Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Calisparkle
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Do You Have a Self-Imposed Age Limit for Dating (or Whatever?)Page 9 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Still, though, i never say never. There is always a chance that a younger man could be a good match for me. But I think that would be the exception, not the rule.

:) Cali
 wanderer1999
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Do You Have a Self-Imposed Age Limit for Dating (or Whatever?)
Posted: 3/24/2007 2:47:21 PM
Traditionally, I've never really set age limits on dating.

When I was in my late teens/20's, I tended to gravitate to women who were 10 to 15 years older than myself, and in one case a woman who was 22 years older than myself. This wasn't a sexual thing, I just wasn't able to relate to most people my own age. For me, the most important parts were conversation and personality compatibility (though raw attraction helps too).

In recent years, I've also dated women who were as much as 10 to 15 years younger. I use the legal age as the bench mark of absolute minimum. Fact is, if someone can become emancipated, vote, drive a car into someone else, and join the military and sacrifice their lives, then who am I to question their choice of dating partners?

Having been on both sides of the fence, I would have to say that the biggest factor is usually maturity. Older women tend to be more emotionally stable, however, there is no shortage of younger women who have also matured early (usually due to some sort of early hardship or shouldering of responsibility at an early age).

Now that I'm 36, I'm still attracted by older women as well as younger women, however, my dating habits have taken more of a back seat to reality. Since I'm looking more towards marriage and a family, the available dating pool of older women do not have children already is an extremely small percentage of women.

When I wasn't thinking children, it wasn't so much an issue. Sometimes I miss that.

As for judging women one way or the other, it would be hypocritical to have a problem with a man dating a woman 15 years younger, then not approve when a woman dates a man 15 years younger. To me that smacks of misogyny. As long as you have two consenting adults, then what's the problem?

Good for the goose, good for the gander and all that.

What I have noticed is that North Americans are far more intolerant of age differences in dating than most of the rest of the world. Europe, Asia, South America, Africa... in most of the world's population, age differences of 10 to 20 years+ between couples is neither unusual or shocking. Try taking a walk down the Copacabana in Rio de Janeiro. Lots of mixed age couples, and nobody even bats an eye.

After all, since when was there a written rulebook on finding happiness?
 singlemaninMD
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 3/24/2007 11:58:06 PM
Well watch out cause 40 will smack you in the back of the head before you even realize it. I don't feel old but man when you start getting closer to social security it really starts to freak you out! LOL!
 designingwoman
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 3/25/2007 10:34:38 AM
I am 40 and will date someone as much as ten years younger and 15 years older. Everyone is different. Some younger people are more mature while some older ones are still quite immature. If someone is compatible with me, is mature and handles things well in life but happens to be ten years younger (or 15 years older for that matter) than me, I don't think his age by itself should be a reason for not dating him. Age isn't one of those things that necessarily measures a person's character.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 75
Posted: 3/25/2007 3:17:20 PM

Do You Have a Self-Imposed Age Limit for Dating

I most definitely did. The man in my life was actually 6 months too young, so we broke up for 6 months. He's now the perfect age. Seriously ~ I did have very rigid age-appropriate limits for myself. I know what works for me and what doesn't ~ no need to mislead anyone. To each their own ~ I only know what works in my life.
 buck711
Msg: 76
Posted: 3/26/2007 7:32:13 PM
My age limits of someone I'd date.... over 18 and under 200.... but must still be breathing. But honostly... I saw somewhere that the "acceptable" age limit for someone younger that you is half your age + 6 yrs. For example for a 44 yr old, it would be 28 (44/2+6) for the youngest and 76 ((44-6)*2) for the oldest. Just remember it goes both ways. My feeling is that if it's legal and you both are happy, more power to you. Have fun and enjoy life.

Buck
Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  >