Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 dawntreader10
Msg: 50
What Should a Man Smell Like ? Page 4 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
Clean clean clean clean clean clean CLEAN, lol.....Irish Spring, and that's it.

A4RON
Msg: 51
view profile
History
What Should a Man Smell Like ?
Posted: 12/30/2010 9:21:32 AM
I use a little cologne under the shirt. Most women complain about mens hygiene in as a whole.

Does it need to be said the checklist before a date?

-brush teeth
-brush tongue
-scrub balls
-trim nails
-lotion

The more the better lazy people. Same can be said about women too fellas. Dating is like taking pride in anything. If you have a 1969 camaro entering a car show.. You'd clean & wax etc..
 AlisN1dlan
Msg: 52
Posted: 12/30/2010 6:00:21 PM
Would I date a good handsome man with chronic gas? Chronic GAS??
This is apparently an issue I have not come across. I didn't thing there WERE any. But this is definitely one.
 newreality2010
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2011 12:53:03 PM
He should smell like my man would smell like if he wasn't using my girly body wash.
 abelian
Msg: 57
Posted: 1/7/2011 4:14:25 AM

Lol.... they say a woman can always smell another woman on a guy.....but I have to say that I always just thought that was figuratively speaking , of course!

That has to be the ultimate irony. The only cologne that really works costs most guys their freedom to use it.
 C2H5OH
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 1/7/2011 2:24:22 PM
I must be weird.I can't remember the last time I could smell myself as I bathe regularly,but if I could smell myself I would drop everything I'm doing and run to the shower.There's no chance in heck that I would go around stinking and feeling uncomfortable to attract a woman.
 Vannili
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 1/10/2011 11:38:28 AM

Legion_
Msg: 63
Posted: 1/10/2011 7:33:29 PM
if he's trying to score

his body should smell like soap, his face like aftershave and his breath like mint.

Works for me.
 Texan_Gal
Msg: 67
Posted: 1/27/2012 11:11:05 AM
A guy needs to wear deodorant; smelling sweaty is gross. Other than that, some women like cologne and others don't. I personally like cologne as long as it's not too strong. Ditto those who said bad breath is a very bad thing; why would I want your mouth anywhere near me if it smells like something just died in there?
 OutofControlMan
Msg: 70
Posted: 1/27/2012 11:38:47 AM
the odor of lots of crisp $1,000 bills usually works - many of them

or the subtle scent given off by a Black AMEX card- no limits, the lingering smell of the Porsche or Rolls Royce
 Whisky_River
Msg: 71
Posted: 1/27/2012 12:02:02 PM

the odor of lots of crisp $1,000 bills usually works - many of them
or the subtle scent given off by a Black AMEX card- no limits, the lingering smell of the Porsche or Rolls Royce

lmfao....Just amazing that there always has to be one poor guy that squeezes in the whine about the rich guys with money getting all the women! tsk..tsk...
Jealous??? Do you really think you would want those kind of women that are only after money...how sad for both people involved!!

I like a man to have a clean pleasant odor(body and breath)...at any ill odor(to me) I have a gagging reflux and my eyes tear up.
I have experienced odors of men working in a sawmill or coming in from a day of haying...quite pleasant...maybe the farm girl in me.
 Paderic
Msg: 72
Posted: 1/27/2012 12:14:29 PM

well, how about smelling like .. ahem "Rusty Kuntz"??

The outfielder?
 christyis4real
Msg: 73
Posted: 1/27/2012 1:08:30 PM
I wouldn't go on another date with a dude who smelled bad period. Whether it be body odor, bad breath, or chronic gas.

Not a fan of Old Spice cologne either...
 Paneah
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2012 5:26:21 PM
There is a certain smell of a man, but he should smell clean for starters. Something to be said about the natural smell of a man, I love an outdoorsy smell. I don't smoke but love the smell of cigarettes on his breath. No over powering cologne either, this is one of the biggest turn offs. I can't wait to get away from him. Bad breath or bad body order tells me he just doesn't care about pleasing you or taking care of himself.
 Vannili
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2012 6:30:51 PM
Msg.#1: Yes I would love to date a handsome man with bad body odor badbreath,chronic gas if he is a generous to a fault billionaire and will supply me with gas/odor mask...
 Vannili
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2012 8:36:50 AM
^^^^^^^^^
Thanks for sharing , I don't use deodorant for so many years now, I use baking soda for armpit, because it clashes to the perfume I am using. Now I learn from you that I can use baking soda as a tooth paste and for washing feet.. Thanks again. Vannili
 Paderic
Msg: 81
Posted: 2/15/2012 12:04:42 PM

I can go almost three days of no showers without stirring up even a strong BO.

How in the world do you know that? It has been my experience that people who stink seem to be unaware of it. Cigarette smokers, for example, insist they don't stink. But somehow I seem to be able to smell them from several feet away.
 Vannili
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2012 4:23:25 PM
How in the world do you know that? It has been my experience that people who stink seem to be unaware of it. cigarette smokers,for example, insist that they don't. But somehow I seem to be able to smell them from several feet away.

I do too ,but that is not considered a body odor.
There are people that they don't have bacteria in their body, like my cousin she don't wash her clothes every day , so it won't fade and worn out..she shower every other day, but she smell nice and she don't use perfume and deodorant.. Her perspiration smells of young coconut meat..
I believe what the OP said that eating vegetable will help to get rid of bodyodor . These people who eat process food like ham,salami,dried fish ,ect.ect. and heavy liqour drinkers,,,,,,,,,,, even they shower every morning and change clothes every day , the stinks of their body doesn't just comes from their armpit but from the pores of their skins like arms and chest..........
 seventiesbaby2
Msg: 84
Posted: 2/15/2012 4:54:44 PM
thats just plain gross...
 Flipgirl24
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2012 9:55:51 PM
You can use baking soda to wash your hair (look up 'no poo' hair) or to clean your bathtub.

Men should smell clean...hard to explain but I've dated two guys who had a raunchy natural smell, not BO, just a sour, rancid smell that pervaded any scent they put on. They are mostly why I hate Irish Spring....its overly nauseating scent couldn't mask their odour. Nothing against the guys, there are just some people's chemistry that doesn't work for everyone. I dated another guy who smelled so good regardless of whether he just showered or ran a marathon.

A man should not smell like daisies. I don't care if he's into football or gardening. And some men just pile on the cologne (as women pile on the perfume).
 Paderic
Msg: 87
Posted: 2/16/2012 5:32:17 AM
just like vannili said processed foods put alot of stuff in your body that bacteria love to eat when you sweat it out (cause BO is basically those bacteria excreting on your skin). BO comes out of armpits, genital area and chest, mainly the areolas. Those areas secrete not only sweat but fats and proteins that bacteria love to eat. Foods like meat and dairy are harder to digest in our bodies and thus sometimes they putrefy, and then that comes out in your sweat.

Bacteria will consume just about anything organic. Ever see a dead animal in the road? Your digestive tract is loaded with bacteria. So is your skin.

The degree of body odor depends a lot on how much a person perspires. If I am sedentary, I don't need a shower every day. However, I go to the gym almost every day and perspire heavily, so I need a shower and change of clothing daily. Don't assume that because you once were able to go three days without a shower it means you can go three days all the time.

Bad sinuses can cause a nasty odor. It smells like super bad breath, except the person has good oral hygene.
 beehearnow
Msg: 88
Posted: 2/16/2012 6:51:50 AM
Be clean but please don't bathe in cologne. Ivory soap leaves a pretty sexy aroma, IMHO

Personally I'd rather smell sweaty armpits than some sort of artificial scent from 20 feet away.
 Archangel_07
Msg: 89
Posted: 2/16/2012 9:45:53 AM
I shower will body wash and with Irish Spring soap and use degree deodorant daily. Give me a break man. Some days I use Swiss Army cologne.
 onlydateIF
Msg: 93
Posted: 2/20/2012 8:26:05 PM
Hi OP. Well, a few things a man has control over, 1 he does not. (2 senses of smell involved). The first scent involves pheromones-we all have those naturally and it is ultimately one of the ways we select a mate unconsciously. Because pheromones are more 'psychic' in a sense, there's not much one can do. (yes I know there are companies who sell pheromone colognes, but I don't know if those really have been proven to work)

What a guy CAN do to smell nice is: Bathe daily (of course!), wear clean clothes, avoid dousing himself in cologne, avoid smoking, drinking, or eating foods he is allergic to, which can cause him to have gas. Other than that, if he has a stinky pet, he can make sure to wash his hands often, which pet owners should do anyways for their own health. Oh yeah, one more thing: if he works with gas/petrol/diesel or manure, best to take off the boots and work clothes and leave them to air outside (again an obvious point).
edit : Oh and the sixties ended long ago, and ever since, patchouli oil has been going out of style IMO
 MutedEnthusiasm
Msg: 95
Posted: 2/20/2012 8:37:55 PM
He should smell like leather and horses and sweat and tobacco and sandalwood, sundried cotton, cucumbers, old cars, sex and dirt.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >