Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > What's Up With NO PHOTOS?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 bluedew
Msg: 26
What's Up With NO PHOTOS?Page 2 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
Thank-you, some of us are still learning and some of just can't afford all the new gadgets. Never assume everyone knows what to do.
Just a foot note to those who want a pic., how about being polite about it. Maybe you should try reading the persons profile, letting them know you'd like to chat and could you please send photo. Repling to someone no pic no chat is equal to telling a person you don't care who they are only what they look like.
 mandy21fca01
Msg: 27
What's Up With NO PHOTOS?
Posted: 1/18/2006 6:52:33 PM
^^^^i agree.

You people jump to conclusions about total strangers too much
Everything doesn't have some nefarious plot attached to it.
People have their reasons.
At this rate people are going to just find some picture off the WWW and post it to stop your accusations so they can continue to maintain whatever reasons they have to remain anonymous.

Give people the benefit of the doubt
 jackyfrost01
Msg: 28
Posted: 3/23/2006 3:56:08 AM
i'd guess there's alot of married people on POF and only a small portion of them really plan on meeting anyone. MHO I think most married people are on here to chat, maybe flirt, and have some harmless fun no one's aware of but them. To cover themselves further, they use a fake picture.

Speaking of pictures on profiles, here's a new thread the admin made:
http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts3686293.aspx
 Time 2 Dance
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 3/23/2006 12:11:14 PM
Please tell me how to add a picture if you do not own a digital camera and doc station.
 ca1angel2
Msg: 30
Posted: 3/23/2006 12:33:01 PM
http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts3686293.aspx

Um, he won't. This is his new thread about photos and he clearly states there is NO requirement whatsoever to have any photos with your profile.

MSG 78,
Why would no pic = married person? I don't get that logic. Would a married person simply remove their ring and take the picture anyway or post a picture with the ring cropped out? And thats assuming they are posting their own pictures.
 luvneboni
Msg: 31
Posted: 3/23/2006 12:44:19 PM
I prefer pictures, yet I try very hard to answer everyone who took that second or two to stop by. If there is no attraction I usually say thank you for taking the time to stop by, and I wish you well in your quest.

Acknowledging one is important to me. I know I don't like it when I write someone and I don't get a response. After all, picture or no picture they took the time to stop by and I appreciate such kindness, and try hard to return it.

Again I do prefer pictures as I have had the "I'll tell ya what I look like story", and the "You won't be Disappointed lines", and in reality it was "OMG" for lack of a better word or letters,,,,smile.........deceit is what I found. At least a picture plus a profile does aid in my decision of possibly meeting and sharing all we have in common.

Nothing like good eye contact, it alone can tell you little secrets....smile
 herewegoagain_10
Msg: 32
Posted: 3/23/2006 1:02:40 PM
"what if admin said 'no pic no.........profile'"

Personally I think that would only create a rush of faked pics as people wishing to save their profiles from deletion would start grabbing any photos they can find, real or not, from the web. At least until they can put up a real picture of themselves at any rate or until someone catches them in a lie. Good luck there, though. my 2 centavos.
 luvneboni
Msg: 33
Second Best Dad Oh Yeah MEOW!!!
Posted: 3/23/2006 2:01:27 PM
Bluelakemermaid,

I think understand what your saying, But YES, "Hell Yes", I'd strike up a conversation with someone wearing a mask, but that's just me. I'd want to know the reason, his plans, am I in danger, do I need to call for help, his thoughts, is he mentally stable, etc..these would be things going through my mind, so to soothe my mind I'd definitely say how's it going or something to that effect jsut to get a feel of the situation.
Don't you say hello when you enter a room of people, or just in passing? or on an elevator, at a nightclub, how about on Halloween, many walk around in Mask, we have no clue who these people are"most", but we laugh with them, admire them, party with them etc...
 luvneboni
Msg: 34
Posted: 3/23/2006 2:11:36 PM
herewego,
good point, but it would be a boring affair, I don't know many men/women who love to type without something visual or stimulating that gives him/her reason, in my opinion. some suspense is good though don't ya think...
 Evil_Bob
Msg: 35
Posted: 3/23/2006 2:26:40 PM
while everyone is arguing "pic or no pic", i would just like to state, pictures lie too. some girl posts a picture of her at prom night or as a bridesmaid, she looks pretty damn hot. do you honestly think she looks this way every single day? probably not. that can apply to the opposite. there are pictures we or someone else has taken of us that make us look hidious, possibly the most undisrable thing in the room. take a video camera and just read something out loud, than randomly take stills from the video, you will find you make hundreds of the most stupidest faces in the world. ex, your mouth is open while reading. thats not strange while doing it, but you have a still picture of it, and you look retarded.

