Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 eyzewideopen
Msg: 51
Do You Have a Self-Imposed Age Limit for Dating (or Whatever?)Page 7 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
a dragon slayer huh I like that alot ..
 eyzewideopen
Msg: 52
Do You Have a Self-Imposed Age Limit for Dating (or Whatever?)
Posted: 8/31/2005 12:46:21 PM
I dont consider it flattery to attract someone younger .... I get plenty of flattery without that from men of all ages ....I have said this before and I will say it again ..I will type slower this time... Life experiences dont necessarily depend upon age.. my ex husband of over 20 yrs well he was 5 yrs older than me was a complete moron about life and how to treat women .. my younger man had more life experiences in his short time here on this planet than most men I have met and was more mature ... as for the word TEMPORARY......... in a relationship no matter what the age who knows what tomorrow will bring for any couple be they the same age or 20 yrs apart in age ...lets get over the attitude that younger means less life experiences ...depends on the person male or female
 eyzewideopen
Msg: 53
Posted: 8/31/2005 12:49:04 PM
Thanks Toronaga ..I am happy..and not hurting anyone... and I really dont gel with men my own age and I have tried ..thanks for your support ..like I said before lets get over the age thing ..its a number dont put everyone in a category because of their age..
 who_the_fox
Msg: 54
Posted: 8/31/2005 1:10:51 PM
I think I need to just hang around POSITIVE people instead of the nay-sayers.

People are always amazed when I tell them how old I am...not guys who are hitting on me...but the women and men I work with and my nail tech etc.

I find that men my own age don't approach me at all in real life...and the men who are interested tend to be between 25 and 35. I have far FAR more in common with that age group than my own...as we share taste in music, fitness, similar points in our careers, general attitudes, etc. A lot of men 45+ are very conservative and settled, they are looking toward retirement in a few years and are not in very good health...
 eyzewideopen
Msg: 55
Posted: 8/31/2005 1:26:21 PM
Sorry ...themaven..I dont have age judgements ....and your first post was negative about younger with older ..as for me I still keep trying with men of all ages...but like I said before older and I dont click.... right now I dont want a relationship ..and by the way... .men my age and younger ALL are attracted to me .. and if like you say everyone doesnt mind or care who someone else is attracted to then why do we have so many forums on here about age...
 eyzewideopen
Msg: 56
Posted: 8/31/2005 1:30:28 PM
fox....you tell it like it is.... I so agree nay-sayers are so close minded ...and like you I get tons of attention from women when they find out my age.. and you are right most men wont approach us in real life ..and I like you have far more in common with that age group ..attitude is the big one.. and you know something I have always said a non bitter..positive attitude keeps you younger and we are proof of that for sure ..
 eyzewideopen
Msg: 57
Posted: 8/31/2005 1:48:54 PM
nice worded post .....but after re reading the things you posted prior well I beg to differ ....but thats cool .. you said alot of things that I guess werent intended to be what they were... you know yourself what they meant .. its all gooooooooooooooooooooood
 who_the_fox
Msg: 58
Posted: 8/31/2005 2:47:14 PM
I wouldn't feel comfy dating a man who LOOKED young enough to be my son....but since people often mistake my son for my bf...that gives me a fair amount of leeway LOL
 40 Something
Msg: 60
Posted: 9/3/2005 12:18:28 PM
They at least have had to reach the age of consent.

J/K. I say 35-45 in my profile not because I have any restrictions, per se, but because I theorized that those in that age group MIGHT agree to date me!
 kitchensink
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2005 12:13:19 AM
The youngest I've ever dated was only 4 years younger, but have dated one who was 22 years older as well as some other ladies not far off that mark. I think the youngest I'd date would probably be 22, 23 and the oldest maybe 60 or so.

FISHGOLF
Msg: 63
Posted: 4/1/2006 9:58:29 AM
@TALL VIRGO,

"Youngest I dated was 5yrs....."

You should have waited till he was 10.
 BrokenHeartedNJ
Msg: 64
Posted: 4/3/2006 11:29:05 AM
I haven't read much of this thread, but here's my story, sorry for venting ;)

My love had a range of 1 yr younger to 4 years older. That was until she met me by divine intervention, 11 years younger. We were about to get married when she got scared and ran off with a "safer" choice of an ex in her original range. She shows serious signs of not being happy and wanting to come back though, who knows. The age thing never really crossed my mind. She'd get freaked out at times, thinking back over her growing up versus me growing up, but we matched so well on so many levels that everything just clicked, and the age didn't matter. She said she gave most men -3 to -5 years, but me +5 or more years, making things generally even out as far as she was concerned. At the current crossroads, she's using society and the ex's words to validate her fears, rather than how we are together.

No matter what physical age, you'll get people whose mental age can range from many years younger to many years older. Thus, my previous range has now been greatly expanded. It would take someone special to grab me that was young without a real plan to have their life in somewhat of an order.

If it hasn't been mentioned, check out agelesslove.com if you're interested :P
 who_the_fox
Msg: 65
Posted: 4/21/2006 12:47:06 PM
I don't restrict to younger, but I have never dated older....
 Singlemaltgirl
Msg: 66
Posted: 4/21/2006 12:54:29 PM
no one younger and the older is a sliding scale...it depends on the person and how they've taken care of themselves and if they are capable of keeping up with me. generally speaking, no more than 10-12 years older....but there can be exceptions!
 GuitarGuy_
Msg: 67
Posted: 3/22/2007 3:36:57 AM
Half your age + 7 is a good rule of thumb. :)
 randomstoic
Msg: 68
Posted: 3/22/2007 1:31:24 PM
I still think another child might be a possibility, so I put my limit at 39 (give or take a year) and the mid-twenties, but I have initiated correspondence only with women in their 30s.

