Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > New Feature - Last Time Online      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ~breathlesshush~
Msg: 15
view profile
History
New........Last online feature.........!!Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Ohhhhh, I hate this feature. It wouldn't be so bad if it just showed up in your/their inbox, but in the sent message folder is just too much.

Now, even if you don't reply, they can see when you were last online for the next twenty days.

So not cool. :(

It is removed from their sent messages as well as your inbox if you BLOCK them. I see a huge increase in blocks coming here.
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 16
New........Last online feature.........!!
Posted: 12/9/2010 9:08:04 AM
Cowboy, you are a mod. I believe there to be 2 others. (...and doing this for free????)

Do you not receive ANY correspondence from him as to what he is implementing and why?

Do you just run blind and have to answer all us unhappy people with whatever information you can muster up?

Two Global mods. Trapped and I are the only Global mods. We also have an event mod. So if your counting her that is three total. And yes we are VOLUNTEERS and not employees. We don't even get free Gold Fish points. LOL

We receive no notifications, explanations of any site features, changes or updates whatsoever. We have zero input on changes. My suggestions have as much power here as yours do.

I can write markus and ask a specific question. He may or may not reply and when he does it can sometimes take a few days. Sorta like with any other regular member trying to reach him. Mods have no "hotline" to reach Markus. We send messages to his profile here (BigFish) just like everyone else has to. I would like to believe when he scans over the 500 new emails a day he gets, and he see's one from me and the subject is "HELP ! THIS IS URGENT" that he will go ahead and check it out! But that is about all the extra power I have here and it isnt much. Mods ONLY help in the forums. We do not code, we have no input into site features, functions, changes or policies.

We find out about problems and changes just like you and everyone else does.

From the top of this very forum section is a quote from Markus.

"Moderators will have limited understanding of how new features work. I (admin) create and test new features in a matter of hours and constantly tweak things to see how they work. Many new features will be in a constant state of flux. Should a feature not enhance the site it will be removed"

So we mods test as best we can and try and advise and suggest solutions to known problems and new issues here.

As you can tell from many of my responses here I have never been told I have to toe the company line as far as what I honestly feel, think or advise. If I don't like a change or feature I am free to express that in a civil and non insulting manner. As are all members. We VOLUNTEER our time but can also post here and offer our OPINION just like any one else. I am not an employee so I am not expected to have to agree with site changes and policies.

Cowboy
 StarshipNarrator
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 12/9/2010 10:40:39 AM
This is the third shit feature POF has put out aside from the Meet Me and paid "read" message system. Is there someone whispering these stupid ideas into Markus' ears or is he coming up with them himself?
 HawkingJr
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 12/9/2010 12:19:12 PM
One of the users in my inbox no longer has a listing for when she was last online. She did earlier today -- she is, in fact, the person I previously mentioned. There's just a blank space for her online listing time now (and has been the last couple of times I logged on over the past 3-4 hours), though all other people in my inbox (both above and below hers) have a time listing.

Do you think that's just some sort of hiccup in the system or did she find a way to turn the indicator off? I've gone through edit profile and mail settings and could find no such thing. Don't think her profile is hidden -- she is still listed in my "Viewed Me" search.
 HawkingJr
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 12/9/2010 1:45:19 PM
"I also have not seen a time displayed greater than 24 hours."

That's probably what it is -- she was at 23 hours last time it showed up, so I guess it can't go past 24 hours, which seems ridiculous. I have another one approaching 24 hours, we'll see what happens. All the others in my inbox have logged on within the past 24 hours.
 JohnZ719
Msg: 20
Posted: 12/9/2010 2:15:36 PM
This feature should be able to be turned on or off by the user.
 RushLuv
Msg: 21
Posted: 12/9/2010 2:25:33 PM
Cowboy,

I am not getting this at all.

If I delete a guys mail out of my inbox, yes, it is true, I will NOT be able to see the last time HE WAS ONLINE. However, if he deletes my mail, he will NO LONGER be able to see the last time I was online, either.

How can guys still see the last time I was online through his inbox, if he deleted my emails? The green dot only shows the person is ONLINE, but not the last time he/she was on.
 4408joseph
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 12/9/2010 3:12:45 PM
new feature???? no notice past 23 hours??/
...pfffft!!!

All this information is the same as if you fav'd them..and then clicked
to your favorites!

