Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Christian girl refuses to marry her Athiest b/f unless he converts to      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 TDH49
Msg: 76
Christian girl refuses to marry her Athiest b/f unless he converts to Christianity.Page 4 of 17    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)
I have nothing against religion

are you sure? because you next statement flies right in the face of this.

but a lot of people, including her boyfriend have a hard time believing that Eve was made from a man's rib and she was fooled by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree, and she is the reason we are all evil inside

Straddles fences much. You know this is EXACTLY how you also feel deep down. Are you worried that if you say it out loud a Great God will come from the sky and smite you down for blasphemy?
 TDH49
Msg: 77
Christian girl refuses to marry her Athiest b/f unless he converts to Christianity.
Posted: 12/15/2010 6:47:19 AM

Not particularly. I am sure I am not against religion

No unpon further review I don't think you are against religion either. You have way too much knowledge of the bible to be a total non believer.
 SpecificTruths
Msg: 78
Christian girl refuses to marry her Athiest b/f unless he converts to Christianity.
Posted: 12/15/2010 7:42:16 AM

You have way too much knowledge of the bible to be a total non believer.

I'm a non-believer, and I know many non-believers like myself who have lots of biblical knowledge. The difference is, we tend to be more critical of it's "good" messages while emphasizing the "bad" ones.
Christians tend to stick to the "feel good" stories.
 Blu_Angie
Msg: 79
Posted: 12/15/2010 8:11:15 AM
I have always disliked people who hide behind religion to justify their means.

If she were that devoted to her religion, she would not of gotten into a serious relationship with him in the first place.
 bcsofnc57
Msg: 80
Posted: 12/15/2010 8:20:22 AM
I think it is ridiculous for her to ask him to believe in something that isn't real. Maybe he should insist that she stop being a christian and if she doesn't he will stop seeing her.
 Cdn_Iceman
Msg: 81
Posted: 12/15/2010 1:45:53 PM
The scenario you present doesn't make any sense, if she was a devout christian she wouldn't be dating a atheist let alone the sex part.

Got to love people who call themselves Christians but only follow parts of the bible suitable for them.... The guy is a idiot for putting up with the demand and she's selfish for even demanding she knew what he was like when they met, and now she's hoping to convert him to change him, that is wrong.

I wouldn't be in that situation, our ideals dont clash I dont care what she looks like or how good the sex is, there are things you cannot compromise on, religion is usually one of those things.
 christ on a crutch
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 12/15/2010 3:11:49 PM

I believe that a lot of religion is simply stuff created to control the population of whatever tribe the people were in.

well, yeah. look at the issue on the table here: marriage. in ancient societies, businesses were largely family structures, and marriage constituted entry to the family, and therefore one of the best ways to link with economic success. combine that with getting procreative and sexual urges met, and anyone who controlled marriage had enormous power in a community. who controlled marriage? priests. how did priests enforce their control in the community? superstitious intimidation: hellfire for rule breakers. what did priests get out of it? a free economic ride - living off the backbreaking field work of others, rather than doing it themselves. it's the original con, and it's stood the test of thousands of years.

yeah, theistic religion has its roots in love, all right.
 TDH49
Msg: 83
Posted: 12/15/2010 6:23:42 PM

The man who offered me and my daughter his unconditional help and protection earlier on this year, when something was going on in our lives, has just married a wonderful, sweet, loyal, caring, humble and loving girl.... His salvation has already started.

Yea, karma, good or bad, does have way of finding us. Hopefully you are now ok, and all that is behind you pitufina?. Nice to know someone was there to help when you needed it most.
 colt8301
Msg: 84
Posted: 12/16/2010 2:56:24 AM

Is this a fair demand on her part? What would you do if you were in his situation?.

First "I" would have told her , "Your religion didn't play a factor when you were having sexual relations with me, so why should it matter?" A sin is a sin is a sin, no matter how big or small. Then "I" would leave the relationship and find someone with better views.

And yes she has a right to demand it, but he has a right to refuse. Forcing someone into something is not the way.
 arwen52
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 12/17/2010 5:28:03 PM
Those who kiss their wives and get them diamond rings on their anniversaries, and entertain themselves with a mistress afterwards, do they love their wives?

Maybe. How about the ones with multiple wives and concubines? Like Solomon, David, Abraham, to name the most well known men of the Old Testament? Did they love their wives? It might be possible to love more than one person. Or love one person and have sex with another.

