AM
She says, "I'm not out there saying don't have sex. I hate that kind of stuff. I'm just saying that birth control needs to be used effectively every time"

From Dr. Drew's interview...So, which is it...abstinence only...or sex with responsible BC??? This is the abstinence only spokes person???

I had a discussion with a friend about abstinence as a method of BC...and we agreed that abstinence along with all forms of BC need to be part of the formal education to our children...as responsible parents we know that sex is in our childrens future...and to ignore that, or think that abstinence is the only method of BC, is stupid.

My friend and I agreed that, as parents, we hope our children ignore peer pressure to have sex...we talk to our children about this peer pressure...we hope our children do practice abstinence till they are mature enough to have sex in a responsible manner with effective BC in place....but, to teach our children that the only method of BC is abstinence-abstinence only...well that's irresponsible as a parent...and quite frankly if that's the only plan-it's a plan to fail.
 viper1j
Msg: 84
Posted: 7/26/2011 1:09:13 PM

From Dr. Drew's interview...So, which is it...abstinence only...or sex with responsible BC??? This is the abstinence only spokes person???

And she humps like an epileptic rabbit with the hiccups.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 7/26/2011 3:34:00 PM
It's only irnoy if they continue to do it, but if they learnt from their own mistakes and tell people this is what i learnt by doing that and why it isn't a good idea so that you don't make the same mistake i did, then i see nothing wrong with that at all. That would be like a former alcoholic going to an AA meeting an warning people that your addiction is going to cause you to go down a very dark and lonely path like mine did if you keep drinking the way that you are.
 RSwindol
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Posted: 7/26/2011 4:28:05 PM

That would be like a former alcoholic going to an AA meeting an warning people that your addiction is going to cause you to go down a very dark and lonely path like mine did if you keep drinking the way that you are.

SteelCity, I too have no problem with people who suffered for their mistakes telling people about the pain and heartache they have to look forward to if they do not change their ways.

However, Bristol Palin never suffered for her mistake. In fact, it's just the opposite. She's making money left and right off of that "mistake". So how can she truthfully tell others that teen pregnency is a bad thing when she's capitolizing off it so much?

That would be like Bill Gates giving speeches to college students how terrible it is to drop out of college. What does he know? Dropping out worked great for him!
 RSwindol
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Posted: 7/26/2011 5:34:03 PM

don't believe that Bristol Palin is capitalizing as a result of her pregnancy. If that were the case then she would have been lauded for that very fact while on DWTS. She wasn't.

There are two very good reasons why Bristol Palin wasn't "lauded" while on DWTS. First off, the vast majority of DWTS viewers are conservative, and one thing I learned working for Nielsen TV Ratings is that a program will do anything they can to not piss off their viewer base. That's why the theory was raised that the only reason she wasn't voted off the show was to boost ratings with the conservative watchers.

But the bigger reason is because the news that Bristol made $262,000 in a single year as an advocate for abstinence didn't hit the media until after she was voted off DWTS. Get your time line straight. She can't possibly be lauded for something that no one yet knows about.

As far as Gates dropping out of college, do you think even for a moment that he ever stopped learning in his particular field?

Of course not. That's exactly why I made that point. Thanks for helping support it.
Bill Gates does realize that not only can you learn your field of study through OJT, but that it is possible to advance to spectacular levels without a college diploma. That's exactly why I said Bill Gates doesn't give speeches to college kids telling them that it's bad to drop out of college.

How about trying to comprehend some of what I write before retaliating.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 7/26/2011 11:05:09 PM
However, Bristol Palin never suffered for her mistake. In fact, it's just the opposite. She's making money left and right off of that "mistake". So how can she truthfully tell others that teen pregnency is a bad thing when she's capitolizing off it so much?

If she is making money doing this and putting the vast majority of that money she makes into teen pregnancy prevention programs then that's fine. i see no problem with that at all, but if she is making money off it for her own self worth and own self worth alone then thats greed in which i would agree with you on if that is the case.
 4rumninja
Msg: 89
Posted: 7/27/2011 4:33:07 AM
Hate to break it to you but many teens already think its cool to get pregnant and have a baby, if she can change the mind of any teens that will be a good service...
If she puts part of the money into teen pregnancy programs that is a great thing, that's money they wouldn't have had otherwise..
Just curious but how many of you blasting Bristol are Democrats? It seems to me that a lot of anger is directed at her based on the Politics of her mother....

it is what she represents that counts, and what she represents is that getting pregnant as an unwed teen gets you lots of attention and money
She gets attention and money because of who she is not because of getting pregnant...she gets a lot of attention from the Media, I think it's great that she is trying to help others with that attention.
Making money isn't a bad thing, trying to help with an issue that you have experienced is not a bad thing...
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 90
Posted: 7/27/2011 6:17:44 AM

What's a shame is the notion presented on here that "it doesn't matter what she says." Of course it does. And very often, teens pay a lot more attention to someone who is basically a peer... before condemning, try listening, and go from there.

