Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > FAQ: Pay to Read Sent Status of Emails      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 zenmaster108
Msg: 51
Gold Fish required now to see sent message status???!!!!Page 3 of 20    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20)
Looks like greed, pure and simple. This article is a few years old, but interesting:
http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/plentyoffish_one_billion.php
Maybe the article is inaccurate or things have changed, I don't know. Still, ya gotta wonder.
 NewBegins
Msg: 52
Gold Fish required now to see sent message status???!!!!
Posted: 12/5/2010 7:27:58 PM
The only thing that set POF apart from all the others was the fact that it didn't gouge users for fees.

It has instantly lost its edge.
And will automatically lose market share.
Which will translate to the advertisers pulling their spots.

If I'm going to pay - then I'll go to one of those
better organised sites - better search engines,
easier to navigate and a much better mobile experience.

How unfortunate.

If it aint broke... it's about to be!
 2Irish1
Msg: 53
Posted: 12/5/2010 7:43:05 PM
Adm spent more money creating new code so he can charge for the mail status then he'll ever recoup...personally, who cares if the note was read...a reply=interested...a no reply=not interested...so0000...I'll just save the $.08/day.....
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 54
Posted: 12/5/2010 7:58:33 PM
Really? People are this up-in-arms because they can't see who has unread/deleted or read/deleted or read their email? OY! It's pretty simple to determine what's happened to your mail:

When you receive a reply, it means it was read and not deleted.

And the site is still VERY free. You're all here, we're all posting in FREE forums via a FREE profile linked to a FREE dating site. That's still FREE!!
 CowBoy_11
Msg: 55
Posted: 12/5/2010 8:15:23 PM
Hah!! There are enough damn adds on this site we shouldn't have to pay for jack!
Besides what the hell is that" eVow" (brought to us by the maker of PoF) for? If you want a pay site go there.
 JohnEDeep
Msg: 56
Posted: 12/5/2010 8:16:28 PM

Adm spent more money creating new code so he can charge for the mail status then he'll ever recoup...

Okay...now you've got me thinking...

18 million members times $.08= $1,440,000

At $100/hour, that's more than 7 years of fulltime work. About how long this site has been up. Not a bad payday if each member only pays once. Since the minimum purchase is 100, the potential income is a staggering $144,000,000.

Not bad at all.

Thanks for showing me the way to internet riches!
 Recalescence
Msg: 57
Posted: 12/5/2010 8:17:19 PM
So much for POF being a "free" dating site. You can be sure more small charges will gradually appear.
NOT COOL!
 TerrieLynnC
Msg: 58
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 12/5/2010 8:34:08 PM
I just discovered this and this is RIDICULOUS.
I WILL NOT PAY!!!!!!!!
So much for POF being FREE...........
POF needs to STOP ADVERTISING THAT THE SITE IS FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!
 TerrieLynnC
Msg: 59
Posted: 12/5/2010 8:37:00 PM

Really? People are this up-in-arms because they can't see who has unread/deleted or read/deleted or read their email? OY! It's pretty simple to determine what's happened to your mail:

When you receive a reply, it means it was read and not deleted.

And the site is still VERY free. You're all here, we're all posting in FREE forums via a FREE profile linked to a FREE dating site. That's still FREE!!

Hell yes we are because we've always been able to do that WITHOUT PAYING so why should we pay for it now??????????????????????????
 Norselegend
Msg: 60
Posted: 12/5/2010 8:46:28 PM
I agree.....whats the point of a free site if your going to nickle and dime us to death...Bad idea pof....this will cost you users in the long run....:(
 TattooedVeteran
Msg: 61
what the hell??
Posted: 12/5/2010 8:55:08 PM
We now have to pay to view our sent messages? This is rediculous. I emailed them with my personal views .. here is a little blurp I pulled up from on here.. "Remember that we are the largest 100% free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate" .. I find this to be false advertisement. Yea we may not have to pay a dime.. but 8 cents thats for sure. And then charge you an additional $9.92 just to get it started.. For what? to check and see if the person you messaged recieved it?? LMAO.. Ill leave this site and never turn back before I give them a dime. Who do they think they are? MATCH.COM? ha ha
 Munchausen
Msg: 62
Posted: 12/5/2010 8:57:29 PM

This really pisses me off!!
Anyone else??

Not me.
I never really used it.
Seemed a feature meant for those high strung.
Personally I wish there was a counter on a profile showing how many times people used their "view sent message" just so I know who to avoid.
Seems to be analogous to calling someone, and then checking your phone every five minutes to see if they called back.
I can't really see anyone using this site to notify about dead relatives, so it seems a feature geared towards the relatively desperate and controlling.

I am hoping the features that need credits to be used in the future are the "viewed me," adding to favorites, and the "meet me" feature.

