Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > increasing numbers of women are marrying men for their money      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DelishAZmum
Msg: 342
increasing numbers of women are marrying men for their moneyPage 14 of 32    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32)
so so sp True Carol,, You would have to ask yourself...Why do these men want these kinds of women..Is it to share their wealth with???..one seems to wonder..Or is it the obvious...I could think of too...So its a double standard thing for sure...

Cheers for turning on this light bulb of mine.....lol
 Laha Math
Msg: 344
increasing numbers of women are marrying men for their money
Posted: 7/4/2011 7:34:20 PM
Before there was Internet dating there were personal ads in the newspaper. I noticed the number of ads fluxuated with the economic cycle. I'll bet the number of people registered on this website does the same. Let's see, 1940 was the end of the Great Depression and the beginning of the WWII wartime economy. I'd control for the number of personal ads in the newspapers in 1940. If you take that out the conclusions from the study may be different. You also have to factor in the popularity of marriage. A larger proportion of the population in 1940 may have been choosing marriage over other living arrangements. The two goups may introduce an income differential bias. You'd have to correct for that when making comparison. It would be interesting to know if there is a statistically significant difference in levels of wealth or income between couples today who marry or choose not to marry. Is it different among homosexuals and heterosexuals? What about monogamists compared to poligamists? I think I smell a research grant. Finally you have to include both wages and benefits. One spouse could be making more freelance but would not have the benefits of a partner in a government job with medical and dental coverage, an indexed defined-benefit pension plan, disability insurance, relocation allowance, and 6 weeks paid vaction after 20 years.
 Tallandsexy1
Msg: 345
view profile
History
Posted: 7/5/2011 4:05:51 PM
I had room mate like that she only dated men for money but to be honest who doesnt wnat a man who spoils them?
Im old fashioned in my marriage views so whats wrong with men takign care of women? Nothing... but I do want to work and make my own income regardless of him beign rich or not..
I will not marry for money but for love of the person I currently date low income men because either ther ein college usually and one day they will make good income but I never date man for money but for who he is inside that matters to me most..
You can marry wealthy man then they abuse you mentally or physically and not be home ever I want my man around more then never.
 palestars
Msg: 346
Posted: 7/11/2011 9:59:17 AM
I would marry for money. Just waiting for a woman to come a long with a sizable deposit......... Still waiting........ Still waiting..... and..... still waiting
 lebanonboy5
Msg: 347
view profile
History
Posted: 7/17/2011 6:16:41 PM
it is very true...all women care about now is how much money a man has in the bank or pension plan, And based on that she will decide wether the man is worth dating or not...It's not about about looks or hair color..It;s all about money...No woman will date a guy who makes minimum wage....The vast majority of women are very shallow and stuck up.
 Carguy29
Msg: 348
view profile
History
Posted: 7/18/2011 1:39:50 AM
That is So very true, especially out here in Las Vegas were 95% of the women here are fake breasted, fake blonde, money hungry women... I got divorced to my wife (non working) of 10 years after the economy started to crumble and hard times hit and instead of her saying "Honey let me try and find work" to help out, she said (Granted I worked 10-12 hrs a day 6 days a week) She said NO I will not go to work you need to find a second job.... OUCH, hence why she now has nothing and remarried another guy to take care of her and I am HAPPILY divorced from her...
 Peppigonzalis
Msg: 349
Posted: 7/18/2011 4:53:34 AM
I believe Dr Hakim has put her own bias twist on the results of this study (which has not been referenced by the link)
As far as we are told, the study actually found that men marry women that have less education than themselves.
- THE STUDY WAS BASED ON EDUCATION - NOT $$$
Hakim has simply pronounced the correlation between education and money, in reference to the study, for the purpose of media attention.

Could it be that the men are choosing women that make themselves feel more secure? Some men dislike women that show more intelligence than themselves; the women may be resented for it! (or the male may feel like less of a man?!)

Could it be that men with a higher intelligence are simply more attractive to women for their minds and not their bank balance?
- Perhaps women are just not attracted to stupid people?

In the 1940's class was more of an issue than today; meaning, this disabled marriage between those of varying education levels to be commonly accepted in society (unlike today).

The reference to "a relationship of total equality" is not referring to women's rights, rather the educational balance in a relationship.

Bottom line; the study supposedly shows that women marry men of a higher education than themselves. Hakim has pointed out the correlation between education and money; however there is no evidence whatsoever on the women's or men's motives for marriage.
 Carguy29
Msg: 350
view profile
History
Posted: 7/19/2011 1:11:15 AM

You chose her, if a man picks this type of woman cos she looks plastic and hot , there is no way he is walking into it without having a hint that this is some kind of trade off between you both You for her looks, her for your money

Cathysaint when I met her we had No $$$ and as I became more successful in my careeer her head went to the $$$ and she couldn't and still to this day even married to her new Hubby can't stop asking, begging me for $ and says they are struggling... I didn't marry her for her AMAZING looks...
 cap_n_mORGAN
Msg: 351
Posted: 7/19/2011 8:44:50 AM

She came from a very wealthy background. She didn't need his money. She married him because he was a prince and she was impressed by the whole royalty thing; it wasn't the money. As well, you can tell clearly from photos and interviews at the time that she was 'in love,' infatuated really, with him and his status as a prince. It was not about money.

Yet she was stripped of her HRH and she didn't fight for that....Yet she did fight for a large chunk of the Royal fortune.
I would say that even though the money was not the only reason it was a large contributing factor.

The idea that women marry men for money is actually less true today than in the past. However, a woman today does not generally want to marry down financially and especially not marry a man she has to take care of financially. To vilify women who take a man's financial status into consideration is extremely hypocritical of men as most men, if not ALL, usually marry a woman for her looks. What's the difference? Both are superficial things that have nothing to do with love, character, and deeper issues.

You seem to contradict yourself in this post......if women are not marrying men for their ability to provide why would they not marry one that they had to care for......Men do it all the time......As a matter of fact the man can marry a lady that is self supportive and after marriage if she decides to quit her job after children are in the picture and never return.....The hubby is now responsible for her even if he didn't agree with her decision.

Sorry but that is just the way it is. The same can't be done in reverse as if the guy quits his job she can divorce him and owes him nothing!

In fact, it is probably more common for a man to fall out of love with a wife whose looks deteriorate than it is for a woman to fall out of love with a man whose income deteriorates.

While I am sure there are men that divorce to trade up to a better looking lady I would bet there is more ladies divorcing to trade up to a wealthier man.......I have saw it happen many times in my life......Usually with the same results the women end up being treated as property by the new hubby and wish they could go back to the first one. I even read a website once that said out of all the women that divorced their hubby through no fault 45% of them wished they had never filed.

Anyway as many have said a women will very rarely marry a man that makes less than them........I can guarantee that there are more women married to men making more that men married to beauty queens.
 ladyc4
Msg: 352
Posted: 7/19/2011 9:34:08 AM

if women are not marrying men for their ability to provide, why would they not marry one that they had to care for......

Umm-because they are looking for somewhat equal financial/educational footing?...as another poster recently pointed out, the study reported that women seem to be marrying men with more EDUCATION-not more money. Yes, I know that "generally speaking" more education=more money,but I think that can depend on what field that eduation is in. And no one is forcing men to marry women that earn less.

As a matter of fact the man can marry a lady that is self supportive and after marriage if she decides to quit her job after children are in the picture and never return.....The hubby is now responsible for her even if he didn't agree with her decision.

Anyone who finds that unjust is free to NOT marry. And if this is such a huge problem,men should be getting together and creating a political action force,lobbying for changes in family law.
Tantrums and pouting accomplish nothing except making the males engaging in that behavior look immature.
Cindy O
 cap_n_mORGAN
Msg: 353
Posted: 7/19/2011 9:51:04 AM

Umm-because they are looking for somewhat equal financial/educational footing?...as another poster recently pointed out, the study reported that women seem to be marrying men with more EDUCATION-not more money. Yes, I know that "generally speaking" more education=more money,but I think that can depend on what field that eduation is in.

That sounds like a neat little package......However the fact remains that men do marry women that make less most of the time.......Which shows men marry for love. The money is much less important to men.

