Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > FAQ: Pay to Read Sent Status of Emails      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 rpm440
Msg: 331
Gold Fish???!!!!Page 19 of 20    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20)
Agree with all the other angry users.
This is nonsense and I, like the others, am mad as hell.

A sensible way to implement this, would be to allow users to EARN credits based on site use, tenure, etc. But Im pretty sure NOBODY is going to PAY for a feature on a supposedly free site. This was a cool feature, and its a shame that some misguided soul decided to turn this into a pay-feature. Unfortunately, as I am sure you will learn, rather than generating revenue as intended, this is just going to alienate users, and send them to your competition. At the very least you should grandfather in users that have been on the site, rather than taking features away. Very poor management call.

POF Admin: Quit while you are ahead, admit your mistake, and put the feature back to the way it was. Do it now.
 Butterfly~Effect
Msg: 332
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 12/30/2010 11:28:41 AM
POF Admin: Quit while you are ahead, admit your mistake, and put the feature back to the way it was. Do it now.

LOL...what do you think Admin is going to do? Look at your demand and think "Geez this angry FREE user is demanding it and has written his demand down ....so it must be done?" Good luck buddy!

OR...you can be a big boy...stop throwing a tantrum and just deal with the fact that WHEN THE WOMAN DOESN'T RESPOND.....she is not interested!! Plain and simple!!

The sent message folder option was just a 'stalking' tool anyway for fools that needed to see what someone did with thier message...so they could just get pissy when their message was deleted. I'm glad it's gone!!

As another poster pointed out.....I NOW can do with the emails what I want...without some whiny man asking me why I did or didn't read/delete his message. Because OBVIOUSLY....if I don't respond...again...just not interested! sheeshhhhh some of you people!!
 psmith1905
Msg: 333
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 12/31/2010 7:58:22 PM
I couldn't agree more. I've been on this site for several months now and can't believe I need to pay for this feature. It's not the 8cents I'm angry about, it's the $9.95 I need to pay to get the 8 cent credit...100% free? I don't think so. I've seen this same feature on xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for free among other things...I think it's time for a change

Suggest you go spam for clients elsewhere!
 Indyssidelady
Msg: 334
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 1/1/2011 10:04:37 PM
I agree. It IS annoying. Before the change, there were at least three times where I saw my message was read, but not responded to. Out of curiosity, I re-e-mailed them asking why there was no response. I was told they did respond (but I never got the response). Twice, we actually ended up in a relationship.

With us not knowing if the message was read, how do we know whether or not to pursue a possibly meaningful relationship?
 TheToefactor
Msg: 335
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 1/1/2011 11:48:03 PM
"We could care less about how much money Plentyoffish.com might make; this site is different. We did not create our site to mine member's pocketbooks. Plentyoffish.com is here to make a difference in helping people find "their one"!

Say one thing do another I guess.
 charlie_girl_2
Msg: 336
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 1/4/2011 5:57:39 AM
This site isn't free to run. I have no problems with them designating certain features as pay to play as long as viewing and emailing members remains free. They people behind this site have to make money somehow. There aren't a lot of ads on here so I know they're not making it that way.

Not true! The "not free to run" This site and the man (NOT "they") who started it has been publicized many times in the media as being "very rich" and "laughing all the way to the bank." And that was before he required our income and before all the ads started showing up.

If he wants to charge a fee to see if mail is read, oh, well. His privilege. But whatever happened to one shouldn't have to "pay" to find love? I don't see that being displayed on POF any more. Hey, even the moderators are volunteers.

As far as the ads are concerned... they are everywhere and in our face on our profiles.
This site MAKES money. Now, perhaps, in a bit of rivalry with the man who started Facebook. They are both very rich! Perhaps "a race" for more? Bigger? Better?

As far as I am concerned, it doesn't matter if anyone reads and deletes or just deletes my mail. Their loss, not mine. I usually delete the send anyway so I won't know, so... with the new feature, I don't have to wonder. I'm just content that POF is free, at least is so, for now.

