Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > FAQ: Pay to Read Sent Status of Emails      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ponyridesracing
Msg: 101
Gold Fish required now to see sent message status???!!!!Page 5 of 20    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20)
Free online dating................ Really? FREE is the key word.
 SSseeking
Msg: 102
Gold Fish required now to see sent message status???!!!!
Posted: 12/6/2010 6:12:17 AM
I totally agree. What makes this site so awesome is that it's entirely FREE!!! What's next? We'll have to pay to read emails? I'm sorry POF but I think you're making a BIG mistake with this new charge!
 motown cowgirl
Msg: 103
Posted: 12/6/2010 6:16:44 AM
Can I just claify with everyone, if you actually want to buy this, do you have to pay $10 and not the 8 cents advertised?

to clarify, here's what the message says when you hit the "show" link:

To see if any user has Read or Deleted your messages you need 1 goldfish credit which works out to about 8 cents. 1 goldfish credit will unlock this feature permanently for all messages you have sent.

operative phrase here: "works out to about..."
marketing double-speak. it takes somebody with an MBA to make this shit up.

meanwhile, what they're really asking you to do is fork over "about 10 bucks" to buy "100 goldfish credits", which is the minimum. volume discounts are available, of course! the statement that says "...will unlock this feature permanently for all messages you have sent" is meaningless and intended to imply value where no value actually exists. the statement "about 8 cents" is meant to imply that you're getting some kind of a great deal, when the exact opposite is actually true.

translation: "about 8 cents = about 10 dollars". LOL!!

just another reason for me to not care about unread or read/deleted messages, i guess. in the end, it's a feature that's relatively easy to ignore if'n ya really wanna.

Seven pages of complaints in 15 hours. Pretty amazing

nah, just a flea bite on a mammoth's ass...

TerrieLynnC
Msg: 104
Posted: 12/6/2010 6:34:24 AM
you are forgetting that the rise in costs are to cover the rise in costs of paying employees, raw materials and such

Employees???? Maybe I'm wrong, but Markus has touted himself as the only one running this site and that is why it is free. Over time, that may have changed but to my knowledge it hasn't.

I don't think those of us who are against this are upset at it to the point of stroke as someone mentioned. The point is he did this without warning, without telling members, without member input. With all the ads here, he definitely is not hurting for money so that shouldn't be an excuse. As someone metioned this site now is not 100% free, it's about 90% free and therefore should not be advertised as 100% free.

Now having to pay to see if an email is read or deleted, how long until we will have to pay to email someone or even see pictures just like on most other dating sites???????????

Eharmony is the WORST one. You can't even see pictures there unless you pay much less send a message.
It might make sense to some to pay for dating sites but it does not for me. I am not
going to pay twice(once to the ISP and once to the dating site) to send an email or see a picture. And now POF is SLOWLY becoming just like all the other dating sites.

Yes, Markus might have felt he had to do this and some of us don't see why, but before I pay a dime I will delete my profile.
 *army mom*
Msg: 105
Posted: 12/6/2010 6:38:06 AM
Yeah, I just noticed this too. I think it's completely retarded. It's probably so people will quit whining about people reading/deleting/not responding to messages.

Personally, I not interested enough to pay to find out if someone read my message.
 motown cowgirl
Msg: 106
Posted: 12/6/2010 6:46:39 AM
My hunch is all the BASIC features like accessing the site and messaging will stay available for free always. But we will get a host of options available to enhance the experience.

i get what you're saying but the consensus so far seems to be that most people think open access to their own messages is [should be] a BASIC feature. o well.

also, i misconstrued earlier and went back and edited my previous post after you quoted it.

(hey, i noticed "fun and irish" was deleted in record time. good job! interesting picture tho. i'm gonna miss that one.)
 whatthisagain73
Msg: 107
Posted: 12/6/2010 6:47:28 AM
I ask this respectfully, but please Mods, stop trying to convince us that it is a useless feature and that this isn't a big deal...obviously many people on here feel much differently.

If it is crucial for your dating adventure than pay the dime. As far as I know we are the only site showing what exactly happens to your message and if it is read/deleted or not read deleted etc... Just because I think that is useless info does not mean you do. If you choose to close your account and go to another free site that also does not have that feature and also has a fraction of the number of members we have than that is your choice. I am telling ya no amount of whining is making that feature come back for free! You can
1) pay it,
2)not pay it (like I am doing) or
3)leave.

Your choice. But posting and threatening to leave this site over a feature that is not free anymore, to go to another free site that does not even OFFER that feature at any price, and has a fraction of our membership base is not real effective. At least that is just my oppinion.

