Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > FAQ: Pay to Read Sent Status of Emails      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 MNFriend4U
Msg: 145
view profile
History
Gold Fish required now to see sent message status? READ THIS !!! Page 20 of 20    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20)
This is WRONG.
For one - while it is OK to charge for features - most sites do - it is Inappropriate to, without prior approval impose this charge upon existing members. This is like buying a car and being told 5 years After we bought it that we now need to pay to drive it. Paying for 'preferred status' - getting our 'results' highlighted should be enough - what with I'm sure, all the pay-per-click ads too from the many curious millions of members... why add this very annoying change. Used to be - reputable sites would 'grandfather in' those already registered (by a simple 'did they join before this date query) and only charge new members for changes...

Yes, I have been on POF for around 5 years... and considering I have messaged just about every nice profile in my area (it has been years since my 'match results' shows anyone 'local'...) - I had already but given up. Every now and then I see a post on CL and unhide my POF profile so this new person could learn more about me via a 'free' introductory page.

Now, I reply to some new people I see on POF that maybe might be interested and I cannot see if they have even read my message. Despite the harshness of 'Read - Deleted' - it is a relief to know they were not interested... now - we wonder forever. And by this sites own comment - that 'Users often view a profile before even reading a message'... so NOW - without paying out $ - we will never know if they just read our profile and ignore our message - or read it and didn't like it... I mean, after all - we could have put something important in our message, like 'Hey, I just won the lottery - wanna go to Paris with me'... LOL... really though, if that happened - we wouldn't put it on our profile - right!

Another reason - I Love this free site as I am financially strapped - unable to divorce let alone pay for goldfish at this time... this should not make a difference to someone who seeks a true friend in the long run... but now, I cannot even find out if someone cared enough to even read my message. There are other free sites... maybe I'll make one myself...

Gripe - gripe... guess I'll hide my profile again until the owner removes this change, or someone finally hires me, I pay off my student loans, the car loan, the credit-cards, and my kid's educational expenses...

And again.... if they did not REPLY they are not interested for whatever reason. You do not need to pay to know how you were rejected. That is all you would be doing! Anyone interested would of replied and your answer would be in your inbox. Quit even looking at your sent messages.
 shyntallguy
Msg: 146
view profile
History
Gold Fish required now to see sent message status?
Posted: 12/23/2010 7:13:09 AM
It's bad enough I've gotten tons of spam since I joined, do ya think they sell our info?
Now to pay for checking mail.
Will we be charged to view profiles soon?
Anyway,
Merry Christmas everyone.
 shyntallguy
Msg: 147
view profile
History
Posted: 12/23/2010 7:46:40 AM
Not the point "cowboy", just a new charge and it probably won't stop there. I don't care about viewing read or not, just don't like getting their foot in the door.
 hansomeone01
Msg: 148
view profile
History
Posted: 12/25/2010 5:13:25 AM
Either way.........

It is still advertised as a 100% FREE site.

Thats clearly false advertising because its not 100% free at all !

Agreed. I figured eventually he would have to change the advertising to say something like "100 percent free to find your soul mate". All you need for that is a free profile, pics and the ability to send and receive messages here for free and search. All the rest is just extra junk.

You sure do not need to see the sent status to find your soul mate. Only to see how you were rejected. I can not see for the life of me why anyone would pay for this or even whine about it being unavailable anymore. Beyond useless. Quit watching your sent messages! Delete them after sending them. Nothing matters once it is sent other than receiving a reply in your inbox.

Unfortunately the EASIEST thing for him would be to keep the advertising as is and drop the feature all together. Less clutter and lower processing required for the system etc... lol And after all the derogatory posts in this thread claiming he had no right to do this on a site he OWNS and CONTROLS I would not be surprised at ALL if that was how he handled it. Nothing surprises me anymore that happens here. But telling Admin he can't or should not do something or threatening him with anything is the worst way to handle it based on my experience here over the last 4+ years anyway.

He does not base his decisions on what we think. Pure and Simple.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 149
Gold Fish required now to see sent message status? READ THIS !!!
Posted: 12/25/2010 8:07:59 AM

it was made an option to check and see if someone else had READ or DELETED you email. Which no one should be worrying about anyway it is useless info 98 percent of the time.

Agreed. What DOES checking to see what someone did with your message accomplish anyway - to the point where this many pages had to be posted to complain it's gone? Once it's sent it's sent. What does tracking it accomplish? It was one of the least important and most stressful (as evidenced by the tons of threads about it) features of this site. Not sure why anyone's this peeved that it's missing.
 Boon100
Msg: 150
Posted: 12/25/2010 10:04:17 PM
its ok people chillax. this is the most affordable dating site there is out there and has very little advertising. obviously markus has got to make money somehow. if people like u, they will reply. if not and so on.
 JerseyGirl2008
Msg: 151
Posted: 12/27/2010 5:44:17 AM
I'm amazed at the sense of SELF ENTITLEMENT I've been reading for the last 18 or so pages in this thread.

