Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 NotElvisJunior
Msg: 200
view profile
History
Christian girl refuses to marry her Athiest b/f unless he converts to Christianity.Page 10 of 17    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)
TDH49 wrote:

Is this a fair demand on her part?

In a word, no. No more so than he demanding that she renounce God and convert to atheism. Actually, the latter is arguably a slightly MORE reasonable demand.

TDH49 wrote:

What would you do if you were in his situation?

As I personally find her to be rather nearly impossible (barring some sort of very sudden revelation, change of mind/philosophy/heart/etc, or whatever), the odds of ANYONE changing religious beliefs THAT radically, and SINCERELY believing in it, is close to zero. He can fake it, and most in such a demand do, but that's all it is.

She is also, to some extent, hypocritical (being that insistent on demanding a Christian husband while flagrantly violating one of the 10 commandments).

Me? What would I do? Hard to say, as I'm not in love with her. My choices are basically to 1) lie to her (false conversion), 2) continue on with things as they are if I'm happy with it, or 3) in a fit of pique, be as true to her in an exclusive relationship fashion as she is true to the tenets of her faith.

*shrug* but love can make people do crazy, illogical things at times.
 abelian
Msg: 201
Christian girl refuses to marry her Athiest b/f unless he converts to Christianity.
Posted: 1/13/2011 6:05:39 PM

The person I had to ask to leave my home was an atheist, who claimed Richard Hawkins was his hero, but who had a battle with God, and personified it with me every time.

(1) Richard Hawkins? At least check the names you use. If you can't get that right, it's hard to imagine anything else is accurate. I'll let you figure out who you're talking about.

(2) Could you explain how a person who doesn't believe in god can have a battle with something he doesn't believe exists? (Hint: An athiest is a person who doesn't believe in god. For an athiest, having a battle with god is like having a battle with a unicorn, a leprechaun or the flying spaghetti monster. It doesn't make sense.)

(3) Just because someone claims to be an athiest (or claims someone else is an athiest) doesn't mean the person knows the meaning of the word ``athiest.''

Go and find the liar, but don't tell me it didn't happen!!

Whether or not it happened is irrelevant. If it's true, then apparently it never occurred to you that the person who told you he was athiest and that he was having a battle with god, was telling you something that doesn't make any sense and you should have figured that out when it happened if you knew what the word ``athiest'' means.
 slybandit
Msg: 202
Christian girl refuses to marry her Athiest b/f unless he converts to Christianity.
Posted: 1/14/2011 8:10:58 AM
Exodus 22 "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live."

In case the slightly archaic language is a bit, hmm, hard to understand, let's just say it's not "witches are competition, say bad stuff about them and blame them in the media."

Of course, IF we're going to be all *pedantic* about it 'n stuff, we can get into how that's a translation out of old Hebrew into Aramaic into archaic Greek into Olde English and quite possibly some monk's copying error...BUUUUT...

Jesus wrote it.

Probably in English, and with a slightly unplaceable accent, somewhere in between Arkansas and Georgia. So it's Literally True.

So all you witches gotta die. I'm thinkin' torch wielding mob, maybe stoning, not the prohibited substances kind of getting stoned but the rock to the teeth kind of getting stoned.

Seriously, people-- atheist talking here-- there are (roughly speaking) 614 Commandments, *not* ten (that's just the Madison Avenue version of the Biblia), except that some of them (no one really knows which ones) have been kinda *waived*.

So cheeseburgers, shrimp****ails and pork ribs are o.k. (we think). Witches and unauthorized sexyfun still aren't, though.

Er, Coma White? I know you're a girl n' all, but you've clearly been playing way too much Dungeons and Dragons. If you're going to go with an (obviously) invented religion, please choose Scientology: (a) it's very funny (almost as funny as the Church of Jesus Christ and Latter-Day Saints: yes people: Magic Underwear-- you think I'm kidding but I'm not), (b) it'll open more doors in Hollywood than Judaism (oh, do you really think there's another explanation for Knight & Day??).

Oh, and, since I'm Being Pedantic, it's not at all clear what specific name He's got in the Biblia (yes, Latin plurals-- I'm being a d*ck today). It's also, I might add, not at all clear that other gods do not exist. You're just not allowed to worship them.

Exodus 23 "Thou shalt not bow down to their gods, nor serve them, nor do after their works: but thou shalt utterly overthrow them, and quite break down their images."

