Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > What exactly is wrong with serial dating?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ChrisD1957
Msg: 40
What exactly is wrong with serial dating?Page 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I assume everyone has realized this profile and post is a joke right? Look at the profile...most trolls are a bit more creative
 newreality2010
Msg: 41
view profile
History
What exactly is wrong with serial dating?
Posted: 1/6/2011 12:50:55 PM
Are you taking all these ladies 'round the same bingo hall? Maybe the rumor mongerin' has got their feathers in a ruffle. Try mixing it up a bit.
 SilveryMoonGoddess
Msg: 42
Posted: 1/7/2011 3:07:09 PM
There is nothing wrong with it... so long as you make it perfeectly clear that they are not the only ones you will be seeing and you do not lead someone to believe that they are.
 RUtoxic4Me
Msg: 43
Posted: 6/10/2011 9:33:20 PM
I'M very skeptical of serial dating in women. It seems like they are a YO-YO going from one guy to another and so on and back again in a matter of a couple of weeks . I get the suspicion that they are not testing the waters to see who Mr. Right is. It's more of an EGO trip and falls under the USERS bracket. Just think in a womans perspective a real man is supposed to pay for the dinner, outing and whole date in general. Guys are suckers as well and will try to buy the women off with materialism. If a guy is a serial dater he is a PLAYER looking for a BOOTY CALL, if a woman does it, she is just expanding her horizons. Or are they. THINK ABOUT IT GUYS!!!!
 Jay504702
Msg: 44
Posted: 6/12/2011 4:21:52 PM
In theory nothing is wrong with dating a serial dater........ Some people feel it is just a sign that you have a fear of commitment, which always isnt the case. Most people look at more then one house or car before buying. I think a person should be able to look around until the one comes along.

It also might be more about control.
 fryan
Msg: 45
Posted: 6/12/2011 9:34:24 PM
As long as you're honest about it, there is nothing wrong with it. It's when you deceive or mislead people, that's what is wrong. Regardless of what you're looking for, you owe it to the other person to be honest. After all, that's what you'd expect from them, right?
 OutMind
Msg: 46
Posted: 8/20/2012 12:25:34 PM
There's nothing wrong with your attitude. Yet realize that there's nothing wrong with THEIR attitude.

It would not work for me. First of all, I like sex too much. So if I date someone is with the intent to eventually become intimate and have sex. Plenty of sex. But when I am having sex with one person, I want to see where that will take us. So I would prefer to then have sex with only one person. And as I honor that, for the sake of safety, they honor something similar. So for that to work, going out with other potential partners is not advisable.

So find people that are compatible with your goals.
 MustLuvDogz
Msg: 47
Posted: 8/20/2012 12:52:56 PM
The part that I don't like is how you say "even if you later discover that he doesn't want a relationship". Why is she discovering this later? Do you present to her that you want a relationship and then pull the switch and say 'nope, actually i'm just looking for fun. But you had fun too, so it's all good!'. It doesn't matter if it was fun. Because bottom line, if she's looking for the one, you've wasted her time by being deceptive. Maybe the love of her life was ready to meet her, but she passed on him because she thought she had a future with YOU. Be completely honest and upfront about what you want, and then let HER decide if she wants that as well.
 That_girl*
Msg: 48
Posted: 8/20/2012 1:06:02 PM

I'm having difficulty understanding why most females think that regularly dating the same guy is just a waste of time unless it appears to be headed for a relationship. If you have fun with the guy during the date, nothing is going to change that fact of past history even if you later discover that he doesn't want a relationship. Right?

UHHHHH seriously..i will try not to cuss on this 1..

first off i dont know about everybody eles.. but if im seeing/sleeping with the same person regularly YES i expect it to eventually lead to something more then just that.same as if your playing a game on xbox or play station dont you expect to level up after a certain amount of time or trials an errors an successful missions..

otherwise whats the point in putting time emotion an energy into somebody an a situation whom there is no possiable future with atleast long term relationship,,

hell if thats the case then we need to just be platonic friends an keep it at that..

an wrong it does change the whole game why the hell would i want to step up an do everything that goes with being a couple or having a boyfriend to an with a guy who in the first place never wanted to date me or have something meaningful together even worse would be at looking at my time lost with him when he could have just said all this upfront not oh by the way crap..

an as for why some people have a problem with a serial dater

A) competition 1 person agianst 5 to 10 others dancing for the same persons attention isnt fair at all..
S hit halla at me when your serious an are actually free..

B) you will never be number 1 it will be like musical chairs as soon as the song comes on you better hurry up an get to the 1 free chair they have waiting or eles be left on the bench till they personally call your number..

C) wonders how many of these other people are you also sleeping with that you call yourself casually dating..
how many other beds are you laying in 7days aweek before you get back to mine..

D) an in the end there can only really be number 1 if your seeing/fuking more then 2 people at a time best belive there is somebody they have subconsiously picked as their favorite an they will eventually drop the others you just have to hope its you getting picked an not the 1 whos getting dropped..
 That_girl*
Msg: 49
Posted: 8/20/2012 1:07:18 PM

MustLuvDogz
The part that I don't like is how you say "even if you later discover that he doesn't want a relationship". Why is she discovering this later? Do you present to her that you want a relationship and then pull the switch and say 'nope, actually i'm just looking for fun. But you had fun too, so it's all good!'. It doesn't matter if it was fun. Because bottom line, if she's looking for the one, you've wasted her time by being deceptive. Maybe the love of her life was ready to meet her, but she passed on him because she thought she had a future with YOU. Be completely honest and upfront about what you want, and then let HER decide if she wants that as well.

EXACTLY!!!!
 LiterateHiker
Msg: 50
Posted: 8/20/2012 6:11:11 PM

I'm having difficulty understanding why most females think that regularly dating the same guy is just a waste of time unless it appears to be headed for a relationship. If you have fun with the guy during the date, nothing is going to change that fact of past history even if you later discover that he doesn't want a relationship. Right?

WRONG. Women who are looking for a loving relationship don't want to waste their time with players like you who lead them on just for sex. You are hurting women and making it harder for them to trust honorable men.
 TantricJedi
Msg: 51
Posted: 8/24/2012 12:46:31 PM
There's plenty of women that won't give you a 2nd date. Target them.
 TantricJedi
Msg: 52
Posted: 8/24/2012 12:48:54 PM
Those poor women didn't like the sex? Pooey
 Phil_an_derer
Msg: 53
Posted: 9/21/2012 2:58:56 PM
I think many women would be pissed if I removed myself from the dating pool "smiling"....
 kmxplore51
Msg: 54
Posted: 9/21/2012 3:07:11 PM
OP... the manner in which you want to interact with people of opposite sex is not considered dating. The phrase "casual dating" is an oxymoron. Here is how wikipedia tries to explain the term dating: "Dating is a form of courtship consisting of social activities done by two people with the aim of each assessing the other's suitability as a partner in an (eventual, long term) intimate relationship or as a spouse".

It is my contention that a vast majority of individuals who inhabit POF and other dating sites have the above meaning in mind when they are looking to date someone. Since that is not what your intentions are, you will not find success here on POF or any other dating site. Go to sites like meetup.com or some other social gatherings of people with similar interests.
 VolcanoKing
Msg: 55
Posted: 9/21/2012 4:42:58 PM
I think what has you confused is the fundalmental differences between men and women.

Yeah yeah yeah. I know..women sometimes just want sex too. But most of us are programmed biologically ESPECIALLY if we have had sex with a guy..to be exclusive and begin the fantasies about potentially "nesting" with him. Women get a nice dose of oxytocin during sex and this is the feel good bonding chemical. Most women like the idea of exclusivity. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. It's natural. If a guy wants his freedom to continue to go on "coffee dates" (ie checking out other women) this isnt going to go over well with the woman who is in the process of chemically bonding with him.

SHOCK HORROR! Men and women have different biological priorities!

Despite all the promises of women's lib and women trying so hard to act slutty and screw around like men, at the end of the day we are the ones risking pregnancy, and we flat out are naturally more selective and need to know you'll be around in case we bear your child. Birth control or not, this is how our brains work.

This has nothing to do with "desperation" ( a very popular label these days) it is BIOLOGICAL to become attached to a guy you are making love with.

Don't like it? Go complain to Mother Nature.
 Lionesse19
Msg: 56
Posted: 9/21/2012 9:05:05 PM
Men know that if they are having sex with a particular woman she does not want to hear he is serial dating or seeing others.So they lie. Serial dating happens when someone has the choices and has not made a commitment to anyone.'
 motownmaniax
Msg: 57
Posted: 9/22/2012 12:56:05 PM
OP, like others have said, there's no problem if you're upfront with your dating behavior and don't have a double standard (like restricting your dates to "only" dating you).

The messiness usually comes when one or the other starts having more serious feelings for the other and you're not on the same page. Then all kinds of emotional problems and miscommunication occurs.

Some relationship experts actually encourage people to date multiple partners (2 or 3) in the initial stages of dating to gauge who would be the best match or fit. But, and this is the important part, it should "only" be in the first few weeks, then one should make a judgement on exclusivity. Too many want to date open-ended for months without really making a decision. That's unfair to those you're stringing along with the false expectation of something more serious.
 ravenhair4u
Msg: 58
Posted: 9/22/2012 3:01:26 PM
I'm having difficulty understanding why most females think that regularly dating the same guy is just a waste of time unless it appears to be headed for a relationship

You should make your dating habits clear before the 1st meet, so those who are looking for something meaningful, serious & exclusive don't waste their time & meet with you in the first place.
It sounds to me like you are meeting women who are looking for something completely different than what you can offer. Are you meeting these women under false pretense, then trying to impress them with all of your other women? Are you trying to appear as a player, a ladies man? Are you hoping to convince them to date you on a casual basis?
You should be honest & make your casual dating intentions clear from the first communication. Then meet up with others who are looking for casual dating , who are not looking for an exclusive relationship.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > What exactly is wrong with serial dating?