As long as there is a free advanced search, an ability to see an entire profile, and ability to send them a message, everything else seems arbitrary and contributes to unnecessary drama.
I don't think I have a right to a free dating site, but I know there will always be a free one called "going outside."
 chris/bubba
Msg: 63
Posted: 12/5/2010 9:14:21 PM
I'm sorry but no response does not necessarily mean no interest. I'd like to know the difference when someone reads my message and doesn't respond for a week, VS doesn't log on for a week.
And check out the join dates of some of the people who say:

I never really used it.
and
I am hoping the features that need credits to be used in the future are the "viewed me," adding to favorites, and the "meet me" feature.

Never really used it? In the TWO WEEKS you have been on the site?
Some of us liked the feature. Now it is not free and there are some (pardon the pun) "fishy" business tactics involved.
 big_x
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 12/5/2010 9:18:37 PM
what a crock of shizit. i agree so much for a "free site" had better start taking that disclaimer off as it is now against the laws in the USA to claim it is free. It is not free

better put it back to free
 the heart wants
Msg: 65
what the hell??
Posted: 12/5/2010 9:19:35 PM
I think that you have to consider not the fact that there is now a charge for what used to be a free service, and consider the simple fact that this is a test to see what they can and cannot get away with...if we all stop using the sire for one day they would be quick to see their revenues drop...

But of course that wont happen
 big_x
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 12/5/2010 9:20:22 PM
the issue is that they claim to be :a free site" this moves them from being a free site to a pay site. The next step will be paying to read e-mails, after that paying to send more than one a day, then paying to send e-mail

get the idea
 Randy3512
Msg: 67
Posted: 12/5/2010 9:20:34 PM
That was one of this sites best features...You could see whether a message was read or not, Etc. ...I read somewhere that the creator of plenty of fish makes 1-2 million $ a year and he only works like an hour a day...Give me a break! You have got to be kidding me!.....I'll never suggest this site to another friend again until this BS gets fixed...What the hell are you doing Marcus!!??
 late™
Msg: 68
Posted: 12/5/2010 9:24:30 PM

.What the hell are you doing Marcus!!??

incentivize end-to-end e-tailers?
synthesize distributed experiences?
evolve ubiquitous models?

Just click on the button, eventually the correct explanation will present itself:

http://www.dack.com/web/bullshit.html
 Aozora21
Msg: 69
what the hell??
Posted: 12/5/2010 9:25:17 PM

Weak argument - and the rest of the world services that continue to rise in price? what of them? is that the same logic that one would use? - Because I paid a 90 cents a litre at one time, then that's what it should remain at?

you are forgetting that the rise in costs are to cover the rise in costs of paying employees, raw materials and such. with this site he only has to pay for the webspace, and server maint. whos price shouldnt change. on top of that he alone is making millions from advertisements, any addition of costs were out of greed. further proof is the fact that you only need 1 credit, but you have to buy 100

if they all of a sudden put a toll on the bridge youve been using to get to work every day for years, would you pay it because of rising costs, or take the other bridge?
 MollyMalone1981
Msg: 70
Posted: 12/5/2010 9:27:52 PM

Seriously? WTF! Why is it everyone has to have their ****ing hand out for something?? Soon enough, you will be required to pay for yet another thing that once was free, then another, then another.. Domino effect..

Piss poor move if you ask me.
 OstrichMan
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 12/5/2010 9:29:10 PM
You're right about the replies .. but..it's the principal of the thing .. incrementally over time more and more things are being charged for on this "free" site. Just like public perception is incrementally and over time "engineered" to accept "things" .. .. Marcus is probably getting the site ready to sell it off to "match" or some other .. .. there's datehookup and that are still "free" .. .. has some very good matching features/questions too ..
cheers ..
 late™
Msg: 72
Posted: 12/5/2010 9:31:48 PM

He doesn't owe it to anyone ....

Oh, really?

How about going back on his words, mission statement and those who put all his wealth in his lap?

Before: http://web.archive.org/web/20051001085839/www.plentyoffish.com/about.aspx

After: http://www.plentyoffish.com/about.aspx
 The Saint 77
Msg: 73
Posted: 12/5/2010 9:35:47 PM
what total bullshit. The creator of the site is making millions per year and now you're gonna pull this?? Greedy much?
The above posters are right, it could be time to abandon PoF.
 The Saint 77
Msg: 74
Posted: 12/5/2010 9:45:41 PM

He doesn't owe it to anyone ....

Oh, really?

How about going back on his words, mission statement and those who put all his wealth in his lap?

Before: http://web.archive.org/web/20051001085839/www.plentyoffish.com/about.aspx

After: http://www.plentyoffish.com/about.aspx

[url]http://www.ashrants.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/clap.gif[/url]
 late™
Msg: 75
Posted: 12/5/2010 9:45:54 PM
Hey Trappedonbayst,
This is a hell of a lot of effort to go through just to prove that you're just a kiss-ass boot-licking Moderator...You have no argument.The new policy sucks,and you need to get a clue man!

It's sad when the slow ones miss the subtext.

No bootlickin' there son, ...grow some comprehension.

http://www.ashrants.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/clap.gif

Ha ha ha ha...

How, 'bout this, circa '05:

http://i54.tinypic.com/161nuk7.jpg
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > FAQ: Pay to Read Sent Status of Emails