Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Motorcycles and Baby Boomers      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Welsh474
Msg: 51
Motorcycles and Baby BoomersPage 3 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
You meet the nicest people on a honda...

I don't necessarily agree that non riders and riders can't be compatible. I know many couple where he rides and she won't go on one at all. They some how work it out. I know one couple where he rides to wherever and she flys and meets him. I have known avid hunters and fisherman that take long hunting/fishing trips and the partner doesn't seem to mind. Avid golfers - gone every nice day in the spring/summer/fall. I have gal friends that jump on a plane and do the outlet shopping in Vegas. Couples can work things out, it's not impossible.
 1234deleted1234
Msg: 52
Motorcycles and Baby Boomers
Posted: 1/10/2011 12:59:32 AM

I don't look at men's profiles here (as I am a hetero-sexual male ISO a female companion)

REALLY? Well, I wouldn't want you on my team or in my foxhole!

STUDY thy enemy (or competition).

You want a good profile? Look at other men's profiles that are in your search range.....the ones that will pull up when searching for guys like you. Read some of your competitions profiles. Now everytime you roll your eyes at something...check you own profile for something similar and change/remove it!

That being said... I never have and never will own/ride a Harley!
 1234deleted1234
Msg: 53
Posted: 1/12/2011 12:25:07 AM

I have threatened I will make him ride biotch on my hog if he don't stop x, y, or z with no challengers. Gosh the unspoken fear of that spectacle is enough.

If they're that easily intimidated then they SHOULD be riding b!tch!

So all the "scary" tattoos and stuff is there to hide that they're easily woMANIPULATED?
 matchlight
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 1/13/2011 11:07:08 PM
I've had four bikes at one time or another (none of them a Harley.) I think a lot of how safe you are depends on how skillful and alert a rider you are. You also need to practice under all the different kinds of conditions you may run into: crosswinds, semis, interstate traffic, rain, darkness, etc. And you need to know and maintain your bike very well, so that you can sense right away if something's not quite right. Also, some bikes just feel much more stable than others because of their design, tires, etc.

Nothing's perfectly safe--including driving a car. People get killed in boats and airplanes, too. Everyone has to make their own calculation, but I don't believe motorcycles are ridiculously dangerous. At least not if you're very careful when you're riding one. Once someone gets used to riding on the back, their fear tends to fade away. You start by putting around a parking lot at about 10-15 mph, just to get the feel of how to hang on, which way to lean, etc. I'd never ride without a good helmet, or let anyone ride with me unless they had one on too.
 kari135
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2011 12:50:13 PM

Nothing's perfectly safe--including driving a car. People get killed in boats and airplanes, too. Everyone has to make their own calculation, but I don't believe motorcycles are ridiculously dangerous. At least not if you're very careful when you're riding one. Once someone gets used to riding on the back, their fear tends to fade away. You start by putting around a parking lot at about 10-15 mph, just to get the feel of how to hang on, which way to lean, etc. I'd never ride without a good helmet, or let anyone ride with me unless they had one on too.

Sometimes it just doesn't matter how careful and/or experienced you are, stuff happens.

Several years ago an old friend was killed on his bike on Whidbey Island. He'd been riding for about 40-45 years, always had the right gear and helmet. None of that mattered when a semi made a left turn into him, though. He died instantly and there wasn't anything big enough left of his classic 1920-something Indian that it couldn't have been swept up with a broom.

Would I still ride? You bet, if I could still see well enough to drive anything. Would I ride behind someone I didn't know? Hell no! There is such a thing as common sense.

But no one knows what the future holds, so we might as well enjoy what life has to offer today. Cripes, I just heard about someone - 42 or 44, IIRC - in my old home town who died ice skating.
 kari135
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2011 1:57:25 PM

So all the "scary" tattoos and stuff is there to hide that they're easily woMANIPULATED?

My husband had tats, so does my son. Neither one is or was manipulatable in any way - would have been amusing to see anyone try. Quite a few women I know have them also - nothing to do with bikes, they just like them. On the other hand, my friend who was killed by the semi was a work in progress - I'd estimate that 3/4 of his body was covered or at least had some outlines for future tats, but I never thought a collection of naked women and landscapes was scary in any way. I just thought it was more a waste of money - but it was his money to do with as he chose. He was the one who earned it, after all.

The only 'scary' ones I've seen are the DIY jailhouse tats, and it was those wearing them who were scary, not the tats themselves.
 Hippiekinkster
Msg: 57
Posted: 1/19/2011 11:46:28 PM
Welsh474: "^^^I do agree with your opinion on "if I had to explain it, you wouldn't understand". I have never used that statement and find it condescending. "

Bike-riding is the new Line-dancing.

