Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > increasing numbers of women are marrying men for their money      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 arwen52
Msg: 226
view profile
History
increasing numbers of women are marrying men for their moneyPage 10 of 32    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32)
you have the shinny ones mixed in with the rugged reliable ones? IN THE SAME TOOL BOX???? whats wrong with you dear woman... everyone knows the snap-ons are for show on the wall and the craftsmans are for using.. hehe

I have a Snap-On ratchet wrench and yes, it's in the tool box with the reliable old Craftsman screwdrivers. I don't have a full set of Snap-Ons, just a couple of ones I used a lot. The ex got the full set. He used to "borrow" tools from my tool box and not put them back. That, alone, is grounds for divorce. Just one more example of how self-centered and inconsiderate he is. I had to stop bringing my tools home from work because he'd "borrow" my hammer and not put it back and then I'd need it at work and wouldn't have it. Not only was it a hassle, but I could get fined for not having certain tools we were required to carry.

In 1880, John Dykes invented the tool which still bears his name. It is tool used to install wire fencing. It looks like a pair of pliars except longer on the handles, with opposing jaws with blunt knife edges, perpendicular to the plain of the handles. It is a great two-handed for gripping fencing staples and barbed wire. It is a good tool, and still used today, and under the name Dykes. Some people call them "nippers". I have never seen a Dykes in any color but black iron.

Can you give your source for this? I can't verify it anywhere on the internet.

As I said, electricians and many others call diagonal cutters "dikes" and they are not black iron, they are the same kind of steel as lineman's pliers.
 Blue-Eyes-Shine
Msg: 227
view profile
History
increasing numbers of women are marrying men for their money
Posted: 1/24/2011 12:45:30 AM
Such generalizations! What if I enjoy the sailboat for lazy days and the powerboat for the days I want to play in the water, water skiing, boarding and even some wild tubing rides? I haven't drank on either vessel and seldom ever drink. I always thought someday I would enjoy Florida, but I am quickly changing my mind. Arrogance really turns me off.
 serve chilled
Msg: 228
Posted: 1/24/2011 3:23:09 AM
For a man, it's practically impossible to comment on this without appearing bitter or as if you're complaining....but the truth is..the equality that so many women claim to want seems to apply only in certain aspects/situations. Many profiles I read, plainly state that you (meaning any eligible bachelor) must make more money than them, this is obviously important since you (the man) will be paying for any possible dates.
 happybunny8
Msg: 229
Posted: 1/24/2011 4:22:56 AM
^^^nobody is making you pay for anyone.

That's what most of you need to get in your head - YOU are the ones falling for it.

It's just like women complaining they were used for sex.

If you truly truly are tired of this, stop paying for women. There are women out there who won't allow you to spend more than $20 bucks on her until you are a committed couple and can more easily share. Most of us are tired of listening to your whine like p*ssies (as my Dad would say).
 ladyc4
Msg: 230
Posted: 1/24/2011 9:29:58 AM

It is tool used to install wire fencing.

Ah, but in the farming environment I grew up in, they were just called 'fencing pliers'. I may still have a pair behind the seat of my pick-up truck!
Cindy O
 browneyesboo
Msg: 231
Posted: 1/24/2011 10:03:53 AM
I don't think the men who are marrying these women are complaining.
The only men people complaining are the ones who apparently don't have
enough m0ney to snag one of these women. But why would they want to?

People have been marrying other people for money for ages. It's nothing new.
I don't think people in fishes necessarily marry for money, but most older
people I know won't intentionally marry into poverty if they can help it. Most of
the people I know are happily in the middle.

What the heck is all this business about tools? My posts that are off topic get deleted
all the time, and they're a lot more interesting than posts by tools (whoops my bad,
I meant posts about tools of course.)
 cap_n_mORGAN
Msg: 232
Posted: 1/24/2011 10:09:27 AM

I don't think the men who are marrying these women are complaining.
The only men people complaining are the ones who apparently don't have
enough m0ney to snag one of these women. But why would they want to?

I agree.

Some on this thread act if it never happens others act if that is all that happens.

Either stance is ridiculous!
 WaywardWynde
Msg: 233
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2011 10:26:40 AM

What the heck is all this business about tools?

People who claim tradesmen can regularly make upwards of two hundred grand a year might be expected to know at least a little of the nonenclature of the trades.

