Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 keystone77
Msg: 65
Can Men continue to be friends with Women if they are not dating?Page 4 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
You may have answered your own question. . .if a lasting relationship starts with being friends with one another, then they both wanted more than friendship. That is, there was an attraction beyond platonic.

The way i see it, or the way it's always worked for me or not worked, there's different degrees of friendship. . .question is and again, you've answered, what happens when one person wants more? The person that doesn't is still looking for the one. What happens when that person meets someone and the dating process begins?

Does the friendship remain the same. . .don't believe it does! Now you have a new friend you're pursuing for more than friendship so where does that put friend number 1. . .backseat!

It all boils down to the degree of friendship. . .casual or best buddies! Maybe casual with no feelings on either part (which i find personally difficult to believe) can survive, but otherwise not a chance will it survive remaining the same!

Just my 2 cents!
 Cdn_Iceman
Msg: 66
Can Men continue to be friends with Women if they are not dating?
Posted: 12/29/2010 10:43:00 PM
The only way a man can be friends with a woman if they are not dating is if she doesn't give him a chubby and doesn't want to dip his banana in her pancake batter and vice versa.

You cannot be friends with the opposite sex when every time you see them you desire them even more.
 essence74
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2010 2:25:26 PM
Everyone has their own terms and definitions of what they call a"friend." I think the core of any true friendship or relationship is unconditional on both sides. From this course, it makes it much easier to remain friends afterward. Usually when it fails, its due to the result of someone still having expectations or resentment, which is their own insecurity, not a result of the relationship. True happiness is an inside job.
 iluvreading
Msg: 69
Posted: 12/30/2010 5:47:28 PM
What! You don't want to be friends with half the people in the human race, becuase they aren't sleeping with you? That is just friggin silly!
 Proventus
Msg: 70
Posted: 12/30/2010 6:14:28 PM
After dating them? Maybe. After having sex with them? Never.

I've been friends with women, but the minute I have an SO, I deep six the friendship. So then you couldn't really call it a friendship to begin with right?

I don't avoid the women if I bump into them, but they're nothing more than acquaintances by that point, and you can bet your boots I wouldn't be taking their calls or calling them. lol.
 abelian
Msg: 71
Posted: 12/30/2010 6:57:55 PM

In a dating scenario, people can also part without without animosity.

Just because I have no animosity toward someone, doesn't mean that person is a friend.

In one of my cases, I dated a man for three months. We enjoyed each other's company in many ways, but we both knew that it would turn into anything VERY serious for several reasons. When an old flame made contact with me, the man whom I was dating told me to "go for it" because he knew I still had feelings for the old boyfriend.

Well, that's one of the many reasons to not date someone who hangs on to baggage.

Today, the guy I was dating is in a happy relationship with a woman who is now my friend, as well. The old flame and I are back together for the fourth time. I think it will "stick" this time.

If not, there's always chapter 5.
 Email Tom Now
Msg: 72
Posted: 1/1/2011 5:48:10 PM
all i can tell you is if my female friends are attractive...

I WANT TO SCREW THEM, DATING OR NOT DATING.

WELLLLLL, that's what guys do!
 Savona
Msg: 73
Posted: 1/1/2011 7:26:33 PM
Personally I think that many people use the term friends too loosely. Good acquaintance, work friend, hanging out friend, girlfriend and so on. I have a few very close friends men and women ... all the rest of my "friends" is a term for better than acquaintance, but not close enough to confide in.

I rarely keep in touch with men I use to date, and they might have been friends, but now they are friends from my past. I like to keep my core friends thats enough friends for me.
 valenciacityx
Msg: 74
Posted: 1/1/2011 11:26:35 PM
not from where I sit. theres a reason one of us walked, it should just be left alone.
 TheToefactor
Msg: 75
Posted: 1/2/2011 12:06:56 AM

I am friends with all my ex-boyfriends and there is nothing more than just a friendship. I guess this stems from me serving in the military with guys that were strictly friends as we lived in close quarters and fraternizing was not tolerated. After a while; I was just one of the guys to them. I guess for civilians that might be harder as you aren't depending on that person to keep you alive. You just don't cross the line when lives are at stake.

don't ask don't tell.

2nd_chance_again
Msg: 76
Posted: 1/2/2011 1:49:30 PM
If there is an understanding that friends is it, then of course, if you are with someone tho,
remember act as if she was sitting right there, don't do anything you wouldn't want her to do with her male friends! just food for thought!
 IHateBarstars
Msg: 77
Posted: 1/2/2011 2:30:04 PM
It's do-able. However, over time if the two friends are consistently single or become "best friends," then not so much. When you have a friend who you constantly go to when you'e happy/sad/mad chances are one or the both of them will get attached and if the other doesn't feel the same way then eventually they'll drift apart. Although, this isn't always the case but in tons of cases it is.
 Savona
Msg: 78
Posted: 1/2/2011 6:41:56 PM

I suppose its an individual thing.

Personally my attitude towards every woman I've ever dated in the past is that they can ALL go to hell.

Love it Love that you don't sugar coat it. That wold pretty much be my opinion if I had had the nerve to say it
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >