Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > What's Up With NO PHOTOS?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Nottaprob
Msg: 26
What's Up With NO PHOTOS?Page 2 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
This may not be fair, but IMHO it's accurate: Putting a photo on your profile is the same as putting your money where your mouth is.

Frankin, you have your reasons for not putting a photo up, but it probably wouldn't hurt you to add some content to your profile. Perhaps that will help make up the difference.
 tunesman
Msg: 27
view profile
History
What's Up With NO PHOTOS?
Posted: 7/22/2005 11:13:47 PM
I would urge everyone here to not ignore the profiles with no photos. You may just be passing up someone truly great. Give all profiles their due and read between the lines. That is really what reveals all that the person is really about. I never overlook a profile just because there is no photo there.

I do think in an ideal world that it is only fair for the other person to provide a photo for you. If they are able to see you, you should be able to see them. While looks are not everything, they certainly are something and do constitute at least a part of that magical thing called attraction. There is not any great use in carrying on with something, which may not be destined to work. The overall attraction has to be there.

Other than what has been said already, I would like to add a couple of other legitimate reasons for someone to not have a picture up. Someone like me who is frequently at the business end of the camera simply doesn’t get around to getting a goodly number of shots of him or herself. It is a major act of gymnastics to do that with your own camera, all by yourself. I have found that many people are just a bit scared of a higher end digital camera; volunteers for snapping me are very few and far between.

From my own experiences, many of the people in my circle simply hate having their picture taken at all costs. Despite gentle persuasion that the camera simply loves them, it can almost turn into a bloodbath. Two of the ladies I have met through POF have indicated the same thing.
 Legal Catch
Msg: 28
Posted: 7/23/2005 2:13:19 PM
@rackhunter-"There are perfectly acceptable reasons for not having a pic of yourself in your profile . Shame on those who jump to conclusions about everyone with no photo saying that they are hiding something . Not all of us are"

Excellent-That just had to be said twice.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 29
Posted: 7/23/2005 5:50:42 PM
rack Dude, you got one hairy face....but pretty eyes though!!
 peaceful_hermit
Msg: 30
Posted: 7/24/2005 5:00:52 AM
Getting a picture of yourself isn't all that difficult nowadays. I'm not a camera type of person, so I just bought a disposable one. Stuck it in front of my face and snapped it. Then had the film developed at a local store where they had the option to put it on a computer disk (which a lot are doing now). And that was that. As you can see, it doesn't look as good as having someone take the picture for you (and helping you out with a smile) and using a good camera, but it at least gives people a general idea of who they're talking too.
 Mispriss
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 7/24/2005 6:35:01 AM
I don't respond to people with no photos - too annoymous feeling. I do want to know who I'm talking to. Of course I'm aware that the photo could always be fake ...
 Mispriss
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 7/24/2005 6:42:02 AM
He hee looks like I've invented yet another word "Annoymous".... I guess I do feel that IS annoying and anonymous when people won't post a photo....

cheers,

Mispriss
 frankin2006
Msg: 33
Posted: 7/24/2005 8:47:22 AM
tunesman very well said.

Obviously with your age you are talking from experience. I can understand those who require a photo in order to go further with anything but what I dont like is those who do not even look in your profile and read everything as soon as they notice there is no immidiate photo in your email. But then I think if they are so shallow or cant keep up with the emails then they are NOT destined to be with me anyway.

cheers

peaceful_hermit
Msg: 34
0 x 10 is still 0
Posted: 7/24/2005 11:22:40 AM
It's said that adding a photo of yourself for your profile will bring in 10x or so responses. But it's important to realize that 0x10 is still 0.

A sad but true statement should be added here. For males on a dating site, it's very difficult to get anyone to respond to your profile regardless of what you do. I'm adding this comment here because a lot of the gentlemen out there with no photos might be reading this thread thinking that if they go to the trouble of adding a picture, responses are finally going to come rolling in. Unfortunately this isn't the case. Although a picture will increase your odds, just bear in mind that you're still playing the lottery and don't get depressed when the winning ticket, or I should actually say *any ticket*, doesn't show.

So if it's a lot of trouble for you to put up a picture, don't worry about it, chances are that no one will respond anyway.

I think for the ladies is where it makes a big difference. For a lady's profile, if they show a picture, that basically helps to verifiy that they're really female and that they're at least slightly attractive (contrary to popular belief, as long as a woman is under 300 pounds, looks don't really matter). And as long as that basic premise is established they're going to get mail flooding in.

For the men folk out there reading this, a prescription for an anti-depressant will probably do you more good than putting up a picture.
 sabre_805
Msg: 35
Posted: 7/24/2005 11:54:35 AM
I see many women on his site and others with NO photo on their profiles.

My experience has proven it is for a good reason.

With todays obesity epidemic it's usually better NOT to see them and move on lol.

Also they may not want the wife/husband to find them so using no photo is safer.
 sabre_805
Msg: 36
Posted: 7/25/2005 1:19:44 AM
Good luck skippy.

*I couldn't care what someone looks like as long as she and I can have a good time together

Most of the takers will want a date with the dog I bet lol.

When you are unattractive you take what you can get.