The closer you look at it, the more entertaining it gets.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 203
Posted: 1/14/2011 8:55:09 AM

You may be able to have a logical rebuttal on the proper way to make a light, fluffy and beautiful cake. but you cannot do that on the matter of faith and religion. Unfortunately for many, lots of "religious" (I really hate that word, but have to keep using it for the understanding of many) are moved by faith. On such a touchy and subjective subject, you cannot expect to have a "logical" discussion because, truth to be told, you have as much hard evidence proof of your spirituality as I have of my God. The debate will never be logical.

Maybe YOU can't have a logical discussion about religion, but there are millions of theologians, who indeed can. And? Plenty of lay-persons who can as well. My ex (the romantic love of my life) was Muslim. We not only discussed religions (all types of religions) logically, we did so without pre-judgments. The glory of free-thinking individuals who find value in most ALL opinions vs. their own opinion. Just because you say so, doesn't mean it's fact. And on that note? I'm done attempting to discuss anything rational or logical with you as by your own admission: it can't happen. Good luck with that.
 trinity818
Msg: 211
Posted: 2/7/2011 11:15:44 AM
I think the OP comes up with some really great topics. Subjects that make you THINK. Much better than the usual why doesn't he/she like me....

The subject kind of reminds me of the Catholic dogma. You must convert and attend catechism to be married in the church. Never mind what you believe as long as you go through the "system".

Why would she (a supposed Christian) want to marry someone is who not. Converting to Christianity does not make a Christian.
 jackfouru
Msg: 213
Posted: 2/8/2011 11:06:40 AM
All religions more or less try to force their viewpoints on others. What I find so insulting about Christianity is its threat of eternal damnation if I choose not to believe that Jesus was God. I could never accept such a religion no matter how much I loved a woman. But the truth is, whether reading the old or the new testaments, it is a bunch of conflicting nonsense, imho, but I recognize there are people who believe this stuff and there are women who believe this stuff. If they are diehard, and you are not, best to stay away imho. A great love of my life converted to Catholocism after she married her husband. When we dated, she was not at all religious. I don't get it, and I know that given how she feels, we never would have made it anyway . . so God does move in mysterious ways. He ensured we would not marry and saved us both in the process.
 sexyisback!
Msg: 216
Posted: 2/8/2011 3:40:07 PM

Exaaaaaaaaaaaactly - why can't people just keep their beliefs to themselves ?

What one believes is such a personal thing but too many think they're right and everyone else is wrong.

I think it's often because most 'belief systems' or religions, certainly Christianity & Islam, include as part of their dogma, exhortations imploring 'believers' to prosetylize, to try to convince non-believers they meet to join the fold

neat way to try to keep on increasing your numbers, no? probably the reason why LDS/Mormons are one of the fastest-growing sects, or 'cults' if you will - well (1) they believe in large families, no use of birth control, automatic large bunch of kids to indoctrinate.

AND (2) send all those young well-groomed men out on the streets as missionaries to proselytize. Guess it must work, though about 90% of people probably slam the door in their face they must get SOME converts or they'd quit doing it. A large non-paid in-house sales force for the religion. I believe most young Mormons devote 2 years of their life to this practice. (unpaid)

Plus, having God come from the planet Kolob and wearing the magic temple underwear might help? plus, knowing that "Indians" (native North Americans" are actually a lost tribe of Israel (Jews in fact)

Gosh people if you don't want to date or marry Christians then don't.No one is forcing you

but what if the hottest person/people you know happen to be 'christian'?

what's a person to do???
 sexyisback!
Msg: 219
Posted: 2/8/2011 4:02:45 PM

Your beliefs on these types of issues have to match up for two people to make an actual go of it.As part of a couple you now share a life so keeping things from the other is not exactly sharing your life.

I disagree. This is a choice. If two people in a relationship differ in beliefs they could decide to keep that out of it.

As I said, IMO it's PERSONAL therefore it isn't necessarily necessary to be a part of the relationship.

I agree with you..BUT the big snare is that most religions (Certainly Xtianity) have as a CENTRAL PART of their teachings, warnings against marrying anyone who does not believe the same as you do..

and the culture surrounding the religion/sect/cult/belief system, the people at your church/temple/shrine/mosque, etc. will implore you to never have or start a relationship with any non-believer or 'infidel'.

they speak of being "unevenly yoked" in your devotion to 'god', etc.

probably worried the other (non-believer) spouse may not support TITHING 10% of income to the church!!

usually the family, parents, and siblings, and even more extended family may have the same beliefs and also implore you.

In many of these religions/cults, if you go ahead and marry someone from 'outside',

they will "SHUN" you..cut off all contact with you !!

{how "loving", "understanding", "accepting" & "Christian" of them, eh wot?? }

that is a lot of pressure, thinking you may never again be able to talk with your parents, siblings, etc..especially for younger persons.