I do not want to see anyone leave but honestly I am telling ya nothing is going to change here from this thread. I don't care if it is 100 pages of people whining.

Your options are pretty clear.
 imalwayssmiling
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 12/6/2010 6:50:29 AM
I appreciate that this site does not charge the norm of $30 like all the other pay sites do and I thank them greatly for that.

Just because it sucks though as a huge valuable tool disappearing,the I am though disturbed that the mail is effected,it was the only way to see if someone blew you off the second sent mail,some unread delete you a moment after you sent it,now we can ponder about that letter sitting there for weeks if it was read.

I have sent to several people that were unable to respond in a timely manner because everyone and their brother was writing them,or in hospital,or on a holiday vacation,or computer was broken,or lost there online ability,a myriad of reasons,which is why one cannot jump to the conclusion they were blown off,or as now I'm still waiting for this lady to open her Thanksgiving greetings email ,thus showing me about her person by not opening a card yet coming online,meaning someone I wouldn't be interested in,one that takes a week and a half of coming on yet won't open a happy Thanksgiving card,see,her life is too busy for me,this email ability ,to see, is a great tool,was a great tool.So the simplest of tools just vanished,and they,POF, knew this,which is why they are charging for it,they monitor these things ,our habits,our online presence,and know the masses are always checking their mail.So thanks you a ton for being a almost free site yet also......oh come on,shoot!
 Dog Rox
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Posted: 12/6/2010 6:51:42 AM
I justnoticed this issue today.. and that totallyjust about tdid it for me on here... I was going to complain too..but I guess everyone here has already said everything that was on my mind! So complainging now would have little or no effect.. I feel the same way you are all feeling and you guys already said it all!! :)

I checked out that DATE HOOKUIP site.. thats just as lame... THEY say it s free but you CANT even do a search wihtout making you REGISTER.. i dont like that.. cause why bother registering for a site when you cant even tell if there is anylocal people on it?!?! I wanna KNOW first BEFORE i register for a site if it is even goingto be worth it.. thats WHERE they make THIER MISTAKE!
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 110
Posted: 12/6/2010 6:54:30 AM

While it was helpful to see the sent mail status, it is not 100% not necessary and in no way changes my reason to stay or leave the site.

Seven pages of complaints in 15 hours. Pretty amazing considering that since all of the links to the forums have disappeared that most new users don't even know they exist! I see a pretty steep downhill slope from here for POF.

Yep 7 pages of people with their hackles up, all complaining and some threatening to remove their profiles yet only 1 person deleted their profile, looks to be following a familiar trend.

Sure some will delete their profiles, but that will be easily offset by the number of users that will be willing to pay.

I would say it is a smart move. Create a feature that users like, then at some point make them pay for it, which is a proven business model, Banks have made billions from using this.

All this thread like the all the other ones that pop up when something changes is just proof that most people just like to complain.

I think the idea of putting this on your profile (rant about the removal of he feature) is a great idea, it helps other users differentiate the whiners from the winners.
 Dog Rox
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Posted: 12/6/2010 7:16:07 AM
And I agree. Check again you are allowed to send and receive messages as well as IM to anyone freely for FREE! You can access your own messages still here. He removed a free feature that as far as I am concerned was causing a ton of problems and frustration anyway. Guys send a 100 messages and get 98 read/deleted. Huge ego boost huh?

Yeah but at least with that feature.. you can tell WHO the ignorant people are on here and totally avoid them in the future! blacklist them!!! hehe

So now people are ignorant because they do not want to message you huh? If you do not get a reply to your message they were NOT INTERESTED and that is all that was really important.

2Irish1
Msg: 112
Posted: 12/6/2010 7:31:22 AM
Hey....Match charges per month something like $10 to see the status of a sent message...and someone actually pays for that functionality...

He just added for example the new MEET ME application. Just as an example here lets say he charged ya a GF credit to use it forever

If he did charge for "Meet Me"...my guess is that the "Gold Membership/Serious Membership" would start to look like a good deal...in other words...there are actually people who will pay for this craype...but after so many pages of...meh to utter distain...I'd say that it won't be the formulites who pay for the useless stuff.