People who look good have options you don't.
 who_the_fox
Msg: 37
Posted: 7/25/2005 1:24:32 AM
Well, I just took my pix down. I figure that should drop the BS level quite a lot.
btw
I am neither obese nor ugly. I am just "cutting bait".
 who_the_fox
Msg: 38
Posted: 7/25/2005 1:29:19 AM
Holy crap! Talk about NAIVE!! The pic doesn't actually have to be THEM! It is seriously easy to find a pic of someone and pretend it is you. People on dating sites do it all the damn time, both men AND women!
 who_the_fox
Msg: 39
Posted: 7/25/2005 1:38:15 AM
sigh
It is just that I have met people who had the fake pix...or the ones that were 20 years and 50lbs ago. I think some people use pix of their friends or even their kids!! There is just NO way to know who will actually show up at that first meeting. I guess if you did the web cam chat thing it would help, but it seems that a lot of guys use a cam to exhibit Mr Happy, so I won't chat like that anymore.
IF I was interested in meeting someone, I would be happy to post pics again. Unlikely to happen though.
 who_the_fox
Msg: 40
Posted: 7/25/2005 12:23:18 PM
I usually have pix up. Right now, I just can't be bothered as I am not attracting any interest from people who are local and actually serious about meeting.

Would I want to see pix before meeting? Hell yes....but I don't put a lot of faith in the pix being accurate.
 hrtsdsr
Msg: 41
Posted: 7/25/2005 4:39:27 PM
No photo? Why not? Obviously there has to be physical attraction to begin with. Right? Although I have been fortunate enough to run into someone on another site whom I already knew from many years ago. Go Figure! No, I wouldn't say he's the most handsome man I've ever dated but he IS the best man I've ever dated. (so far. lol)
 who_the_fox
Msg: 42
Posted: 7/25/2005 5:46:11 PM
@ zoomy
Maybe women don't make the first move very often because we are told so often that we are worthless. Too fat, too tall, too short, too old, have kids...whatever. Get enough of that and we quit making first contact.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 43
Posted: 7/25/2005 6:04:18 PM
zoom In real life it may be somewhat different, on here if you sit and wait for women to approach you...well, you may be waiting awhile. That's not just you, I mean any man. Men outnumber women on here by a good margin, so most women if they're answering their mail don't even have time to go persue.
 who_the_fox
Msg: 44
Posted: 7/25/2005 10:44:43 PM
I know women can be brutal too. Realistic? How about I just assume I am not good enough for anyone and leave it alone?
 sabre_805
Msg: 45
Posted: 7/27/2005 12:24:46 AM
Aside from all that, what makes you think that the pic of the person you are looking at is even that person at all?? It could be five years old, when they still had most of their teeth and hair. So the point is invalid to begin with.

I have heard of people doing this but it has never happened to me.

If someones looks have gone or they have gained excess weight it will only come out when they meet up in person.

If someone did do this I would leave instantly.

People who choose to play this game are just looking for cheap entertainment and not to meet in person.

Try again brainless.
 CBell
Msg: 46
Posted: 7/27/2005 2:52:45 PM
Everybody doesn't know how to upload a damn photo. Everybody in this world isn't computer savvy! Meaning they don't know what from what on a computer.
 indigomontana
Msg: 47
Posted: 7/29/2005 12:48:48 AM
Opinions are like ***holes we all have one.
I laugh at the petty sterotypes of the people just so proud to have pics.
SILLY HUMANS so so judgemental and self-rightous.

I am new to this whole computer thing let alone, internet dating.
I have numerous reasons why I have no pic.
Which would you like first:
I just new to this and do not have a scanner. I began to do my research and found that nobody I know has a scanner. But then my friend told me maybe I can get pictures developed on a computer disc and download them to my computer.
Yes, so now that is the plan. But I have a busy life, let me drop everything and buy film, take pictures, get developed. It is just not a top priority. I am very busy. This does not mean I am lazy or a procrastinator or insecure, or got a spouse or boyfriend. Get a grip people.
 sabre_805
Msg: 48
Posted: 7/29/2005 11:50:16 PM
No it is much more simple than any of those.

Take snap shot or Drivers License to Kinkos.

They will scan it and burn it to a disc for like $5.

They will even walk you through the incredibly difficult uploading of the photo.

Oh and most Kinkos are open 24 hours for your busy schedule.
 shellsmack
Msg: 49
Posted: 7/30/2005 6:30:40 AM
If a man doesn't have his photo up, to me it means he's either in a relationship or married. Pass 'um by babe. Not worth spending your time with them. They don't care enough to post a photo, then they don't deserve the time to communicate.
 sevenoftwelve
Msg: 50
Posted: 9/16/2005 12:13:06 AM
The way I approach dating is that I look for outwardly attractive people in places like bars/clubs etc…as I can see them in person, and develop my own impression of them in real time…but online, I am looking for someone who is intelligent and can hold my attention through good written communication. In other words, I would rather speak to someone who used proper grammar and didn’t use ‘internet words,’ but who didn’t have a photo, as opposed to someone who has a good photo but couldn’t spell or construct a decent sentence – at least some of the time.

If someone is able to hold my attention through writing then I have to say that I am willing to chance it and give them the time of day…If you want to get a good idea as to how a woman looks and feel about themselves, ask them to rate themselves from 1-10 and you would be surprised at how honest and accurate women are…I’d take that any day over a photo - but that is just me I suppose.

Just don't assume everyone who doesn't have a photo up is ugly, has a low self image etc...Sharing photos is a choice, not an obligation...
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > What's Up With NO PHOTOS?