No it is not. You always controlled who you allowed to add you to favorites.
 4408joseph
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 12/9/2010 6:29:24 PM
No it is not. You always controlled who you allowed to add you to favorites.

Ummm... how so ?¿?¿?... anyone can add you to their favorites, just as I can add them..On your favorites list shows last date and time they were on....

...Best they/you can do is remove...which can lead to just them adding again(even if blocked)

Is there a feature where you can STOP someone from being added to your favorites?????? Do tell.
 RushLuv
Msg: 24
Posted: 12/9/2010 6:38:21 PM

This feature should be able to be turned on or off by the user.

Agreed. Just like favorites, we should have the option to control the feature.
 UglyFroggieCritter
Msg: 25
Posted: 12/9/2010 6:55:16 PM

You realize we delete accounts here when they accumulate too many blocks right?

Man, they'll be dropping like flies.....

OT

I'm with the majority of posters, it really is a bad reason, if only for the fact that people may get all pissy cause "so and so that I sent my message to is online and hasn't answered my mail. Imma gonna message them again and give them heck." And out comes the block.

Or blocking everybody so that this time thingy doesn't show up.

Man, this'll be some fricken mess.
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 26
Posted: 12/10/2010 11:16:53 AM
Only way to remove it from his sent messages is to block him. and if you ever message him he can see when you are online for 20 days and there is no way to hide it period.

Cowboy

So to bypass this feature, can you block a person temporarily just to remove your messages from their sent messages so that they can't see when you were last online---then unblock them again right afterwards?

YES! Great idea I had not thought of. GOOD ONE!
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 27
Posted: 12/10/2010 11:28:46 AM
I was soooooooooooo happy the little green dots in the in-box disappeared. But the "last logged on" thingie next to the mail totally blew my elation.

I like many of the new changes and will be one of the old-timers here more than willing to pay to stay here ~ but there needs to be an ounce/element of common sense as to what's good for the members. If Markus wants transparency for the users, he should at least give us the option to choose whether or not we WANT to show as logged-in. Even the little tiny cheapy free sites give the option to remain invisible upon log-in. JMO
 itsthenewdc
Msg: 28
Posted: 12/10/2010 2:24:22 PM
Besides saving a step this is no different than just adding someone to your Favorites list.. and the Favorites feature is actually better (if you're wanting to track time) because it goes by exact time they last changed pages down to the second. The crappy thing about the Inbox Time feature is that it instantly goes to 1 hour, instead of starting in the seconds/minutes.
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 29
Posted: 12/11/2010 10:42:11 AM

trapped she asked if blocking him would remove it from his SENT messages not his inbox. When she blocks him it leaves her own inbox as well as his sent messages.

And it won't be in his inbox at all unless she replies.

That's what I meant. If I sent him a message, I am interested in communicating with him, therefore I wouldn't block him.
 Jotaeme
Msg: 30
Posted: 12/13/2010 1:52:30 AM

And what if they have hidden their profile then the page won't show when they where last online - I know this, as a couple of my contacts are currently hidden because of external time demands but they still logon to POF and check their inbox and reply as well.

Are you sure about this, Frodo?

I believe it will only not report how long ago someone was online once it's been more than 24 hours.
 HawkingJr
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2011 5:51:15 AM
Although I can understand the concerns about this relatively new feature, I feel as if I should point out that pretty much every other dating site (and a whole lot of non-dating sites like Myspace) already had a "last online/login" feature (though usually just a date or "within 24 hours," not down to the minute), so the fact that POF didn't have one was rather puzzling to begin with. However, the main point of those other dating sites having a "last online/login" feature was so that you would know how recently profiles were active and could avoid wasted emails to someone who hadn't logged in for days or weeks. Unlike essentially all of those other sites, POF doesn't put the last online function directly on the profile, so it's not particularly helpful in that fashion -- you don't learn how recently someone has been active on the site until after you've already sent the email. I suspect there would be less objections if the info was listed directly on the profile and not in the inbox, as that's what people are most used to.

Of course, most POF searches tell you how recently someone has logged on anyway, so I'm not sure how necessary that is, but POF searches have a very strong bias toward extremely active members -- you can only sort by activity date and newest users, so the most recent log-ins almost always appear at the top anyway. If you live in a major market with tens of thousands of daily users and you're one of those persons who only logs in about once a day, it's going to be random luck that someone comes across your profile, rather than because you two are a strong match or something more logical/helpful. I'd rather be able to sort by matching (with a minimum of at least logged in during the past 3 days or whatever so I wouldn't end up with some essentially inactive profiles on the list).