If that was not so the numbers of which gender made more would be much closer to even.

And no one is forcing men to marry women that earn less.

True but if a man says I'm not marrying her because she makes less he is much more likely to be castigated about it than a woman saying the same.
There is a huge double standard there......Not that it bothers me at all. As you know I'm not going to be marrying unless it is truly a equal partnership.

Anyone who finds that unjust is free to NOT marry. And if this is such a huge problem,men should be getting together and creating a political action force,lobbying for changes in family law.
Tantrums and pouting accomplish nothing except making the males engaging in that behavior look immature.
Cindy O

Actually that is well underway.....Funny thing is many of the higher earning females are joining that group after having to write a hefty check to a ex hubby that made less.

What you call tantrums and pouting is the same way the American revaluation was born.......People talking in churches pubs and town meetings.....Today the internet is the best way to connect with like minded people.

As far as immature which is more immature......Talking about a problem and discussing ideas to fix it, or someone calling names about the people in the discussion?

Me thinks the lady protests too much!
 4ms4me
Msg: 354
view profile
History
Posted: 7/19/2011 9:57:23 AM
I would bet there is more ladies divorcing to trade up to a wealthier man

My ex traded up to a woman who made more money than him, about twice as much more. Now she's sick and can't work, apparently.

Anyway as many have said a women will very rarely marry a man that makes less than them

A few men have said that, but actual statistics show that about 22%-25% of women make more money than their husbands - that's not "rare".

Plenty of women on these forums have said they have dated/married men who make less, and I have included a few other sources as well showing that women are less concerned about a man's income than you want to believe. So although I'm fairly certain you'll ignore or dismiss this information in preference to your myths, perhaps other men with less agenda may find it interesting and even heartening.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dailybrew/women-earning-more-start-paying-dates-20110228-081925-761.html

http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/2010/01/21/increase-in-percent-of-wives-making-more-than-their-husbands/

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33196583/ns/business-personal_finance/t/rising-number-women-earn-more-mates/

http://psychcentral.com/lib/2006/when-women-earn-more-than-men/

http://money.cnn.com/2003/02/28/commentary/everyday/sahadi/index.htm

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/date_works_hard_for_the_money_and_rW7bKzX7mR5zMDvNRk8fOJ/0

Funny thing is many of the higher earning females are joining that group after having to write a hefty check to a ex hubby that made less.

(rolling eyes) ... geez, there've been a few news stories about women who have paid alimony, and all of a sudden it's a driving force for women choosing not to marry?? If you took off your $$$-colored glasses for just a few seconds, you'd figure out that as women become more financially independent, they become less interested in marriage. For women in general, alimony cheques are pretty much irrelevant at this stage of the game; alimony is only relevant in 15% of all marital splits, which works out to something like 4% of the time for women, and alimony is not relevant not at all for all the SINGLE women who don't want to marry. Women are less inclined to marriage because they need the financial support of men less and less, and because for many people (men and women) marriage has become irrelevant:
" demographers say that social forces have created a society where women no longer need to rely on husbands for financial support, and where there is increasing scepticism about the institution of marriage."
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2007/jan/17/usa.population

Honestly, Yawn, you are just completely out to lunch.
 cap_n_mORGAN
Msg: 355
Posted: 7/19/2011 10:04:11 AM

A few men have said that, but actual statistics show that about 22%-25% of women make more money than their husbands - that's not "rare".

So by your own numbers 75-78% of women marry men that make more......I would say that would make the ones that marry a man that makes less than them RARE!

Also you have to account for the percentage of marriages that are equal in pay to both....I would bet that would account for more than half of the 22-25% you mentioned so you see your numbers bear out the fact that it is rare for a lady to marry a man that makes less.

Thanks for the great info that proves this point very well!
 4ms4me
Msg: 356
view profile
History
Posted: 7/19/2011 10:18:57 AM

Also you have to account for the percentage of marriages that are equal in pay to both....I would bet that would account for more than half of the 22-25%

Nope, if you'd bothered to look at any of the sources, you'd have seen that they were talking about women who made more then their husbands. If you want to consider the couples where the earnings are about the same, you have to ADD to the 25% figure.

So again, it's not rare for a woman to consider a mate who's earnings do not exceed hers.

Thanks for the great info that proves this point very well!

And thanks for being so ... predictable.
 cap_n_mORGAN
Msg: 357
Posted: 7/19/2011 10:24:08 AM

No that's not the automatic conclusion to come to. Many probably marry someone who makes about the same. In my profession, teaching, lots of teachers marry other teachers. I know and have known many couples married for years and years who are both teachers and both making about the same. Their income depends on their degree and the number of years they have taught. It could as likely be the woman who makes a bit more or the husband. I imagine a lot of couples, not just teachers, make about the same, with the amount of difference not being of any significance.

The figure she quoted said that 22-25% of women make MORE. So it doesn't account for any making an equal amount. You have misread what she wrote.

No I didn't look below at the foot notes about the studies she posted.......The info was adjusted........yet when you try to go to the footnotes page to see how it is unavailable.

So the info is skewed by the people doing the study you have no idea if the equal making partners was attributed to the ones making more or the ones making less........

1. This analysis includes only the U.S. born in order to have a consistent data set over time. See methodology in Appendix B in the full report for further explanation. Unless specified, all data pertain to this specific age and nativity group.
2. This report uses the measure of total income contributed by each spouse, most of which comes from individual earnings.
3. All income trends in this report are based on data that have been corrected for inflation and household size. See Appendix B in the full report for an explanation of why adjusting for household size is desirable and a discussion of the method used to do so.

And back to Dianna: I imagine she sued in the divorce for a lot of money out to punish him. Afterall, it was Charles who first broke the marriage vows by being unfaithful.

Kudos to you for admitting that women try to punish men in divorce!

Despite anything you would like to suggest, she never needed his money before or after the marriage. So, yes, both women and men, in a bitter divorce, try to punish each other. And, btw, because of her popularity, she probably brought many millions of pounds into the coffers of the British royal family and the British economy.....money from tourism.

That still does NOT negate the fact she didn't fight for the title you say she was interested in. Which was the point you tried to make. Yet she did fight for money.
 ladyc4
Msg: 358
Posted: 7/19/2011 10:37:04 AM
wow 4ms-be careful that you don't get lumped into "the lady doth protest too much".

Which shows men marry for love. The money is much less important to men.

Then why in the WORLD-are there some men whose every post in every thread is all about money, having to protect it,how the woman can decide to stop working and the man is "still on the hook"etc etc. If it was REAL LOVE-divorce would be extremely unlikely,and if it was real love,a woman deciding to become a stay-home parent would not hold such terror for these men.

The money is much less important to men.

Judging by so many of these threads I would call that a huge mis-statement.

And no one is forcing men to marry women that earn less.

True but if a man says I'm not marrying her because she makes less he is much more likely to be castigated about it than a woman saying the same.

Why let one's life be ruled by fear of "castigation"??? If a man feels his position is the correct one for him-"castigation" should be of no concern whatsoever to him. "Castigation"-is nothing but WORDS spoken out of someone's opinion. "Castigation" will not dock your pay, repossess your car,etc.
Unless the person doing the catigating is the person who signs your paycheck-so what if someone is "castigated".

Besides, if a person decides to halt progress-or END-a romatic relationship, where is it written that this person owes the whole wide world a detailed explanation?-for which they could be "castigated"?

There is a huge double standard there......Not that it bothers me at all. As you know I'm not going to be marrying unless it is truly a equal partnership.

Incorrect. All I KNOW is what you SAY you are or are not going to do. It's HEARSAY, not "knowledge".

Funny thing is many of the higher earning females are joining that group after having to write a hefty check to a ex hubby that made less.

Perhaps-perhaps not. All we know is that in some other threads you brought up a TV news piece about a few women-(about 5 if memory serves correctly) who got hit for alimony...in at least ONE of the situations, the issue was with a particular state's "permananent alimony" statute. And since it seems to be a given in so many people's perception, I'm going to make an educated guess that in that state, it's mostly WOMEN who are benefitting from that "permanent alimony" provision.
I find it quite interesting that from one side of some peoples' mouths comes an accusation that many women want to "preserve the status quo"-and out of the other side of the same peoples' mouths comes the assertion that "many"( yeah all 5 of them in that news story)women are "joining that group"-t0 reform the financial aspects of divorce. Statistics/cite your source-please...lets hear a number or a percentage that constitutes "many of the higher earning females".