I imagine the way to look at this stuff is that the basic site "is" free...and after that there is a fee per additional service...I wonder what services are included in the "Gold/Serious" membership??? Do they have to buy "Goldfish"???
 motown cowgirl
Msg: 113
Posted: 12/6/2010 7:43:47 AM
Check again you are allowed to send and receive messages as well as IM to anyone freely for FREE! You can access your own messages still here.

i understand that part. otoh, i also understand folks' frustration in their not being able to tell the status of their message at the recipient's end without paying for the privilege (which is what i should have said). psych 101: never take something away from somebody without giving them the sense they're getting something else that's at least just as good in return. the reaction here is very predictable. however, i ALSO don't see it as a big deal, personally. if you don't care, you won't pay. seems simple enough to me. i'd rather spend my ten bucks on a sushi lunch, thanks. ;)

He removed a free feature that as far as I am concerned was causing a ton of problems and frustration anyway.

let's hope so!! on the other hand, maybe all the folks who had such angst about this are going to be the very ones who will pay to find out.... then we'll *still* have to be reading about it on the forums when they do... heh heh..

Again he added a teeny cost to a unique feature I have not seen on other sites, (paid sites or free sites). As long as nothing impacts my ability to freely MESSAGE others and RECEIVE those messages at no cost I am OK with it.

ditto that.

My GUESS here is I have seen it reported in multiple places that page clicks are down as much as 30 percent on dating sites. So for a free site with no membership fees monthly for income, that depends mostly on advertising money that is a HUGE drop.

meh. things are tough all over. i know lots of people taking pay cuts just to have a job so i can understand the resentment people feel when they start thinking they're being nickeled and dimed.

Personally I wish he would lose the GF credits and let ya just pay for JUST the features ya want. Don't charge a dime to unlock the sent mail status but make us may a min.. of ten bucks for credits we don't want, and leave us with all the extra credits. Crap just charge only a buck and let us pay ONLY for that feature.

if you send enough messages, you will eventually use up your 10 bucks worth of 100 goldfish credits looking at 'em to see if they were read. the whole thing seems rather silly to me, from several angles.

imalwayssmiling
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Posted: 12/6/2010 7:46:06 AM
I couldn't imagine black balling this site over this.They are heads and shoulders above Match and Yahoo,I was constantly solicited by Nigerian and Russian scam ladies,complained to deaf admin ears all the time,ladies continued unabated,and had to pay $30 a month for all that.Yes I am disturbed by the masses not knowing forum exists now a days and now this change,but until they charge $30 a month like the others I wouldn't even consider leaving,I'm still in the thank you so much for being here for us,category ! Appreciate what you still have and what have have got for free over the years.
 HawkingJr
Msg: 115
view profile
History
Posted: 12/6/2010 8:03:23 AM
Uhhhh... I can see my sent messages. In fact, I have an "unread/deleted" from a moderator sitting in there!

Am I special or something? (Which would be the first time that's ever happened in my life.) Do "Serious Members" automatically get the ability to see their sent messages without having to purchase "Gold Fish"? Or did he remove the goldfish requirement just moments ago and I'm the first to post about it?

Regardless, my two cents on this topic is that I personally never look at my sent messages anymore because it drove me crazy to do so years ago, trying to interpret the meaning of them and as quite a few pointed out, that doesn't really do you a lot of good, but unlike a bunch of others in this thread, I'm not going to be mean about it, either, because I can understand why it means a lot to a significant amount of people. So even if I wasn't apparently "special," I definitely wouldn't pay for the ability to see them, but I think it's definitely a slap in the face of those who use "sent" messages as it was previously free, and it seems likely to be a slippery slope thing as far as making the site very pay-oriented. I mean, he can do what he wants to do and I don't think any lawsuit over what he claims the site to be is going to amount to much, but I think he'd be a lot better off if he would just do the things that are constantly requested of him (that won't hurt the site's bottom line) because a carrot generally brings about more revenue than a stick does. Upsetting your client base and doing things like this without warning or explanation is just bad business.

BTW, the only direct link on the site to your "Contact History" is on the sent page. Are you guys now unable to access Contact History as well? Because my opinion on that would be, it is FAR more important than "sent" messages and God knows that needs to not be pay-oriented. Avoiding emailing the same person a second time that apparently didn't care too much for your first message is extremely important.

