Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Motorcycles and Baby Boomers      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 abelian
Msg: 101
Motorcycles and Baby BoomersPage 5 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)

We also know that the unenlightened - the non-HD riding population - suffer from malignant preconceptions of HD riders (and would prefer that was not the case) because we can be loud, fast, shiny, wear black leather, often ride in groups and are different than they are because they wouldn’t ride a motorcycle (all of which originated long before outlaw groups were conceived, and for reasons having nothing to do with outlaws and everything to do with motorcycling

Since the only bikes I want to ride are supersport bikes, I imagine that includes me. However, my preconception about HD riders is, ``Why would anyone pay a lot of money for such a dog. For half the price, I can buy a bike that is a lot faster, handles infinitely better and doesn't fall apart.''
 Welsh474
Msg: 102
Motorcycles and Baby Boomers
Posted: 4/11/2011 3:11:34 PM
And the Ford guys piss on the Dodge boys, and so on and so on. Who really cares, we all ride what we want for what ever reason that happens to make us happy. Simple really. I don't see a problem with any of it, that's what choice is all about.

As for marketing and somehow telling us lies, etc., we are bombarded with all forms of marketing, images of things we don't need, etc. on a daily basis - I'm a grownup so again, I have choices.
 OutMind
Msg: 103
Posted: 4/12/2011 10:57:16 AM
Whether you like it or not, or admitted or not, this machine is an extension of your personality, of your ego, of what it feels to do something when you do not have to answer to anyone but yourself. So if you want to absorb, or understand, or relate to a look, that is your choice, that is what makes you happy. There are people here that ride one type of bike, there are those that ride both. There also those that ride bicycles instead. The important thing is that you go out there, you enjoy it out there. If others criticize you from the distance, saying that yo are a fake, an outlaw, a product of marketing, so what. It is your choice. If you put the leather clothes, ride the bike and still feel uncomfortable, then quit, and you have an argument. But if at the end of the day you have a smile that goes from ear to ear, you have the memories of some awesome places, incredible experiences then it's all worth it.

The other thing that the naysayers do not realize is that men love to belong to a tribe, a band of brothers, brought together because they do something that not everybody understands. There are women that also love this, either through their man, or on their own design.
 christ on a crutch
Msg: 104
view profile
History
Posted: 4/12/2011 4:02:00 PM

“LIED TO”? That’s pretty strong Christ. Sure there’s a lot of marketing going on - what company doesn’t do that? I’m pretty partial to John Deere. JD spends a fortune on children’s videos, junior Ts, collector’s models -stuff that has nothing to do with making a good tractor. How does that make the farmers who ride them blinded by manipulation?

there's more than one kind of marketing. deere farm equipment is not a lifestyle product, so its pitch doesn't seek to tap into anyone's emotional circumstances.

in this discussion, it's the apple to harley's orange.

Tell me of a company, American or otherwise that has not used marketing, has not tried to pull the emotional strings of their customers. There's no such thing. And if they were, they are right now out of business.

the fallacy of appeal to common practice. a lie is no less an ethical breach if one person tells it, or a thousand.
 OutMind
Msg: 105
Posted: 4/12/2011 5:30:21 PM
so its pitch doesn't seek to tap into anyone's emotional circumstances.

Totally wrong. Have you seen how emotional some of the AWARD winning ads for John Deere have been. ALL marketing tries FIRST to connect to you emotionally. Any marketer that does not understand that, well will have their product go out of business in less than a year.

So dude, that is reality. That is every single American company that at some point hired an Ad Agency, A PR agency or had an in-house Marketing and Communication's department.

Also reaching your emotional strings do not make what they say a lie. These companies can get sued and are sued when a statement that they make may feel that is stretching the truth too much.

So would you then say that Nike is the ultimate lier, because the sold you the ultimate line "Just do it". The damn shoes don't make you do a dam n thing. YOU DO IT. So what a lie. No, they were trying to connect with their audience. And that was, and still is that, if it rains, you run, if its horrible, you run, if it's awesome, you run. YOU JUST DO IT.

Every single product you buy in the USA is sold under two equation, one is the value of the Brand. You can drink discount cola, but most people drink either Coke or Pepsi. If you grab a Pabts Blue Ribbon beer, you will realize that was considered s hit not to long ago. But it's counter culture, it says, we drink our own American made stuff.
Pabts, like Harley work hard at working that image. The other thing is price. Cheap, cheap, cheap. But we all buy into that. But I would rather have a beef with Walmart and how they destroy complete towns, give nothing but cheap jobs and make everything for cheap in China. So if my Harley breaks down, God bless, I take it to my mechanic, who while fixing it, gives me a beer, talks about some place to go this weekend and has a job HERE.

So I respect companies like Harley. I used to only buy European cars, then had a couple of Japanese cars, which are awesome. But Like Harley I bought into the emotional connection of an American company, Jeep. I have since been through three of them. I love my Jeep. And I am proud that is made here, keeping jobs here, feeding people here.

Oh, but it's al an emotional lie about buying a product. Some Kia or something else, like the Subaru who used Lance Armstrong in their advertising for years should have lured me. Nope. Jeep. American made. So keep making Harleys, keep making Indians, keep making American products.
 MsMicki
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Posted: 4/12/2011 9:05:08 PM

deere farm equipment is not a lifestyle product, so its pitch doesn't seek to tap into anyone's emotional circumstances.

You might want to come to Indiana.......where some people (and not just farmers)
eat, breath and live John Deere!! I know a few people who's whole kitchens are decorated in John Deere and they aren't farmers! One lady I know has a John Deere
tattoo because her Dad had a classic JD tractor......that she now has after his death.
It's parked in her 2 car garage, right in the middle of suburbia! She drives it in the local town parade every year.
 ohenryx
Msg: 107
view profile
History
Posted: 4/13/2011 6:20:42 AM

So I respect companies like Harley. I used to only buy European cars, then had a couple of Japanese cars, which are awesome. But Like Harley I bought into the emotional connection of an American company, Jeep. I have since been through three of them. I love my Jeep. And I am proud that is made here, keeping jobs here, feeding people here.

Automotive manufacturing has become a global enterprise. While Jeeps are "assembled" here in the USA, so are most Toyotas and Nissans. I went looking for a quick reference on how much of the parts going into a Jeep are actually made here, and the only reference I could find quickly stated that for the 2008 model year, 71% of the Jeep Cherokee was made in the USA. More than 25% of your Jeep was made overseas.

I respect what you are saying about "buying American", but unfortunately that is becoming harder and harder to do.
 wayfarer4you
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 4/29/2011 10:15:19 PM
Op I've lived the biker life style most of my life and found that most non riders dont understand the lifestyle but yes a non rider can be with a rider as long as you understand that it's in your blood(biking )the not knowing where your going just enjoying ride and the folks who know what the lifestyle and life is all about ... its like a drug you cant wait for the next fix and when you dont ride you jones till you have to ride''
 Welsh474
Msg: 109
Posted: 5/5/2011 7:17:30 PM
Dave - "1) I am in my late 40's...... 2) I am under 6' tall....3) I don't own a Harley..."
Try being a woman over 5o that doesn't look like a 25 year old Barbie Doll and you'll know what the word "invisible" means. You're a great looking guy, you'll find someone - that's what "they" tell me..... My harley gives me something to do, takes me places, gets me out with friends, and gives me some joy instead of banging my head against the wall and sitting around the house. I've enjoyed it for 25 years, why give it up.
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 110
Posted: 5/5/2011 8:39:32 PM
Is there realy is a diffrence why a 40 year old guy rides a bike compare to to a 25 year old??? Should there be a diffrent reason for an older guy to love to ride a bike??? Its the rush baby its the rush when you hit the canyons and you are leaning deep into the turn... Now that is a rush same for younger or older... Thats why we ride.
 crustyold
Msg: 111
Posted: 5/9/2011 4:11:10 AM
where too start....