I asked my kids if they knew who Bristol Palin is...they haven't the faintest clue who she is....and frankly in 2009 when she was employed by Candi's to speak about abstinence only for $262,000 she was a realitively unknown...known only in the tabliods because of her mother and her baby poppa drama......until she was on DWTS she hadn't hit any kids radar screen.

So, she exploits her 15 minutes of fame...hires a nanny to raise her kid while she's of flitting around with the hollywood stars...and makes an occassional speach on abstinence only...while sleeping with her newest b/f...any child that follows Bristol Palins exploits thru the internet see's a picture of promiscuity and excess....and no sense of abstinence only.
 4rumninja
Msg: 91
Posted: 7/27/2011 11:12:21 AM

I care about the kids. I am referring to and have all along in this thread referred to, the fact that she does not constitute a proper role model as an advocate against teen pregnancy because she is being rewarded with fame and fortune for being a teen mom
She is not being rewarded for being a teen mom, she is given opportunities because of who her mom is..would you rather she act like Paris Hilton?
I think it sends a great message to kids based on what you said about her, there she is as you put it making money, giving speeches, and going on DWTS..and she still wants to discourage teens from having babies, obviously there are other aspects of teen pregnancy and motherhood that you are not considering....
You don't seem to be able to separate her success from her pregnancy, she would be giving speeches or doing something else even if she was not a teen MOM...she has chosen to advocate against something that she has experienced...
You can say what you want about being non political but obviously there is something more going on ...
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2011 12:15:35 PM
Or do you mean she is now a successful celebrity because she got pregnant as a teen?

It's been said about 1800 hundred times in this thread. She is a celebrity because the mainstream media made her one because of who her mother is.

Why are you defending her?

Because some of us feel like she may have something worthwhile to share on the subject.

What message do you believe she has that is so good for kids?

At the very least, don't do a dumb ass thing like I did, protect yourself.

What will they want to do, what will they feel after listening to her?

I'm guessing you think most kids are so stupid they might say "Wait, my parents are poor, or barely getting by, but if I get myself knocked up like this Bristol chick, suddenly my life will be just dreamy?" Get serious......I doubt Bristol is thinking she has the world by the b*lls (like some here seem to think she does) now that she is a young unwed mother, and even if she did, I don't think she would last long advocating to others to follow in her footsteps....

How is she in any way similar to a girl growing up in a working class or poor family who is 15 years old and gets pregnant?

Wow, tough question....hmmmm.....maybe because she WAS PREGNANT?????

What can she possibly have to say to help a kid like that?

Redundant question. Answered above already when the same basic question was worded as "What message do you believe......." .
 Welsh474
Msg: 93
Posted: 7/27/2011 4:07:24 PM
This whole thing has nothing to do with Bristol, it is because of who her mother is, nothing more, nothing less. Five years ago she was still a dumb teenager living in****ad, Alaska. Until her mother ran as VP, nobody gave a damn about her and her opinions on anything from dryer lint to the cosmos. In fact, her mother was a nobody from****ad, Alaska and no one knew about her, other than her fellow Alaskans, until she was chosen to run as VP. And I'm sure even John McCain wishes he'd chosen differently.

She isn't anymore interesting than anyother teen mother, no better, no worse. She's just riding on the 15 minutes of fame. She's not a spokesperson and not an advocate. Can't dance and I'm sure her book is a winner. Yawn.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 94
Posted: 7/27/2011 4:45:46 PM
I see uninformed posters commenting on the image Bristol Palin is giving to our kids...without one shread of research..it's a post without information-opinion only...just ask Rush or Bill that's how they report....

Do a google search for Bristol Palin...look at the Hollywood reports/blogs...because thats what kid do..they are smarter then many who post....the Hollywood reports talk about Bristol leaving the home in Arizona Sarah bought for her,...sleeping with the co-star of her next TV show...yada yada yada...This is what are kids are learning from Bristol Palin...these kids are not learning from Bristol Palin the conjecture some posters are spewing here.

You don't seem to be able to separate her success from her pregnancy

And you don't seem to be able to seperate reality from fiction.
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2011 5:34:55 PM
Do a google search for Bristol Palin...look at the Hollywood reports/blogs...because thats what kid do..they are smarter then many who post....

