Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > The Republicans Single Greatest Problem as a Party      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 201
The Republicans Single Greatest Problem as a PartyPage 9 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
Looking at those numbers: Veterans Affairs should not be included in social programs; you've had a decade of war, so a lot more hurt veterans. That should properly be counted as cost of war.

Social Security is up slightly more than the rate of inflation, despite Baby Boomers entering retirement. I would have guessed that should be a bigger increase. Something hinky is going on there.

Unemployment and welfare increase is less than the rate of inflation.

Medicare is up, but again, you have an aging population.

Health and Human Services and HUD are up less than inflation, as is Education. So these are actually cuts.

One of the things Obama did was try to cover all children with health care, so that is properly up. That is the only good thing in those stats.
 Bladesmith81801
Msg: 202
The Republicans Single Greatest Problem as a Party
Posted: 9/6/2011 8:56:01 AM
427, lets see if I can use smaller words to get the point across.

His argument is that a bunch of PETA nuts stomping around the forest scaring off game is equivalent to actual, documented, acts of committed violence that have resulted in actual deaths. Y'know, like real people shooting it out with, and killing cops? Or flying airplanes into the IRS building? Or the would be attack on the Tides foundation?

He chose to cherry pick one item out of many, and focus on that, while ignoring the remainder. it's typical, and it's dancing away from the subject.

Get it now? PETA people banging on pots and pans does not equal actual attacks and shoot outs. There is NO left wing violence on the level we're seeing from the right. None.
 Neopoli
Msg: 203
Posted: 9/6/2011 10:35:52 AM

You're REALLY going to try and equate the realtively few and heavily marginalized PETA nuts to the say 400% increase in death threats to the president, the 28+ overtly VIOLENT acts (Thats actual, gun slinging violence we're talking about here, bombs and bullets flying, not a bunch of half arsed college kids stomping through the forest scaring off game) that have happened since Obama took office that can be directly traced back to right wing eliminationist rhetoric? Seriously?

It ain't the bunny huggers flying planes into the IRS building, or trying to blow up the Tides Foundation and kill everyone inside, or killing cops who get in their way. It ain't liberals who are showing up at town hall meetings wearing tactical gear and carrying pistols and assault weapons, talking about "if ballots don't work bullets will".

Heres a short list, if you're actually interested in anything resembling the truth. But comparing people scaring off game from hunters to actual physical violence? Ridiculous.

http://mediamatters.org/research/201010260050

To paraphrase your own angry diatribe, Ive taken key words from your above text & inserted opposing equalizing text, just to show it clearly works & cuts both ways, not just the 1 way you seem intent on rammming down our throats:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~You've ALREADY tried to equate that relatively few and heavily marginalized conservative nuts are somehow responsible for an imaginary 400% increase in death threats to the president. I posted direct rebuttal from the Secret Service Director himself. I can post more if needed....just ask!

And, the 28+ overtly VIOLENT acts that have happened since Obama took office that your extremist/agendist blog site claimed can be directly traced back to right wing eliminationist rhetoric, can me matched item for item with acts performed by left wing extremists from any number of equally ridiculous extremist/agendist blog sites Seriously!!!

It ain't the church ladies flying planes into the IRS building, or trying to blow up the radio stations that broadcast Rush Limbaugh reruns and kill everyone inside, or trying to kill cops who get in their way. It ain't conservatives who are showing up at political paqrty conventions wearing tactical gear and carrying munitions & explosives , talking about "if ballots don't work bullets will".

Heres a short list, with a seperate news link to every itemized incident listed above, if you're actually interested in anything resembling the entire complete truth, which requires one to look at BOTH sides before flying off the handle:

~Joseph Stack flew his plane into the IRS building after writing an anti-conservative manifesto.

~It was Obama-loving Amy Bishop who took a gun to work and murdered co-workers.

~It was liberals who destroyed AM radio stations outside of Seattle.

~It was progressive SEIU union thugs who beat a black conservative man who spoke his mind.