been riden all my life, my mother was pregnant with me, so maybe even longer..

own a low rider back in the early 80s..

was married 17 years...

so, now.......i am 5/11..53 years old, have 1982 mod XS1100 yammy, plus an old harley i am doen up & 2 other xs100, have a camper trailer i tow, as old too sleep on the ground.......not really..
i am the first aid officer with our motor bike club too

never with out a date if i choise too date, almost 1/2 our members are girls who ride their own bikes in the club, so the bike has nothing too do with it, its about just who you are, what you stand for, not what you ride or have, if thats the case, look somewhere else
 Welsh474
Msg: 112
Posted: 5/9/2011 3:06:28 PM
I've said all along, we all have our own interests, hobbies, recreational activities, creative outlets, etc. It's a to each their own type of thing. If travelling by motorcycle doesn't interest you, look for someone else. If the motorhome lifestyle doesn't interest you, look for somewhere else. All of us, especially at this age, should be doing what we enjoy and not putting it on the back shelf to accommodate our kids or whom ever else we have in our life.

I know I won't be looking for a couch surfer who is only interested in watching football, hockey and basketball for excitement.

This is the age where we not only seem to have the time, we have the funds for quads, motorcycles, motorhomes, cruises, winters in Florida, art courses, writing classes, etc. Do what you like, find a partner to either join you, respects what you're interested in and vice versa. Folks need to lighten up when they come across someone who has different interests than they do, ie. motorcycles. Click on the next profile.
 Delta23879
Msg: 113
Posted: 5/10/2011 9:00:29 AM
If they are into Harley Davidsons they are not really into motorcycles, they are just into HDs. Very clever marketing, they probably make more out of the merchandise and the cult thing than they do out of selling bikes.
 Welsh474
Msg: 114
Posted: 5/10/2011 9:19:12 AM
Maybe read back a few pages, we've discussed the H.D. issue to death.

Still boils down to if you like bikes, ride em. If you don't like bikes, don't ride em. If you want a Honda, buy one. If you want an H.D., buy one. Geez, is it so tough to figure out?
 browneyesboo
Msg: 115
Posted: 5/10/2011 9:20:28 AM

Isn't that kind of like saying, "if they are into Jack Russell Terriers they are not really into dogs, they are just into JRTs"?

Are you really suggesting that there are not people out there that ONLY like
harley davidsons? I know lots of guys that aren't really into bikes, unless it's
their bike. For them no other type of bike exists...so yeah, they aren't really
into bikes, they're into harleys.

I'm like that with my cat. I've never liked cats, never had one.
Then I got izzy. I don't like cats...but I like izzy.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 116
Posted: 5/11/2011 7:04:30 AM

Nah. They’re also into Indians, Triumphs, Enfields, custom choppers, vintage Aermaccis, Bultacos, and occasionally BMWs or Ducatis.

For someone who was touting the americanism of harleys earlier
(pauses while typing to wave a flag) you're being obtuse and you know it.
I'm impressed with your motorcycle vocabulary (yawn), but I've been
to many british and vintage bike meets and I know (and you do as well)
that there is an entire population out there that believe only harleys exist.
Now that's not true with you (and certainly not with me) but please don't
patronize me and pretend it isn't true.

And yeah, that is great deductive reasoning. It can work for just about
anything. For instance I like guys, but it doesn't mean I like all of them.
 mateo45
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Posted: 5/14/2011 5:15:45 PM
I hope someone has already mentioned that the middle age cruiser riders (aka, HD and their clones), are sort of a recent motorcycle phenom that seems to have hit some of the older 'Boomers, kinda like needing to go out and get that Corvette, boat, etc. now that you can afford it and there's still time. Problem is, for a lot of these guys, they may not have been on a bike (especially a big one, or with a passenger) since they were in their 20's, if ever.

Which is also why the middle-age biker demographic is currently the largest and fastest growing accident age group (which had previously been decreasing).

More middle-aged men crashing bikes more often: http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/04/01/3179370.htm
 mateo45
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Posted: 5/14/2011 5:27:19 PM
Oh, and I should probably mention that, as a category of motorcycles, the big "cruisers", being much heavier than other bikes, are not always that easy to handle or very "forgiving" of mistakes, especially for the "less experienced". Still, motorcycles can be a terrific experience, and it's simply a "managed risk" (kinda like flying), that probably says as much about the folks that avoid them, as it does their fans.
 Welsh474
Msg: 119
Posted: 5/23/2011 5:39:10 PM
I've been riding a bike for 25 years, I am riding my 4th harley and I'll date a guy that has a harley, a honda, a yamaha, a BMW - I don't care. All bikes are good, none are better than others and it just depends on what you like and to say that one is better than another is just silly. It's the rider not the ride. Hell, I'll even date someone who doesn't have a bike.
 c_deacon
Msg: 120
view profile
History
Posted: 5/24/2011 9:46:39 AM
Just as some prefer a BMW, or Sport Car, over a Ford or Chevy.....so do others prefer a Harley over other bikes. It does not matter as long as you are happy with your choices and actually get out and ride!

I consider riding a Harley like owning a swimming pool.....if you have to ask how much it costs and how much to keep it looking good....you really can not afford it!.....

Just as I know those that have their 1990 Honda Civic up on blocks in their garage, working on them all the time, so do I know those that have motorcycles, but really can not afford to keep them going with repairs, insurance, tags and taxes.

It is just better for those who must have a single form of transportation...to have one that is reliable day and night, year round, and not consider a luxury until they can afford it!!

cd.......
 GingersnapWA2
Msg: 121
Posted: 6/7/2011 7:26:22 PM
Okay, I am going to have to retract my earlier anti-motorcycle statement. I took my first ride on the back of a Harly last week end, and it was a real kick in the pants! I really enjoyed it, and would definitely do it again. The guy who gave me the ride is gone, but that's okay. I been bit by the motorcycle bug now...tee hee
 Welsh474
Msg: 122
Posted: 6/7/2011 8:40:17 PM
Oh geez, that's how it starts - a guy on two wheels...you're now one of us. You'll look at leather in a whole new way, you'll see the world through different eyes - the colours will be brighter, the sun warmer, the smells will fill your brain - you will smell every field growing, every flower blooming, you'll smell the rain before it ever falls from the sky, you can taste the honey from the bee that hit your fingers on your handgrips, you will feel power between your legs you never knew you had. It starts small and then builds....it's romance and passion. You'll tell your friends all about it, your Dad will pat you on the back and say "that's my girl", people will be envious. And you will smile that little smile that only another biker will recognize.
Welcome and have respect for the road ahead.
 GingersnapWA2
Msg: 123
Posted: 6/8/2011 7:14:47 PM
Actually, my dad was looking down from heaven, wondering if his little girl has completely lost her mind! Dad always was a bit overprotective..
 califcowboy1956
Msg: 124
Posted: 6/15/2011 8:24:38 PM
i started with motorcycles at the age of 12 n still have a passion for them yes.but by all means if ur afraid in this world then u need to find an accountant n stay home when ur not working.the motocycle seems like the least dangerous thing in my life.i been falling redwood trees for 35 yrs now n thank god everyday i come home on my own.many of my friends haven't.i'm not going to stop living because of fear.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 125
view profile
History
Posted: 6/16/2011 6:33:05 PM
The thing I don't understand is the need for noise to prove your Harleyness. Spent a weekend recently in a pristine campground in the Cherokee Forest, apparently favored by bikers, where the quiet was lambasted by the hoards of conformist, "non-conformists" making the exact same obnoxious sounds to herald their passing, while the Goldwing boomers, passed by un-noticed by comparrison. Kids once put cards on their bicycle spokes to make artificial noise for effect. Some kids never got over it. Sounds like a need for acknowledgement that some kids still cannot get over, but for their new noise machines. Sorry folks, but this is shallow, and noisy sh*t. Not amusing.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Motorcycles and Baby Boomers