Most of the women currently in my unusually active inbox only log-in about once a day, though there are a couple who are on ALL THE TIME, which combined with what I know about their personalities from their emails kinda tells me something. No doubt me being active ALL THE TIME (during weekdays anyway) says something to the women I email, too. I suppose it's possible that ultimately, the feature could ruin something for me, but I'll worry about how to get across that bridge if I come to it.
 AnachronismRedux
Msg: 32
Posted: 4/20/2011 9:58:49 PM
I hope it doesn't lead to a lot of unnecessary blocking. Anyone who sends that whiny "why haven't you replied yet?" message after first contact, though, certainly deserves a block. I've received a couple of those from women, and, believe me, it does not enhance your attractiveness in the slightest.

If someone is determined, he can use the search function on a broad-enough scope to find the approximate last sign-in for any unhidden profile.

On the other hand, anyone who blocks based solely on one pleasant message (and no whiny follow-ups) herself probably deserves to be removed from the site.

I think I've only been blocked once. Had some nice email back-and-forth, but when we moved to the phone call, wow, total crazy woman. After patiently listening to her talk for what seemed like hours, I finally told her I wasn't interested when she expressed deep admiration for Mel Gibson (you can only take so much in life). The next morning, I saw all her email was removed from my sent folder - so she must have blocked me. I wasn't going to contact her again, though. I value my sanity too much.

I don't see the point of the new feature. I preferred the read-deleted - at least you knew she had no interest. Why do something that lessens the value of your site? Especially when it's an ad-driven site.
 UglyFroggieCritter
Msg: 33
I HATE LAST ONLINE FEATURE
Posted: 5/9/2011 1:52:45 PM
Then you should probably block the ones that are giving you a hard time about being online. Obviously you wouldn't want to go out with men who have such "jealousy and stalking" going on. Therefore they wouldn't be missed.

If you don't add/be added to favourites or don't respond to messages, they will not be able to pinpoint your time on PoF. Of course, the searches will still show if you were on PoF during "last hour/last day/last week/last month".

But it's another option.
 brawnydog
Msg: 34
Posted: 5/9/2011 3:10:22 PM
Sometimes I mail a woman just to turn her green dot on.
It actually works.
 brawnydog
Msg: 35
Posted: 5/14/2011 6:59:51 AM
That's how it looks to me on the 24hr thing.

The second query: yeah, just block 'em if you don't wanna look like you're
snubbin 'em. Only way I've seen to get past that one. I actually get grad degree women who mail me "Hi". What the hell am I s'posed to do with that? Yanno?
I ain't gonna work that hard to get to know 'em.. so, why look at 'em?
 brawnydog
Msg: 36
Posted: 5/14/2011 9:04:01 AM
You're putting way too much into this.
Would you stand around walmart talking to someone that you didn't want to?
 UglyFroggieCritter
Msg: 37
last online / sent messages
Posted: 5/19/2011 4:22:36 AM
"Last online" associated with your inbox/sent messages will show a blank if they've been offline (on PoF) for more than 24 hours, not 3o days.
 jpwrnglrwmn_forumsonly
Msg: 38
last online / sent messages
Posted: 10/27/2011 10:46:39 AM
I will agree with message 71, about how someone said that this feature has the potential to destroy relationships that are just starting. Someone I met off this website a couple of times before he had to leave for surgery on the East Coast (he will be gone for a couple of weeks, close to a month). .well, we clicked, and he said he is looking for a relationship. I was cleaning out my inbox, and checked the sent messages also, and found that he had logged in not that long ago after he said he just wanted to date me. I guess he isn't just looking to date me, as he seems to still be looking. :(
 saycheerio
Msg: 39
Posted: 11/8/2012 10:31:43 PM
They can, there was a POF app that you use on your BB/iPhone/Android, it would keep you logged in constantly and/or only disconnect on a phone's reboot with the app having shutdown.

Also, I want to note that the Online Today is a bit wonky. It appears to be doing 48 hours instead of 24 hours before it goes to Online This Week. Not a big deal, just sayin'.
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > New Feature - Last Time Online