I feel like that (explain/understand) about music. The difference is, when I'm playing with people, I'm creating something, even if we're only playing covers. As fun as riding a bike/jumping out of planes/rating beers/testing vibrators might be, one is, bottom line, just a consumer.

Given the choice between a woman who rides a Bike, and one who plays piano, I'll take the piano player. That's just my personal predeliction, based on my experiences.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2011 7:55:43 AM
"
I don't get it. So these married (as most bikers are) above median income (as most bikers are) baby boomers (meaning older than age 47) of which 1/3 have college degrees are buying bikes late in life or rediscovering motorcycling (ten percent of whom are women) because they "are unable to feel the sensations" that the rest of the population does?

Wierd."

Data analysis error, Consigliori. The fact that there are thrill seekers of a certain percentage, and that some of them gravitate to biking, doesn't mean that ALL bikers are thrill seekers, nor did the person posting about thrill seekers even hint at that. Perhaps you are over-sensitive in this area.

I used to want a bike of my own, and recently, with the price of gas shooting up again, I wish I COULD feel that I could become a bike owner. Maybe SOME of the recent rise in folks my age getting on bikes is just that: the dual desire to do something they always wanted to do, with the financial incentive of getting 50 MPG or more.
Myself, though, I think I'd want to tool around on a medium powered deal with a side car for added stability and visibility (and to carry stuff). I probably never will, though. Just can't afford it. Especially since I need a pickup truck first.
 Hippiekinkster
Msg: 59
Posted: 2/5/2011 4:08:20 PM
Hi Kari,

I happen to like textiles and have a couple small wool+natural dye rugs from Teotitlan del Valle, Oaxaca, in my house.

I get the wind in my hair by putting the top down on my Benz. Give me 4 wheels. I lost my older brother (who was US Hillclimbing champ back in the early 60s, for one year at least, apparently) to a train in Mexico. The woman he was with (stepbro's ex) bailed before he hit the train. She got pretty messed up. Of course, he was nuts, totally fearless. My stepbrother, who did 2.5 tours in Nam commanding 400 guys in an engineering unit (the guys who cleared jungle and tunnels) told me he'd never been so scared in his life as when he once rode with Butch. That's saying something.

My niece, Butch's daughter, has jumped out of airplanes over 600 times. She's taught skydiving. Me, I did some other insane stuff when I was younger. I guess it runs in the family.

But I'll stay off of bikes, TYVM.
 scottey63
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 2/7/2011 10:59:30 AM
I don't think this is the exclusive realm of men. I see plenty of womens' profiles who mention motorcycles at least twice in their profiles.
 wayfarer4you
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 2/7/2011 11:19:23 PM
Getting out the soap box( its getting a workout tonight ).....
I choose to ride and live the life style of a BIKER . I live life 22 seconds in front of me and thats my choice .
I've also been hit by cars ,blew tires ,tossed a few chains and lived to tell the tail and yes some of my brothers have gone on to a better place ,but went out doing what they Loved more then anything .
Some had children, wifes ,lovers and alot of friends ,but they knew going in what that brother was a biker ,living life ,loving there life and enjoying every second with there S.O. ...
AS I said this is a life style ,Not what you see on T.V ,not for everyone and if your lucky enough to find a good women who shares the passion I and my brothers have then life is good and its all gravy ,,,,Now where was I ? oh heck Its alright I have parts to get on the bike ,never mind ,you would never understand
 christ on a crutch
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2011 12:33:37 PM

Its alright I have parts to get on the bike ,never mind ,you would never understand

on the contrary, those of us who make different choices DO understand. you like riding, you take the risk. others have a different set of experiences and priorities. how can anyone not understand that not everyone lives life the same way?
 jackfouru
Msg: 63
Posted: 2/9/2011 12:26:39 PM
I'm a boomer and I'm not a fan of riding at all. I avoid it at all costs and just never saw the fascination with it. I'm too much of a girlie girl and hate what it does to my hair and makeup. lol

I'm with you. To me, the risks of riding far outweigh the benefits. I've seen far too many people seriously maimed by riding bikes. And no matter how safely you ride, there is always a driver who is not going to notice you. Also, sooner or later EVERYBODY is in an auto accident. I've been rearended hard enough on at least two occassions that I would have been killed if on a bike.

Now I do like risky sports. I love to ski . . . too fast. I like to Scube dive. I used to ride my bicycle day and night all over the place. But riding on a Harley down a highway, waiting for a car to pull out in front of me or hit me from behind? No thanks. To me it is simply an unreasonable risk given the return.