Remember with the other sites, you have no way of knowing if they have read your mail or can even respond if they are NOT members themselves. Interest in emailing them just gets lost in cyber space. No, I will stick with POF until it's changed so much that it isn't fun being here anymore, if not before.

go2the1
Msg: 337
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 1/6/2011 9:00:29 AM
I agree this is crap we have to pray they read it and if they do not we can be blocked for being an ass and harassing them with 30 notes because they do not want to talk to us.as soon as they stop leting us talk I am gone off of pof garbage:modhammer:
 go2the1
Msg: 338
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 1/6/2011 9:16:04 AM
the guy or women that wrote (msg447 and 450 adress issues you raised her again) You need to be able to read the man is makeing a point.If you do not have a question or answer then say nothing . I think the man is right and that is it. quit trying to argue.
 LoonyK
Msg: 339
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 1/6/2011 9:43:41 AM
just noticed this feature this week, obviously I hadn't been paying much attention to sent messages since this has been around for a little while. I can do without this feature, but I don't like where this is leading. I have been a part of this community off and on during past 3 years and every change that I have experienced on here has made this site worse. The meet me, marriage, most likely to respond, and many other features are worthless. I think if a site isn't broken, don't go around tinkering with it to mess it up.
 DrummingNut
Msg: 340
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 1/8/2011 7:07:03 AM
^^ I would never send card details to ANY site that wasn't secure.
This one is NOT secure enough for me to even think about it.. nope.
Not that I would anyway, lol.

Now that it's been awhile with this new 'feature'... I have found that I LIKE IT.
I quite agree with this...
Thank goodness! Now I can finally read, not read and delete e-mails without having to worry about hurting someone's feelings. There are a few things about this site that are pretty invasive, and being able to see what I do with your e-mail is one of them. I'm happy to have some privacy in that realm now. As for what anyone chooses to do with mine? I couldn't care less. If I don't hear back from you, you are clearly not interested. Period.
 bigrrrrr71
Msg: 341
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 1/9/2011 9:41:12 PM
Well when u charge 4 anything that don't make it a free site now does it people....
 MixedChick
Msg: 342
view profile
History
Gold Fish required now to see sent message status? READ THIS !!!
Posted: 1/10/2011 2:42:09 PM
I would assume with the nearly 200, 000 people online right now that Markus should be making a whole heap of money off of the advertisements on the site. Don't online advertisers pay per view/click?
I just think its rude to Tout this site as completely free then slowly work in fees and costs. It might even be acceptable to charge for new things they implement but don't take away things we already had and start charging for them. that's just stank.
 johndoe62626227
Msg: 343
Posted: 1/10/2011 7:09:10 PM
I didn't like that they took away the "free" from free site either, but it IS their choice. That said, the only real way to deliver a message is through their pocket book. Their IS another free site mentioned on one of the first pages of this thread that offers all the services this site does completely free.... Just voting through the pocket book....
 barrieguy4fwb
Msg: 344
Posted: 1/10/2011 8:06:23 PM
I totally agree. It's nice to now be able to read and delete without having to worry about it. Great new feature!!!

I send a message, they like, they respond, they dont, no harm no foul.

When the change happend, i was a bit miffed but now i spend less time wondering why someone deleted it.

Kudo's to Marcus for adding the user was online xx minutes ago feature. At least you know that they may have read and seen it!

I get that most of you are upset that things will become paid, If it does, it does. It's been a free ride for many years. Like you have have been directly involved in the POF parties, and we chose to put them on, the parties really don't promote the site. They promote ourselves.! So he doesnt owe us anything.

For customer service reasons, yes, I would have liked a heads up about the changes ahead of time, but really. Who cares people. It's a dating site!!!!

Maybe the energy used in complaining should be put to better use, helping the homeless or being a volunteer at an abused womens shelter.

I know i'll get flamed for this post, but just wanted to add my own 2 goldfish umm i mean cents!

Herb1953
Msg: 345
view profile
History
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 1/20/2011 12:04:55 PM
This whole deal is a reflection of the general economy - I am sure PoF's hosting costs have increased while its ad revenues have decreased so Markus has decided to make the information of what someone you sent an email to did with it something you have to pay for.

And my experience in general with online systems over the past 25 years leads me not to expect too much in the lines of transparency or responsiveness to what the users really want.

This system reminds me a lot of the old BBSes which were fairly common before the Internet opened up in the mid-1990s to general public access.

BBSes were usually run as a hobby by one SYSOP - many SYSOPS were remarkably thin-skinned when it came to users posting on their message boards about shortcomings of the BBS; namely too many complaints and access was revoked!
 PaMike1200
Msg: 346
view profile
History
What's The Big Deal?
Posted: 1/28/2011 5:33:08 PM
While I was dissapointed that I can no longer see if an email is read without paying, it's not that important. What is important is that I can send and read my emails without dishing out $$. With most other paid sites you pay monthly to send emails and if the other person is not a paying member, they can not reply. Those other sites also have millions of members but you are lucky to find 10 other paying members in your area.
 Life_Is_Better
Msg: 347
What's The Big Deal?
Posted: 1/29/2011 7:02:40 PM
The actual eight cents is no big deal IF I was able to pay in cash. BUT... I have to use a credit card. I wonder just what use could someone make of having my credit card number? Forgive me, but I see something nefarious here. I agree with many other comments on this post, that this is the thin edge of the wedge. But it all comes down to why those running this site are after eight cents... granted if a million users sent eight cents each it all adds up... but who in their right mind is going to compromise their credit card for something like this??
 pomolive
Msg: 348
Gold Fish required now to see sent message status???!!!!
Posted: 2/23/2011 4:15:26 PM
So if so many people 20 pages worth of people think that locking up the ability to see if the person has read your e-mail why in the world has pof not switched back to the old format???????????????????????????

Lets see.... 18 MILLION profiles. A 20 page thread with maybe 150 people actually whining. And you expected changes? your kidding me right? I have posted over and over that this thread is USELESS. Does not matter what you want. Does not matter if it grows to 1000 pages. They ONLY THING that would of changed his mind would of been a HUGE drop in membership. No protest threads in the forums will ever change a thing on this site.

Cowboy
 jaymzknight
Msg: 349
view profile
History
FAQ: Pay to Read Sent Status of Emails
Posted: 3/13/2012 4:22:31 PM
I've suggested a boycott!!
I will be leaving this site if this service is not restored. I encourage all users to join with me. This isn't the only game in town.
Of course as a user I can have an opinion on this! I am voting with my time and with what pof wants, my money! Lol!

Anyone else??
 KAL95
Msg: 350
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2012 4:32:33 PM
I agree , not free anymore , probably time to move on to something more productive , pay to see who checked out your profile ; not a chance .
 JustRightFor1
Msg: 351
Posted: 3/13/2012 4:45:13 PM
Think about this - this thread was started roughly *2* years ago, and nothing's changed since then. Apparently POF hasn't made enough money selling "Goldfish" to the users, so they are going to continue to cripple the site some more.

Simply put, they don't care about the users.

They care about the money.
 tyrelsackett
Msg: 352
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2012 4:46:30 PM
 Sherlock121
Msg: 353
Posted: 3/13/2012 6:46:22 PM
I've read several of the comments here and have to voice a few facts. POF is still owned by Markus not some other media company, "it's his media company."
In 2006 he was making 10.000 a day from adsense and in 2008 was making 10 million a year for a 10 hour work week. I doubt he will do away with ads anytime soon.

In my opinion charging for a few features is just plain greed and a easy way to boost profits but this time I think he is shooting himself in the foot, "why change something when it's working?"

Taking away the "Viewed me" feature is just too much. It's a very important feature for many and will hurt this site more than he knows. It was important for me anyway and I won't be visiting this site nearly as much and I'm sure the declined numbers will also show the advertisers ....

I wonder what the chances are that he will change it back???
 Samhein
Msg: 354
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2012 6:47:57 PM
Should fix the mailbox giving either false New Message alerts or deleting mails randomly before you start charging for new things.
 Vivek_Golikeri
Msg: 355
view profile
History
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 3/13/2012 6:51:17 PM
Because this site is free, I have not deleted my profile. Frankly, the response I have gotten on POF is far inferior to other sites. I guess you get what you pay for. But if it starts costing just to stay on, I will delete it. Let advertising carry the site. Facebook attempted to charge and members raised a big furore. Facebook backed down.

If Markus Frind starts getting that greedy, I won't pay up. I'll just shut down and use better sites.
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > FAQ: Pay to Read Sent Status of Emails