Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > FAQ: Pay to Read Sent Status of Emails      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Victor_Frankenstein
Msg: 136
Gold Fish required now to see sent message status? READ THIS !!! Page 16 of 20    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20)
Interesting.

I've not been on this site but maybe a week, and I had seen that my sent message status was up and running - read, deleted, whatever. So when I saw this thread it struck me as odd.

Now I double back and what do you know, it's "Pay to assuage your vanity" on mine as well.

No, really. You want to know if you're being paid attention to.

If you send a message and the person on the other end values communication with you they'll answer it. If they don't answer it right away, don't let your blood pressure rise - some people have actual "Other Things To Do", and aren't always checking their virtual mailbox.

That being said, if you haven't been answered for days and you see that they're online it's well within your rights to send another message. If that one's not answered either then there IS a message being sent - you need to move on.

When I idly tried upgrading to "SEERYUS MEMBER" status and was belatedly told said status would cost me it confirmed what I'd only suspected before, that POF is a ruse.
They build up the idea that you're regarded as overly casual unless you upgrade, and the world's leaders will come calling when you do.

Right. You answer some ridiculous psych questions you "Agreed/Disagreed" with and they congratulate you on your ability to hold a relationship and now can announce to the world that you were only messing around before but now are earnestly seeking a relationship. And everyone who disdained your notes simply because you had no peanut butter cup stating your renewed devotion will instantly rethink their previous gaffe.

Most see this for what it is, but a few buy into it. Or they feel that they have to somehow validate all that honesty they poured into the psych test.
Me, I lied outrageously. Then, when they came with the "OH, BY THE WAY SORRY BUT WE FORGOT TO TELL YOU ON THE WAY IN THAT THERE'S A COST TO ALL THIS RENEWED RESPECT" I laughed and rewrote my profile.

The reason they don't even want you MENTIONING other sites outside the group of sites POF belongs to is because they won't have a shot at your money there. And this bait - and - switch/" free bells an' whistles" then pull them away - all of this is ugly, ugly, psychological manipulation designed with profit in mind.

That you folks seem to be exhibiting outright shock, anger, or an actual sense of loss is sort of amusing. You're reacting as if you were being disenfranchised, thrown out into the street, told you were being outsourced - all "real world" issues that cause you REAL hardship.

Sheesh, this is hardly the only site you and your cyberfriends can push each others' buttons on. And since you didn't put up a chunk of money - what have you lost you can't easily regain?
 Beardydude
Msg: 137
view profile
History
Gold Fish required now to see sent message status? READ THIS !!!
Posted: 12/13/2010 7:07:59 AM
GRR!

I have no issues with being charged for NEW functionality, but suddenly pulling an old feature out from under our feet and start trying to charge for it is BAD!
 HawkingJr
Msg: 138
view profile
History
Gold Fish required now to see sent message status???!!!!
Posted: 12/13/2010 8:03:16 AM
From that article Lockerz86 linked:

'Frind is aware of his site's flaws but isn't eager to fix them. "There's no point in making trivial adjustments," he says. Frind's approach -- and the reason he spends so little time actually working -- is to do no harm. This has two virtues: First, you can't waste money if you are not doing anything. And second, on a site this big and this complex, it is impossible to predict how even the smallest changes might affect the bottom line. Fixing the wonky images, for instance, might actually hurt Plenty of Fish. Right now, users are compelled to click on people's profiles in order to get to the next screen and view proper headshots. That causes people to view more profiles and allows Frind, who gets paid by the page view, to serve more ads. "The site works," he says. "Why should I change what works?"

Frind has resisted adding other commonly requested features, such as chatrooms and video profiles, on the same grounds. "I don't listen to the users," he says. "The people who suggest things are the vocal minority who have stupid ideas that only apply to their little niches." Instead, Frind has focused his energy on making the site better at matching people. When a member starts browsing through profiles, the site records his or her preferences and then narrows down its 10 million users to a more manageable group of potential mates. "Users never see the whole database," Frind says. "It gets smaller and more focused on what you're actually looking for." In other words, if you tell Plenty of Fish you want to date blond nonsmokers but spend all your time gawking at nicotine-addled brunettes, the program will adjust. "People think they know who the perfect person is, but that's not always who they really want," he says. Frind estimates, based on exit surveys, that the site creates 800,000 successful relationships a year.'

I suggest reading that whole article if you REALLY want to get riled up. However, until I got to those two paragraphs, all I kept thinking was, "This guy works on this site only an hour a day? Surely he could find time in those other 23 hours to fix some of this site's problems!" Then I got to those two paragraphs, and I guess you could say he flipped me off.