But I'm not worried about what it does to my hair or makeup :-)
 jackfouru
Msg: 64
Posted: 2/9/2011 12:54:12 PM
Hey Body, I got ya. I know lots of guys who ride. Heck, some of my friends go on cross country trips together. But you know what I do for a living, and I have seen far too many buy it far too early. To each his own of course. I just know I am too impulsive and would take too many risks on a bike. I would likely kill myself.
 abelian
Msg: 65
Posted: 2/10/2011 3:57:05 PM

To put it into perspective, the probability of dying while on a bike is 0.000000334 per passenger mile, while for cars it's 0.000000013. The point being is that 16 times a really small number is still a really small number.

And I think he makes a good point. Your chances of dying from heart disease or cancer are a lot greater than dying in a motor vehicle accident - but you don’t see a lot of people out there getting healthy to avoid that threat.

Huh? The ratio of those odds is more like 25.7 and who rides only 1 mile? (I drove a bike for several years as my only form of transportation and I'll probably buy another supersport bike, so I have nothing against bikes. I am however, realistic and I don't trivialize the odds.) First, the odds above mean that you you have the same odds of dying if you drive 25,700 miles in a car or 1000 miles on a motorcycle. Those odds are about 1 in 2990. If you drive 25700 miles on a bike, your odds of dying are about 1 in 116, which is the same as for driving about 660,500 miles in a car. On the other hand, your lifetime odds of dying of heart disease are 1 in 6 (this assumes you will die of something, so if you live to 80 and die of a heart attack, you're still doing pretty well, considering you are going to die.)
 abelian
Msg: 66
Posted: 2/11/2011 2:24:57 PM

That’s a lifetime of driving. I don’t know, but I’m willing to wager, that most motorcycle riders do not ride 26,000 miles in a lifetime.

That's weird. During the 2-3 years I had mine, I put about 15,000 miles on it and I lived in a small college town. I put 1000 miles on it the first weekend just because I was supposed to break it in before I could redline it. I can't see much point in owning a bike if you don't drive it.

It’s a remote risk. If you don't like the odds, stay in bed.

As I said, I like riding and I intend to get another bike, so the odds don't bother me. In fact, most of the time I rode without a helmet and in nice whether, I rode around the lake wearing nothing but shorts and flip-flops. I just don't trivialize the numbers to make the odds seem better than they are.
 christ on a crutch
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 2/11/2011 5:09:51 PM

Your chances of dying from heart disease or cancer are a lot greater than dying in a motor vehicle accident - but you don’t see a lot of people out there getting healthy to avoid that threat.

i do, but they're hiding. inside my gym.
 satx78218
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2011 1:36:06 PM
It's the same old story, over and over and over.

The key to quality of (long) life is lean weight through healthy nutrition, and plenty of exercise, both cardio and resistance (maintain muscle bulk).

There have been a couple of reports lately of (3 hours of intense cardio/week) exercise reducing a man's risk of death by prostate cancer by 50%.

My guess is that most of the 20K+ men/year who die from prostate cancer are probably the typical American male at 60+ years: with co-morbidities of (pre-)diabetic, CVD, hypertension, smoker, overweight (especially the nasty visceral/gut fat), completely unfit.
 kari135
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2011 4:37:27 PM

With an average annual driving distance of 12,000 miles, joe citizen must drive for 55 years to put 660,500 miles on a car. That’s a lifetime of driving. I don’t know, but I’m willing to wager, that most motorcycle riders do not ride 26,000 miles in a lifetime. It’s a remote risk. If you don't like the odds, stay in bed.

Where is this magical land? I spent 31 years in a small town on an island with a closed road system, and I never drove less than 25,000+/year. One summer I took my kids off island and drove 11,000 miles in less than two months!

***boggled and scratching head...***
 SEAGURL
Msg: 70
Posted: 2/18/2011 2:54:53 PM
I think the original question was about the number of men who are into motorcycles, not whether it is good or bad, fun or not, a deal breaker or not, etc. Personally, when I hear all of the people say that "horseback riding is dangerous too" and other not even close comparisons, I urge all riders to google the source of most organs harvested for transplant. It is from motorcycle accidents that proved fatal. Not horseback riding, not walking across the street, etc.
A former ER worker myself, there will be no bikes in my future.

And dying happy with the wind in your hair might be cool, but living for another 25 years in a coma, brain damaged or paralysed .......probably not. There are worse things than dying. But to each his or her own. Just don't even ask me to ride. But from the last 6 years or so on POF, I have come to realize that men look at pictures. They do not (some do) read what we write necessarily, so I get biker after biker asking me to go on a cruise when I state plainly in my profile that I HATE MOTORCYCLES !
 foffeefifo
Msg: 71
Posted: 3/12/2011 11:31:33 AM
I gotta say, 80 percent of the profiles of the men on the eastern shore ALL show them standing with steadfast pride next to their bike, seated like God on his bike, and not one photo, but they shoot the bike at every angle LOL.

