Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > What's Up With NO PHOTOS?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Never to old
Msg: 101
view profile
History
What's Up With NO PHOTOS?Page 5 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
I am the same as you Legal, I will not send a intro letter either without saying that I have a picture that I am more than willing to send.

I agree with all your reasons for not posting a picture.

Also single parents with children may not want to show their picture to the whole site. They are being cautious.

I think if people were honest they would admit that if they see a picture of a "hot" person they don't read the profile, just email and add to favourites. So really what is that person interested in?

I know I'm going to take a bashing on this one.

Personally I like to read the entire profile and make a decision if I want to contact the person. Having a picture posted is neither here or there with me, if I like what the person has said I will contact them.
 Never to old
Msg: 102
view profile
History
What's Up With NO PHOTOS?
Posted: 3/28/2006 11:32:47 AM
A friend of mine had her picture taken from a dating site and used in about 5 other sites.

I volunteer my time to several organizations and will not take the chance of my picture being scattered all over the net.

If not having a picture posted means I am limiting my chance of meeting someone then so be it. If people are interested in your profile they will ask for one.

Some people are shy, live in small towns, work in professional occupations and would rather friends/work collegues don't know they are on a dating site, everyone has their own reasons. I think if someone is trying to pull the wool over your eyes you will figure that out.
 Poet102781
Msg: 103
Posted: 3/28/2006 12:28:37 PM
I did find since I put something on my profile...I got responses...I figure since I cant get my pic on here....yet.....I might as well put pictures that explain a little bit about the way I think.
 leave_this_space_blank
Msg: 104
Posted: 3/29/2006 9:29:49 AM
why would their spouse admit they caught them on here. Then they'd have to explain why they were here themselves....
 LFF001
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Posted: 3/29/2006 11:58:39 AM
You can have a pic on here that's not shown on your profile. (Mine is that way.) That way, if you write someone and want to share it, you can include it in the message. Otherwise, you have your privacy.

I met my "fish" on here and neither of us had a pic in our profile.
 jackyfrost01
Msg: 106
Posted: 3/29/2006 12:19:22 PM
Adam,

You make it sound like being sensitive and talking to our mother's is a bad thing lol

I guess getting "razzed" for harmless stuff is why people don't talk about doing it themselves. You never talk to your parents about anything?

Roxie Hart
Msg: 107
Posted: 3/29/2006 12:31:50 PM
I think that people who say they are not that worried about how someone else looks, also don't seem to care about how they themselves look.

I haven't been here too long and I did not have my pic up at first and very quickly learned it's only natural people are going to want to see what you look like, since I also want to.

I like the ones that tell you (I had one today) that they have a very important profession and they cannot disclose who they are online and so you should contact them on MSN to see their pics.
Yeah I can tell you what their very important profession is: SALES. that is the oldest trick in the book, the old.. "we can't tell you what you have won but let us come over to your house and do a small presentation and we will show you once we are there" Not only are you not impressed by the product once you see it, you can't get them out of your home until you sign the dotted line.
 Frrosty
Msg: 108
Posted: 3/29/2006 1:10:16 PM
You know; I often have more respect for NO photos then for those who post only themselves at that ONE blacktie event they have ever attended or that ONE pic that shows them looking pretty.

Photos...are a great way to bias your ad or lie about who you are, on average.

At least the tittie girls are showing you something that gets to the ROOT truth of who they are.

With that being said; I have messaged and WILL message people whos' ad and descriptions sound appealing and leave them as a real prospect...photo or not.

If you're going to put a photo u,; use a good one; because people WILL judge that they have your whole character figured out.....by a pic.

It sure makes communication a lot nicer to know who you are responding to...know what I mean?

Well thought out ads, and good converation help you to know who you are talking to...no? The way someone looks is NOT the sole identifier of who they are...is it?

Or are you one of these girls that thinks "if it looks like a sheep"....and then comes on to cry about the boy who used you and treated you like poo?

IN total though; I do also enjoy seeing a pic sometime before we meet or allow conversation to get too deep. (So; I'm much like you that way)
 leave_this_space_blank
Msg: 109
Posted: 3/30/2006 3:32:14 AM
no photo because:
-They aren't dating
- they don't feel like posting one
- they don't want you to see them

Everyone has a reason that's important to them
Just ask nicely if its important to you
 Never to old
Msg: 110
view profile
History
Posted: 3/30/2006 9:52:59 AM
Xavi, What makes you the judge on what is lame and not lame. I for one don't have my picture posted and have no problem getting dates. I send an email with a picture attached, to those with pictures posted and also those without.

