Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Motorcycles and Baby Boomers      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Welsh474
Msg: 26
Motorcycles and Baby BoomersPage 2 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
Just generalizing. If you don't like motorcycles or riders, so be it. We "weekend warriors" and "bad boys" don't mind. I ride with firemen, policemen, lawyers, farmers, mechanics, government workers, land scapers, business men and women and many others. Just ordinary folks enjoying an ordinary interest.

Yes, there are statistics. I've buried more friends from other illnesses and injuries than I have from motorcycle accidents. But it all boils down to - those that want to ride will and those that don't won't.

All of us that drive our cars, motorcycle, ski, snow machine, seadoo, mountain climb, bungee jump, hike, jog, golf, etc. try and be as careful as we can, none of us have a death wish. We find something we enjoy or have a passion for and do it.

And as an aside, if you were obese and lost some weight - good on you. But the skinny folks ARE going to die one day too, we all are. I like to live a healthy lifestyle too so I can golf, walk, dance, make love, live my life to the fullest and ride my motorcycle. Just eat the chocolate and forget about the cheesecake part and the fries.
 valenciacityx
Msg: 27
Motorcycles and Baby Boomers
Posted: 1/2/2011 9:52:46 PM
life is dangerous, if you are all too worried about it, you can stay on the couch.....

sold Harley-Davidsons for years. Average age of customer..... 42, most were mid life crisis things, several were divorces, and 1/3 of my customers were women. (national average is about 8%)
I have been riding since I was 5, if a girl ever says its me or the bike, ....it is indeed the bike I keep; and maybe go get another one to mourn or celebrate her leaving.

six bikes in the garage now ;)
Would I date a non biker....sure, I would never last through biking season though, history hasnt been full of shiny sucess stories for that evolution for me.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 28
Posted: 1/3/2011 7:53:17 AM
I've had my motorcycle license longer than my car license.
I've had several bikes, but none recently although I wouldn't mind
having another one day. I love riding.

I'll be honest and say I do laugh at the guys my age perched atop a bike
with their bad boy leathers, bandana and long (thin/baldish) grey hair
pony tail and unkept wild and crazy beard. Not something I find attractive
at all, no matter how hot I think the bike is.

People take risks all the time doing things they enjoy. As long as they don't
try to take people with them, not sure what the problem is. I enjoy riding,
so I'll do it and make every attempt not to leave my brains or guts on someone's
shoes.

c_deacon
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2011 12:44:42 PM
Some of us just like to ride and have most of our lives.

One could walk down the street and be killed, or drive that car for miles and mile and then "bang".... There are no totally safe forms of transportation, and for me, I would rather enjoy the experience and not just the destination.

cd......
 karma1160
Msg: 30
Posted: 1/3/2011 9:23:22 PM
Yea I can definitly relate to where your coming from OP.
I think people are into this, because they want to feel young again, but in reality how many bikes sit in the garage while their owners are out working themselves to death so that they can have a couple of chances a year to ride them.
Plus I think that hollywood has somehow made it oh so glamorous.
In reality people are putting their ego before there common sense.
I don't see anything wrong with having a little fun cruising around the countryside on a cycle.
However weaving in and out of traffic should be done by only the most alert, skilled and quick people on earth it is a talent. They used to hire people on bikes to courier packages around, that it would take too long inner city to get to their destination.
These people were hired by their speed and agility.
In Minneapolis/St paul you better be at your top game because we have people who own the road "don't you know".
I see people without helmuts all the time, would you ride on a roller coaster without a strap? Would you like your son to jump on a bike without a helmut?
This is absolutely insane! For all you people who think it is your life you ought to be able to do with it what you want. How about you spend a day in the emergency room, I will let you tell the parents of their 18 year old son who was all full of life and promise that he will be on a respirator for the rest of his God given days.
How about helping me fix up a corpse so the family can view it for the last time.
Wear your helmut if you want to ride!
 normaldude
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2011 9:45:07 PM
ITS HELMET!!!!! not helmut......sigh
 Molly Maude
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2011 1:32:13 AM
I've dated men with motorcycles ... but ... I'd have to be classified as one of the non-riders now ... at one point, I was on the back of a motorcycle going round a big, loopy curve with my right knee skimming above, almost touching the pavement about 11:30 p.m. one dark night ... and ... while it was exciting and just great fun ... suddenly, the vision of my daughter and young son came to me clearly ... and I knew that, if I were to die with the maniac on the bike ... they'd be alone ...

haven't ridden a motorcycle since ...

two of my sons, on the other hand, LOVE motorcycles ... the older one is paralyzed from T-2/T-3 ... (cancer, not the motorcycle) ... he got an older Harley with a side car, restored both ... modified it with hand controls in the side car ... at this point, he rolls his chair INTO the side car and controls the motorcycle from the side car ...

I suggested he get a giant stuffed toy bunny (think Harvey) and fasten the bunny onto the motorcycle ... he said he probably causes too many accidents as it is with the empty Harley ...

to each his own ...
 karma1160
Msg: 33
Posted: 1/4/2011 9:32:17 AM
Ahhhhhhh yes it is helmet, oops I must have been really tired, can you forgive me?
 TedJMill
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2011 10:15:39 AM
I'm a 52-year-old male, with definitely no interest in a motorcycle; I didn't even get past training wheels on a bicycle. My idea of freedom is a means of transportation where I can read a book.
 normaldude
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2011 11:58:35 AM
"Ahhhhhhh yes it is helmet, oops I must have been really tired, can you forgive me?"

of curse! I mean of course!!! obviously a non rider!~!!!! lol
 URXO2
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2011 1:21:54 PM
OP wrote:

I'm not condemning anyone for their interests: to each his own. It's just that I've spent too many years in too many Emergency Rooms with blood and brains on my shoes . .

OP, The learning curve on a motorcycle can be short and unforgiving statistics don't show the real picture. Those of us who grew up in the sixties had many motorcycles to learn on, countless bikes in the lower cc/hp range..today those small bikes are all but gone replaced by 250cc bikes with more horsepower than most of the largest bikes of the sixties and seventies..Not that you can't learn on these bikes but it's allot of power and speed for the novice..and most folks our age move right into a bigger bike with more weight and power, accidents waiting to happen, imo..
Are they dangerous?? no, but the inexperience rider is, you have to ride defensibly, stay proactive. I don't consider myself a biker, you'll never catch me with a rag tied to my head or tattooed trying to imitate the Hollywood biker image, but I am an enthusiast, mostly vintage..

OP, I see you're into horses, I can control a motorcycle much better than I can a spooked 1000lb animal. Went on a trail ride with some friends, Stable Horses (rental) four of us riding some rather steep trail, I was on the fourth horse the lead horse lost it's footing fell spooked the other three, mine bucked did a 180 and headed down the trail at a full gallop, felt like a jockey at the Derby, but that horse was spooked..Dangerous you bet....a horse took out superman what chance do I have...
give me a motorcycle any day....
 Molly Maude
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2011 4:23:42 PM
I've never understood riding a rented horse ... for me, it would be like petting someone else's cat or playing a game with a stranger's dog ...

you can't predict how someone else's pet is going to react to you, a stranger ...
 GingersnapWA2
Msg: 38
Posted: 1/6/2011 1:15:16 AM
AlisN1, I also noticed a large number of mens' profiles with motorcycles. It may have something to do with 'mid-life crisis; the men buy either a Harley or a sports car. As for myself... My brother suffered permanent injuries from a motorcycle wreck; I am Not about to get on one of those danged things. I doubt that a motorcyclist & non-biker would be compatible for a relationship, since the biker would want to spend most weekends at biker club events or road trips.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 39
Posted: 1/6/2011 2:37:34 AM

How about car accident? Everybody knows someone who has been in a car accident - some come out unscathed, some without an arm, or leg, head injuries and death. We all still drive cars.

Actually I don't; not if you're talking serious injury. I *was* in an accident where we were hit head on, and while both cars were totaled, all three people walked away with no more than bruises. Flip side, I've know a *lot* of peeps who have been in serious motorcycle accidents. In fact, everyone I have *ever* known who was in a cast for more than a year (three of them for four years) was injured on a bike. It has been of interest to me that you can be in a serious motorcycle accident while waiting for a traffic light.

But the death rate on motorcycles was nearly 32 times higher than for cars. One of the riskiest combinations in the database are men between ages 21 and 24 who drive motorcycles between midnight and 4 a.m. Their road fatality risk is 45,000 times higher than normal

http://www.foxnews.com/printer_friendly_wires/2007Jan18/0,4675,RoadRisks,00.html

I've been on the back of a bike. I didn't particularly enjoy it. I have been on the back of a horse happy to be galloping, and so was I. Virtually every guy I've ever been involved with seriously has had a motorcycle in his past. Some have had several. No one I've been *seriously* involved with for fifty years has had an active motorcycle obsession going at the time.

Live as you will. Allow others to do the same.

WaywardWynde
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2011 7:25:48 AM
There are three (3) INCREDIBLE physical experiences that aren't done lying down and don't require a partner.

1.) Sailing,

2.) Flying airplanes,

3.) Riding motorcycles.

For all you people driving beyond your personal limits and cracking up bike after bike after bike after bike ... of the three -- Sailing, Flying, Riding -- I only cracked up once, and that on a 55 cc motorbike I bent over making a right turn running a "yellowing, turning orange" light when I ran over a slick steel manhole cover. Even then I barely scratched my leg, picked up the motorbike, kicked the engine and drove off.

Like Dirty Harry Callahan said, "A man's gotta know his limitations".

Anyone who drives/flies/sails beyond his/her limits is DUMB. Anyone who drives/flies/sails WITHOUT FINDING OUT HIS/HER LIMITS is begging for trouble. If you're operating on fear, you WILL crash, probably sooner rather than later. Fear is bad, for it means you are operating beyond yourself.

BTW, _the_ most likely bike rider to have a fatal accident IS a rider with less than 2,000 miles ON THAT BIKE. The second most common is the person who always seems "to have accidents", down to and including cutting themselves with a kitchen knife or singeing their hair over a backyard bbq grill.

Some people should never ride ... or fly, or sail.

Of the three, flying is without question the best physical experience, probably because it's done in three dimensions.
 JerseyGirl2008
Msg: 41
Posted: 1/6/2011 10:05:29 AM
I'm a boomer and I'm not a fan of riding at all. I avoid it at all costs and just never saw the fascination with it. I'm too much of a girlie girl and hate what it does to my hair and makeup. lol

I try to avoid dating riders because sooner or later, they're complaining that I won't ride with them- even though I'd told them right up front that I'd rather have my gums set on fire than get on a motorcycle.
 platypus_man
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2011 12:00:22 PM
Being a rider for my entire adult life, I've found lots of people who started riding later in life to be profilers; people who want to be considered 'tough' and 'macho' so they grabbed onto the biker image to embrace that. Especially harley riders; real riders can easily see the true tough, independent people, and those who use the bike as an accessory to portray a more masculine image. It's especially easy to see when they say things like 'my harley' instead of 'my bike'. The over emphasis on 'harley' is the giveaway; other makes are more engineering advanced (and less expensive, to boot), so the vast majority of 'Harley' riders embrace the brand in an attempt to have people view them as more masculine than they really are. The vast majority of harley riders turn into wimps when injured in any way.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 44
Posted: 1/6/2011 1:48:32 PM

^^^Interestingly enough, I have been in a fatal sailing accident.

Odd, you can still type.......

Snort.

Perhaps it was merely an NDE.
 christ on a crutch
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2011 2:17:47 PM

those who use the bike as an accessory to portray a more masculine image. ... so the vast majority of 'Harley' riders embrace the brand in an attempt to have people view them as more masculine than they really are.

no kidding. harley is a triumph of corporate lifestyle image marketing, like chanel or blahnik. ironic that harley adherents can be so slavish, when the image they think they're purchasing is of outsider independence.
 Welsh474
Msg: 46
Posted: 1/6/2011 3:25:04 PM
I have a harley, this is my 4th harley but I've also had a yamaha and a honda. I just like to ride what I'm riding right now. Maybe my next bike will be a different brand, I don't know. And who cares, it's my ride.

Yes, us riders (for touring/cruising) seem to wear denim, leather, sunglasses, boots but in case you don't know - it's wise to where this type of clothing and in some areas it is the law. I couldn't take my "brush up my skills" course without a proper helmet, boots that covered my ankles and denim or leather pants and jacket.

Most crotch rockets, as I call them, are painted in fancy colours and the folks that ride them seem to all have matching bright coloured leather pants/jackets/jumpsuits. To each their own, I'm not going to knock them. I don't care what type of bike cranks your tractor, I just like to see someone else enjoy riding as much as I do,
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 47
Posted: 1/6/2011 3:58:39 PM
Riding a bike is right there next to flying in how much fun you get. Been riding for over 8 years now with no crushes. It has nothing to do with skill its just plain dumb luck i say. But had enough close calls at high speed in the canyons that i got no idea why my seat is not totaly brown yet. You never rode a bike untill you ride one at the limits right on the edge of losing control and crush. That feeling of being alive.
People who never do it would never understand it.
Same people say i shouldnt kayak out into the ocean alone miles from shore, its dangerus they say. But the feeling of being alone out there with the waves and your arms and back are yelling at you to stop. Make you feel alive. What i tell everyone. I never done drugs i never drunk alcohol i dont smoke heck i dont even drink coffee. The doc says im as healthy as can be....
Well i got to die from something. Might as well die from living...Im a biker a Kayaker and an Outdoorsman by choice.
 AintNoDeal
Msg: 48
Posted: 1/6/2011 10:04:50 PM

There are three (3) INCREDIBLE physical experiences that aren't done lying down and don't require a partner.
1.) Sailing,
2.) Flying airplanes,
3.) Riding motorcycles.

To each his own ------------
1.) Successful bowel movement after constipation
2.) Crawling on hands and knees over a field of broken glass
3.) Shutting off a noisy alarm clock late in the morning
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 49
Posted: 1/7/2011 12:03:33 PM
Interesting, really, how many of the "do-ers" here describe the need as a "way to feel alive." I'm not dissing them, just observing. As the mother of a baby/toddler/teenager who seemed to feel the need to put himself in danger, I got to looking around the literature. There's a body of work concerning what is called the "T-Factor." The T standing for thrill. Evidently there is a certain percentage of the population born with a relative inability to feel the sensations that the rest of us do. For these, there is an actual *need* to bring adrenaline into play in order to "feel alive." Therefore they engage in risky behavior, or they feel dead. If memory serves, it seems to be about five per cent of the population. The worse the deficit, the bigger the thrill needed.

Again: to each his/her own.

Live long and prosper!!
 Welsh474
Msg: 50
Posted: 1/7/2011 12:41:15 PM
As a rider I don't ride for the "thrill". I don't do anything for the "thrill".

Riding, like sailing, skiing, crocheting, bowling, golfing, and on and on is and interest, a hobby, a recreation. It is something I started doing because my husband got a bike shortly after we were married, when our youngest was 8 he got a bike and so did I. It was a family recreational interest. I kept riding even after my husband died, my son has a bike still and rides often.

It's just a nice way to spend your time. I've seen most of Canada, half the U.S., met a multitude of great folks along the way. I'm not a harley snob, I don't care what you ride. The closest group I can think of that comes close to what us riders do is the motorhome folks. They love the open road too and are always quick to chat and open to talking with "strangers".

It's just an fun way to travel.
 Welsh474
Msg: 52
Posted: 1/8/2011 8:06:28 AM
^^^I do agree with your opinion on "if I had to explain it, you wouldn't understand". I have never used that statement and find it condescending. I wouldn't like someone to say that to me if I asked about an interest in golf or art or anything else for that matter. If that particular statement was said to me I'd tell them to piss off.

I have one picture of my bike on my profile and the other three don't show my bike. I also have a number of other interests posted. Riding is just "one" of the many things that I enjoy. But the above poster is correct, how someone's profile is worded could make the person come off as elitist. I have seen the same in other profiles that show pics of someone with all kinds of dead fish, dead deer, etc. - it makes you think at ALL they do is hunt and fish when I'm sure they have a multitude of other interests. And I'm just using this as an example.

I would like to find someone that also rides a motorcycle but it is not a requirement. I've always thought that a couple should have share and seperate interests as it keeps things interesting. I would hope that someone would not discount me just because I ride a bike, we're passed over for enough reasons already - too short, too old, too tall, too fat, blonde, occupation, wears glasses, bald, and on and on.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Motorcycles and Baby Boomers