Congratulations Hawking! See you finally discovered a valid reason to be paying for that VIP membership!
 motown cowgirl
Msg: 116
Posted: 12/6/2010 8:07:31 AM
^^^yes, you ARE special because you already have the official gold badge of a "serious member".
the restriction doesn't impact you.
 go_dance_now!
Msg: 117
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 12/6/2010 8:16:18 AM
Yep. Super-Lame.
 _ApprenticeSoulMate
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Posted: 12/6/2010 8:18:32 AM
Now if someone had to post a reason for deleting an email, that might be information I might be willing to pay to receive.
 arts, dining, music, w/u
Msg: 119
Posted: 12/6/2010 8:26:14 AM
POF has the numbers of people with profiles. Slowly, POF has started to charge for things. Slowly, so people beech for a while and then most will accept it. Wonder how many went to his pay site? Meanwhile the POF founder gets richer and richer. The slippery slope is in place. Soon, maybe $10.00 a year for a membership. Or $25.00. Maybe $50.00. Then a charge IM someone. A charge to post in the forums. It will come slowly. Kind of like cancer, but it will spread.
 motown cowgirl
Msg: 120
Posted: 12/6/2010 8:47:07 AM
NO ! You are not reading the message shown or my messages here either.

It says for ONE DIME basicaly to UNLOCK THIS FEATURE for ALL FUTURE MESSAGES. Based on what it actually says right now this is not a charge you make per message. It is a ONE TIME charge of a dime.

cowboy, you're right. when you click on the "show" link on any message in your sent folder, intro language says "unlock this feature for 8 cents", but when you click on the link to pay, you have to pay AT LEAST $9.95 to purchase 100 credits which unlocks that feature. the payment page says it's a one-time fee. however, the "show" link says this:

1 goldfish credit will unlock this feature permanently for all messages you have sent.

the language between the two links is confusing. i thought it meant that i would eventually use up my 100 credits checking the status of sent messages. also there is no explanation for "215 credits" versus "500 credits". if it's a one-time fee that covers ALL current and future sent messages and only 8 cents of the $9.95 covers the cost of knowing the status of your sent messages, then what is the incentive to pay a higher price??

vvvv cowboy... okay then! got it. if people are going to be forking over the $9.95, it could be clearer what they're getting for the money. sorry, it's the Editor in me.... that's all, folks!

vvvvvvv TDH... we've got 8 pages already of "exceptionally insecure" people wanting to know the status of their sent messages but completely resisting the requirement to pay for that. i can't explain it. it is what it is.
 TDH49
Msg: 121
Posted: 12/6/2010 8:58:45 AM
Then what is the incentive to pay a higher price

What exactly is the point to begin with of checking to see the status of messages you send?. The next time I click to see status of a message I sent, will be the first time I checked. That strikes me as exceptionally insecure....I always take a non reply as a lack of interest. I honestly don't care if my message was "unread" and deleted or "read" then deleted. If I get a response I read it and it will tell me which direction I need to go in. If I get no reply, that to me also speaks valumes. This uproar over something so silly I honestly can't understand.

EXACTLY! If I die I really don't care how I died.

Why people on here insist on knowing the manner in which they have been REJECTED baffles me. The other person was not interested so who cares how they handled it. All the same in the end.

All the people asking "I want to know if I should message them again. Look if it is in your sent messages and they have not replied they are NOT interested so do not message them again! You folks are making this much harder then it really is.
 deanslfl
Msg: 122
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 12/6/2010 8:59:40 AM
i dont know what screen youre looking at john but from my screen i see ALOT of advertisements and they generate PLENTY of revenue. this isnt about some sense of "entitlement". no ats about greed and nothing more than that. do you really think they are missing meals because theyr'e just not making any money off this site? well. datehookup is still free and you can bet they are going to get a lot more traffic thanks to this boneheaded idea to start charging for what has always been free
 legalartist
Msg: 123
Posted: 12/6/2010 9:12:14 AM
everyone's got to put food on the table somehow right?? Knowing whether someone has read an email or not isn't really essential to 'meeting' & contacting people...so that's now an option...personally, I appreciate whoever it is providing this free of charge for as long as they have, certainly they have some costs to run it and yes, they do have advertisers...personally I give 'them' the benefit of the doubt that this cost is essential to keeping the site up and running...and the basic service still is free!
 legalartist
Msg: 124
Gold Fish???!!!!
Posted: 12/6/2010 9:16:38 AM
so what is the source of the millions that he's made? And is that really any of our business? He's got to incur somecosts associated with the site...servers, labor, etc What doctrine says that he's obligated to provide this for service for free? I think up until now he's been extremely gracious and I personally have no problem with him charging a small fee for 'extras', the general usage of the site is still free right?!
 TerrieLynnC
Msg: 125
Posted: 12/6/2010 9:17:07 AM

no its about greed and nothing more than that

^^^Can I get an AMEN??????????
Absolutely 100% that's what it is about, nothing more nothing less........
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > FAQ: Pay to Read Sent Status of Emails