There are valid reasons for not having a picture posted. How about an undercover policeman that would jepodize his/her career if they posted a picture, would you judge them?, are they not allowed to date? or look for someone on here? How about a teacher?, there are people that judge people all the time, and that might be a reason to question a person's credibility based on the fact they are on a dating site, the list could go on.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and if you feel more superior because you have a picture posted, good for you, just don't blast others that have their reasons for not posting a picture. Not everyone is dishonest and hiding something.
 sunshineface03
Msg: 111
Posted: 3/30/2006 12:07:48 PM
someone just needs to grow up a little, Never. Ya know? Its like reasoning with a teenager that thinks they know everything and everyone else is stupid. Hate that.
 tygre138
Msg: 112
Posted: 3/30/2006 2:35:10 PM
i have photos of myself. i usually send them to those i'm interested in. other than that, the display photos are an expression of one of my major interests, horror.
 Never to old
Msg: 113
view profile
History
Posted: 3/31/2006 7:51:44 AM
How do we know anyone on this site is who they are!!. How do we know that you are who you present yourself to be. That wasn't a knock against you, I'm sure you are who you say you are, just using an example.

I don't think an undercover cop is going to specify that he is, and I hardly think he is going to let many people know unless he is really interested in someone.

You are intitled to your opinion and others are entitled to theirs, and whether they post their picture or not shouldn't be a reason to condemn them for that. If you know ladies that are teachers and have no problem posting their pictures, great, the point I was getting across was that some people in public positions don't want to. If a person wants to take advantage of all the technology thats great, if they don't then that is their choice.

Your line of thinking came across as, because you have a picture up you get dates, those that don't won't.

It doesn't bother me that much, believe me. Like I said you are entitled to your opinion, but if others have theirs you should respect it. I'm not arguing with you nor am I disputing what you say, I agree that you would get more responses with a picture, that people could see right off what you look like, but it also seems that a lot of people on here are quite content with not having a picture, and willing to send one to those they are interested in.

Wow it is like trying reasoning with a teenager!.
 sunshineface03
Msg: 114
Posted: 3/31/2006 11:50:04 AM
.............................. well anyway

umm people who don't wanna post anything have that right and shouldn't have to be judged by total strangers that have no impact on their real lives. Whats it matter what "Joe Stranger" thinks? exactly.
 Roxie Hart
Msg: 115
Posted: 3/31/2006 12:07:18 PM
"""" the point I was getting across was that some people in public positions don't want to. If a person wants to take advantage of all the technology thats great, if they don't then that is their choice."""""

gimme a break, everyone is in a public position. And undercover cop's prefession is irrelevant because unless he writes in the profile HI UNDERCOVER COP ALLERT!!!! no one gives a damn that the guy has to work incognito all the time nor would he jeopardize his cases by simply being seen on here.
having said that, I respect someone who doesn't want everyone to see their picture, no matter what their personal reason is.

As far as exchanging pictures behind the scenes I would never meet a guy without a pic.

Oh and as to the we never know who someone is...chances are that if you have a few pictures they are more than likely the person they say they are.
 brad77hayes
Msg: 116
Posted: 3/31/2006 1:24:36 PM
I was hesitant to post my pic, so i can see why others feel the same way.
Esp if they have a job where they are in the public eye, esp a teacher, dentist, pharmacist, etc
 ninjaexplosion
Msg: 117
Posted: 3/31/2006 1:56:30 PM
what does LAMBASTING mean hornydevil?
 BRIANiac
Msg: 118
Posted: 3/31/2006 2:21:01 PM
If a girl doesn't have a photo up, she has to have something extremely eye-catching in her headline or the few lines of their profile that show up in a search for me to bother e-mailing her. Or mentions why she doesn't have a pic (something like "if I'm interested, I'll e-mail you a pic"). Also, if I see a post in a forum that says something I like, I might contact a girl without a pic. Not having a pic usually means the same to me as saying "Prefer Not To Say" under Marriage Status or Do You Do Drugs. In other words, I imagine the worst thing possible.
 trey65
Msg: 119
Posted: 3/31/2006 4:36:02 PM
not trying to hide anything, no undercover cop, the camera ended up in the bottom of the lake a couple of weeks ago when we went fishing and just haven't been able to get out to get a new one, guess I need to put it higher on my list, lol.
 jackyfrost01
Msg: 120
Posted: 3/31/2006 5:00:04 PM
"chances are that if you have a few pictures they are more than likely the person they say they are"