i think people look into the picture thing way to much. it's a blunt tool to get an idea of what the person looks like, nothing more. if a person doesn't post one, im sure they have their reasons, good or bad. and likewise, there are people who post pictures and quit frankly, they're good looks may be all they have going for them. to each man his own.

-the evil one
 luvneboni
Msg: 36
Posted: 3/23/2006 2:35:01 PM
evil,
well put.... but I don't think theres an arguement going on, just different views being shared. But to have no picture then ask a person with pictures for more pictures, is insane....well, maybe not that bad, but come on....where does one draw the line.....smile
 luvneboni
Msg: 37
NO PHOTOS? and USELESS PHOTOS?
Posted: 3/23/2006 4:57:06 PM
waterbabe,
I see clearly where your coming from, and you've made some good points thanks for sharing. I've been on both sides of the fence, no photo, to photos, I have had that bad experience you speak of with both, a picture and without a picture. It still boils down to preference, and I still perfer a profile with a picture perferably their OWN, smile, but I make it a point to answer the ones without pictures as well. I don't persue profiles without pictures, not usually, but have.
I enjoy reading so with or without a photo I do respond.
OMG, I'm thinking about what you said about mother finding out, can you imagine at dinner, hi honey, so ummm, I saw you on the internet, pass the potatoes and tell me why....lololololol
 Lil_Moments
Msg: 38
Posted: 3/23/2006 5:42:24 PM
Another thing, how do we know that the pics that are posted are really who the profile is portraying. Some post pics of themselves when they are like 10yrs younger, or pics of someone not even themselves.
I say,if you take the time to post a pic, make sure it is one of you...and up todate! Even a one taken a few years ago can be different then how you look now...different colored hair, less hair then pic posted or even no hair any more!
 luvneboni
Msg: 39
NO PHOTOS? and USELESS PHOTOS?
Posted: 3/23/2006 9:11:45 PM
Dealwithit

to to funny..
 luvneboni
Msg: 40
Posted: 3/23/2006 9:34:07 PM
lil moments,

we don't do we.....just one of those things that comes with surfing the net and the many different sites, we would like to believe "TRUST ME" but it's the chance we take in hopes that the profile is as real as the person who wrote it, or is the picture really theirs.

Have fun and try not to put a lot of weight on pictures, they are definitely nice to have in my opinion, but there are lots of good people I'm sure without their Mug shot in that little square box..smile

I've seen some terrific pictures, from all over the world, art work, scenery, the beach, peoples backyards, horses in a pasture, all types of cool animals, boats, oceans, clubs, you name it. Quite interesting to say the least and some very beautiful, and those types of pictures don't lie.....smile....(or do they)
 luvneboni
Msg: 41
Posted: 3/23/2006 10:12:29 PM
Cajunblast,

Do you really think that women make a big deal on photos? I too went without photos for awhile for personal reasons and when I'd communicate with others the first thing out of their mouths were send me a picture, you got a picture, wheres your picture, what do you look like, I don't talk to people without a picture, put your picture up etc etc.......
I think men are more visual then women. just my opinion though...................
 maree12
Msg: 42
Posted: 3/24/2006 3:01:06 AM
I do not have a photo on my computer so to have to mess around getting one, and scanning it in, whilst signing up is too much of a nuisance, so it is easier not to put one.
 maree12
Msg: 43
hornydevil
Posted: 3/24/2006 3:04:19 AM
So, that is fortunate...May, June, July and August are coming up.
 luvneboni
Msg: 44
Posted: 3/24/2006 4:34:05 AM
"WoW" arealangel,

so sorry to hear such. I took mine down after an episode from a "CREEP"..went awhile without a photo up until things got better and he was band from the site...I wish you well, and hope you encounter nothing but happiness from this moment on......
 get_over_it2
Msg: 45
Posted: 3/25/2006 3:50:35 AM
"That's also why I ask for more than one photo of a person before I meet them"

For proof its them? Or to get more than one look at them? Because it is possible to find more than a single photo of someone and still have it be fake. Like go to webshots or botfolio where people post entire family albums of family vacations, etc, and there's nothing stopping a person from right clicking and saving all the photos they want, make up a story and claim those pics as their own. And it'll work online when the person has no plans to meet you.

