Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > increasing numbers of women are marrying men for their money      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ladyc4
Msg: 285
increasing numbers of women are marrying men for their moneyPage 12 of 32    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32)
wow, we might have 2 tomcat fights here tonight!
Before this thread goes any further off topic, I will re-iterate that despite what some PhD in the UK wants to posit, there has always been a tendency, backed by ancient female instincts to choose the best provider, for women to marry "up". Add to that the factor of many men, even YOUNGER men as one poster related, who are not interested in having a spouse or SO who earns more than he does, and I don't think there's an increasing number of anybody marrying anybody for money, it's just "spin" to generate more grant money so that the media can use the information generated by these "studies" to generate revenue.
Cindy O
 Twilightslove
Msg: 286
view profile
History
increasing numbers of women are marrying men for their money
Posted: 1/27/2011 7:21:07 PM

dude, it ain't "income" unless you cheaped out and didn't eat meals and/or stayed in a really cheap, cheap, cheap hotel, hitchhiking to the job.

You do not have to use all of that $75.00 per day to receive it. It's guaranteed and if you think logically about it income is used to pay for living expenses which includes vacations and motels.

It's income. You must claim it as income on your 1040 as taxable income.
 WaywardWynde
Msg: 287
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2011 7:34:02 PM

You do not have to use all of that $75.00 per day to receive it. It's guaranteed and if you think logically about it income is used to pay for living expenses which includes vacations and motels.

It's income. You must claim it as income on your 1040 as taxable income.

AND, you deduct the off-setting expenses on Sched C.

The ONLY way one comes out ahead on "per diem" is by not eating and cheaping out on the hotel and mayby hitchhiking to work.

"per diem" has a specific meaning to the IRS. It's ONLY when you are away from home on a short term basis and can't live in, nor commute from, your normal abode. It's not "income" unless you don't sleep indoors and don't eat.

Unless you're talking to a bimbo in a singles bar. Trust me, I've seen more than a few guys do it.

BTW, 75 bux a day doesn't get you much of a hotel anywhere on the planet.
 cap_n_mORGAN
Msg: 288
Posted: 1/27/2011 7:58:10 PM

AND, you deduct the off-setting expenses on Sched C.

The ONLY way one comes out ahead on "per diem" is by not eating and cheaping out on the hotel and mayby hitchhiking to work.

"per diem" has a specific meaning to the IRS. It's ONLY when you are away from home on a short term basis and can't live in, nor commute from, your normal abode. It's not "income" unless you don't sleep indoors and don't eat.

Unless you're talking to a bimbo in a singles bar. Trust me, I've seen more than a few guys do it.

Most of us either have a RV and stay in a park. Around 400.00 a month and we normally go in pairs to split expenses.

Even if we use hotels with two guys splitting the cost a 150.00 a week studio is not that much.

Bottom line it is income and I never spend anywhere near all of it on the road.
 Twilightslove
Msg: 289
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2011 8:03:51 PM

Most of us either have a RV and stay in a park. Around 400.00 a month and we normally go in pairs to split expenses.

Even if we use hotels with two guys splitting the cost a 150.00 a week studio is not that much.

Agree. Sounds like my ex.
 ladyc4
Msg: 290
Posted: 1/27/2011 8:19:30 PM

and this is important because...?

Ahh, the smell of Eau de Snob in the evening.
But, then again, according to one participant, this thread is about those moral reprobates...women who marry men with more education and therefore likely to experience higher earnings. Scandalous, simply scandalous, I tell you. Between the PhD who spun "marrying men with more education" into "marrying men for their money" and the article that precipitated this topic, and at least one argument addict, it's a wonder we haven't all had our heads explode. Or that someone has't stuck a nail in the hot-air balloon.
Anyway, I would say that this amazing trend the researcher sees is nothing but women who want to have families doing exactly what they've done forfreakin'ever...choose men who can be expected to be good providers,but not JUST for that-I'm sure that mutual attraction, compatibility, shared goals and a love that can grow are also in the mix. So I fail to see how this is about gold-diggers, moral reprobates, or any such thing.
Cindy O
 ItsMargo
Msg: 291
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2011 11:10:14 PM
Well, if you can forgive me for posting on topic ...

... I will re-iterate that despite what some PhD in the UK wants to posit, there has always been a tendency, backed by ancient female instincts to choose the best provider, for women to marry "up".

Add to that the factor of many men, even YOUNGER men as one poster related, who are not interested in having a spouse or SO who earns more than he does, and I don't think there's an increasing number of anybody marrying anybody for money, it's just "spin" to generate more grant money so that the media can use the information generated by these "studies" to generate revenue.

Actually, I don't believe she is questioning the "there has always been a tendency" bit. I think her point is: given some 40-50 years of developing equality for women, isn't it surprising that this tendency continues to persist?!

In fact, I would say one of the most surprising social changes is how many men are increasingly more comfortable with women earning more than they do. It's quite a shift in attitude: from seemingly 'every' man uncomfortable with it back in the 60's [evidenced by how frequently a male pov of the time was: "my wife isn't going to work, *I'm* the provider here, what will people think!"] to the current situation where, in some 30% of marriages women are the higher income earner.

No, I disagree that it is "spin" for the media; it's evidence to make social policy and legal changes. Which is why women's groups are upset and alarmed about this study and other's like it.
 WaywardWynde
Msg: 293
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2011 7:01:16 AM

Yes, if you cheap out really, really, really badly you can spend less on the cost of living/eating at some remote to your normal abode job site, and yes it then becomes income for which you have to pay not only income taxes on, but also social security and other taxes.

Calling "per diem" income is a strange thing done only by someone trying to brag to a bimbo in a singles bar.

-----for those who don't know what per diem actually IS, let me explain it.

Legally, when one is doing a job and is temporarily and overnight away from one's normal abode, one can deduct the cost of housing and meals and other ordinary expenses from one's taxable income. That's normal.

Companies often reimburse employees for direct expenses in such cases, i.e., the employee has an "expense account".

Because expense accounts can be badly abused (most usually by those making little money and needing to pad out their income) and because tracking expense accounts is an accounting nightmare for companies, companies often give such employees a "per diem expense allowance" if they going to be in one spot for a bit of time. In essence, they say "Here, live on this per day. If you can't live on it, learn to. If you wanna really be cheap, the extra money is yours. Have at it."

Per diems are adjusted for the particular area a worker goes to, and seldom are anything other than low-balled.

HOWEVER, places like Howard Johnson's (with it's "all you can eat for $5.99" meals, soft drinks and desserts extra) HATE tradesmen on per diem. Why? Because a percentage of them eat one huge meal -- three or four plates worth -- a day, $5.99, with no extras and tip badly.

Per diem is reimbursement for not usual business/job expenses. It's not income unless one eats just one meal a day, and then at HoJo's.

How much money a guy makes is one of the three things men most frequently lie about.
 cap_n_mORGAN
Msg: 294
Posted: 1/28/2011 7:09:51 AM

In fact, I would say one of the most surprising social changes is how many men are increasingly more comfortable with women earning more than they do.

How are men more comfortable? If indeed 30% of women are the higher income earner, that means that an equal number of women are also comfortable with men earning less than they do. Unless we're talking about something other than heterosexual relationships, the numbers of both and men and women can only be equal.

No, I disagree that it is "spin" for the media; it's evidence to make social policy and legal changes.

And I respectfully disagree - the only "evidence" I see is that "data" can be interpreted any which way the wind (or someones particular agenda) blows.

Which is why women's groups are upset and alarmed about this study and other's like it.

I have never read or heard of any legitimate (as opposed to fringe/extremist) "women's group" being upset or alarmed about women potentially earning more than their partners.

A star wars translation of this post......"THESE ARE NOT THE DROIDS YOU ARE LOOKING FOR!"
(While waving one hand in the air)

I mean really the study info can show many things. Margo's insight is one that carries merit.

OT the reasons the women's groups are upset is not because the pay scales are becoming equal it is because of the social/legal ramifications that would level the playing field in the court room and in regular life.
 cap_n_mORGAN
Msg: 295
Posted: 1/28/2011 7:30:51 AM

Yes, if you cheap out really, really, really badly you can spend less on the cost of living/eating at some remote to your normal abode job site, and yes it then becomes income for which you have to pay not only income taxes on, but also social security and other taxes.

Calling "per diem" income is a strange thing done only by someone trying to brag to a bimbo in a singles bar.

Cheap out?

When working a outage we work 12 hours a day 6-7 days a week.

Trust me when I say all one wants on the off hours is a shower and a bed.
It's not like we are there to sight see. So I don't see the advantage to staying at the Waldorf Astoria!

Per diem is income any way you want to slice it. Not just to to brag to some bimbo as you call them. I am able to put the unused per diem in my bank account so I think that counts as pay!
 cap_n_mORGAN
Msg: 297
Posted: 1/28/2011 8:43:59 AM

I don't recall questioning the insight of any poster or the merit of their posts - I asked how can men be more comfortable in relationships where the woman earns more if an obvious equal percentage of women vs men are in those relationships?

I have dated women that earn more than I it really is not a prerequisite for me or any one I know.

When I met these ladies I didn't know if they had two nickels to rub together.
Nor do I think there are a massive number of men that care if the woman makes more.
So it is kinda a moot point.

Just because something is stated over and over again doesn't make it true - again I ask, where are those legitimate (as opposed to the extremist/fringe) "women's groups" who are alarmed or upset about women earning more than their partners, for any reason? Perhaps you could cite your sources as to enlighten me where one can find such groups (hint: wimminsareevilbiitches.com or any sites where tinfoil beanies are de rigueur are not what I consider reliable sources).

Remember the Jedi mind control only works on the weak minded.

If you really think there are not women's groups that don't want the status quo to change you are in denial.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 299
Posted: 1/28/2011 9:26:20 AM

If you really think there are not women's groups that don't want the status quo to change you are in denial.

Taking that one step further ~ simply read forum posts here and you'll get your fill of the libbers that will never find anything positive about their supposed "movement" and lack of supposed equality between the sexes. You don't even have to google, you just have to roam around right here to validate that.

~OT~ I find this thread amusing. I have dated men long term and have had NO clue what his income was. Why would I? It's none of my business. I was married to a man that made a LOT of side monies (outside of his regular employ) and I had NO clue how much, when, from who or anything else. As a professional part-time hunting guide, it was all cash to him and I know for a fact he never disclosed to me if/when the cash rolled in, nor did I ask. We did not file our taxes together, so I don't know to this very day what his total incomes ever were. It simply didn't matter.

As for per-diem? My contracts often times include per-diem and it is, indeed income. (I don't tell the bimbos at the bar about it ~ mainly because man-bimbos don't care how much money I make.) I am required to tell Uncle Sam about it, I have to pay taxes on it, and keep in mind, only 50% of meals are deductible, so even if I overspent, I'd still not be breaking "even" on that aspect. Mileage write offs have increased a tad, but other deductions have seriously decreased. In the normal big-picture? Per-diem adds income, it's just that simple. JMO
 ladyc4
Msg: 300
Posted: 1/28/2011 9:59:17 AM

Actually, I don't believe she is questioning the "there has always been a tendency" bit. I think her point is: given some 40-50 years of developing equality for women, isn't it surprising that this tendency continues to persist?!

Margo,that is a point worth pondering.
Let me, as a practical woman who has a lot of closehand observation of women who work AND have children,comment on what I see as a possible reason.
For all the progress we've made in equality in the workplace/marketplace,I believe women who marry with a firm intent to have children, STILL will look at the earning potential of their intended, because;
We have as yet not made medical advances permitting a pregnant career or working woman to pop out the kid on a coffee break and return to her desk or workstation immediately afterward, nor have we come up with an accessible way for men to actually gestate and birth children. I think that even committed working women consider the possibility of having to take early maternity leave due to complications, and the possibility that there may be issues(baby is ill or has special needs) that prevent her from returning to full-time work 6-8 weeks after giving birth.
Regardless of developing equality, we have not as yet figured out a way to make pregnancy, birth and nursing an equal male responsibility. Other than very high level professional women(who may be able to bank a "maternity fund") or those who CAN work from home, I think most responsible women DO look at the financial potential of the men they choose to marry, and look for a "safety net" should her income experience a significant interruption due to birthing and childrearing issues. Granted, not all women who marry choose to have children, and of course there are the "dedicated career woman" types for whom marriage and family are not even a blip on their radar.
For the average 2 earner household, there IS a thought-worthy degree of financial risk involved in having a child-will they be able to keep their financial stability if one income is reduced, interrupted or ceases to exist.
Being both a good and productive worker AND a good mother/homemaker similtaneously is not an easy task...and if a woman finds that she cannot do both adequately, we all know that it's the outside-the-home work that will be abandoned...you can take a leave or resign from employment, you can't take a leave or resign from your kid(s).
Anyway, that would be my thinking on why women still tend to marry men who do, or can be expected to,earn higher income than they do.
Cindy O
 x_file
Msg: 301
Posted: 1/28/2011 10:09:42 AM

Of course.

But it is a little more complex than that. It is more appropriate to say this:

If a woman has the choice between a man she loves, and a man who she loves and has money, she will most likely marry the latter. I say "most likely" for a reason... there is a condition all this relies upon... and the condition is hinted at bellow. Women who do not have such a choice, will marry whoever marries them.

Of course, there are counter examples where a woman chooses to marry a poor man... and I know of several such examples. But, there is something even more mysterious going on in those cases - or at least in some of those cases.

The woman who marries a poor man when given the choice between a poor man, or a rich men, does not just marry any poor man, but one with high potential - a phenomenon well evident in high school where the beautiful girls went out with boys who had the most potential - for in high school most boys have no money. The same identical phenomena can be observed in elementary school - where money is basically a non-factor.

Under the right conditions an acorn will turn into an oak tree. A caterpillar into a butterfly. He (or she) who is wise or has the instinct to know of the potential of the acorn or the caterpillar obviously has a distinct advantage.

Some women have that wisdom , that instinct, in regards to men. They know which guy (which seed) to pick... even in kinder garden. This explains why some women, contrary to expectation, marry a "poor man" - they know something most don't... kind of like Martha Stewart & inside trading.

With all this in mind, a question now arises... why choose a poor man with potential, and not a rich man, especially if both are with in equal reach?

There is a good answer to that too.
 MsMicki
Msg: 302
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2011 10:28:25 AM
Wondering just how many women out there have 2 men wanting to marry them at the same time where a choice is even possible?!!

also wondering why there are numerous threads here where women are in love with
some no good guy that sits around gaming all day instead of actually contributing to
the household?!!

threads like these make me go "hmmmmm"! How come I don't know any of these women that married just for money? How come I see far more men advertising their
worth than I see women wondering about a man's worth?
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 303
Posted: 1/28/2011 10:31:07 AM

You do understand income/education/ability to provide is communicated by more than just a balance sheet or tax return, right?
Clothing, health, stress, lifestyle, vehicle(s), comparability and compatibility of general life situation and lifestyle, unconscious comparisons to previous experience, etc.?

Of course I understand that which you question here, but I fail to see how it has a thing to do with my previous post. I simply stated and will again state: I don't ask, nor do I have a right to know how much money a man makes that I may be dating, whether short term or long term. JMO
 WaywardWynde
Msg: 304
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2011 10:31:17 AM

a phenomenon well evident in high school where the beautiful girls went out with boys who had the most potential

Ahhhhhh ....... a couple problems with that statement.

First, beautiful girls in high school "go out with" boys who wear letter-sweaters and/or are handsome types, and

Second, the highest of the high in the business world were most usually were seriously lacking in social skills in high school (*). The highest of the high also graduated college with a 2.00 gpa, when they graduated at all. (In other words, they worked their way through college getting just high enough grades to graduate so they could put "college grad" on their resume for those companies which cared, which most HR departments do.)

(*) Those who were King/Queen of the heap in high school almost never go on to greatness or heights in post hs era. They lack the drive needed to exceed the averages. They made it once, and that is all they care about the rest of their lives. That's been studied in detail again and again and again and once again.

Wasn't one of the Charlie Manson girls a prom queen?

The woman who developed modern day IQ tests was the very bright illegitimate daughter of an also very bright 15 year old girl

Posters go on and on and on and on about money or "potential to make money" ad nauseum, yet ....

... I remember the look on the (beautiful) face of the woman I would later marry when she saw the airplane I built.

... I remember the looks of the young women as I a muscular young ex-combat Marine walked into a place.

... I remember and still see today women turning to see who I am when they hear my deep voice.

Yup, I do see way too many women (older now and my age or close to it) who ask me where I live, what borkerages houses do I have my accounts with, where do I take my foreign vacations, what do I do on weekends, which are my favorite restaurants.

But ....

.... those were not the questions I heard when I was dating women of baby-making age (see the airplane above).
 ladyc4
Msg: 305
Posted: 1/28/2011 10:33:03 AM
for years, mothers and grandmothers have said " it's as easy to love a rich man as it is a poor man..." but I do think THAT little bit of wisdom is changing now that many women DO have their own income from employment/career, and because there are plenty of ways to prevent "accidental children" or "badly timed children" .
It is also very true that the OT reports that this article referenced women marrying men with more education, not necessarily more money at the time of the marriage,but with the POTENTIAL. And to me, it's hardly rocket science to draw the conclusion that women who marry primarily to have families DO look for men who could carry the family financially if the woman was not able to return quickly to full-time work,or perhaps could not do an adequate job of both being a wage earner AND a mother and homemaker.
The various equality laws and statutes were not meant to dictate that all women must enter the workplace, or dictate that all women must be both earners AND mothers. It was about choices and removing social perception barriers so that a woman could choose to go to med school and be a physician without some school guidance counselor telling her " no, girls can only be nurses" or choose to read the law and become an attorney without getting told that girls can only be paralegals or secretaries.
Gender equality was supposed to be about removing artificial barriers to first class citizenship and occupational choices. It was not meant to strike down courtship, marriage and families, or force people to marry only within their own educational and income brackets.
Cindy O
 x_file
Msg: 306
Posted: 1/28/2011 11:41:39 AM

Wondering just how many women out there have 2 men wanting to marry them at the same time where a choice is even possible?!!

The number of marriage proposals women such as Angelina Jolie, Jessica Alba, and many other women of similar caliber have is greater than Bill Gate's IQ x 2.

It doesn't have to be women like Angelina Jolie or Jessica Alba either. Here is a link to a recent news article: http://www.10news.com/news/22371454/detail.html

Quote from the article:

She's created her own Web site promoting her story, and in just a few days she said she's received at least 100 marriage proposals.

It doesn't have to be at the same time - and often it is not. Generally it is over a period of time... a year or even a decade. And it doesn't have to be marriage - but simply marriage candidates... which is more subtle.

Here is the familiar pattern expressed in pseudo logic:

Choose A. If B comes alone and B is better than A, switch to B. Repeat the process.

In dating the above translates to: Date Joe. If Frank comes alone, and Frank is better than Joe, breakup with Joe, and date Frank.

Marriage: Marry Frank. But if Tony is better than Frank, divorce Frank, marry Tony.

The short answer to your question is, "A lot!" The reason most people are blind of this is because they picture two guys on their knees proposing at the same time. Realistically this process happens or is extended over time. And since most people don't reflect (look back) they remain blind of the over all picture.

also wondering why there are numerous threads here where women are in love with
some no good guy that sits around gaming all day instead of actually contributing to
the household?!!

She can't do any better. Or like I just implied: "B" hasn't come along yet.

How come I don't know any of these women that married just for money?

How many guys do you know openly state they married for pu$$y?

The reason one doesn't reveal or brag about such things openly should be obvious.

How come I see far more men advertising their worth than I see women wondering about a man's worth?

The answer is in the question! No need to wonder if the advertisement says what it is. One only needs to confirm the advertisement... which is easier than buying a hot dog.

First, beautiful girls in high school "go out with" boys who wear letter-sweaters and/or are handsome types

Even in movies they go out with the quarter back of the football team. You have it wrong.

Second, the highest of the high in the business world were most usually were seriously lacking in social skills in high school (*).

Possible, but irrelevant.

... I remember the look on the (beautiful) face of the woman I would later marry when she saw the airplane I built.

No kidding. How many people can build an airplane? She already sized your potential by your "built".

You, yourself are an example of the very thing you deny. It's a bit ironic.
 cap_n_mORGAN
Msg: 307
Posted: 1/28/2011 12:29:39 PM

It doesn't have to be at the same time - and often it is not. Generally it is over a period of time... a year or even a decade. And it doesn't have to be marriage - but simply marriage candidates... which is more subtle.

Here is the familiar pattern expressed in pseudo logic:

Choose A. If B comes alone and B is better than A, switch to B. Repeat the process.

In dating the above translates to: Date Joe. If Frank comes alone, and Frank is better than Joe, breakup with Joe, and date Frank.

Marriage: Marry Frank. But if Tony is better than Frank, divorce Frank, marry Tony.

The short answer to your question is, "A lot!" The reason most people are blind of this is because they picture two guys on their knees proposing at the same time. Realistically this process happens or is extended over time. And since most people don't reflect (look back) they remain blind of the over all picture.

I have a nickname for this it's called the Tarzan effect. Just as Tarzan will not release the vine he is swinging on until he has another in his grasp.

Some people will do the same as far as a partner. Both genders are guilty so this is NOT a gender thing.

The men that do it are looking for a younger/sexier mate. While the women that do it seem to upgrade in financial/social status.

I am sure this will be offensive to some and they will say it never happens. However it is a daily occurrence around the world.
 WaywardWynde
Msg: 308
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2011 12:49:00 PM

First, beautiful girls in high school "go out with" boys who wear letter-sweaters and/or are handsome types

Even in movies they go out with the quarter back of the football team. You have it wrong.

You're not an Ameican, so you can be forgiven for not knowing a letter sweater is.

Second, the highest of the high in the business world were most usually were seriously lacking in social skills in high school (*).

Possible, but irrelevant.

Very much relevant. The statement was made that high school girls can tell future (income producing) potential and select for it. Fact is, the very high end income realized in later life is made by the very boys overlooked by the "beautiful girls" in high school.

No kidding. How many people can build an airplane? She already sized your potential by your "built".

Don't be all that impressed. If you go to Oshkosh end of July any year, you'll see well more than a 100,000 men and quite a few women who can build, and in many cases are building, an airplane. I once knew a guy who built a helicopter, not an autogyro but a genuine helicopter. I once knew a couple who built a balloon powered by propane.

That woman with the beautiful face I later married was impressed not that a man could build an airplane, but that he would be inclined to build anything, including a bookcase for our later home. Ever hear tell of the look on a man's face when a woman he likes bakes an apple pie?

BTW, I once met a woman who painted her airplane shocking pink, a color she HATED with a passion, because people kept assuming her husband built the airplane or at least did most of the work, and NO man would paint his airplane pink.
 ladyc4
Msg: 309
Posted: 1/28/2011 1:15:18 PM

Fact is, the very high end income realized in later life is made by the very boys overlooked by the "beautiful girls" in high school.

I have a sister, and a niece( not mother and daughter) who married their high school sweethearts and they both seem to have done alright.In fact, my niece and her now-husband were Homecoming Queen and King...both are now RNs, have a nice home, a darling toddler girl, and he is continuing his studies to become a Physicians' Assistant. And my sister and her highschool sweetheart have been married over 25 years, have 3 children and a successful ceramic tile business that caters to high end home construction and remodeling.
You can pull stuff out of wherever the hell it is you're pulling it, but people do have real-life examples that refute much of it.
Cindy O
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 310
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2011 2:10:20 PM

You're not an Ameican, so you can be forgiven for not knowing a letter sweater is.

One does not have to be an Ameican [sic] to know what a letter sweater is. It might surprise you to know that even we Canadians had letter sweaters and not for males exclusively but for both genders. You do realize that there are female jocks and not just male jocks, don't you?

Yup, that's how it was when I was in school. We didn't give a rat's patootie about who wore letter sweaters because we were more interested in the person instead of a status symbol.

It is quite interesting to watch this thread twist and turn from suggesting some women marry for money to what a tradesman earns to whether a per diem is taxable income to letter sweaters. When one gets backed into a corner on a certain issue they then change the issue up for discussion.
 WaywardWynde
Msg: 311
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2011 2:38:40 PM

when I was in school. We didn't give a rat's patootie about who wore letter sweaters because we were more interested in the person instead of a status symbol.

"personality", of course!! That's it! and it has alway been that way, right?

Welllllllll ..........

..... I was just a back woods kid, buuuuuuuut .....

.... do you suppose when the girls looked at me when I was wearing my letter sweater with its four stripes and Captain's Star that the girls REALLY were impressed because I could do cube (not square, but cube) roots using just a pencil and a piece of paper?

When I was wearing my Marine Corps dress blues they were impressed I could graciously lose in Scrabble?

WHY would anyone claim high school girls don't gravitate towards the athletes? Why?

Because they themselves are trying to hold out for money, AND trying to convince themselves money -- or potential money -- is the gauge by which all male/female relationships are measured.

Not even close.
 ItsMargo
Msg: 312
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2011 2:54:56 PM
hmm, my daughter is in high school, has a letter sweater AND dates socially awkward geek types. Perhaps times have changed.

As for the questions about male comfort levels and which women's groups ... I'll post about that later tonight. Awfully cool to have real discussion on a topic *grins* Can't recall if the criticism and alarm I read was from mainstream or fringe groups - will hazard a guess it was more fringe groups, but as mentioned, I need to look into it to refresh my memory.

As for why *some* (<< forgot that word last time around) women's groups are alarmed, it is because once women have reached equality some, including the female PhD who did this study, are recommending it is time to begin to dismantle the policy, programs and laws that favour and support women as, they suggest, women no longer need protection as a special interest group. It would seem a slew of research is making the rounds that demonstrate this. Which is why I suspect it is geared more to policy than media hype/profits.

edit to add: this isn't the 1/3 female higher income I was referencing earlier, as it is a smaller group aged 30-44 and falls outside highest income earning years, but I thought it worth posting:

http://pewsocialtrends.org/2010/01/19/women-men-and-the-new-economics-of-marriage/
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > increasing numbers of women are marrying men for their money