Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > FAQ: Pay to Read Sent Status of Emails      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Rabbitman49
Msg: 26
Gold Fish???!!!!Page 2 of 20    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20)
Re - Reply #10: Having to PAY to find out one's message was "unread deleted" seems to me to be the final INSULT. Way to rub it in, admin!

I wouldn't be surprised if Pepperidge Farm has to step up goldfish production in the near future, leading to someone's residence being filled with them from floor to ceiling....
 March2492001
Msg: 27
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 12/5/2010 5:12:44 PM
JohnZ719

They advertise it as "100% free" it has nothing to do with entitlement
 Garnets1
Msg: 28
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 12/5/2010 5:14:08 PM

Whatever. It's annoying and for 8 cents?
Datehookup....sounds good. I have taken long breaks from this site, time for another, and a permanent one
 rocketship51
Msg: 29
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 12/5/2010 5:23:47 PM
I agree that the writing is on the wall as to the future for this "free" site. Yes...WHAT are those other 99 credits going to be good for? Run rabbit run... :)

As another poster said, the ONLY "upside" I see to this is....people will stop worrying what the various msgs "mean" (read/deleted, read/undeleted, unread/deleted!!!!). It was probably seeing so many threads about those topics in the forums that gave Markus the idea that charging for people to find out what had become of their sent msg was a money-maker......

Really....the only thing that matters is...if you get a reply. Now, when he starts charging users to read those....oy!!!!!! That will really be the end of POF.
 whatthisagain73
Msg: 30
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 12/5/2010 5:33:00 PM
That's not really the point is it? Obviously many many users used this feature and now that it has been taken away, well you can see that people aren't happy about it. If Admin decided to charge for this feature, then obviously he saw this as an important feature.
IF you don't care about it, that's fine, but as you can see with the backlash, I think most users are having a problem with this.
 Thomas445
Msg: 31
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 12/5/2010 5:33:08 PM
TOTALLY AGREE !!!!!!! and NO warning !!! THIS REALLY SUCKS
 sunniedaze4u
Msg: 32
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 12/5/2010 5:34:11 PM
What a totally stupid thing to do!!! So freakin cheesy! Someone must have had a lot of free time on their hands to think this on up!
 Thomas445
Msg: 33
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 12/5/2010 5:34:26 PM
Thanks for the info on the FREE site, I'm headed there now.
 Rediscovered49
Msg: 34
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 12/5/2010 5:44:38 PM
My scentiments exactly.....
What a God damned shame.
What made this site so wonderful and SUCCESSFUL is now a thing of the past.
I am NOT going to spend a single, solitary cent here.
If I'm going to HAVE TO spend money now, I will gladly spend it on bigger fish in the likes of Lava Life and Match.com
This is bullshit! What a way to thank all the loyal POF customers...
 Wildstarfall
Msg: 35
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 12/5/2010 5:44:53 PM
We shouldnt have to the site clearly says FREE online dating ! we where told when he created the upgrade your account thing that he wouldn't be taking things away from us only adding on other features for paid users well he has taken things away and its B.S he's clearly making false advertisement!
 JohnEDeep
Msg: 36
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 12/5/2010 5:47:59 PM
Just another nail in the coffin of "100% Free".

If I raised my prices in my business, I could only expect my clients to look elsewhere.

I originally found this site by typing "matchdotcom sucks" in Google. What would a new google search reveal...?

whatthisagain73
Msg: 37
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 12/5/2010 5:51:24 PM
People...Markus does NOT give a rat's ass about you or me or if we can find happiness from this site...ALL he cares about is money. Really, that's just the bottom line.
Maybe he'll realize his mistake when people start dropping off the site and his advertisers also start disappearing.
 Super_Eve
Msg: 38
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 12/5/2010 5:52:15 PM
Trappedonbaystreet said:

When they start charging for reading, sending and replying, then I may raise an eyebrow.

Just one?

What would it take to raise two?

And I mean this with the utmost respect....
 eyesof_blue
Msg: 39
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 12/5/2010 5:55:56 PM
EXACTLY! I dont' want to bug someone if they don't want to continue getting emails from me. But at the same time, I don't want to stop emailing someone who may not have gotten my last email. Being able to see if it's been read or not, or if it's been deleted is huge. And to have to pay, in essense, $10 for it (since that'd be the only thing I'd be buying "goldfish" for) is ridiculous. I'm very disappointed.
 UFan74
Msg: 40
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 12/5/2010 6:04:55 PM
how about OK CUPID dot com?
 Lobelia29
Msg: 41
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 12/5/2010 6:12:22 PM
I totally accept that sites have to make money somehow. And introducing a new feature that you have to pay for, I would understand.

But I have to agree with the upset that most people are displaying on this thread. We may not all be paying members.. but then this site was built on the premise that that didn't matter. We are still users of the site, and a head's up at least would have been appreciated. If it's getting to a point where they're losing money or not making enough, then sure, be honest, ask for donations, or if you insist on going ahead with something like this, make sure you write up a good release notice for it.

But I second the frustration at the maths involved.. $0.08x10 != $10.00

And the frustration that you only have the option of paying $10 for an $0.08 feature.

Even if there was a way to only pay the $0.08... I don't want to risk throwing my credit card information out there anymore often than I need to, with all the credit card fraud, stolen identities, etc. For a feature they want.. eight cents for?? Obviously more charges are coming.. but what a joke. This is a feature we've always had...

And I strongly agree with the people pointing out how useful this feature is. It allows you to stop wasting your time if someone has clearly lost interest. I check my Sent Msgs frequently. Also tells me how long it might have been between reading and replying, which is another measure of interest.

If you're that short on money from the site.. or are just greedy.. and I don't say that as a jab but just the reality of the way the world works, then fine. Be honest about it. Maybe even ask users on the forum what features they'd be willing to pay for. Or introduce new things at a charge.

But don't go behind everyone's back and throw out fishy maths to get us to overpay for a feature we've had no warning we'd lose.
 Irish Eyez
Msg: 42
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 12/5/2010 6:21:47 PM
If anything, it will save some grief from those who whine about 'read/delete' messages. This way, they won't SEE who deleted their messages. It's not ALL bad.
 itsthenewdc
Msg: 43
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 12/5/2010 6:23:45 PM
@Cowboy.. Apparently it mattered enough to charge for such a feature.

Only for those silly enough to think it ever mattered. Personally I don't think it is worth 10 cents. Even as a one time fee to unlock the feature for all messages.

Cowboy
 JohnZ719
Msg: 44
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 12/5/2010 6:26:53 PM
Loyal customer?

Customers buy things, you people are loyal users. There's a big difference.

Everybody has the right to voice their opinion but in the end, I'm not going to get upset when somebody tries to make money off of something they put so much work into.
 smartypants24
Msg: 45
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 12/5/2010 6:30:24 PM

The fact that the last two are still very much grey areas, they are not black or white, leaves the sender still uncertain what to do next. Does he/she follow up with another message (which the recipient may find irritating) and hope that there may be some level of interest, or does he/she just give in and move on?

I don't see a grey area in read/deleted AT ALL. If they were going to respond to your message, they would have done it BEFORE deleting the message.

I almost always delete all messages after I answer them, but if I'm interested, I do answer, otherwise I delete that puppy.
 Jer808
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 12/5/2010 6:54:29 PM
Why?
My name is Markus Frind and I created plentyoffish.com. I created this dating site because I was sick of seeing faceless corporations prey on people looking for love. In my mind finding love is not about handing over a monthly fee to some dating site that only cares about making sure you stay another month to pay them again.

We are Different
Plentyoffish.com is a 100% FREE online dating site and constantly changing based on your feedback, and you will notice everything on this online dating site is done so that you can meet people you have personally selected, and you can do it quickly. For example, we are the only major dating site that allows users to block messages from whole groups of other users they aren't interested in. No other dating site would do this as more individual contacts means more money.

Money? Who Cares
I am well aware that Plentyoffish.com could make millions of dollars per month as a subscription service. I couldn’t care less about how much money Plentyoffish.com could make; this site is different. This site wasn't created to mine user’s pocketbooks. Plentyoffish.com is here to make a difference and help people find "the one".

The old "about" section from here...right...so much for that...what are the other 99 gold fish going to be for? Hello pay-for-use site. Be interesting to see if POF is #1 like the new "about" section likes to boast about after these other pay-for-features emerge. The reason so many people came here was because it was FREE.

= $$$
 XtaylorX
Msg: 47
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 12/5/2010 7:05:09 PM
Yea this site is going to be sinking any time soon now,
This is fraud "oh yea this sites free" except theirs hidden strings attached around every little corner, once members start deleting their accounts the owner will realize that he sucks and that next time he has an opportunity like this he wont puck it up time to go back to Okay cupid!
 JohnZ719
Msg: 48
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 12/5/2010 7:10:54 PM
If PoF allows you to view profiles and send and receive emails free of charge then it's ahead of about 99% of all the other sites out there.
 Welsh474
Msg: 49
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 12/5/2010 7:12:58 PM
This is just as stupid as half the other changes made of late - the how serious are you, your income, that annoyed "is interested", and on and on. Is Markus so broke he needs that 8 cents? Why not get some clever ideas instead of these stupid things.
 chris/bubba
Msg: 50
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 12/5/2010 7:16:13 PM
To all of you who say getting a reply is all that matters, I must say this...
Some people don't log on to a computer all that often. So if a user only logs on once per month, it would be nice to see just "unread" rather than "show"
I'm not so sure. I'm willing to give this time to see how it goes, but I have been on this site for a couple years and this is the first time I have been compelled to post anything in the forums.
If "The Markus" wants to make more money, I could stand a few more ads. But IMHO the whole goldfish thing will be a serious blow to his site's hit#'s.
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > FAQ: Pay to Read Sent Status of Emails