Not necessarily. Anyone can go to Webshots or Botfolio and collect all the pics they want of someone's family vacation and play it off as their own. Those are photo album storage sites where people store their personal pictures, and many people do not set them up as private. And there's nothing protecting the pictures from the ole right click and save.
 Roxie Hart
Msg: 121
Posted: 3/31/2006 10:08:41 PM
""""ROXIE,
It does matter for the undercover cop because the people who think he's someone else (the bad guys) might see it and find out what he really is: a cop, a KILL him or at the very least make it harder for the police to solve the case he's on.

You may well be right, but no one can guarantee that the people he's working against will not see him on here, nor is it worth his job or life to take that risk for a free internet dating site.""""

DEAL WITH IT: I think you may be watching too many murder mysterires LOL first off undercover cops would never reveal that's what they do for a living. look around and see how many people don't even state what they do for a living, I don't and I'm no undercover cop or detective. So a picture alone says dyck-all, furthermore it does not jeapordize a person's work, sorry I disagree in that case. I only see it as a problem a some people said their pictures were used to form fake profiles THAt is a real concern.

JACKFROST: sure they can and you might never know until you meet them. I've looked at guys pictures who looked like they have "psycho eyes" watched what they had to say and totally decided I was not interested just based on that. I was right. you use your intuition. generally speaking a person who is honest will send you more pics of them once you speak to them. I have never shown up and seen someone misrepresented. I had one guy who seemed like he could be lying and most those people can not keep up with their lies. I had asked him a question about something in the backgound of a picture since I was suspicious it was a phoney and a month later we were talking again and asked him the same question but changed the answer to make it seem like he has said something else, he fell for it. so he was lying, he didn't remember what he told me the first time and that is how I caught him. just be smart that's all. of course you can't control the outcome of every situation but use your judgement.

Picture is 100 times better than no picture.
 jiszam
Msg: 122
Posted: 4/1/2006 10:48:06 AM
Besides if they got killed...that would be good and then the rest of us could have fun without having to worry about accidentally getting to know a cop..
 Ratero-park-man
Msg: 123
Posted: 4/1/2006 11:08:10 AM
{Seems like there is a trend on POF where men (I don't look at the profiles of too many ladies, so can't comment on women) are deciding not to post their pictures. It sure makes communication a lot nicer to know who you are responding to...know what I mean? }

I know what you mean, sort off. It's still good to know a person.

would you rather have someone post a fake pic?, Probably not, so sometimes we have to chill and just get to know someone and then when we do see their pic, don't reject them because of there looks.

Lets play nice.
 Mystery Girl333
Msg: 124
view profile
History
Posted: 4/1/2006 11:12:13 AM
I do agree with planthehip's explanation of the no photo thing. I myself do not have a photo up, but I'll send a photo to someone I've exchanged conversation with. The no photo advantage is that people get to know your profile a little better and if still interested they message you, the disadvantage is that you have to put a little more effort because you have to email them, then you have to request their photo, then review to see if you match, but sometimes it's really worth it! It's best to ask for a photo before you meet, is a dating must for those who are looking for a particular look(not to sound shallow but some of us have a mental picture of the type of look we want, and it's hard to find it)so remember even the shy ones without a photo could end up being your match if given the opportunity!!! Anyway think about how many people with photos you have met and had no luck!!! Try it !!!
 OAS500
Msg: 125
Posted: 4/1/2006 12:17:58 PM
Well, if there isnt a photo i usually wonder if they dont have a pic or just are afraid to put one up there.
If i exchange e-mails/ do phone conversation thing i mostly ask for a pic.

Although, i met a lady last week from this site who didnt have a pic posted.
We e-mailed, then chatted on the phone (she contacted me actually! lol!)
And i was sorta wondering (while waiting in the parking lot) if she was gonna be a "10" or a "1"! LOL!
She sounded nice on the phone, and is very intelligent, smart, and witty.
And lo and behold she was very cute as well!
I hope the feeling was mutual, as i would definetly like to continue seeing her.

So dont always count someone out if they dont have a pic posted.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > What's Up With NO PHOTOS?