Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Motorcycles and Baby Boomers      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 mateo45
Msg: 102
view profile
History
Motorcycles and Baby BoomersPage 7 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
'Ya know, when you see here how strongly folks feel not only just about their bike, but about the whole "culture" & "lifestyle" surrounding motorcycles in general (regardless of brand), it's clear this has much more meaning to them than simply any "hobby" or "machine", or even "mid-life crisis".
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Motorcycles and Baby Boomers
Posted: 6/20/2011 2:55:27 PM
"Neither of us is going to win this debate, I'll ride what I want and you won't. You'll think I'm an idiot with loud pipes and I'll keep my loud pipes and I'll do my best when riding to be a little more aware of folks like you."

Taint a debate Welsh...Just letting ya know that most folks outside of the loud pipe culture find them quite obnoxious. We have a great free outdoor music venue on Friday nights in the summer and then it became a place to be seen by the Harley crowd. Two whole blocks were dedicated to bike parking. It got so obnoxious that Doc Watson stopped in mid-performance to note that he could hardly hear himself play and that he would probably never come back. They took their toys in a huff and ran across town for a season to the Harley dealership for their own concerts. That venue failed and they are again blasting the Nightfall venue. For every Harley loud pipe affectionado who does it for safety reasons, I would venture to guess there are several that do it for the attention. Loud pipes in pristine public lands are also an affront. Afraid the bear and antelope won't hear ya?

I rode for a couple of decades, mostly for cheaper commuting and road trips, and the buzz of course. I am a bit more aware of bikes than the average bear in a SUV or Minivan, or boom boom car. There are a lot of new riders on the road now, most without a lifetime of riding experience, enamoured by speed and quick lane changes, converging at the same time as 4 wheel vehicle drivers full of multi-task distractions, talking on cell phones, while changing the music, looking at the GPS, sipping coffee and eating scones. I notice a lot of the new yuppie Harley and sport bike riders are considerably lesss conscious of staying out of the blind zones. Fine if you want to be heard, but most car sound systems will cancel out the loudest of pipes till it's too late. Better to be seen more than heard.
 TheLimey
Msg: 104
view profile
History
Posted: 6/20/2011 3:47:58 PM
Culture & lifestyle? Give me a break, it was probably invented by the guys in Harleys marketing dept to sell more crap. They'd sell turds with HD logos if the FDA would let them... AND some people would buy them...
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Posted: 6/20/2011 4:07:10 PM
Love what the Patriot Guard does. In Mississippi, the Westboro hate-mongers did't even get out of the motel parking lot as trucks and bikes blocked them in. Nashville was also a great defeat of those idiots.

Brain buckets are a good idea. I remember when bikers converged on Madison, WI to protest a mandatory bike helmut law and two fell going up and down the steps on their bikes and went to the hospital with brain injuries. Not a shining moment in making a statement.
 mateo45
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Posted: 6/20/2011 5:13:13 PM

Culture & lifestyle? Give me a break, it was probably invented by the guys in Harleys marketing dept to sell more crap. They'd sell turds with HD logos if the FDA would let them... AND some people would buy them...

Well, I'm not into HD, and anyway I use the term "culture" loosely (LOL)! But I also notice you have a sportbike (aka "crotch-rocket") prominently featured in your profile. So are you saying that your bike is just another "machine" and has no emotional attachment? Or that sportbike riders don't have a unique "culture" of their own (different from say, "cruisers", "off-road", or "touring" riders)?
 Pingshooter
Msg: 107
view profile
History
Posted: 6/20/2011 5:21:37 PM

AND ALWAYS WITH A HELMET!!

ATGATT..All the gear, all the time.
 TheLimey
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 6/20/2011 5:40:30 PM
Excuse me? I don't have a sport bike in my profile. I don't do the "looks like monkey fu*king a football" style of riding or the Cruiser/Buick/rolling roadblock style either.
Sport bikes are too uncomfortable unless you're only going to the end of your driveway & the entire cruiser thing has the mentality of people who think the epitome of car design/performance/brakes & safety was the '55 Buick. Why the hell would anyone want a bike that runs out of ground clearance & puts you in the ditch on a bend that you can't even negotiate at LESS than the posted speed limit?
 mateo45
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Posted: 6/20/2011 6:03:05 PM
Are you serious?! So what the heck's that 2-wheeled green & white thang you conspicuously included in your profile? Or maybe you'd like to quibble about the definition of "sportbike"?

Geez, and here I thought it was the gals who like to be "difficult"!
 TheLimey
Msg: 110
view profile
History
Posted: 6/20/2011 6:05:30 PM
I guess you need to brush up on bikes. like I said, that's NOT a sport bike any more than a Nissan Altima is Ferrari.

& why are you checking out guys profiles?
 mateo45
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Posted: 6/20/2011 6:11:16 PM
LOL... now you're sounding like a typical (wannabe) HD rider!
 califcowboy1956
Msg: 112
Posted: 6/20/2011 7:13:20 PM
ur all curb riders or hog members-lol-people with no money or people with to much money and a fantasy
 TheLimey
Msg: 113
view profile
History
Posted: 6/20/2011 10:19:53 PM
Seriously? Are you just here to troll the forum? I had a HD.. owned it for 3 months. It was the most dangerous bike I've ever ridden. No power, no brakes, handled like a pig on rollerskates, over weight, over hyped & WAY over priced. You couldn't get me to ride another if they gave them away for free.

And just for the record: I won't ride any other cruisers either, no matter who makes them.
 Pingshooter
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Posted: 6/24/2011 10:23:46 AM
No issue with those who ride their own..why would it be an issue?
 Divapr
Msg: 115
view profile
History
Posted: 6/24/2011 11:12:49 AM
I agree with AlisN dlan, whats wrong with just getting in a car instead. Or is this a something here in Florida. I am from the North.
 mateo45
Msg: 116
view profile
History
Posted: 6/29/2011 5:25:35 PM
@Welsh.... since you ride, I'm curious, what's your sense about dating guys who maybe have a very different type of bike than yourself... say if you had a HD or "cruiser" and they were into some kind of "sportbike" (aka "crotch-rocket")? Would it matter to you (long or short term), or do they really attract different "types"?
 vnufall
Msg: 117
Posted: 7/1/2011 4:25:59 PM
omg...almost every guy around my hood has a harley...i mean baby boomer men,....they seem to like a certain kind of woman with big breasts and long hair, i don't fit the profile. i'm an old nurse too and yeah i took care of plenty of motorcylce accident patients. one day on the way to work there was a back up of traffic...i was gonna be late, so i wanted to know what the problem was.....ran over, to see a young guy was on the ground. he had his helmet on, breathing, conscious,ambulance was called...ok...finally went to work...sure enuff the next day getting report at the hospital...he was my patient. i just think motorcycles are dangerous. to think a lot of states are getting rid of helmit laws too, thats another subject...lol.
 TheLimey
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Posted: 7/1/2011 8:14:50 PM
Getting rid of helmet laws stops stupid people from procreating, thereby increasing the collective IQ of the human race.
 Bassbob47
Msg: 119
view profile
History
Posted: 7/3/2011 5:45:57 PM
ive ridden motorcycles all my life , from Harleys , superbikes, chops.
Im 49 now , and still ove to ride , i ride a hardtail 650 chopper, completely custom built.
In this age of safety this , safety that, it feels great to get out on the bike, and****2 fingers at convention, because lets face it the world has become very safe and boring.
And to me thats not what life is about.
 mateo45
Msg: 120
view profile
History
Posted: 7/5/2011 7:39:01 AM

...and one crazy fvcker on a hyosung.

mateo45
Msg: 121
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2011 11:18:27 AM
Oh come on now, are you saying you've never expressed any "strong feelings" here yourself?
And dunno, would 3 bikes be considered a "collection" ( a couple beemers and a kawi)? BTW, since we're talking to a bunch of other riders here, does anybody ever wonder once in awhile whether maybe it's time to either permanently park or sell the bike(s), especially after a "close call"?

Just from my own experience, have been pretty careful (and lucky) over 40-some years of pretty steady riding, but every so often the question does go thru my head that, "hey, I ain't getting any more "durable", and maybe it's finally "time"!

Anyone else ever get that idea, and is it a conscious decision to keep on riding as long as you still can, or do you just ignore it....?
 browneyesboo
Msg: 122
Posted: 7/6/2011 11:39:45 AM
When I was married, we had a collection of bikes, mostly british and classic, but
quite a few sprints also.
I've always ridden, but for some reason I slowed down for a few years when I had
my kids. When they got older I started riding again.

Now, I'd like to have another bike. I don't think I'm getting more durable, but it
was something I enjoyed and I'd like to enjoy it again.

But not on a harley.

and yeah, what's up with the pollyanna question of "conflicts." Are you new here?
 mateo45
Msg: 123
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2011 3:37:24 PM
Understood re: "fun" vs "confrontational". But seems like most motorcycle riders are nuthin' if not a "passionate" and "opinionated" bunch (some "brands" more than others)!

BTW, luv the brit bikes, but have little patience with "wrenching" (a "basket case" Norton kinda cured me of that)! Whatcha collecting or working on these days?
 ezlivin313
Msg: 124
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2011 4:09:49 PM
Hmmm.. at 13 I built my own go cart out of a Gemini 80 I stole(not proud of it) when I was a kid. Parted it out and had my own 3spd go cart. Kept it at a friends house bc his mom was ok with it. Traded it for a suzuki 175 at 15. Got my 1st Honda 750 at 19. By 21 I had a yamaha 7oo, yamaha 1200 & a Harley 84 1/2 tour classic. To this day(27yrs later) I still have my Harley! Got around 750,000(lol) miles on her. Only one starter, 3 batteries and 6 radios later... why get rid of her??
Some live a Harley only life, some ride a Harley only life.. as for me, I simply ride probably due to it was in my blood at an early age and the best thing is... I still have my same f uckin Harley all these years ... hooooo rah.. Steve aka: ezlivin313
 mateo45
Msg: 125
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2011 6:10:56 PM
^^^^^ what they said!!!^^^^^

Yup, nuthin' quite like rolling along on a fine balmy day, carving sweeper curves past the forests, lakes & streams, and everything... you, the road, the sound of the engine and the balance of the bike, and nature all around... all feeling in perfect harmony! It's gotta be the nearest thing to "flying"!!!
 KAT4EVR
Msg: 126
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2011 4:33:50 PM
I don't think men in our age group are addicted to Harleys, I know a lot of men who ride other bikes. BMW, Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, Moto Guzi, CanAm (trike), Boss Hoss (car engine) and others. It is not a hobby for a lot of us, I use my bike to ride back and forth to work as many months as I can. I love to ride, I took two safety classes the beginner to get my license and the advanced to learn how to handle my beast better and it paid off for me many times. I rode over a dead groundhog one night, and did not drop the bike or cause any issues, I learned how to do it. ( I came on it on a curve, too late to swerve)
I own three helmets and while I cannot wear all of them at the same time, I wear one of them when I ride, I take a spare on a long road trip.
Yes, I have gotten drenched in a rain shower, got frost on my knees, sunburned but I would not give it up for love or money. One of my friends told me that I am a true biker. I smiled and said thanks for the compliment. I do not drink and ride, you have to have your wits about you at all times. I smile the minute the engine comes to life and I steer down the road.
My younger daughter loves Mom on a bike, I gave up riding until she was old enough to understand my need to ride, now she house sits for me when I go on my trips.
Maybe when I am in my 70's I will ride a trike, or maybe not.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Motorcycles and Baby Boomers