Talking about a problem and discussing ideas to fix it, or someone calling names about the people in the discussion?

First, making an observation about a conclusion drawn based on a behavior, is not "calling names".
Second-so tell us about some "ideas to fix it"-because quite frankly, what I'm reading are complaints-and a very few people who believe they have an individual plan for their own situation, not "ideas to fix" the percieved injustice for everyone.
ETA

Kudos to you for admitting that women try to punish men in divorce!

Now that is RICH, coming from a man who brags about punishing at least one of his ex-wives by threatening to have her prosecuted for adultery. A man who seems like he believes any woman who has children and subsequently focuses on them, rather than the Almighty dollar, should be punished by getting nothing in the divorce. A man who thinks he can marry again-funnel all his income into a trust, and then divorce the woman and take her for half of HER income.
Punish??? Pot, say hello to kettle!!
Cindy O
 4ms4me
Msg: 359
view profile
History
Posted: 7/19/2011 10:53:41 AM

Yeah, but, sometimes they lie..

People lie on these forums?! Say it ain't so!!

I personally know of a woman that basically spent 30 years being ignored and neglected. She's never abused, he never hits her, she's just furniture in the house that cooks and cleans.

Over the years, MANY friends have asked her why she put up with it.

Her answer was: "Because he's a good provider... He's security.."

Yup, I agree ... some women marry for security, some men marry to get a cook/cleaner/baby-maker. I saw a posting on another forum, once, in which a woman said that she didn't like her husband, didn't intend to stay with him, and had only married him because of health benefits; as soon as her health issues were solved, she was gone. It sounded very sad, for both of them, and I wondered how in the world he was persuaded to marry her ... did he know her motivations? If he did know, you'd think there'd be at least friendship between them, but it didn't sound like it. I wondered how she could do such a thing, too; I couldn't imagine doing something like that, but then I've never been in any kind of desperate situation. It wasn't a forum where I could ask for all the details, either, but I surely wondered.
 ladyc4
Msg: 360
Posted: 7/19/2011 10:59:40 AM

You know, when it is clear someone cheats and fights unfairly in a debate, it can suggest why making a marriage work can be problematic. No one can have a real discussion when the other person purposely twists what is being said in order to "win."

Indeed
If their issues screamed any louder, somebody'd be dialing 9-1-1.
Cindy O
 cap_n_mORGAN
Msg: 361
Posted: 7/19/2011 11:20:47 AM

You know, when it is clear someone cheats and fights unfairly in a debate, it can suggest why making a marriage work can be problematic. No one can have a real discussion when the other person puposely twists what is being said in order to "win." In a relationship, I would deal with someone like that for the period of one argument. If he did things like that, I would be gone.

I wasn't spinning anything if you take a stroll these threads many female posters would never say what you did.

I was simply thanking you for being fair......Guess that shows no good deed goes unpunished.

I never said she married him for a title. What I read at the time, from interviews with her and the discussion about her in the British press was that she was awed by his being a prince, The Prince. She was very young and infatuated with the idea of a prince falling in love with her. She wasn't after a title or money, but a fairy tale. She was incredibly naive.

If a lady marries a prince she becomes a princess....Are you saying that little fact didn't weigh in on her infatuation? Along with all the money and prestige that goes with it?

I agree she was after a fairy tale however the title and money that went with it was the reason.......Or it wouldn't have been a fairy tale.

Indeed
If their issues screamed any louder, somebody'd be dialing 9-1-1.
Cindy O

Or the post most likely was misinterpreted by the ones that think they are Dr. Freud.
 ladyc4
Msg: 362
Posted: 7/19/2011 12:43:24 PM

I wasn't spinning anything if you take a stroll these threads many female posters would never say what you did.