I'm not sure the point in hiring programmers then if you have no interest in improving the site. Seems like just a wasted use of his $5M+ a year in profits. I also find it quite puzzling that he needs to start charging for anything all of the sudden, based on that article (which was written AFTER the economy collapsed, so I doubt that has anything to do with his sudden need for revenue; I wonder how much that office rental is...). I mean, greed is good and all, but that article is borderline chilling.

I still don't see what would be the big deal in fixing a few of the site's longtime mistakes. Like the "trivial adjustment" of changing the single selection drop-down boxes at the top of the page in advance search to some sort of multiple selection form such as those at the bottom of the page so you can search for "Catholic," "Anglican," "Methodist" and "Christian-Other" or "Caucasian," "European," and "Hispanic," in a single search, just like you can with "Body Type" and "Education." I mean, really, how nice would that "stupid idea" be for the "vocal minority" of the site's users -- and would that really cause the site's revenue model to crash? Well, that seems to be what he's saying, yet plenty of FAR more radical and riskier moves than that have been made lately... like, arguably, the one this thread is about.

That article was definitely highly informative (especially compared to what we often read in the forums about the site's inner runnings) and I thank Locker for posting it and Markus for honestly answering the interview questions.

And we'll see how long this post lasts...
 Nored239
Msg: 139
view profile
History
Gold Fish required now to see sent message status???!!!!
Posted: 12/13/2010 10:48:34 AM
I guess I don't care, I know that Markus makes a killing on the click through on this site, all I want to know is why I don't get the forum menu option when I log in. lol I'm not going to pay to see if someone read an email or not, if they read it and reply fine if they read it and don't, oh well move on. Now if he wants to charge to access the site or to view profiles or contact then we will have issues. Yeah its dumb but maybe he has something good coming out of it besides his wallet getting fatter.
 JaxFlorida
Msg: 140
view profile
History
Posted: 12/15/2010 2:50:07 PM
At http://www.plentyoffish.com header says "Free Online Dating".

Most dating sites say this. It means Free to sign up. Only until you are member of any site is when you discover Not Everything is Free. Meaning certain features they don't talk about on home pages are Not disclosed as paying features until you sign up and start using it.

In my opinion any site, including POF who states "Free" is deceiving. You sign up, become a member then find out all features are Not free.

The word Free draws people in and probably good for getting members (but false) advertising or statements.

I'm not too concerned about the New Paying feature to see if emails are read. I'm more concerned about More Paying features coming in the future we don't know about yet. It may take awhile but I see POF becoming more of a paid site for other features in the future.

I understand nobody except Big Fish knows what is coming in the future as far as paying for things. Changes are always surprises no matter what they are or when they happen.

Wonder when more features you have to pay for will stop POF from saying Free Dating Site? Maybe the header on the home page and other areas should say Free To Sign Up instead.

Dpilot1
Msg: 141
Posted: 12/15/2010 5:45:10 PM
I just noticed the goldfish. Funny I thought it was my fault for being sarcastic to a possible moderator here! LOL paranoia runs deep.
 Maltese_CanadianGuy
Msg: 142
Posted: 12/16/2010 12:59:14 AM
I haven't been here in months, I just sent someone a message and noticed I cant see if it's read. What a joke. Was this necessary? The people running this site I think wants to drive people away, who the hell pays for this crap?
 JaxFlorida
Msg: 143
view profile
History
Posted: 12/16/2010 2:38:56 PM

you want a better site try "date hook up dot com" its free and you can do so much more there you can have colors, a music play list your pictures are better looking then in plenty of fish you need a magnifying glass to view some of these, as for date hook up its HTML coded so your in charge in how you want your layout to be and its all FREE FREE FREE Get it Markus FREE when you change things people get upset...

Agree the above mentioned "other" site has it's advantages. Forums are active and moderated. Therefore nicer to each other. I've seen threads disappear were bashing was going on etc.. Forums have a large subject matter to choose from. Even each State, UK, interests groups have a place to interact. There's even a Farmers group (for example).

POF may have a larger user base of members but the "other" site has good things about it also.
 Boopop
Msg: 144
view profile
History
Posted: 12/19/2010 6:18:33 AM
Out of interest, when's this site going to become not free at all? First this, then what? It's a slippery slope to go from charging for one feature to charging for all useful features. First this, next we'll only be able to send "notes" to other people, comprising of pre-selected useless messages like a lot of other dating sites. It's one thing introducing extra features for people who pay some money towards keeping the site running, it's quite another REMOVING features slowly from users, forcing them to pay in order to get the same functionality they got when they signed up. Perhaps this site is secretly a 2 year trial in disguise or something? :(
 MNFriend4U
Msg: 145
view profile
History
Posted: 12/19/2010 1:44:05 PM
This is WRONG.
For one - while it is OK to charge for features - most sites do - it is Inappropriate to, without prior approval impose this charge upon existing members. This is like buying a car and being told 5 years After we bought it that we now need to pay to drive it. Paying for 'preferred status' - getting our 'results' highlighted should be enough - what with I'm sure, all the pay-per-click ads too from the many curious millions of members... why add this very annoying change. Used to be - reputable sites would 'grandfather in' those already registered (by a simple 'did they join before this date query) and only charge new members for changes...