And 50 percent of this group also include a picture of their boat, or their restored muscle car or brand new huge black Silverado they faithfully drive to every NASCAR event in Maryland, Delaware,North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and Florida.

And then 30 percent of that 50 percent group with the bike and the car and the boat or THE Truck, also include that final trophy, that final proof that they are a MAN of substance who has arrived!!! There's a photo of him, bliss from ear to ear, holding aloft this huge mother fish, or the cowboy boot foot on the body of the 8 pointer he nailed, holding his rifle like a scepter. LOL

It's second childhood for some of these men, or their reward for towing the line like a good little boy their entire life, now they can feel like a "bad" boy. It's just part of the mind set down here, REAL men ride Harleys, hunt, fish and have either that throwback muscle car or a monster truck. Good ole boyz all.
 Welsh474
Msg: 72
Posted: 3/12/2011 9:03:48 PM
I've been riding motorcycles for 25 years and the guys in my circle that ride motorcycles are - farmers, mechanics, lawyers, dentists, bankers, policemen, firemen, salesmen, business owners, truck drivers, aircraft engineers and all kinds and sorts of retired guys. If those out there want to make assumptions - go ahead. We all do it. We all have opinions on the folks hanging out in bingo halls, art gallerys, hockey rinks, baseball fields, football games as well as the hunters and fisherman out there.

We all do what interest us. We all continue with interests or get new ones when time, money or a combination of both arises. None of these things truly define us, it's just one more facet of what makes us who we are.

Thank goodness there is a variety of folks that make up this wonderful world because it would be pretty boring if we were all the same. An open mind is a terrible thing to waste. And it all comes down to "to each their own". Gotta love it.
 christ on a crutch
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2011 11:51:56 PM

It's just part of the mind set down here, REAL men ride Harleys, hunt, fish and have either that throwback muscle car or a monster truck.

well, i can't speak for other men - and certainly not for women - but i have a lot of photos of my four-wheel drive, raised truck. not because i need to keep some kind of record of my manhood, but because that truck has been part of some of the most significant experiences of my life.

it has taken me to some of the most beautiful, remote mountain and desert places on the planet. where i could see the heavens wheeling above and land stretching below like i was sitting on the shoulder of a god. where the solitude and quiet were so big it was like being in another universe. where i could easily get to places so pristine, my boots were probably the second set on that ground in a hundred years.

a bit like, say, the sneakers you were wearing during the last conversation you had with your dad before he died. just a pair of shoes, perfectly mundane to anyone else, but symbolizing something intimate and vital to their owner.
 WalksOnWater2
Msg: 74
Posted: 3/13/2011 8:38:48 PM
A good friend of mine age 62 and retired for a couple of years now, just bought a big Harley (yesterday) and called to tell me about it. He's pissing in his pants with happiness.
He never had a bike and he will take the safety class in April. In the meantime he's buying stuff (the gloves, the leathers, boots, the stereo, etc.) I told him to get a helmet.

Honestly? I am scared shitless for him.
He worked for 30 years as a fireman before he retired, and he told me once that for 30 years (between work, side jobs and raising two young kids) he couldn't smoke pot, have longer hair, get properly drunk, bum around in general. Now he said he will do it all.

For me, bikes have been different things at different times over the years. Transportation, fun, part of the camaraderie among my peers, adventure, the zen experience of nature, travel and the ultimate vacation vehicle.

But for some like my friend, it is like buying a second chance to youth, it is what they always wanted and now can have and enjoy, and even though the know the risk, they willingly take it, because for them it is a symbol of freedom, of 'can do' and of 'look at me now".

archimeded
Msg: 75
Posted: 3/20/2011 6:10:14 AM
This thread is cracking me up to read. Just because you ride a harley doesnt mean your into big trucks, NASCAR , fishing, hunting and all the other "manly" sports. Your also not just a catagory of person owning a Harley as leather wearing dirtbag complete with all the other negative stereotypes that go along with it.

I wont speak for other riders but for me its all about freedom. I have had and continue to have hobbies that are dangerous. My Harley is one of them but its not the only one...and I am highly educated, mature, have kids etc.

I get so tired of the parents and friends of mine that tell me I shouldnt do this or that hobby now because my kids are pre-teen and they need there "Dad"...like my intent is to kill myself. When you get right down to it they are just to damn scared to live life the way they want to and would rather hide behind the TV on the couch and not enjoy life.

Anyway just my two cents if a man or a woman wants to own a hog, skydive, swim with sharks...that is thier choice. If you arent an adventurous person then look elsewhere because your not going to corral a free spirit by nagging them into submission...
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Motorcycles and Baby Boomers