If a two hundred grand a year tradesman is important in a thread about "increasing number of women are marrying men for their money", then the comment about the probability of such tradesman exisitng is germane.
 ladyc4
Msg: 234
Posted: 1/24/2011 10:46:23 AM
Why does someone have to know all about the tools of a trade or other facts to have an idea of what someone makes? I would think a welder would use welding tools, not a set of fence pliers.
What "tradesmen" make can vary according to the type of work, the demand for that kind of work, the general tax base/cost of living in an area, etc. Just because somebody knows a couple of unambitious people who learned to weld in the military, who are content to work at Home Depot,doesn't mean there aren't tradesmen who aren't pulling down high incomes.
Cindy O
 cap_n_mORGAN
Msg: 235
Posted: 1/24/2011 6:44:04 PM

No-one said it was a regular occurrence. It was stated by one poster that she knew some trades people who could earn that much in a year.

I am going to shock niagara45 I AGREE! LOL

But really I work outages at nuclear plants.....w/o revealing what I make it would be easy to make 200k in a year if I wanted to work most of the year.

I choose to work 2 outages a year. So I have time to enjoy what I do make.

If I worked 4 I could easily hit the 200k mark.
 WaywardWynde
Msg: 236
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2011 7:39:43 PM
Over 7,000 romance novels were published in the United States last year, and virtually every last one of them had a H.E.A. ending (Happily Ever After, i.e. they got married).

And nearly all had a taciturn, brooding male lead who was "too sexy for his own good", muscular, handsome, high status and most usually rich. Said male lead almost always started out horny as a toad but "came to realize" he had found his dream mate in the form of the female lead. Said female lead being 26 to 28 years old (usually), strong willed, in deep financial trouble, and who had sworn off all men for life because "she had trusted too much" with some guy, which caused ALL her troubles in life (except her parents dying in that car crash).

I for sure know many men -- in fact many, many, many, many men -- who are so lazy they only work half time, yet who pull down a hundred grand a year. Not!

Only in singles bars does one hear that kind of stuff. Only in singles bars does one meet people who make 4x what the Union Hall says journeymen are paid.

Ahhhhh .... ain't romance (novels) great!! Responsible for more conceptions than Jeam Beam, Southern Comfort and Johnny Walker put together.
 CheezyChick
Msg: 237
Posted: 1/24/2011 8:14:23 PM

In todays' News, there is a study that shows more women are marrying for money than in 1940.

No funking kidding? Is this post from 1975?......

More and more women are choosing to marry men who are substantially better educated than them, and therefore have higher earnings

Knock knock, anybody home? Oh wait....you must be stuck on the "I-WISH" train...

Education doesn't equate to intelligence in my opinion...neither does marriage for that matter...
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 238
Posted: 1/24/2011 8:21:36 PM
I find it interesting that a 64 yr old man would be calling someone lazy for working half time. What about all those people who are comfortably retired and do not " work " in the sense of having to work to provide an income ( especially those their 50's ) - I suppose they would be lazy by your definition. Myself I am planning on becoming lazy by your definition as soon as I can and before I am too old to enjoy it.
 MsMicki
Msg: 239
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2011 9:10:56 PM

Well educated, intelligent women want to marry well educated, intelligent guys: (1) they are likely to have more in common and (2) it is really important that women respect and admire their mate. If not their marriage is doomed to failure after the lust wears out. A professional woman with a High school dropout? The chances of that relationship making it are probably very, very slim.

Pffft! In the town nearest me, Chrysler Corp is the largest employer.
Thousands of "blue collar factory workers" that started there as high school dropouts.
Their wives got free schooling while raising the little ones.....and then went onto
professional jobs once they got their degrees. All these professional women are making more money than their husbands. (not that the men aren't making good money at an average of $30/hr - much higher for Skilled Trades)
 Twilightslove
Msg: 240
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2011 6:58:26 AM
I found this article in Yahoo yesterday. I thought I would share it.

Crucial Characteristics of Lasting Love
1. Physical appearance
While physical appearance and attraction draw two people together at first, these aspects will affect the rest of their lives. If working out and staying fit is important to you, will it bum you out if your mate doesn’t share your quest for rock-hard abs?

2. Emotional maturity
Is this person emotionally mature and centered or still lugging around some trunk-sized baggage? How does your sweetheart relate to family and friends? Is he or she emotionally supportive or have control issues? Is your mate aware of his or her own issues and interested in addressing them?

3. Lifestyle choices
This includes career and social lives, common interests, leisure time activities and energy levels. Would she rather join the bowling league or the metropolitan symphony? Does he have lots of energy for activities with friends while she’d rather rest and chill out at home?

4. Financial compatibility
This is a hot bed for most couples. It includes income levels, savings goals and views on handling money. How do you each want to spend, save and invest? Is one person a spender while the other saves? Is one person financially responsible while the other plays catch-up with child support and bills?

5. Value structure
This area is often overlooked but has a tremendous impact on your life. It includes the big values: honesty, integrity, loyalty, views on family and children, religion and spirituality, life goals and the treatment and care for others. Does your mate follow through on promises made? Would you say this person is trustworthy? Will you always be there for each other in a pinch?

6. Marriage and intimacy
Everyone does not share the same idea of marriage. The big questions to address are: What do you and your mate expect from marriage? Is he or she looking for a soul mate? Do you both want close intimacy beyond the physical aspect, including with your friendships and in private communications with each other?

7. Intelligence
Having similar education levels increases your chances of sharing matching school and social experiences, intellectual interests and career goals. What topics do you and your honey like to talk about? Conversation limited to sports or shopping may get boring to someone who likes to ponder philosophy and bluster about business.

While you don’t have to match exactly in each area, look at the big picture and make sure you match closely enough in the important areas of your life to up your chances of finding a love that will go the distance.

Dee Anne Merriman is a freelance writer who often covers relationship issues.
http://yahoo.match.com/y/article.aspx?articleid=9862&TrackingID=526103&BannerID=682742
 ladyc4
Msg: 242
Posted: 1/25/2011 10:05:07 AM
WTF do romance novels and singles bars have to do with women tending to marry men with more education? Are Jim, Jack and Johnny helping you write your posts.
The issue of what skilled tradespersons make has been addressed. No one said that ALL tradespersons make this kind of money on a regular basis, it was NOTED that some of these incomes are in "boom" areas with skilled labor shortages. Heck I had a couple of cousins-one of them female, go work on the big Alaska Pipeline project and make big money operating heavy equipment.
People who wear Carhartts and work with their hands are every bit as good as people who wear ties and sit in offices. Most people marry who they marry because they LOVE them. It is not anything new that even women with professional occupations( or high-paying blue collar jobs) tend to marry men that are at least EQUAL earners, I think partly because the woman wants to know that taking some time off her career(or working reduced hours) to have children is not going to put the family in the poorhouse. And as others have observed, there still tends to be some male reluctance to form serious relationships with women who out-earn them. I'm sure that in a case where the woman develops a career and EVENTUALLY out earns her husband, that they adapt, though I have heard quite a bit of anecdotal information indicating that sometimes that adaptation is quite difficult,or that the marriage is negatively impacted if the wife becomes a higher earner.
Cindy O
 WaywardWynde
Msg: 243
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2011 11:00:06 AM

WTF do romance novels and singles bars have to do with women "marrying men for their money" (quote edited to reflect the title of this thread)?

Expectations, hopes, dreams, "the way it is", as reflected in the mindsets of the readers of the romance novels who buy 55% of ALL paperback novels sold each year. Millions and millions and millions of readers.

Now, what those readers actually do, is they marry the boy next door, or at least lives within 5 miles of next door.

Those readers might judge romance novels to be "escapist" but can also build some resentment when they hear about "skilled tradesmen" pulling down two hundred grand a year (nevermind the Union Hall for the specific trade mentioned for the specific area mentioned states journeyman's wages for a worker working full weeks a full 50 weeks a year (no weather delays) makes 25% to 40% of that figure(*) ) while her man -- slug or hard worker, depending her view -- has a hard time paying the heat bills in winter.

Braggards in singles bars (and high school reunions) bump up their incomes even more so than when they are lying to the Census Bureau. Reality sux sometimes, but talk is easy. Never believe what a person says about their income until you see their bank statement. Better yet, their bank statements.

(*) To make two hundred grand in one year in that trade in that area, REQUIRES a journeyman to work 80 to 115 hours EVERY week for 50 weeks in a year. Even if that were economically possible, it is not physically possible, for as one trade worker said, "You gotta stay alive to spent it."
 happybunny8
Msg: 244
Posted: 1/25/2011 11:10:48 AM
^^^where do you live? Nobody I know except my mom reads romance novels. In fact, I don't hang around many women who do read those.

I think you are still living in some alternate universe or commercial on TV.

You need to get out more because I have never ever talked about incomes at a singles bar or a high school reunion - this sounds kinda age specific. In fact, I don't think I've ever had a man tell me how much money he makes and if he had, I'd be walking away.
 ladyc4
Msg: 245
Posted: 1/25/2011 12:08:30 PM

but can also build some resentment when they hear about "skilled tradesmen" pulling down two hundred grand a year (nevermind the Union Hall for the specific trade mentioned for the specific area mentioned states journeyman's wages for a worker working full weeks a full 50 weeks a year (no weather delays) makes 25% to 40% of that figure(*) ) while her man -- slug or hard worker, depending her view -- has a hard time paying the heat bills in winter.

the only resentment being built up here is NOT from women.
I've NEVER had anyone tell me their income in any sort of social or casual situation, whether it was high tea with the Ladies Aid Society or a bar where musician friends were playing. I do occasionally run into snobs...usually ones with no cash to back their attitude, who have conniption fits when they find themselves in an environment where claims of money and education carry little weight.
Cindy O
 happybunny8
Msg: 246
Posted: 1/25/2011 12:28:02 PM

I've NEVER had anyone tell me their income in any sort of social or casual situation, whether it was high tea with the Ladies Aid Society or a bar where musician friends were playing. I do occasionally run into snobs...usually ones with no cash to back their attitude, who have conniption fits when they find themselves in an environment where claims of money and education carry little weight.

Thanks Cindy. What I find interesting is that we are almost 20 years apart in age and have experienced and feel the same way.

Do some men live on another planet? Maybe they are hermits, living on their sailboats with no link to society other than beer commercials. Sorry dude, but your posts really are coming across as lacking experience in some areas.
 WaywardWynde
Msg: 247
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2011 12:58:09 PM
^^^ Annasthasia,

please take more care to quote me accurately, should you be inclined to quote me at all.

I never "worked on Wall Street", nor in any part of the financial world. I started out as an auto mechanic while in high school (I am decent at fixing things, my little bros is truly superior). Later I worked as a hired killer for my Uncle Sam (as a combat Marine), later yet wrote advertising (selling much and gained a good rep, but found the business way too unstable), and then spent the rest of my career as a communicator (in an area which extremely nicely took great advantage of my aptitude for the hard sciences).

Where I come from, women are not raised to act like stupid virgins and believe me their actualization goals are NOT to find a richer and/or better educated man.

Where I come from, EVERYONE (except the very young, the infirm, and the old folks) worked. Period. The watchword was, "You don't wanna work? You don't wanna eat."

I chose to be an "old folk" and retire because I wanted to do more sailing each summer.
 MsMicki
Msg: 248
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2011 1:00:11 PM
romance novels??
Really??
The fact you think any sane woman believes the crap they put in those books.....speaks volumes of your character.....not the women's!!

Seems the one b!tching the loudest here.....is the one that feels the need to
brag the most about his supposed wealth! You get what you advertise for.
 cap_n_mORGAN
Msg: 249
Posted: 1/25/2011 1:03:06 PM

Now, what those readers actually do, is they marry the boy next door, or at least lives within 5 miles of next door.

Those readers might judge romance novels to be "escapist" but can also build some resentment when they hear about "skilled tradesmen" pulling down two hundred grand a year (nevermind the Union Hall for the specific trade mentioned for the specific area mentioned states journeyman's wages for a worker working full weeks a full 50 weeks a year (no weather delays) makes 25% to 40% of that figure(*) ) while her man -- slug or hard worker, depending her view -- has a hard time paying the heat bills in winter.

This I agree with somewhat.

Some not all women do compare reality to fantasy. And think the grass is greener on the other side.

They divorce hubby one for hubby two that makes more.
However some soon find that all is roses 45% of women in a study admitted they were sorry they divorced their first husband. And would go back if they could.

Now what I don't agree with........The journeyman can make around 30k in 2 months on a outage on their regular pay. Add in the per-deim at 70-100 dollars a day and you can see the money accumulates quickly. Not even accounting for retirement and health care.
 ladyc4
Msg: 250
Posted: 1/25/2011 1:07:19 PM
I got into this thing for awhile, when describing an encounter with a snobbish, elitist individual or group, to say "Who the hell do they think they are? The Daughters of the American Revolution?"
A few years back one of my cousins took advantage of more leisure time afforded by an emptying nest, to research the geneaology of our family from our grandmother and grandfather back...guess what?
I could JOIN the D.A.R.
Who knew??!!
Cindy O
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > increasing numbers of women are marrying men for their money