Yes, I have been on POF for around 5 years... and considering I have messaged just about every nice profile in my area (it has been years since my 'match results' shows anyone 'local'...) - I had already but given up. Every now and then I see a post on CL and unhide my POF profile so this new person could learn more about me via a 'free' introductory page.

Now, I reply to some new people I see on POF that maybe might be interested and I cannot see if they have even read my message. Despite the harshness of 'Read - Deleted' - it is a relief to know they were not interested... now - we wonder forever. And by this sites own comment - that 'Users often view a profile before even reading a message'... so NOW - without paying out $ - we will never know if they just read our profile and ignore our message - or read it and didn't like it... I mean, after all - we could have put something important in our message, like 'Hey, I just won the lottery - wanna go to Paris with me'... LOL... really though, if that happened - we wouldn't put it on our profile - right!

Another reason - I Love this free site as I am financially strapped - unable to divorce let alone pay for goldfish at this time... this should not make a difference to someone who seeks a true friend in the long run... but now, I cannot even find out if someone cared enough to even read my message. There are other free sites... maybe I'll make one myself...

Gripe - gripe... guess I'll hide my profile again until the owner removes this change, or someone finally hires me, I pay off my student loans, the car loan, the credit-cards, and my kid's educational expenses...

And again.... if they did not REPLY they are not interested for whatever reason. You do not need to pay to know how you were rejected. That is all you would be doing! Anyone interested would of replied and your answer would be in your inbox. Quit even looking at your sent messages.
 shyntallguy
Msg: 146
view profile
History
Gold Fish required now to see sent message status?
Posted: 12/23/2010 7:13:09 AM
It's bad enough I've gotten tons of spam since I joined, do ya think they sell our info?
Now to pay for checking mail.
Will we be charged to view profiles soon?
Anyway,
Merry Christmas everyone.
 shyntallguy
Msg: 147
view profile
History
Posted: 12/23/2010 7:46:40 AM
Not the point "cowboy", just a new charge and it probably won't stop there. I don't care about viewing read or not, just don't like getting their foot in the door.
 hansomeone01
Msg: 148
view profile
History
Posted: 12/25/2010 5:13:25 AM
Either way.........

It is still advertised as a 100% FREE site.

Thats clearly false advertising because its not 100% free at all !

Agreed. I figured eventually he would have to change the advertising to say something like "100 percent free to find your soul mate". All you need for that is a free profile, pics and the ability to send and receive messages here for free and search. All the rest is just extra junk.

You sure do not need to see the sent status to find your soul mate. Only to see how you were rejected. I can not see for the life of me why anyone would pay for this or even whine about it being unavailable anymore. Beyond useless. Quit watching your sent messages! Delete them after sending them. Nothing matters once it is sent other than receiving a reply in your inbox.

Unfortunately the EASIEST thing for him would be to keep the advertising as is and drop the feature all together. Less clutter and lower processing required for the system etc... lol And after all the derogatory posts in this thread claiming he had no right to do this on a site he OWNS and CONTROLS I would not be surprised at ALL if that was how he handled it. Nothing surprises me anymore that happens here. But telling Admin he can't or should not do something or threatening him with anything is the worst way to handle it based on my experience here over the last 4+ years anyway.

He does not base his decisions on what we think. Pure and Simple.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 149
Posted: 12/25/2010 8:07:59 AM

it was made an option to check and see if someone else had READ or DELETED you email. Which no one should be worrying about anyway it is useless info 98 percent of the time.

Agreed. What DOES checking to see what someone did with your message accomplish anyway - to the point where this many pages had to be posted to complain it's gone? Once it's sent it's sent. What does tracking it accomplish? It was one of the least important and most stressful (as evidenced by the tons of threads about it) features of this site. Not sure why anyone's this peeved that it's missing.
 Boon100
Msg: 150
Posted: 12/25/2010 10:04:17 PM
its ok people chillax. this is the most affordable dating site there is out there and has very little advertising. obviously markus has got to make money somehow. if people like u, they will reply. if not and so on.
 JerseyGirl2008
Msg: 151
Posted: 12/27/2010 5:44:17 AM
I'm amazed at the sense of SELF ENTITLEMENT I've been reading for the last 18 or so pages in this thread.

The guy GAVE US a site to use for FREE. He didn't OWE us anything and still DOESN'T. He found other ways to generate revenue for the site by charging ad space to advertisers instead of making it a pay site. If he's made millions or billions, I say he's a genius - more power to him. I'm reading comments stating, "he's still making more than enough, even if ad revenue is down! Where does he get off charging US to see if our email was read?" Well who the hell are any of US to decide when he's made enough revenue from this site? I cracked up when I read a ludicrous comment along the lines of, "if he's able to GET AWAY WITH THIS, then it's only a matter of time before....."

"Get away" with it? It's HIS SITE - he can do what he wants and too damned bad if no one likes it. Unbelieveable.

I'm amazed at how self entiteled everyone's acting - as though Markus somehow OWES everyone a free ride for life. He doesn't owe anyone squat.

BINGO! We have a winner. Please step to the front and collect your prize little lady.

I too would find it amusing (if it were not truly pathetic) all the posters here wanting to decide how much money someone else is able to profit from a business that he created and have for years provided a service for free to everyone. And now wants to charge a friggin DIME for some goofy optional service that no one really "needs". Amazing how many feel they are now "entitled" to this free service for life. Just amazing...
 rpm440
Msg: 152
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 12/30/2010 9:57:38 AM
Agree with all the other angry users.
This is nonsense and I, like the others, am mad as hell.

A sensible way to implement this, would be to allow users to EARN credits based on site use, tenure, etc. But Im pretty sure NOBODY is going to PAY for a feature on a supposedly free site. This was a cool feature, and its a shame that some misguided soul decided to turn this into a pay-feature. Unfortunately, as I am sure you will learn, rather than generating revenue as intended, this is just going to alienate users, and send them to your competition. At the very least you should grandfather in users that have been on the site, rather than taking features away. Very poor management call.

POF Admin: Quit while you are ahead, admit your mistake, and put the feature back to the way it was. Do it now.
 psmith1905
Msg: 153
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 12/31/2010 7:58:22 PM
I couldn't agree more. I've been on this site for several months now and can't believe I need to pay for this feature. It's not the 8cents I'm angry about, it's the $9.95 I need to pay to get the 8 cent credit...100% free? I don't think so. I've seen this same feature on xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for free among other things...I think it's time for a change

Suggest you go spam for clients elsewhere!
 MixedChick
Msg: 154
view profile
History
Posted: 1/10/2011 2:42:09 PM
I would assume with the nearly 200, 000 people online right now that Markus should be making a whole heap of money off of the advertisements on the site. Don't online advertisers pay per view/click?
I just think its rude to Tout this site as completely free then slowly work in fees and costs. It might even be acceptable to charge for new things they implement but don't take away things we already had and start charging for them. that's just stank.
 PaMike1200
Msg: 155
view profile
History
What's The Big Deal?
Posted: 1/28/2011 5:33:08 PM
While I was dissapointed that I can no longer see if an email is read without paying, it's not that important. What is important is that I can send and read my emails without dishing out $$. With most other paid sites you pay monthly to send emails and if the other person is not a paying member, they can not reply. Those other sites also have millions of members but you are lucky to find 10 other paying members in your area.
 jaymzknight
Msg: 156
view profile
History
FAQ: Pay to Read Sent Status of Emails
Posted: 3/13/2012 4:22:31 PM
I've suggested a boycott!!
I will be leaving this site if this service is not restored. I encourage all users to join with me. This isn't the only game in town.
Of course as a user I can have an opinion on this! I am voting with my time and with what pof wants, my money! Lol!

Anyone else??
 KAL95
Msg: 157
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2012 4:32:33 PM
I agree , not free anymore , probably time to move on to something more productive , pay to see who checked out your profile ; not a chance .
 tyrelsackett
Msg: 159
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2012 4:46:30 PM
 Samhein
Msg: 160
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2012 6:47:57 PM
Should fix the mailbox giving either false New Message alerts or deleting mails randomly before you start charging for new things.
 Vivek_Golikeri
Msg: 161
view profile
History
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 3/13/2012 6:51:17 PM
Because this site is free, I have not deleted my profile. Frankly, the response I have gotten on POF is far inferior to other sites. I guess you get what you pay for. But if it starts costing just to stay on, I will delete it. Let advertising carry the site. Facebook attempted to charge and members raised a big furore. Facebook backed down.

If Markus Frind starts getting that greedy, I won't pay up. I'll just shut down and use better sites.
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > FAQ: Pay to Read Sent Status of Emails