Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Motorcycles and Baby Boomers      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 mateo45
Msg: 149
view profile
History
Motorcycles and Baby BoomersPage 10 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
Are you serious?! So what the heck's that 2-wheeled green & white thang you conspicuously included in your profile? Or maybe you'd like to quibble about the definition of "sportbike"?

Geez, and here I thought it was the gals who like to be "difficult"!
 TheLimey
Msg: 150
view profile
History
Motorcycles and Baby Boomers
Posted: 6/20/2011 6:05:30 PM
I guess you need to brush up on bikes. like I said, that's NOT a sport bike any more than a Nissan Altima is Ferrari.

& why are you checking out guys profiles?
 mateo45
Msg: 151
view profile
History
Posted: 6/20/2011 6:11:16 PM
LOL... now you're sounding like a typical (wannabe) HD rider!
 califcowboy1956
Msg: 152
Posted: 6/20/2011 7:13:20 PM
ur all curb riders or hog members-lol-people with no money or people with to much money and a fantasy
 TheLimey
Msg: 153
view profile
History
Posted: 6/20/2011 10:19:53 PM
Seriously? Are you just here to troll the forum? I had a HD.. owned it for 3 months. It was the most dangerous bike I've ever ridden. No power, no brakes, handled like a pig on rollerskates, over weight, over hyped & WAY over priced. You couldn't get me to ride another if they gave them away for free.

And just for the record: I won't ride any other cruisers either, no matter who makes them.
 RichenLosAngeles
Msg: 154
Posted: 6/23/2011 12:09:15 PM
My fantasy is getting mine to run. It's been in the garage since '94.
 Welsh474
Msg: 155
Posted: 6/24/2011 10:16:02 AM
^^Maybe it's just the caliber of men she's hanging out with - I've never had an issue. REAL men would have no problem with a women on a bike (unless they themselves don't like to ride).
 Pingshooter
Msg: 156
view profile
History
Posted: 6/24/2011 10:23:46 AM
No issue with those who ride their own..why would it be an issue?
 Divapr
Msg: 157
view profile
History
Posted: 6/24/2011 11:12:49 AM
I agree with AlisN dlan, whats wrong with just getting in a car instead. Or is this a something here in Florida. I am from the North.
 Welsh474
Msg: 158
Posted: 6/24/2011 11:40:49 AM
^^^ I'm sure that most of us also have a car or vehicle of some sort. Those of us that like to ride motorcycles have motorcycles. What's not to understand. And in doesn't much matter where you live, even folks in Alaska and Yukon have motorcycles.
 mateo45
Msg: 159
view profile
History
Posted: 6/29/2011 5:25:35 PM
@Welsh.... since you ride, I'm curious, what's your sense about dating guys who maybe have a very different type of bike than yourself... say if you had a HD or "cruiser" and they were into some kind of "sportbike" (aka "crotch-rocket")? Would it matter to you (long or short term), or do they really attract different "types"?
 vnufall
Msg: 160
Posted: 7/1/2011 4:25:59 PM
omg...almost every guy around my hood has a harley...i mean baby boomer men,....they seem to like a certain kind of woman with big breasts and long hair, i don't fit the profile. i'm an old nurse too and yeah i took care of plenty of motorcylce accident patients. one day on the way to work there was a back up of traffic...i was gonna be late, so i wanted to know what the problem was.....ran over, to see a young guy was on the ground. he had his helmet on, breathing, conscious,ambulance was called...ok...finally went to work...sure enuff the next day getting report at the hospital...he was my patient. i just think motorcycles are dangerous. to think a lot of states are getting rid of helmit laws too, thats another subject...lol.
 TheLimey
Msg: 161
view profile
History
Posted: 7/1/2011 8:14:50 PM
Getting rid of helmet laws stops stupid people from procreating, thereby increasing the collective IQ of the human race.
 Bassbob47
Msg: 162
view profile
History
Posted: 7/3/2011 5:45:57 PM
ive ridden motorcycles all my life , from Harleys , superbikes, chops.
Im 49 now , and still ove to ride , i ride a hardtail 650 chopper, completely custom built.
In this age of safety this , safety that, it feels great to get out on the bike, and****2 fingers at convention, because lets face it the world has become very safe and boring.
And to me thats not what life is about.
 Welsh474
Msg: 163
Posted: 7/4/2011 10:16:40 PM
Back at Mateo45 - I don't care what a guy rides. I am on my 4th harley and I've had a honda and a yamaha. I ride what I like because I can make them fit me, I'm short. As for guys and dating, I'd like a guy that rides as it's nice to have common interests. As for WHAT he rides, I don't care. I have a ton of friends I ride with and they have a variety of makes and models. I'm not a bike snob. I've dated guys with Goldwings, harelys and BMW's and one crazy fvcker on a hyosung. I just like to ride and hope to find a guy who likes to ride too.
 mateo45
Msg: 164
view profile
History
Posted: 7/5/2011 7:39:01 AM

...and one crazy fvcker on a hyosung.

mateo45
Msg: 165
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2011 11:18:27 AM
Oh come on now, are you saying you've never expressed any "strong feelings" here yourself?
And dunno, would 3 bikes be considered a "collection" ( a couple beemers and a kawi)? BTW, since we're talking to a bunch of other riders here, does anybody ever wonder once in awhile whether maybe it's time to either permanently park or sell the bike(s), especially after a "close call"?