But not smart enough to listen to Palin speak and make a good decision. Right?

the Hollywood reports talk about Bristol leaving the home in Arizona Sarah bought for her,...sleeping with the co-star of her next TV show...yada yada yada...This is what are kids are learning from Bristol Palin...these kids are not learning from Bristol Palin the conjecture some posters are spewing here.

And suddenly...bammm!! when the gossip on the internet turns to Bristol Palin, every word must be the gospel truth. But every word of bad press about Obama is made up by those racist religious zealot republican bloggers. Talk about being unable to separate reality from fiction......jeeeezuusss!
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 96
Posted: 7/27/2011 5:52:33 PM

And suddenly...bammm!! when the gossip on the internet turns to Bristol Palin, every word must be the gospel truth. But every word of bad press about Obama is made up by those racist religious zealot republican bloggers. Talk about being unable to separate reality from fiction......jeeeezuusss

What kid cares about this horseshyte^^^..they are the ones looking at the latest gossip on the internet...

Talk about being unable to separate reality from fiction

lol...you completely missed the point...but, what else is new.

Quite frankly...about 2 posters knew of Bristol Palin being the spokes person for abstinence only before this thread...and I wasn't one of the two..

But, in researching this I did look at was was available on the net...just like the kids do...and what I found was a tale of promiscuity and excess...certianly not a fundamentalist abstinate lifestyle...

So, yea...I looked at what was out there before shooting off my mouth in a half cocked stupid manner...unlike some
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2011 6:04:30 PM
"Do as I say, not as I do", has long been around, and equally long been dismissed as hypocrisy, ineffective, and promoted mostly by control freaks/hypocrites. Not effective, honest, or credible. The "culture warriors" of the far right christian taliban seem to be the most infested with this hypocrisy, therefore making their fall from grace, ever the more laughable. The most teen pregnant, STD, divorced, porn loving states are these people.
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2011 9:59:14 PM
But, in researching this I did look at was was available on the net...just like the kids do...and what I found was a tale of promiscuity and excess...certianly not a fundamentalist abstinate lifestyle...

Care to share the names of those sites? *holding breath waiting to hear Huffpo*

The most teen pregnant, STD, divorced, porn loving states are these people.

That's only because they don't count abortions in those stats.....all the top ten states with the highest abortion rates (ages 15-19) are lib states except one. New York, New Jersey,
Maryland, Nevada. Count those and I bet you get a different picture.

http://womensissues.about.com/od/datingandsex/a/TeenAbortRates.htm

And the reason there are more divorces in Bible belt states? Because of the greater chance of "living together" (as in "try it before you buy it") in lib states. Divorce rates don't include those people shacking up who decide not to anymore.

Sometimes digging a little deeper IS quite interesting.
 RSwindol
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Posted: 7/28/2011 3:05:55 AM
If she is making money doing this and putting the vast majority of that money she makes into teen pregnancy prevention programs then that's fine.

I think it would be a bit naive to even assume that she's putting forth her own money toward any pregnancy prevention programs. That wouldn't even make sense. Why would she (or anyone else for that matter) give most of her money to the very company who pays her more than a quarter or a million dollars per year?

If she was interested in donating to the cause, she would either volunteer her time, or get a much smaller salary. But she's getting paid more than a quarter million per year. I hardly think that could be considered charitable.

She gets attention and money because of who she is not because of getting pregnant

Seriously? Ask yourself this. How many other Governor's Daughters are this well known?

Hell, our president's very own daughters aren't even as well known as Bristol Palin. No, you are dead wrong here. Had Bristol Palin not gotten pregnant as an unwed teen while her mother was running for VP, then she wouldn't have been plastered all over the news and tabloids, thus, she wouldn't be nearly this famous and would possibly not be famous at all. Why wasn't John McCain's daughter on DWTS? Answer: Because McCain's daughter didn't get pregnant out of wedlock during her father's campaign for the presidency! Even George Bush's girls didn't become famous for being the president's daughters. They became famous because they kept getting caught drinking underage at night clubs.
 RSwindol
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Posted: 7/28/2011 3:21:36 AM

The only thing that is going on is I seem to be the only one who can separate this situation from a poltical pov. I believe I am the only one in this thread who is seeing it solely for the well being of the kids she would affect

Which means you obviously haven't read any of my threads. I don't think this is a political issue at all. I think it's an issue a Hypocrisy. I think it's an issue of paying someone a quarter of a million dollars to help kids when they are obviously the wrong choice and have no clue how to help those kids because they don't know the consequences of their actions.

How is that in any way political?
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Bristol Palin, Advocate to Prevent Teen Pregnancy