If they are looking for a date, then I wouldn't see the logic in pretending to be someone else.
 jackyfrost01
Msg: 46
Posted: 3/25/2006 4:01:33 AM
"thuthodare: How is it hiding marriage? They can crop out a ring or take it off for a photo or use a photo from before they were married or use a totally fake photo altogether."

There's some truth to that...

"Msg 127 I'm very sorry for your bad day. Are you and the mrs having a tiff? Oh! I'd prefer Matthew McConaughey to the weather man."

Cute, but you avoided his question/comment ;) lol

But he does have a point, Truthodare. A married person can show a photo without making it obvious they are married (intentionally or not).

Just as its very easy to to just assume anything about someone without a photo, but why make generalizations without knowing all the facts? I mean we're all strangers here right? We don't really know each other or what our individual situations are. Why assume its a married person when it may just be something far more innocent. And even if they are married, they aren't necessarily looking to find a fling, either. I tend to go by the "innocent until proven guilty" method, but thats me. That was my 2 cents. Have a good day.
 ca1angel2
Msg: 47
Posted: 3/26/2006 3:03:35 AM
Are you all bored or something?
I don't get it.

- the only ones I see ranting (for the most part) are the 2 females with photos. I've seen the other people state one, maybe two things, but these two keep the argument going on and on.

- if the person has said they are married then would you wanna look at their profile? Maybe its hidden because of that. Just because you don't know all the facts or don't understand something doesn't mean it has to have some sinisiter plot behind it. Don't turn this into some sort of witchhunt, where everyone doing something out of the ordinary must be doing something evil. Ridiculous.

- what are they hiding? Well maybe further criticisms from people looking for things to post on a thread to belly ache about?

- it wouldn't matter if their profile was open or not. You've already made up your mind about them. And you'll find a reason to rag on these people no matter what they do or say :)

If its unopenable - rag rag rag
if its open you'll rag on whatever happens to be (or not be) there

You said they are here to give you grief but you guys are the ones I see talking the most. Why not just move on and talk about something else then if they bother you so much?
Personally I don't see the problem, but then again I'm actually reading their reasons. Everyone has differing views and just because you don't argree, doesn't make it wrong.

I never understand why people go online and rag on complete strangers and what they choose to do online? How could it possibly effect you in your real life? And if you think ragging on them on here causes them shame and embarrassment, I doubt it. Its not gonna make them do anything different. If they are married, its between them and their spouse. Thats all. All our assumptions and accusations are irrelevant and uneducated.

If they open up their profile and give a photo to look at, will it make you happy? Probably not. And anyone with an open profile and a picture on it must be telling the truth? Cmon, girls, you're smarter than that. Everyone on the net (open profile, photo or not) is hiding stuff too because we all have things total strangers on the net don't need to know. Its called privacy.

But whatever the deal is, just let it go. Your making yourselves sound like you are just trying to find things to razz people about (which is trolling btw), like you got no life or something. And I'm sure thats not true. Just let it go.
 ca1angel2
Msg: 48
Posted: 3/28/2006 3:42:53 AM
well thats not everyone, Area, but I get your drift. In many cases I feel your very accurate. People are very vain and self-conscience and might put a pic up of themselves that was taken when they looked their best. On the other hand, people just chit-chatting on here aren't gonna give a hoot.
 leave_this_space_blank
Msg: 49
Posted: 3/29/2006 9:29:49 AM
why would their spouse admit they caught them on here. Then they'd have to explain why they were here themselves....
 jackyfrost01
Msg: 50
Posted: 3/29/2006 12:19:22 PM
Adam,

You make it sound like being sensitive and talking to our mother's is a bad thing lol

I guess getting "razzed" for harmless stuff is why people don't talk about doing it themselves. You never talk to your parents about anything?

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > What's Up With NO PHOTOS?