~It was a liberal who was sentenced to two years for bringing bombs and riot shields to the Republican National Convention in 2008.

~It was a liberal who threatened to kill a government informant who infiltrated her Austin-based group that planned to bomb the RNC.

~It was liberals who assaulted police in Berkeley.

~It was liberals who intimidated and threw rocks through the windows of researchers.

~The two Black Panthers who stood outside polls intimidating people with nightsticks were probably not right-wingers.

~It was a liberal who bit the finger off a man who disagreed with him on healthcare.

~Every time the G20 gets together, it's not conservatives who destroy property and cause chaos.

~In fact, Democrats have no monopoly on having their offices vandalized.

~It's liberals who burn down Hummer dealerships.

~It's doubtful that a conservative fired shots into a GOP campaign headquarters.

~Don't forget it was Obama's friend Bill Ayers who used terrorism as a tool for political change. SDS is still radical, with arrests in 2007 and the storming of the CATO Institute in July 2008.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/mithridate-ombud/2010/03/24/medias-myth-right-wing-violence

The problem is neither my site nor yours represent anywhere near balanced truth, but I know that. You seem to not get this main gist of an agendist/extremist blog site.

But what the he11, I can do this all day if needed. There are thousands of these junk agendist/extremist partisan sites flooding the net, as you have gleefully discovered. I can & will match your agendist sites item for item for the rest of my life, if needed.The problem here is, most(not all) posters on here are veteran posters & historically above that, & I dont think they want to see this crap. I may be wrong though, because of the eerie silence concerning this. Must be a party affiliation thing.
 427cammer
Msg: 204
view profile
History
Posted: 9/6/2011 11:26:56 AM
Halftime:

Looking at those numbers: Veterans Affairs should not be included in social programs; you've had a decade of war, so a lot more hurt veterans. That should properly be counted as cost of war.

Social Security is up slightly more than the rate of inflation, despite Baby Boomers entering retirement. I would have guessed that should be a bigger increase. Something hinky is going on there.

Veterans Affairs were included in the original source for social expenditures I gave you... so I included it... lot of hurt veterans from Vietnam and WW II as well. It's actually in 2011 that actual baby boomers are hitting retirement.... yes I'd be expecting to see huge increases there.

After I posted last night I found and tried adding this (typed it all in and everything), but by the time I hit update post, it was too late. I found another graph on wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Us_gov_spending_histry_by_function_1902_2010.png

So... according to this, social expentitures are in the neighborhood of 21% of GDP in 2010 while they were at about 10% in 1960.There's some up and downs and flatlines on this graph, but everything has increased... no significant cuts. So maybe I didn't crunch the numbers right in my earlier post, or maybe wikipedia is just crap as a source. I tend to believe the 21% figure... my gut tells me so.

That's where the truth lies, right down here in the gut. Do you know you have more nerve endings in your gut than you have in your head? You can look it up. Now, I know some of you are going to say, "I did look it up, and that's not true." That's 'cause you looked it up in a book. Next time, look it up in your gut. I did.-Stephen Colbert

Irish:

Gee it seems that you missed the 2 greatest discressionary expenses...you had to cut and paste "around" them:

$481.4 billion (+12.1%) - Department of Defense
$145.2 billion (+45.8%) - Global War on Terror

I hope I'm not taking away from your gotcha moment... but me and Halftime were discussing social expentitures... he understood why I edited it. If you understood my post at all you would see that I was actually retreating ground in that post.... now I'm adversarial again.

Blade:

427, lets see if I can use smaller words to get the point across.

I appreciate it... also if you can point out any spelling errors so I'll know better for next time... not smart enough to figure out how to use spell-check.

Neo caught you spewing B.S. and he called you on it... nothing too hard to figure out here.

actual, documented, acts of committed violence that have resulted in actual deaths.

...just off the top of my head... Wiebo Ludwig.

BigBadNIrish
Msg: 205
Posted: 9/6/2011 12:47:01 PM

So... according to this, social expentitures are in the neighborhood of 21% of GDP in 2010 while they were at about 10% in 1960

And according to the US Census the percentage of social program expenditures to GDP rose during the Nixon years, 1970 to 1975, from 14.8% to 19.1% and has stayed realitively steady as a percentage of GDP since then.

http://www.allcountries.org/uscensus/599_social_welfare_expenditures_under_public_programs.html
 CountIbli
Msg: 206
Posted: 9/6/2011 8:39:18 PM
"The biggest problem with the GOP???Well, in the upcoming presidential electioons they present the greater choice of the bad choices for president...Bachmann, Perry, and Romney...I often wonder what ever happened to all the 'moderate republicans?'"

Romney and Perry are moderates. So is Huntsman and so was Pawlenty. Oh wait, you mean you were fooled by Romney and Perry's stealing of talking points from Ron Paul?
 Bladesmith81801
Msg: 207
Posted: 9/6/2011 8:59:47 PM
Well, I had a longer post written, but it got eaten by digital gremlins.

First;
~It was progressive SEIU union thugs who beat a black conservative man who spoke his mind.
This one has been proven false already. Video taken at the scene directly contridicts his story.

~The two Black Panthers who stood outside polls intimidating people with nightsticks were probably not right-wingers.

And the incident was investigated by the BUSH Justice department, and declared that no crime was committed, no threat offered. You calling the Bushies liars?

You going to tell me ACORN was engaged in criminal acts as well?

So here:

July 2008: A gunman named Jim David Adkisson, agitated at how "liberals" are "destroying America," walks into a Unitarian Church and opens fire, killing two churchgoers and wounding four others.

-- October 2008: Two neo-Nazis are arrested in Tennessee in a plot to murder dozens of African-Americans, culminating in the assassination of President Obama.

-- December 2008: A pair of "Patriot" movement radicals -- the father-son team of Bruce and Joshua Turnidge, who wanted "to attack the political infrastructure" -- threaten a bank in Woodburn, Oregon, with a bomb in the hopes of extorting money that would end their financial difficulties, for which they blamed the government. Instead, the bomb goes off and kills two police officers. The men eventually are convicted and sentenced to death for the crime.

-- December 2008: In Belfast, Maine, police discover the makings of a nuclear "dirty bomb" in the basement of a white supremacist shot dead by his wife. The man, who was independently wealthy, reportedly was agitated about the election of President Obama and was crafting a plan to set off the bomb.

-- January 2009: A white supremacist named Keith Luke embarks on a killing rampage in Brockton, Mass., raping and wounding a black woman and killing her sister, then killing a homeless man before being captured by police as he is en route to a Jewish community center.

-- February 2009: A Marine named Kody Brittingham is arrested and charged with plotting to assassinate President Obama. Brittingham also collected white-supremacist material.

-- February 2009: A 60-year-old former Republican Party campaign volunteer opens fire on a gathering of Chilena exchange students in an apartment complex in Miramar Beach, Fla., after telling a neighbor he wanted to start a "revolution" against Latino immigrants.

-- April 2009: A white supremacist named Richard Poplawski opens fire on three Pittsburgh police officers who come to his house on a domestic-violence call and kills all three, because he believed President Obama intended to take away the guns of white citizens like himself. Poplawski is currently awaiting trial.

-- April 2009: Another gunman in Okaloosa County, Florida, similarly fearful of Obama's purported gun-grabbing plans, kills two deputies when they come to arrest him in a domestic-violence matter, then is killed himself in a shootout with police.

-- May 2009: A "sovereign citizen" named Scott Roeder walks into a church in Wichita, Kansas, and assassinates abortion provider Dr. George Tiller.

-- June 2009: A Holocaust denier and right-wing tax protester named James Von Brunn opens fire at the Holocaust Museum, killing a security guard.

-- February 2010: An angry tax protester named Joseph Ray Stack flies an airplane into the building housing IRS offices in Austin, Texas. (Media are reluctant to label this one "domestic terrorism" too.)

-- March 2010: Seven militiamen from the Hutaree Militia in Michigan and Ohio are arrested and charged with plotting to assassinate local police officers with the intent of sparking a new civil war.

-- March 2010: An anti-government extremist named John Patrick Bedell walks into the Pentagon and opens fire, wounding two officers before he is himself shot dead.

-- May 2010: A "sovereign citizen" from Georgia is arrested in Tennessee and charged with plotting the violent takeover of a local county courthouse.

-- May 2010: A still-unidentified white man walks into a Jacksonville, Fla., mosque and sets it afire, simultaneously setting off a pipe bomb.

-- May 2010: Two "sovereign citizens" named Jerry and Joe Kane gun down two police officers who pull them over for a traffic violation, and then wound two more officers in a shootout in which both of them are eventually killed.

-- July 2010: An agitated right-winger and convict named Byron Williams loads up on weapons and drives to the Bay Area intent on attacking the offices of the Tides Foundation and the ACLU, but is intercepted by state patrolmen and engages them in a shootout and armed standoff in which two officers and Williams are wounded.

-- September 2010: A Concord, N.C., man is arrested and charged with plotting to blow up a North Carolina abortion clinic. The man, 26-year--old Justin Carl Moose, referred to himself as the "Christian counterpart to (Osama) bin Laden” in a taped undercover meeting with a federal informant.

-- January 2011: A 22-year-old gunman named Jared Lee Loughner with a long grudge against Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and a paranoid hatred of the government walks into a public Giffords event and shoots her in the head, then keeps firing, killing six people and wounding 14 more. Gifford miraculously survives.

-- January 2011: A backpack bomb with the potential of killing or injuring dozens of people is found along the route of a Martin Luther King Day “unity march” in downtown Spokane.

-- January 31, 2011: An Army veteran from California with a previous arrest record for making threats against President Bush is arrested for making terrorist outside a mosque in Michigan inside a car whose trunk was filled with Class C explosives.

-- March 2011: Five people in the Fairbanks area are arrested on charges of plotting to kidnap or kill state troopers and a Fairbanks judge. All five are self-proclaimed "sovereign citizens," including local militia leader Schaeffer Cox.

-- March 2011: A man from Madera, CA, named Donny Eugene Mower is arrested for the firebombing of a Planned Parenthood clinic and the vandalization of a local Islamic religious center. The crimes were committed in the name of Mower's one-man hate group, the American Nationalist Brotherhood. His 'manifesto' asked: 'Isn't it time that someone hit back?'

http://crooksandliars.com/jon-perr/republican-rhetoric-right-wing-terror

Now compare that list above to the list you posted. That list is a sampling from the last 3-4 years. How far back does yours go? If you're referencing Ayres, then you're going back over 30 years. Again, my list is 3-4 years.

The facts are, the overwhelming majority of violence and violent, eliminationist rhetoric is coming from the RIGHT, not the left. You can't honestly say a burnt Hummer compares to a bunch of dead cops, an assassinated doctor, etc.? I understand that a lot of people on the right, not necessarily you, have to operate under a steady level of cognitive dissonance, but there is NO equivalency here.
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 208
view profile
History
Posted: 9/7/2011 5:02:41 AM

And the incident was investigated by the BUSH Justice department, and declared that no crime was committed, no threat offered. You calling the Bushies liars?

Actually, the Bush admin brought up charges against them, and had proof & witnesses. It was Obama's Justice Dept. under good ol' Eric Holder who dropped the charges.

But Neo is correct in saying that this tit-for-tat game of "who's side is worse" can go on forever. For every 10 sites you find to prove your point, there are 15 that will somehow show you're wrong. It's a game that can't be won.
 Neopoli
Msg: 209
Posted: 9/7/2011 5:24:46 AM
OK...first, before we go any farther, out of the 22 items you posted, at least 10 of your claims specifically October 2008, December 2008, January 2009, February 2009, April 2009, June 2009, May 2010, January 2011, January 31, 2011, March 2011, are caused by"white supremacist Neo-Nazis" who are neither Democrats or Republicans, or tea party members.