Christ is a name. If Agnost was a name we would capitalize that, too, but then it would be Agnostian, not agnostic. You may be onto something, since it would be a demotion of sorts for someone whose beliefs are capitalized to give up that special spelling for some ordinary lower case alternative. Clearly it is better to be a Christian than to be an atheist. Being better is very important, as Christ knew, and as Agnost would have, had he existed.

Hindu is capitalized but is not a person's name. Also Taoism. Muslim. (Though in the past they were sometimes called Mohammedans.) Sufism. Lots of names religions are capitalized that are not a person's name. Buddhism, Confucianism, and Zoroastrianism are all named after their founders.
 arwen52
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Posted: 12/18/2010 1:25:29 PM

There are two things that never cease to amuse me:

1. How atheists know the Bible and insist on quoting it out of contest.
2. How they will insist on quoting the Old Testament when speaking of Christianity.

I went through 12 years of Catholic schooling. Eight of those years I went to Mass six days a week, which includes readings from the Old and New Testament, so I read portions of the Bible almost every single day besides having lessons about it in school. In addition, I read the Bible from cover to cover in high school. There is nothing strange about my familiarity with the Bible. Many people who are not religious still familiarize themselves with the Bible because it's a piece of literature that holds a lot of influence in our culture. I'd venture to say that the Bible is quoted many times more often than the Constitution. There is nothing peculiar about any educated person in our culture familiarizing themselves with such a text. I'm also familiar with quite a bit of Buddhist and Hindu scripture and some of the Koran. Is there something wrong with that?

I am not taking anything out of context. Show me exactly what I've taken out of context. Multiple wives, concubines, and slavery were all sanctioned not only in the Old but there is nothing in the words of Jesus to contradict any of it. Of course, one can also find passages where they are not condoned. One can contradict almost any statement made in the Bible. I noticed that even as a child.

Nowhere is Jesus quoted as condemning multiple wives. Divorce, yes. Multiple wives and concubines? No. In fact, there's a passage where the Sadducees come to Jesus and ask him specifically about the Mosaic law requiring a man to marry his deceased brother's wife, even if he is already married, if the deceased man has not left any heirs. It would have been a perfect time for Jesus to say something about the practice of multiple wives, yet he does not condemn it. (Mark 12:19-25)

I'm not promoting plural marriage. However, the question was raised whether a man could love his wife and still have a mistress. Perhaps it is possible. I only pointed to the Bible because there are numerous examples in it, among men highly respected, who had more than one woman in their lives.

Which shows a level of hypocresy (selective reading/quoting) and a total lack of knowledge about the subject (Christian = follower of Christ = New Testament).

Total lack of knowledge? Surely you jest. After 12 years of Catholic schooling you really think I have a "total" lack of knowledge about Christianity?

Are you trying to tell me that "Christians" do not use the Old Testament as a source of authority? But they also claim it is the unerring Word of God. In fact, they beat us over the head with it, particularly when discussing civil rights for gay people. Which is it? The O.T. has no authority, Jesus is the only authority? Or "The Bible" is the unerring word of God? You can't have it both ways. Jesus Himself said he came not to change the Law but to fulfill it. Jesus quoted the O.T. many times and some of the passages Christians attribute to Jesus are actually from the O.T. and Jesus is merely repeating them. If the Old Testament is to be discarded, then the Ten Commandments and the passage that so many Christians like to use to condemn homosexuality should be discarded, too, since neither is contained in the New Testament. You can't have it both ways. I have often noticed, and even posted a thread about this some time ago, that when Christians begin to say, "The Bible says . . . " that almost of the time they will follow with a quote from the Old Testament and *rarely* with the words of Jesus, whom they claim to follow. Of course, all the POF posters who considered themselves Christians denied this, but anyone who is paying attention knows it to be true. Christians pick and choose which verses to pay attention to, all the while insisting that it is *all* true and *all* to be adhered to. If they want to do that in their own lives, who cares? Like Orthodox Jews - they don't drive or work on the Sabbath but they don't expect the rest of us to follow their interpretation of the law. But the problem is, Christians think their scripture should affect the law of the land.

Paul says that a man who wants to be regarded well within the body of Christ should be "a man of one wife".

Speaking of taking words out of context, let's put Paul's words into context, shall we? I'm assuming you're referring to Paul's words in either Titus 1:6 or 1Timothy 3:2. In *both* he is referring to bishops and elders, men in positions of leadership, and not the general membership of the church. I'm not saying that he wouldn't have, but those oft-quoted passages specifically refer to "elders" or "bishops" or "leaders," depending on which translation you use.

e could spend a lot of time talking about Paul and what he had to say about women - they should be silent in Church, should not be allowed to teach, should be subject to their husbands. It is better to marry than to burn (but better above all to be celibate) but women find their salvation in bearing children. Kind of contradictory, no? Paul said some good things but he was a Roman of his times and, like Romans of his times, had views of women which we would not accept today. And why should we? Anyway, if there is a contradiction between God's Law in the Old Testament and Paul's words, which holds precedence? God's words or Paul's?

On subject: independently of the ideology, I agree with those who say that, as a person, the girl is entitled to choose her dealbreakers when it comes to marriage, like the rest of us. When I was married, I had to wear long skirts or trousers not to offend my ex father in law, and my ex husband wouldn't allow me to wear make up.

Yeah, I had a husband who was very controlling once. Never again.
 CookieLady66
Msg: 87
Posted: 12/20/2010 9:17:11 AM
I think he should be grateful she said "no" if she's going to be cramming jesus and the rest of her imaginary friends down his throat for the rest of their lives.
 JRodriguez81
Msg: 88
Posted: 12/20/2010 9:19:16 AM

I think he should be grateful she said "no" if she's going to be cramming jesus and the rest of her imaginary friends down his throat for the rest of their lives.

Speaking of imaginary friends...thats an interesting picture you have there of yourself...
 CookieLady66
Msg: 89
Posted: 12/20/2010 9:50:39 AM

Speaking of imaginary friends...thats an interesting picture you have there of yourself...

Yes, yes it is...
 good_catch77
Msg: 90
Posted: 12/20/2010 4:59:12 PM

Religion is full of hypocrisy, and is one of the main reasons why I don't associate myself with religious organizations.

Very true me neither.

On to topic, I live in the Bible belt and despise every minute of it. But where I'm from if you don't go to church, even if your "spiritual", your considered a Atheist. I mean if you miss one day, even if you have a job that requires you to work on the church days, your a Atheist. So what type of Atheist is he? One that completely just doesn't believe in any God or one that has been miss identified as someone who doesn't believe in organized religion, but is spiritual?

The reason I don't believe in organized religion is the fact that many churches try and control their members. Telling them what to watch, say or even wear. I'm my own man and no one, esp someone who thinks they are better than me just because I don't go to church, is going to tell me what to wear or what to say.

On to the OP sorry about the rant. If it was me and I was dating a atheist, true not like one mentioned above that is spiritual, it wouldn't bother me. I would still love her no matter what God she believed in or doesn't believe in.
 TDH49
Msg: 91
Posted: 12/21/2010 7:56:30 AM

I am always amazed at the problems your friends all have and how much they confide in you

As much as my friends do confide in me, I don't see amwhere in my OP or elsewhere I said this was about anyone I knew.
 albinosquirlz
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Posted: 12/21/2010 8:57:53 PM

Yes I see your point and appreciate the education. That makes sense for, say Rastafarians. But where do the “isms” fit in? Buddha was a person, but what about Hinduism, Judaism, Jainism - and what about Wiccan and Muslim? Heck even Pagan is capitalized when it refers to a specific religious belief.

Capitals lend some kind of "importance"or "respect" to a BELIEF in something. Since atheism is a "lack" of belief in something, it does not require a capitol, since there is no such thing as a "belief" in a negative. Evolutionists on the other hand, believe in something, so may feel free to give themselves a capitol, if they so please....and creationists may feel free to spite them by not using a capitol when referring to them.

Belief in imaginary beings is delusional, albeit a popular delusion. While I think two people can fall in love while not sharing the same delusion and have a satisfying relationship in spite of it...it is another thing to ask someone to lie about their feelings.

I suspect the woman knows the man isn't about to all of a sudden adopt this delusion, but is instead demanding his complicity in the poisoning of the minds of any future children they may have. If he "goes along" for the sake of the relationship, he will surely resent her for it.

What we have here, is a shit sandwich. And it could have been avoided. Once it's made though, taking a bite is not so avoidable.
 AintNoDeal
Msg: 93
Posted: 12/22/2010 12:02:34 AM
think everyone is going to the place we call heaven but not everyone is reaping the power of god while on earth because they do claim themselves as atheist and don't believe in a higher power.

There are many of us folk who are quite content getting along without a power-spike from "God". I enjoy a cold can of pork 'n beans now and then, it's quite unnecessary for me to fire up a stove and heat them first.

Let "God" help the people who can't appreciate such ordinary things, and require a crowd to hold their hands and deliver barbecue sauce before life's can of beans is palatable.

When I die, if I find myself in Heaven, will God be spiteful because I didn't accept His gifts/help (read "interference") earlier? Sheeeshss......
 RushLuv
Msg: 94
Posted: 12/22/2010 1:28:19 AM
So what type of Atheist is he? One that completely just doesn't believe in any God or one that has been miss identified as someone who doesn't believe in organized religion, but is spiritual?

So, there are different definition of what an Atheist is, now? From what I understand, Atheists are people who believe Gods are non existent. Sorry but it takes more than not attending church, and reading the Bible to be a non believer.

People who do believe God exist, actually fall under Theism.
 albinosquirlz
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Posted: 12/22/2010 6:42:36 AM

People who do believe God exist, actually fall under Theism

Deists also believe in god. Followers of the "new testament" are not really followers of "christ", but followers of Paul. Christianity (a 4th century invention) is more accurately called Paulinity.

Most Americans imagine their country was "founded" by Christians (theists), when in fact, the so-called "founding fathers" were mostly Deists or slanted in that direction.
 matchlight
Msg: 96
view profile
History
Posted: 12/22/2010 7:52:07 AM

Most Americans imagine their country was "founded" by Christians (theists), when in fact, the so-called "founding fathers" were mostly Deists or slanted in that direction.

What you say is true about Jefferson, and I'm sure he wasn't the only one. But I'm not sure we have enough good evidence about the religious views of all the other leading lights at the time to support your claim. In any case, the first colonists in America had been English Protestants, and that was still the case for most Americans in 1787.

As to the hypothetical, I think the really unfair thing is for her to wait until after he's already proposed to her to tell him something so important. She really couldn't have seen that problem coming, as they kept getting closer to each other? If Christians are supposed to strive hard to show consideration and love for other people, she didn't strive very hard there.

Of course, we've all seen--even on these threads--people who trumpet their Christianity as they do very mean things. No one's perfect, and falling short of the mark is understandable. But making a habit of sticking it to other people, especially for your own benefit, is not. You can hide what you're doing behind a sanctimonious label for a while, but eventually the label gets pretty transparent.
 matchlight
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Posted: 12/22/2010 7:59:59 AM
[other]The reason I don't believe in organized religion is the fact that many churches try and control their members. Telling them what to watch, say or even wear.

That's the inconvenient thing about religions. They demand things from people--and who cares if those demands are meant to make them better people? Why doesn't someone invent a religion that lets everyone just do whatever they feel like at the time?
 SpecificTruths
Msg: 98
Posted: 12/22/2010 8:16:58 AM

They demand things from people--and who cares if those demands are meant to make them better people?

The problem is that the "things" in "demand" are always up for debate, depending on which religion or even which person within the religion, you're talking to/about. People like to bend it for their own benefit and as you said, the sanctimonious (sp?) label grows transparent with those less talented in the art of persuasion.

In this case, is the b/f "better" for leaving atheism behind? Is the Christian girl doing her man "better" by making this "demand" of him? It's up for debate, but if asked, I would say no, he's not bettering himself by joining up/pretending to join up for his own benefit.
 matchlight
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Posted: 12/22/2010 2:21:31 PM

Preach your gibberish somewhere else.

You didn't say who you meant that for, but I suggest you take your own advice. I don't know you, and I've never said or not said anything to please you. I don't plan to start, either.
 AintNoDeal
Msg: 100
Posted: 12/22/2010 7:45:03 PM

Maybe you accepted his gifts and didn't percieve them as gifts.It reminds me of a joke I heard. This guy was driving frantically around a parking lot and couldn't find a parking space. He finally said God please help me find a parking space. Within 5 seconds he found a parking space and said nevermind I found one.

You realize that the guy in the joke is a believer, not an atheist, right? So the joke is on the believer NOT having confidence or patience in his own god to help him.

An atheist would have just parked in the lane and called it a day.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Christian girl refuses to marry her Athiest b/f unless he converts to Christianity.