It's the same old story told time & again in literature, "star-crossed" lovers , such as Romeo & Juliet from two feuding families at war with each other..or "West Side Story"..

or the "rich girl" who falls hopelessly in love with the poor boy "from the wrong side of the tracks" (or vice versa). OR often times people from different races, ethnic groups who fall in love with each other, though thankfully that is now less an issue than it was a generation or more ago -now that a black & a white person can marry (anti-miscegenation laws against this off the books) perhaps a catholic can marry a Jew? or a baptist can marry an atheist?

how can these relationships ever last? what is "love" in the face of societal & family pressure??
 jackfouru
Msg: 220
Posted: 2/8/2011 6:58:11 PM

"Indians" (native North Americans" are actually a lost tribe of Israel (Jews in fact)

Interesting theory, but I believed disproved by DNA evidence.
 jackfouru
Msg: 221
Posted: 2/8/2011 7:01:30 PM
He didn't say to hide it, he said to essentially accept there are differences in faith. Lots of interfaith marriages work just fine. Granted if you are a diehard Catholic and cannot accept another's beliefs, there will likely be problems in paradise. But the best relationships are those that allow for the other's beliefs and their own freedom to choose, imho. Personally, I wouldn't want to be with any woman who was too fanatical in the religious department.
 Secondhand_Lion
Msg: 222
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2011 8:33:47 PM
If I were him, I'd agree to convert, then on our honeymoon, I'd draw a big pentagram on the floor with a circle of candles and sacrifice a goat.
 jackfouru
Msg: 224
Posted: 2/9/2011 9:37:55 AM

Christians may believe that Jesus died for all of our sins and we needed that human sacrifice to reconnect with Yahweh/Jehovah, but to our ancestors that was a very strange teaching.

I've never been Christian so maybe should not have an opinion about this, but I think LOTS of people today find this very strange. As I heard a former Christian now Atheist said: Jesus admittedly had a very bad day on the day he died, but his suffering hardly matched what many humans have gone through over the years.

So I for one, forever searching, never understood how Jesus dying on the Cross died for our sins . . or what one has to do with the other. But maybe this is not the forum to discuss it.
 trinity818
Msg: 227
Posted: 2/10/2011 8:49:21 AM
I've been agnostic and I've been Christian. I'm not too keen on organized religion any more. Too much hypocrisy for me. I have been active in at least one church that was very much "alive" and "vibrant". I left because I was unable to fulfill the requirement to spread the word and help try to bring in new members.

I won't push my beliefs on anybody else, and I couldn't be with someone who belittles mine. (As vague as they are are the moment.)

As far as I understand it, an atheist is someone who actively denies the existence of any kind of deity. I could be with a spiritualist, but probably not with someone who believes that death is the end of all.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 229
Posted: 1/23/2012 8:19:02 AM

What would you do if you were in his situation?

Do not put yourself in that situation, just nip that little problem in the butt.

What is the best way to stop your child becoming an atheist?
Posted on 06 July, 2011 by A. Dave

Do not educate them, or expose them to critical thinking, logic or science.

Lie to them constantly about how the world works. Feed them a steady diet of mumbo jumbo dressed up like real knowledge – the jumbo jet in the whirlwind for example – and pretend that it is deep wisdom.

Make them loathe their own natural bodies and functions. Convince them they are small and weak and worthless and need redemption. Tell them everything enjoyable is grievously wrong to even think about, and that their only fun should be in grovelling to an invisible friend.

Ensure that they resent anyone who is not like them in every way – skin color, nationality, political opinion but especially creed. Make such people out to be evil and vile and give them – impotent minorities all – the fictional power to somehow oppress and persecute the vast majority who do think like you.

Teach them to laugh at and dismiss out of hand any faith but their own. Early – early mind you – make sure they are taught the difference between superstitious deadly error – that one raving lunatic in the desert told the truth about a vicious god who killed people, and divine eternal truth – that another raving lunatic in the desert told the truth about a vicious god who killed people.

Instruct them with all severity and import to never question for themselves – to never think for themselves – to never live for themselves – but to seek answers only in one – just one – particular set of semi-literate bronze age folk tales.

Above all – and this cannot be overemphasized – make sure they cannot spell, use correct grammar, or understand basic English words.

That should do the trick.

http://atheistdave.wordpress.com/2011/07/06/what-is-the-best-way-to-stop-your-child-becoming-an-atheist/
 DragonBits
Msg: 230
Posted: 1/23/2012 10:30:34 AM
tdh49,
I think a united front when it comes to raising kids is very very important. Can you imagine the confusion involving the kids, when one parent is telling them all about God, while the other is rolling his eyes as if to say "Yea right"?.

If you have a demeaning attitude about other people's religious beliefs, then I am quite sure that relationship would not work.

But I wouldn't marry her, likely once you get married religion will become more and more of an issue. On the other hand, as people get older and closer to death, they often “find God”.
 OutofControlMan
Msg: 232
Posted: 1/23/2012 11:40:57 AM
so really she wants to force him to "fake it" for her? he could if he really, really wants to be with her, just lie and pretend that he believes in 'god' -how would she know otherwise?

but that would cause much stress & resentment over time. likely divorce in the end

no-one can "just decide" they will beleive in something they do not believe in, or 'force themselves to -you do, or you do not.

I've tried believing in pink unicorns b/c drunk friends saw them, but it didn't work for me
 Paderic
Msg: 233
Posted: 1/23/2012 11:59:32 AM
I can't imagine getting to the point of asking someone to marry me without having the religion discussion.
 Archangel_07
Msg: 234
Posted: 1/23/2012 4:41:32 PM
both girlfriend and boyfriend should have discussed marriage before getting married.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 237
Posted: 1/24/2012 7:02:12 PM
They could just attend Unitarian services as a compromise. Neither of them would feel uncomfortable, and she would be raising kids in a church going home.
 DomG79
Msg: 240
Posted: 1/25/2012 3:42:59 AM
It's asking too much. If he isn't asking her to become an Atheist, why should she ask him to become a Christian? Christianity is supposed to teach people not to judge. Atheism, I suppose would be left up to the individual. If they are madly in love, none of it should matter.
 Michelangelo1976
Msg: 245
Posted: 1/25/2012 7:52:46 AM
As a Christian I've had far worse experiences with Christian women than with non. Imagine that.
 OutofControlMan
Msg: 247
Posted: 1/25/2012 2:27:39 PM

She cannot marry him, not if she wants to remain true to her faith.

From OP (post # 1) :

Now keep in mind that the bible does not believe in sex before marriage, but these two people have a very full sex life.

hasn't that ship already sailed? fvcking this guy before they were married is not being exactly 'true to her faith' at least as I understand the credos of Christianity?

or is it pretty much a cafeteria thing? " I'll obey this rule, and that one, but not that other one, nor this one, nor rule # 9 & # 10, which I don't like" ?
 OutofControlMan
Msg: 249
Posted: 1/25/2012 3:22:43 PM
^^ ah right I get it, it's up to each person to interpret the bible how they want it to read or how they think it was "meant" to read..or what they really meant when they wrote it.

e.g. I have been informed that 'thou shalt not kill " means nothing as silly as "you must not kill" --no-- it "really" means not murder, and many forms of killing are perfectly fine, e.g. of opposing soldiers, people in different uniform, or not in uniform if they can be labeled as possible 'insurgents' . etc., when you are told t, or basically whenever it is necessary or one feels like there's a decent reason to do so.

fun to have a book that is supposed to be so 'sacred' & 'inviolate' & 'never-changing' & 'eternal word of god' , then decide as you go, what it 'really means e.g. the warnings against borrowing or lending money- practical in modern society so let's all do it anyway

of course one can't expect than god would have foreseen the changes in society at the time 'he' 'wrote' these passages..don't expect 'omniscient & omnipotent' to REALLY literally mean those things -how silly!

she should simply get a 'ruling' from a pastor, priest etc. that getting married is not a sacred rite, at least at this time, or for her -reasons to follow- or get a special exemption/dispensation - a donation of at least $2,000 to the church should guarantee that! :)
 Mozzily
Msg: 250
Posted: 1/25/2012 3:55:52 PM
That is very unfair on her part plus you dont beleive in a god, its not something you can just switch on and off, If you dont beleive in god then you just dont. Its wrong that she asked that of you, why dont you start beleiving in santa and the easter bunny while your at it :)
 billdawg777
Msg: 253
Posted: 1/26/2012 3:49:44 PM
i am a christian of 26 years and i would never have dated him if he was not a believer and she should not have either,,,it is forbidden in the bible for believers to marry unbeliever`s. It will not work,,and also pre-martial relations,,,is a no no too,,if you sleep with someone before you marry them do you love the person or the sex????da da,,thats why God has it set up that way or at least one of the reasons,,,Im also a christian councellor,,,so that pretty well sums it up....,,She is surelly at fault here,,and im not picking on her,,,but she should know ,,it is sin,,and God will not bless his children living in habitual sin...meaning for one ,,,if she is having itimate relations with this person
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >