Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > increasing numbers of women are marrying men for their money      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 cap_n_mORGAN
Msg: 301
increasing numbers of women are marrying men for their moneyPage 13 of 32    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32)
Sweetness-one

If increasing numbers of women are marrying men for their money, or for ONLY their money, then evidently it's very true that "a fool and his money are soon parted", if said men are allowing that to happen.

Niagara45 answered......

Agreed. It is also true that anyone who marries for money will earn every cent of it.

So if it is fools that are separated from his money. And they allow it to happen then why is it when I mention a pre-nup and I flamed & told how foolish a pre nup is.

Seems to me if y'all truly think that they are fools the ones smart enough to protect themselves should be at least not foolish.

So which is it foolish to let someone marry you for money or foolish for wanting legal protection against it?

Again I say there is some women that marry for money to say there is none is just denial.

Should people of both sexes be on guard and protect themselves of course.
 kari135
Msg: 302
view profile
History
increasing numbers of women are marrying men for their money
Posted: 1/28/2011 5:08:53 PM

WHY would anyone claim high school girls don't gravitate towards the athletes? Why?

Because they themselves are trying to hold out for money, AND trying to convince themselves money -- or potential money -- is the gauge by which all male/female relationships are measured.

Not even close.

Umm, maybe because some of us actually remember being high school girls? Which is something even you have to admit you never were.

Being athletic does not necessarily mean being a jock with a letter sweater. Hunting, fishing, and horseback riding were not approved sports in the school I went to, though it was a very large school. There were also students who were already professional musicians, artists, involved in local theatres, all kinds of creative and/or geeky things. Many were involved in politics even though they weren't old enough to vote. Many had part time jobs. They were ordinary people doing ordinary things. Not a single one I knew was looking for 'potential earnings' in a partner - the ones who did make long term plans were planning on going on to college or into the miliary, and quite a few who went into the military also ended up furthering their educations there.

I still think you and I inhabit different planets, and I've never seen the world you live in.
 x_file
Msg: 303
Posted: 1/28/2011 5:33:33 PM

^^^ dude, what part about the "highest of the high" in the corporate world were social rejects in high school didn't you understand?

You seem to be arguing against your self. That's the part I don't understand.

If indeed the "highest of the high" in the corporate world were social rejects in high school, then that explains why they were not selected for their potential income by girls who have such ability. For if someone doesn't display their potential in someway obviously they would be overlooked, missed.

The data is overwhelming. Accept it, or at least don't tell people you don't want to believe it.

A straw-man.

I have no problem with your claim - for whether it is true or not is irrelevant. However I don't think it is a convincing argument for why women can't select for potential, be it "income potential" or other other type of potentials.

Also, what part about high school girls getting the hots for athletes rather than "potential income" types didn't you understand?

Again... it is the part where you are arguing against yourself. I've already pointed out that some girls go for the quarter back of the football team. You think they do so because of his athleticism, and only his athleticism. I think it is more than that.

Again I say there is some women that marry for money to say there is none is just denial.

+1

Though it need not be money per se - perhaps with the exception of gold diggers.

Money is a means to an end. A woman need not go directly for the money to enjoy its benefit... she can simply go for the benefit... a stylish life-style, a beautiful house, etc..
 cap_n_mORGAN
Msg: 304
Posted: 1/28/2011 5:35:21 PM

Pick your women better. At your age, shouldn't that be the norm, wanting someone equally as self-sufficient as you are?

That is why I am so picky now and to be honest am perfectly happy single. I have a pre nup at my attorneys office that is iron clad there is even a resigning clause each year. So that it will not be considered out of date should a divorce comes years later.

I believe you are one that flamed me about that and saying each person should be responsible for their own finances in a marriage.

My pre nup states that each person keeps what they brought in and made during the marriage and there is no 50/50 split in the event of divorce.

Because I want my children to get my assets when I am gone.

Just strange to see you say you want a pre nup what changed your mind?
 cap_n_mORGAN
Msg: 305
Posted: 1/28/2011 6:11:05 PM

You are erroneous in thinking I flamed you for that, but are in the wrong for saying I ever disagreed with you on that. I've never said otherwise.

Still wanna sign a pre-nup with me?

Nope I just went back and checked it was you on another thread. I don't want to break the rules and post it here so if you want to know which one message me and I will send you to it.

And thank you but I will pass on the pre nup still having to much fun being single.

Not ready to give up the buffet just yet!....LOL
 happybunny8
Msg: 306
Posted: 1/28/2011 6:20:01 PM
When one gets backed into a corner on a certain issue they then change the issue up for discussion.

And half of it makes no sense. Or is quite dated and behind the times.

WHY would anyone claim high school girls don't gravitate towards the athletes? Why?

This comment proves you know nothing about teenagers.

^^^ dude, what part about the "highest of the high" in the corporate world were social rejects in high school didn't you understand?

This comment completely uncovers the OP. What 64 year old uses the word "dude"? My 17 year old nephew is laughing.

That is why I am so picky now and to be honest am perfectly happy single.

So why the search for "long term" then?

So if it is fools that are separated from his money. And they allow it to happen then why is it when I mention a pre-nup and I flamed & told how foolish a pre nup is.

Pick your women better. At your age, shouldn't that be the norm, wanting someone equally as self-sufficient as you are?

I totally agree. It really is tiring listening to men claim they are the victim in these stories all the time. I'm not saying that it is right for women to go around using men like this, but stop thinking and spending with your d*ck. Believe me, that's what my father did and ended up almost broke.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 307
Posted: 1/28/2011 6:26:50 PM
People who are paid to write articles (including journalists) don't write and sell articles about "ordinary" people. Sensationalism sells, I don't bother reading most articles, if so I do my research and check out the background of the author of the article.

It can be really interesting, many "alleged experts" don't have any legitimate credentials in their "field" they're writing about. If it's a popular article, then it's more likely a talented writer who found a "hot" topic.

If anyone wants any real evidence, the experts are in scientific journals, online or other media articles are 99.999% fluff = no credibility.

Now, since the reference was made to 1940 (*snicker*) then I'd be more inclined to scan it, if it said more men are marrying women for money. I've seen much more contemporary evidence of that, in the media and people I know. Now that'd be a much more provocative and accurate (likely) article. Huh, maybe I'll write it!

(And yes, I DO write and research professionally, academic and educational materials, quite well, if the feedback is honest.)
 cap_n_mORGAN
Msg: 308
Posted: 1/28/2011 6:28:35 PM
So why the search for "long term" then?

I didn't say I would never want a LTR just that right now I am happy being single.

Personally I would not want to date someone unhappy with themselves even for the short term.

Sweetness-one....... Here is the link the message # is 1319.

http://forums.plentyoffish.com/13309466datingPostpage54.aspx

See? Even you can't argue. You just want to argue your point,let alone considering that some women might actually have more assets than you, LMAO!

But no...you will NEVER find a post of mine here, where I suggestedanything otherwise.

Just posted the link to it above and I have dated a few women that made and had more assets than I.

Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 309
Posted: 1/30/2011 6:11:35 AM
Just like there are and have been women who will marry men for money rather than love I am sure there are men who marry women for their money rather than love. Since the number of women who have significant financial assets has increased over the last century I would not be surprised that increasing numbers of men are marrying women for thier money.

I do not think this is an either/or issue of marrying for money or marrying for love for most but a choice or a preference. Just like we have other qualities we are looking for in a mate finding a woman who will not be a financial burden has become increasingly important to men IMO. Personally I think that since women are becoming increasingly financially independant the number of women marrying for money may be declining. Seeking a partner who is as well off or slightly better does not mean you are marrying for money IMO.
 ladyc4
Msg: 310
Posted: 1/30/2011 10:12:54 AM
Annathasia
I was raised that way too...I always thought that since both of my grandmothers spent some time as single mothers,-one widowed, one abandoned-who managed to hold their families together until they could form another partnership, that this is where my parents' emphasis on being self-reliant women came from.
Cindy O
 cap_n_mORGAN
Msg: 311
Posted: 6/28/2011 8:11:36 AM
Anyone can say a study is flawed w/o presenting any facts to support their claim.

Sorry but as many women have said on this thread it has been like this as long as marriage has been around.

To believe it is increasing in this tough economy is just common sense. Is it wrong? Depends on each case.

Anyone would be stupid to marry someone that would cause them financial bleeds. So marring someone that has assets close to or higher than your own is understandable.

However if the main reason to marry is money whom ever is doing so, male or female is nothing better than a conman/conwoman.
 ladyc4
Msg: 312
Posted: 6/28/2011 10:40:15 AM
I've often heard it said-it's sort of a proverb,in fact-that anyone(regardless of gender) who marries for money is going to earn every penny of it.

As far as "as easy to love a rich man as a poor man",it was not particularly a sentiment expressed in my own family ,but I have heard this said by other (non-related)women of previous generations. I know one of my grandmothers always said "love goes where its' SENT-even if it is sent up a cows' ass."
She wasn't one to mince words!
Cindy O
 Vannili
Msg: 313
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2011 11:02:18 AM
who married for moneyis going to earn every penny of it.

That is a gospel truth ,and that moneyed person owns your *poor* SOUL..

I will marry a man with money, because of his upscale status, and how he earned his money... and I bet he thinks of me the same too, what am I bringing on the table?

Some women married solely for money, and they don't care how the men earned their money whether from kill for hire/street drugs/robbing/pimping prostitutions,/ect..
Those kind of women are in the same league with the man in life style and mind pattern..

Archangel_07
Msg: 314
Posted: 6/28/2011 8:30:57 PM
Of course females are marrying a male that's making more or at least having a decent career holding down their own, but hopefully females are marrying the males for who his is and his lifestyle. If you don't know the who the man you're marrying and not comfortable with him, then you shouldn't be marrying him regardless of how much he's making.

Like one poster said some females get abused by rich possessive dominant males, hell I had one of my female friends live this kind of abusive marriage till she got out, yeah at first the fact that the man's making money is good but if he's an abusive prick, the money doesn't mean shit. Now she's in a relationship with a man that's making less money than her ex-husband and happy with the man.
 Vannili
Msg: 315
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2011 10:02:38 PM
When I was a young girl my type of a man is wearing a suit to make a living .. it has nothing to do with money or status but fine-ness or I would say classy-acts.. Because it was instilled in me during my formative years how to be good so I can get a good man.I wore a blue collar job uniform ,my other job skimpy costume showing half my azz dancing on shows, I thought at that time table manners,good taste ,pleasing personality is a career that will land me to a rich man... I learned fast on that mistake , rich man will shower
her with money,travels, food, jeweries, because of her youthfulness and freshness .. They buy
her a nice house or rent an apartment but they own
her,
she can't do anything with out their approval, they only thing she can do is shopping and stay at the beauty parlor, have lunch with a girlfriends with the same situation like her... Once they got tired of her they throw her out like a used rag.
I married a middle class American guy ,I help him pay bills, and when he lost his jobI supported him for 3 years with two jobs, until he got his SS.. The moral of my story is I am my own woman. After I become widow and on a dating scene it doesn't bother me if a man work on construction,bus driver,garbage collector ,plumber, a friend introduce me to a truck driver , a blind date, He asked me if I do Blow Job, and I said what is that??? I just met a man and rudely asked me a sexual act,I clear up to him if he think I was a hooker and we have a deal that I don't know..he said american women always give a blow job, Iam better of with american woman than with oriental.. and I said to him I give blowjob too twice a month the 1st and the 15th when a man handed me his pay checks..
On that experienced I still want a guy who wear suits on his job...
 ladyc4
Msg: 316
Posted: 6/29/2011 1:49:07 PM
Consigliori
I think quite often, average folks with average jobs DO find that they really are not all that far ahead with both working.

This is not to say some oldfashioned line that women "shouldn't" be working!

However,perhaps that's something couples with small kids (or a lot of kids) at home should give careful consideration to. Unless the stay-home parent can genuinely work at home, both parents working requires child care, extra transportation costs, more money spent for "convenience" foods and products-that money has to come from somewhere.
I actually do know of working couples with children, who tracked spending, looked at how much of their salaries they actually got to KEEP after paying the costs associated with both parents working outside the home-and found out they were almost going in the hole! by both of them working. In a couple of cases, when one parents' job was providing benefits like medical insurance-or where one parent worked for a predictable/consistent salary, while the other was perhaps running a small business , a self-employed person-or farmer, it was decided that having one parent stop working really wasn't feasible either.

That all being said, have you visited the threads about "how does a man benefit from marriage" and "what are the reasons for getting legally married"? Apparently there is a grass-roots movement afoot, that when a divorce occurs, the person who EARNED the assets get to keep them-a person who chose to be a stay-at-home parent/homemaker is apparently to be left SOL.

Read that thread-I urge you. It will reveal to you what lazy whiners women are, and if they chose to stay at home with small children-OR, as you mentioned, because the family lives BETTER with a stay-home parent,well that is their own damn fault, if the marriage breaks up (s)he should get LESS in the division of marital assets-because why should the main breadwinner have to share equally with someone who cared for the home and the children-it's just not fair!

Looking at the matter in THAT light, probably nobody should be choosing to be a stay-home parent & homemaker, because if the marriage fails, the EMPLOYED spouse will be getting most of the marital assets,anyway that seems to be what is going to be demanded by "we the people" in the near future. So, while I do agree with you that many times families DO live better if there is one parent at home-it could be a change coming down the pike-"divorce/asset division reform" which could make being a stay-home mom or dad a grevious financial error.
Said, of course, with tongue-in-cheek... or is it?

Of course, to be completely fair, some of these decriers of the current divorce/marital asset division processes may have had spouses who WERE truly financial burdens-even when they worked outside the home.

One would think that the wisest thing for a couple to do would be to carefully evaluate their own situation, and if it appears that having both parents working outside the home really isn't making that big a difference,they very well might live better if one was home caring for the children and managing the household.

But if some kind 0f "divorce/ marital asset division reform" becomes reality, even though the family WOULD live better with a stay-home parent/homemaker,it may come to pass that this would be a financial risk that no married adult can afford to take.
Again-serving as Devil's advocate...
Cindy O
 BlueLupus
Msg: 317
Posted: 6/30/2011 12:39:20 AM
Duh!
That being said, the more he is worth is proportional to her breast size and fake tan. Since everybody looks at love as a business deal these day anyway, all should be happy!
 Fifi47
Msg: 318
Posted: 6/30/2011 9:34:26 AM
Where is the research that states educated women avoid educated men in droves and lean toward knuckle draggers? I have dated men who were not formally educated, men who had graduate degrees, men who did not graduate from high school, etc. A man can be highly educated and have no common sense, treat others like the dirt beneath his feet, and expect a woman to be submissive. This type of man would be avoided like the plague by many women. My world seems to be different than the worlds of women who are quoted in many studies about a myriad of topics. Show me a study involving women who live where I do and who know the kind of men that I meet in my everyday life, then I will agree to the merit of such research.
 abelian
Msg: 319
Posted: 6/30/2011 10:02:25 AM

So...where does a set of Ds and no tan put me?

On the hook for a fake tan.
 4ms4me
Msg: 320
view profile
History
Posted: 6/30/2011 12:40:33 PM

That has to be less expensive than a pair of Ds!

I'm not up on the cost of any of this, but it seems to me that a fake tan might need weekly, or twice weekly or (for all I know) thrice weekly upkeep. Shouldn't that be factored in before deciding whether a pair of Ds or fake tan is the better investment?
 Fifi47
Msg: 321
Posted: 7/1/2011 7:32:40 AM
^^^^^ a pair of large breasts, which are sometimes fake. I find it strange that supposedly a lot of flat chested women opt to get boob jobs, when according to the POF forums and from my experiences as a well-endowed woman, men are all about a woman's derierre.
 ladyc4
Msg: 322
Posted: 7/1/2011 8:53:48 PM

ugh, the suffering I must endure for an international relationship ;)

Sweetie- it's the GIRL who is supposed to wear the lingerie- not you. If that damn sheer,lacy thong keeps creeping up in your buttcrack-it's because they are designed to fit women-not men.
But your secret's safe with us ( I think)
Cindy O
 DelishAZmum
Msg: 323
Posted: 7/2/2011 5:20:56 PM
so so sp True Carol,, You would have to ask yourself...Why do these men want these kinds of women..Is it to share their wealth with???..one seems to wonder..Or is it the obvious...I could think of too...So its a double standard thing for sure...

Cheers for turning on this light bulb of mine.....lol
 Tallandsexy1
Msg: 324
view profile
History
Posted: 7/5/2011 4:05:51 PM
I had room mate like that she only dated men for money but to be honest who doesnt wnat a man who spoils them?
Im old fashioned in my marriage views so whats wrong with men takign care of women? Nothing... but I do want to work and make my own income regardless of him beign rich or not..
I will not marry for money but for love of the person I currently date low income men because either ther ein college usually and one day they will make good income but I never date man for money but for who he is inside that matters to me most..
You can marry wealthy man then they abuse you mentally or physically and not be home ever I want my man around more then never.
 palestars
Msg: 325
Posted: 7/11/2011 9:59:17 AM
I would marry for money. Just waiting for a woman to come a long with a sizable deposit......... Still waiting........ Still waiting..... and..... still waiting
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > increasing numbers of women are marrying men for their money