This type of violence can be claimed by everybody....because they are a fringe sect that doesnt identify with the major parties we belong to:

• November 14, 2009, in Phoenix, tea partyers were attacked by a group of neo-Nazis brandishing a swastika flag and a portrait of Adolf Hitler. Police intervened quickly, and no one was hurt.

The worn out airplane-into-the-IRS is another flub. This guy was an anti-capitalist African/American G-7-type left-winger/Liberal. Here is what he wrote:

Stack's diary takes aim at the IRS, outraged at loopholes that benefit large corporations and the Catholic Church, but not average Americans. He claimed that the IRS cost him "$40,000+, 10 years of my life, and set my retirement plans back to 0."

He ended his suicide note with:

"The communist creed: From each according to his ability, to each according to his need."
"The capitalist creed: From each according to his gullibility, to each according to his greed."

..then the "Army veteran from California with a previous arrest record for making threats against President Bush is arrested for making terrorist outside a mosque in Michigan inside a car whose trunk was filled with Class C explosives"....... is also probably a liberal, because he sure isnt a right winger. I honestly dont know what he would be, so liberals cant claim that one.

Besides, the Class C "explosives" were fireworks bought from the fireworks tent....legally. LMAO

March 2010: An anti-government extremist named John Patrick Bedell walks into the Pentagon and opens fire, wounding two officers before he is himself shot dead.

Why would this be "right wing"? Hopeful speculation? This could be as much left wing. Sorry.

-- January 2011: A 22-year-old gunman named Jared Lee Loughner with a long grudge against Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and a paranoid hatred of the government walks into a public Giffords event and shoots her in the head, then keeps firing, killing six people and wounding 14 more. Gifford miraculously survives.

Cant claim this one either....even though you all still wish otherwise.
Giffords was a Blue Dog Moderate democrat. Loughner is neither the mainstream right or mainstream left, as his beliefs were well within the realm of the fringe. One former friend who wrote he had once been "very liberal" and added, "he was leftwing when I knew him in high school & college, 3 years ago.
So since adversarial liberals hate moderate Blue Dog Democrats as much as any other "right wing" group, he probably was also left-leaning. Scratch this one too.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
More than half your list is mishmash unpinnable claims, as is common on agendist/extremist partisan blog sites.

My turn to post crap :

• October 12, 2008: Authorities have arrested two men after a Molotov cocktail was thrown at a 4-foot by 8-foot campaign sign for Republican presidential candidate John McCain in a southeast Portland yard

• October 17, 2008: an unprovoked assault by an enraged Democrat against a [female] McCain volunteer in midtown Manhattan: “Defendant grabbed the sign the informant was holding, broke the wooden stick that was attached to it, and then struck informant in the face.”(from police report)

• November, 2008: Black Panther with a billy club threatening voters outside polling place in Philadelphia. Eric Holder let him walk.

• August 2009: a black gentleman who was a Tea Party participant named Kenneth Gladney went to a town-hall meeting hosted by Rep. Russ Carnahan, Missouri Democrat. While passing out “Don’t Tread on Me” flags, he was viciously attacked by Service Employees International Union (SEIU) members. One called him a “nigger.” A woman filming the violence also was accosted. NBC News.

• July2009: a handicapped woman in a wheelchair was attacked by a protester at an Obama town hall in New Hampshire. Another protester kicked an armed man in the groin, & spit into a camera filming it.

• August 2009: At a tea party in Milwaukee, a heckler attacked several people and rushed the stage while a speaker was talking, YouTube video shows. Police tackled and removed him

• September, 2009: Yesterday, the DC Metro police evacuated the offices of Washington DC Tea Party Freedomworks after several threats, including a bomb-threat phone call that police considered credible enough to investigate.

• September 3, 2009 in Thousand Oaks , California, a nationalized health care advocate attacked and bit off the finger of a Tea Partyer who was an opponent, Associated Press.

• November 14, 2009: in Fort Lauderdale, Florida violence broke out between tea party protesters and pro-amnesty protesters who had e-mailed group members calling for “a militant confrontation” with “tea-baggers,”

• November 14, 2009, in Phoenix, tea partyers were attacked by a group of neo-Nazis brandishing a swastika flag and a portrait of Adolf Hitler. Police intervened quickly, and no one was hurt.

OK!!! Your turn!!

ReadyForSomethingFun is right...this could go on forever.
 unYOUsual
Msg: 210
Posted: 9/7/2011 5:35:55 AM
This is interesting...the Liberal guy posts stuff that Extremists have done trying feebly to connect them to the Republican party, the other guy posts stuff that actually happened to people attending Republican and Tea Party events....

By the way, did the Liberal guy purposefully leave out the part about Loughner had felt that he was disrespected by Gifford on a prior occasion? this part of the story got little attention as it didn't fit with the liberal agenda ..
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 211
Posted: 9/7/2011 5:50:33 AM

By the way, did the Liberal guy purposefully leave out the part about Loughner had felt that he was disrespected by Gifford on a prior occasion?

So, that Gifford supposidly disrespected Lounger , it is in your view justified for him to kill 6 people and injure 14 others?

This is the number one problem with the GOP...they dis-own any responsibility...just like Palin dis-owned her Gifford "target" propaganda.
 Neopoli
Msg: 212
Posted: 9/7/2011 5:58:51 AM
It doesnt matter. Nobody can claim this piece of meat. Please stop wearing this as a badge & trying to profit politically from this type of tragedy, as some posters continually do at will.
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 213
view profile
History
Posted: 9/7/2011 6:44:31 AM

This is the number one problem with the GOP...they dis-own any responsibility...

That's beyond hilarious!

Obama probably blames Bush when Michelle won't give him any..........
 unYOUsual
Msg: 214
Posted: 9/7/2011 6:50:23 AM

So, that Gifford supposidly disrespected Lounger , it is in your view justified for him to kill 6 people and injure 14 others?
This is the number one problem with the GOP...they dis-own any responsibility...just like Palin dis-owned her Gifford "target" propaganda.
Of Course Not....it just shows how unthinking emotionally responsive zealots on the left try to tie unrelated tragedies to the Republican party...

This is the number one problem with the GOP...they dis-own any responsibility.
The GOP was not responsible for the actions of a nutjob, he was pissed at Gifford for disrespecting him...but it is hard for people like you to not politicize things to your advantage...
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 215
Posted: 9/7/2011 7:18:03 AM

By the way, did the Liberal guy purposefully leave out the part about Loughner had felt that he was disrespected by Gifford on a prior occasion? this part of the story got little attention as it didn't fit with the liberal agenda ..

If you will note...that it was this post made about the Gifford shooting politizing the event made prior to any comment made by me.....this poster just happened to cherry pick the Gifford incident, out of a laundry list, and brought it first to light.

he was pissed at Gifford for disrespecting him

Again you defend the killings...

but it is hard for people like you to not politicize things to your advantage...

I ask this poster to look at his first post on the Gifford incident...when this type of comment is made apparently a response in kind is a first attack...how GOP like. This is why there's no chance for a GOP president in 2012....and why congress currently has a 28% approval rating...well below the dismal approval rating for President Obama.

hoopsnhikes
Msg: 216
Posted: 9/7/2011 5:50:20 PM

Are you saying Palin bears some responsibility in the Arizona shooting due to the target maps?
 Hawaiianluau
Msg: 217
Posted: 9/8/2011 3:50:35 AM

...apparently is that all are a bunch of sons of b1tches, not that there's anything wrong with that.
 professora
Msg: 218
view profile
History
Republican Party
Posted: 10/27/2014 7:33:13 PM
What i read here leads me to believe all republicans are rich.

Rich is far from my income but the dems give away what little I earn.

Are there republicans out there in POF land who support Ted Cruz? We cant be in for another bush! The dems dont have anyone that will be effective.

Hilary is too old and after Ben G. she cannot be trusted.

Any thoughts?
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 219
Republican Party
Posted: 10/27/2014 7:35:46 PM

Any thoughts?

Yep!

Elizabeth Warren or Bernie Sanders,
 trinity818
Msg: 220
view profile
History
Republican Party
Posted: 10/28/2014 4:31:14 AM

We cant be in for another bush!

I don't know... It seems that Jeb is looking to be a likely contender. Wonder how he will distance himself from "big brother".

Perhaps you know more about this issue than I. Didn't he hand out vouchers for private education to remove students from "low-performing" schools? (As opposed to spending money on those schools to provide a decent education for all?) Is this an accurate depiction of his actions?
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 221
Republican Party
Posted: 10/28/2014 12:57:00 PM

Jeb is a moderate republican.

Over in the Palin thread-Eric called every moderate republican a RINO....Jebs not electable by the extremist conservative line of thinking....he might-gasp-compromise on some piece of legislation-gasp....
 trinity818
Msg: 222
view profile
History
Republican Party
Posted: 10/28/2014 2:29:17 PM

I'm a Republican. And I'm not the only one who feels that way
This is a quote from me from back in 2011 (somewhere around #154). I was debating with another poster about the need for "moderate Republicans". So I guess being called a RINO would have pissed me off back then. 4rumninja used to often repeat that moderate Republicans lacked conviction. It was this line of thinking that drove me out of the party. I simply could no longer self-identify with the ideals they put forth. It was not a easy transition since my entire family, most friends, bosses and co-workers are Republicans. To be honest, I generally keep my views to myself because I don't feel a need or desire to debate my beliefs.

I've been a registered Independent for at least 2 years now. I'll admit that I'm not thrilled to be labeled as "right-leaning" or "left-leaning", considering I can lean either direction depending on the subject at hand.

But I know I don't like Jeb Bush. I didn't like him as our governor. I am however, a big Charlie Christ fan. He sticks with his convictions and to hell with the party line.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 223
Republican Party
Posted: 10/28/2014 3:19:21 PM

I am however, a big Charlie Christ fan. He sticks with his convictions and to hell with the party line.

Well, I dunno know how I really feel about Governor Christ. I do know that AI applaud his move from an outcast moderate republican to the democrat party. I've never read the book, but I love the title Christ chose: " The Party's Over: How the Extreme Right Hijacked the GOP and I Became a Democrat"

Somewhere between giving away the candy store and "let em eat dirt" there must be middle ground.
 professora
Msg: 224
view profile
History
Republican Party
Posted: 5/14/2015 6:05:19 PM
only one thinker.

hummm

interesting
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 225
view profile
History
Republican Party
Posted: 5/23/2015 3:00:57 PM
A slightly newer aspect of the GOP's self-limitation, is that they have spent most of their time and effort simply opposing other people's solutions to things, and made no counter proposals at all.

Lots of attacks on the ACA (which I never liked either, but it was SOMETHING, and the republicans proposed NOTHING). Lots of attacks complaining that foreign policy is off track, lots of opposition to regulation of business, and lots of claims that Global Warming either isn't happening, or that they don't like proposed ways to combat it, but no counter-proposals to address any of the problems.

I suspect that this is why the GOP gets plenty of cheers when they make their anti-this and anti-that speeches, but the support at the polls flags for national leadership. Just my opinion but I think what most people want, is for problems to be positively addressed. Not just fussed about. And a political strategy of being coy will work as long as people are upset with what the people in power are doing, and you might sweep into majority positions, but you wont stay there, unless you actually ACT.
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > The Republicans Single Greatest Problem as a Party