Just from my own experience, have been pretty careful (and lucky) over 40-some years of pretty steady riding, but every so often the question does go thru my head that, "hey, I ain't getting any more "durable", and maybe it's finally "time"!

Anyone else ever get that idea, and is it a conscious decision to keep on riding as long as you still can, or do you just ignore it....?
 browneyesboo
Msg: 166
Posted: 7/6/2011 11:39:45 AM
When I was married, we had a collection of bikes, mostly british and classic, but
quite a few sprints also.
I've always ridden, but for some reason I slowed down for a few years when I had
my kids. When they got older I started riding again.

Now, I'd like to have another bike. I don't think I'm getting more durable, but it
was something I enjoyed and I'd like to enjoy it again.

But not on a harley.

and yeah, what's up with the pollyanna question of "conflicts." Are you new here?
 mateo45
Msg: 167
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2011 3:37:24 PM
Understood re: "fun" vs "confrontational". But seems like most motorcycle riders are nuthin' if not a "passionate" and "opinionated" bunch (some "brands" more than others)!

BTW, luv the brit bikes, but have little patience with "wrenching" (a "basket case" Norton kinda cured me of that)! Whatcha collecting or working on these days?
 ezlivin313
Msg: 168
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2011 4:09:49 PM
Hmmm.. at 13 I built my own go cart out of a Gemini 80 I stole(not proud of it) when I was a kid. Parted it out and had my own 3spd go cart. Kept it at a friends house bc his mom was ok with it. Traded it for a suzuki 175 at 15. Got my 1st Honda 750 at 19. By 21 I had a yamaha 7oo, yamaha 1200 & a Harley 84 1/2 tour classic. To this day(27yrs later) I still have my Harley! Got around 750,000(lol) miles on her. Only one starter, 3 batteries and 6 radios later... why get rid of her??
Some live a Harley only life, some ride a Harley only life.. as for me, I simply ride probably due to it was in my blood at an early age and the best thing is... I still have my same f uckin Harley all these years ... hooooo rah.. Steve aka: ezlivin313
 byzantium060
Msg: 169
Posted: 7/9/2011 11:41:54 AM
You used to hate us...........now you want to be us.
 MrPB
Msg: 170
Posted: 7/9/2011 2:48:19 PM
I am going to chime on on this one............
I have been riding since I was 9. Raced MX and Roadraced "back in the day". Now I am at the age a Cruiser for light touring is ideal.

In my opinion; Motorcycles are a way of life. Its not an addiction, its who we are as a person. We like to explore new things and places. We like how it makes us feel alive. We like how it keeps us young.

Sure things go wrong, any rider who has been riding as long as I have, have a few scares and pains from accidents. S#$% happens. You can't worry about what might happen, and you shouldn't let that slow you down.

Anyone who is on the highway, professionally, for recreation , or just to get to work knows the risks of highway travel, face it, it's freaking dangerous out there and you need to pay attention. Drive with the assumption that everyone is out to kill you.. because they pretty much are. That really goes for when driving in a car too, but with a car you have metal and airbags to give you a chance at survival. On a bike you have experience and wits.

I know nurses don't like bikes much, as they see the worst case scenario day in and day out. And if they choose not to ride, that's a shame, they are missing out on a wonderful way of life.
 mateo45
Msg: 171
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2011 6:10:56 PM
^^^^^ what they said!!!^^^^^

Yup, nuthin' quite like rolling along on a fine balmy day, carving sweeper curves past the forests, lakes & streams, and everything... you, the road, the sound of the engine and the balance of the bike, and nature all around... all feeling in perfect harmony! It's gotta be the nearest thing to "flying"!!!
 MrPB
Msg: 172
Posted: 7/10/2011 9:39:06 AM
A URAL you say.. nice. I have thought about those. From what owners tell me they are tough tough tough. Great for trips to northern BC and Alberta. : )
We have a URAL dealer in Kelowna now, so I must check them out one day soon.
 KAT4EVR
Msg: 173
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2011 4:33:50 PM
I don't think men in our age group are addicted to Harleys, I know a lot of men who ride other bikes. BMW, Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, Moto Guzi, CanAm (trike), Boss Hoss (car engine) and others. It is not a hobby for a lot of us, I use my bike to ride back and forth to work as many months as I can. I love to ride, I took two safety classes the beginner to get my license and the advanced to learn how to handle my beast better and it paid off for me many times. I rode over a dead groundhog one night, and did not drop the bike or cause any issues, I learned how to do it. ( I came on it on a curve, too late to swerve)
I own three helmets and while I cannot wear all of them at the same time, I wear one of them when I ride, I take a spare on a long road trip.
Yes, I have gotten drenched in a rain shower, got frost on my knees, sunburned but I would not give it up for love or money. One of my friends told me that I am a true biker. I smiled and said thanks for the compliment. I do not drink and ride, you have to have your wits about you at all times. I smile the minute the engine comes to life and I steer down the road.
My younger daughter loves Mom on a bike, I gave up riding until she was old enough to understand my need to ride, now she house sits for me when I go on my trips.
Maybe when I am in my 70's I will ride a trike, or maybe not.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Motorcycles and Baby Boomers