The guy GAVE US a site to use for FREE. He didn't OWE us anything and still DOESN'T. He found other ways to generate revenue for the site by charging ad space to advertisers instead of making it a pay site. If he's made millions or billions, I say he's a genius - more power to him. I'm reading comments stating, "he's still making more than enough, even if ad revenue is down! Where does he get off charging US to see if our email was read?" Well who the hell are any of US to decide when he's made enough revenue from this site? I cracked up when I read a ludicrous comment along the lines of, "if he's able to GET AWAY WITH THIS, then it's only a matter of time before....."

"Get away" with it? It's HIS SITE - he can do what he wants and too damned bad if no one likes it. Unbelieveable.

I'm amazed at how self entiteled everyone's acting - as though Markus somehow OWES everyone a free ride for life. He doesn't owe anyone squat.

BINGO! We have a winner. Please step to the front and collect your prize little lady.

I too would find it amusing (if it were not truly pathetic) all the posters here wanting to decide how much money someone else is able to profit from a business that he created and have for years provided a service for free to everyone. And now wants to charge a friggin DIME for some goofy optional service that no one really "needs". Amazing how many feel they are now "entitled" to this free service for life. Just amazing...
 rpm440
Msg: 152
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 12/30/2010 9:57:38 AM
Agree with all the other angry users.
This is nonsense and I, like the others, am mad as hell.

A sensible way to implement this, would be to allow users to EARN credits based on site use, tenure, etc. But Im pretty sure NOBODY is going to PAY for a feature on a supposedly free site. This was a cool feature, and its a shame that some misguided soul decided to turn this into a pay-feature. Unfortunately, as I am sure you will learn, rather than generating revenue as intended, this is just going to alienate users, and send them to your competition. At the very least you should grandfather in users that have been on the site, rather than taking features away. Very poor management call.

POF Admin: Quit while you are ahead, admit your mistake, and put the feature back to the way it was. Do it now.
 psmith1905
Msg: 153
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 12/31/2010 7:58:22 PM
I couldn't agree more. I've been on this site for several months now and can't believe I need to pay for this feature. It's not the 8cents I'm angry about, it's the $9.95 I need to pay to get the 8 cent credit...100% free? I don't think so. I've seen this same feature on xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for free among other things...I think it's time for a change

Suggest you go spam for clients elsewhere!
 MixedChick
Msg: 154
view profile
History
Posted: 1/10/2011 2:42:09 PM
I would assume with the nearly 200, 000 people online right now that Markus should be making a whole heap of money off of the advertisements on the site. Don't online advertisers pay per view/click?
I just think its rude to Tout this site as completely free then slowly work in fees and costs. It might even be acceptable to charge for new things they implement but don't take away things we already had and start charging for them. that's just stank.
 PaMike1200
Msg: 155
view profile
History
What's The Big Deal?
Posted: 1/28/2011 5:33:08 PM
While I was dissapointed that I can no longer see if an email is read without paying, it's not that important. What is important is that I can send and read my emails without dishing out $$. With most other paid sites you pay monthly to send emails and if the other person is not a paying member, they can not reply. Those other sites also have millions of members but you are lucky to find 10 other paying members in your area.
 jaymzknight
Msg: 156
view profile
History
FAQ: Pay to Read Sent Status of Emails
Posted: 3/13/2012 4:22:31 PM
I've suggested a boycott!!
I will be leaving this site if this service is not restored. I encourage all users to join with me. This isn't the only game in town.
Of course as a user I can have an opinion on this! I am voting with my time and with what pof wants, my money! Lol!

Anyone else??
 KAL95
Msg: 157
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2012 4:32:33 PM
I agree , not free anymore , probably time to move on to something more productive , pay to see who checked out your profile ; not a chance .
 tyrelsackett
Msg: 159
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2012 4:46:30 PM
 Samhein
Msg: 160
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2012 6:47:57 PM
Should fix the mailbox giving either false New Message alerts or deleting mails randomly before you start charging for new things.
 Vivek_Golikeri
Msg: 161
view profile
History
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 3/13/2012 6:51:17 PM
Because this site is free, I have not deleted my profile. Frankly, the response I have gotten on POF is far inferior to other sites. I guess you get what you pay for. But if it starts costing just to stay on, I will delete it. Let advertising carry the site. Facebook attempted to charge and members raised a big furore. Facebook backed down.

If Markus Frind starts getting that greedy, I won't pay up. I'll just shut down and use better sites.
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > FAQ: Pay to Read Sent Status of Emails