I am curious about the way an age difference impacts our self-esteem. I imagine that if I dated someone considerably younger then I would probably devote even more time to maintaining my physique (already run 6x/week) and watch my diet even closer.
 c_deacon
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 3/24/2007 8:34:01 AM
But Fox........

Not all of us "older" men feel that way, and you of all that I have known on here, should not make it so general. We have biased jerks of both genders, and can have those comments from some but not all think that way.

I also seem to date those that are in the mid 30's to late 40's, but have also dated some as much as 10 years older too. I would just prefer not to even talk age, unless we truly must, or if there is such a physical difference that the question begs to be answered.

The double standard needs to be eliminated, and I am more than willing to help with that in any way I can. It would be nice to just see all of us enjoying those of the opposite sex, no matter the age, and just have some fun......

Just my opinion......
 Calisparkle
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 3/24/2007 10:49:35 AM
I've tried dating men 10 years younger. What i believe is that a younger man will date an older woman for fun, but she will never be a serious girlfriend to him. Men want younger woman for a relationship, or maybe same age.

I would never date a younger man for a long time until people on boards like this said i was being too judgmental....it could work, etc. Well, it tried it, and found i was right in my thinking. When will i ever learn to listen to my own instincts?????? I'm not listening to other people anymore! I think i have a good grip on reality.

:) Cali
 Calisparkle
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 3/24/2007 10:51:51 AM
Still, though, i never say never. There is always a chance that a younger man could be a good match for me. But I think that would be the exception, not the rule.

:) Cali
 wanderer1999
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 3/24/2007 2:47:21 PM
Traditionally, I've never really set age limits on dating.

When I was in my late teens/20's, I tended to gravitate to women who were 10 to 15 years older than myself, and in one case a woman who was 22 years older than myself. This wasn't a sexual thing, I just wasn't able to relate to most people my own age. For me, the most important parts were conversation and personality compatibility (though raw attraction helps too).

In recent years, I've also dated women who were as much as 10 to 15 years younger. I use the legal age as the bench mark of absolute minimum. Fact is, if someone can become emancipated, vote, drive a car into someone else, and join the military and sacrifice their lives, then who am I to question their choice of dating partners?

Having been on both sides of the fence, I would have to say that the biggest factor is usually maturity. Older women tend to be more emotionally stable, however, there is no shortage of younger women who have also matured early (usually due to some sort of early hardship or shouldering of responsibility at an early age).

Now that I'm 36, I'm still attracted by older women as well as younger women, however, my dating habits have taken more of a back seat to reality. Since I'm looking more towards marriage and a family, the available dating pool of older women do not have children already is an extremely small percentage of women.

When I wasn't thinking children, it wasn't so much an issue. Sometimes I miss that.

As for judging women one way or the other, it would be hypocritical to have a problem with a man dating a woman 15 years younger, then not approve when a woman dates a man 15 years younger. To me that smacks of misogyny. As long as you have two consenting adults, then what's the problem?

Good for the goose, good for the gander and all that.

What I have noticed is that North Americans are far more intolerant of age differences in dating than most of the rest of the world. Europe, Asia, South America, Africa... in most of the world's population, age differences of 10 to 20 years+ between couples is neither unusual or shocking. Try taking a walk down the Copacabana in Rio de Janeiro. Lots of mixed age couples, and nobody even bats an eye.

After all, since when was there a written rulebook on finding happiness?
 singlemaninMD
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 3/24/2007 11:58:06 PM
Well watch out cause 40 will smack you in the back of the head before you even realize it. I don't feel old but man when you start getting closer to social security it really starts to freak you out! LOL!
 designingwoman
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 3/25/2007 10:34:38 AM
I am 40 and will date someone as much as ten years younger and 15 years older. Everyone is different. Some younger people are more mature while some older ones are still quite immature. If someone is compatible with me, is mature and handles things well in life but happens to be ten years younger (or 15 years older for that matter) than me, I don't think his age by itself should be a reason for not dating him. Age isn't one of those things that necessarily measures a person's character.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 75
Posted: 3/25/2007 3:17:20 PM

Do You Have a Self-Imposed Age Limit for Dating

I most definitely did. The man in my life was actually 6 months too young, so we broke up for 6 months. He's now the perfect age. Seriously ~ I did have very rigid age-appropriate limits for myself. I know what works for me and what doesn't ~ no need to mislead anyone. To each their own ~ I only know what works in my life.
 buck711
Msg: 76
Posted: 3/26/2007 7:32:13 PM
My age limits of someone I'd date.... over 18 and under 200.... but must still be breathing. But honostly... I saw somewhere that the "acceptable" age limit for someone younger that you is half your age + 6 yrs. For example for a 44 yr old, it would be 28 (44/2+6) for the youngest and 76 ((44-6)*2) for the oldest. Just remember it goes both ways. My feeling is that if it's legal and you both are happy, more power to you. Have fun and enjoy life.

Buck
Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  >