Really? then, from where are your constant whines of "why do people say I'm damaged"-your concerns that you will be "castigated", your continous attempts to suggest that women who disagree with you have some urgent personal stake in "the status quo"? Or if you can't come up with anything else-you accuse others of "spinning" whitewashing" "bloviating" "trying to distance themselves from what they said."-where IS all that coming from? which is pretty ironic coming from one who continually twists everything any other poster says that doesn't kowtow to his viewpoint.
Or goes off dragging a red herring...like this rantlet about the late Diana, Princess of Wales. Look, there are always marriages made for strategy,political purposes, to produce suitable heirs among royalty and even the very wealthy. What does that have to do with the average Joes and average Janes?

If a lady marries a prince she becomes a princess....Are you saying that little fact didn't weigh in on her infatuation? Along with all the money and prestige that goes with it?

How can anyone here say for sure what did or did not factor into that particular royal marriage? Or were YOU a mouse in the pocket of Diana's crinoline??

I mean, at that age, I find it difficult that she would be such a coniving b i t c h as one of the male poster above you seems to think.... Then it does not surprise me coming from him. He always tries to demean women. It's getting old really...

Other posters besides just me have suggested that this continual seeking to demean women comes from a genuine case of misogyny-and I believe that this suspicion is supported by his frequent accusations towards female posters of "misandry" . Or else he accuses of women "trying to maintain the status quo" or "being SO worried that the divorce laws will change".
Actually, I don't see how you can improve upon the basic concept of "equitable division of assets" which may NOT be "50/50"-only 9 states(the last I checked) have the "community property" standard which would be the "50/50" that he's so worried about. Granted, there are situations where the financial settlement in a divorce may seem, or actually BE, unfair...but a lot of that comes from the human beings that intepret the statutes, not the statutes themselves.
In fact, lets FLIP that accusation... why is HE "sooo worried" about divorce laws since he has a plan in place to shield every penny of his earnings in an trust or LLC so that the only "marital assets" would be what his latest stbx had brought in?
Cindy O
 cap_n_mORGAN
Msg: 363
Posted: 7/19/2011 1:25:27 PM
So she married for love and didn't need money huh.....Lets see....According to this site and it seems to be backed by other sites I'm not sure that holds true.

http://womenshistory.about.com/od/diana/p/princess_diana.htm

Parents divorced in 1969. Mother ran away with a wealthy heir, and father gained custody of the children. Father later married Raine Legge, whose mother was Barbara Cartland, a romance novelist.

Hummmm seems mummy was not to good of an example for her.....

You were correct about her education...
educated at home to age 9
Riddlesworth Hall (age 9-12)
West Heath School (Kent) (age 12-16); dropped out
finishing school in Switzerland, Chateau d'Oex; left after a few months

From that kind of go getter attitude I can see why she wanted the fairy tale.

After Diana left school, she moved to London, and worked as a housekeeper, nanny, and kindergarten teacher's aide. She lived in a house purchased by her father, and had three roommates. In 1980, Diana and Charles met again when she visited her sister, whose husband worked for the queen. They began to date, and six months later he proposed. They were married July 29, 1981, in what's been called the "wedding of the century." She was the first British citizen to marry an heir to the British throne in almost 300 years.

If money and prestige was not the reason for wanting the fairy tale.....Then why didn't she just keep working as a housekeeper,nanny and kindergarten teachers aid.....She may have been an aristocratic but seems she had to do common jobs to survive until she married Charles.

Diana immediately began making public appearances, despite her awkwardness with being in the public eye.

Seems she took right to being a princess and left the hard labor behind.

The divorce was final in August of 1996. Settlement terms reportedly included about $23 million for Diana, plus $600,000 per year. She and Charles would both be active in their sons' lives. She continued to live at Kensington Palace, and was permitted to retain the title "Princess of Wales" but not "Her Royal Highness." At her divorce, she also gave up most of the charities she'd been working with, limiting herself to five, working with homelessness, AIDS, leprosy, the ballet, a hospital for children, and a cancer hospital.

So she received 23 million plus 6ook annually......Quite a haul for a former housekeeper/nanny.

The thing is I never said she just married for money just that it was a large factor in the fairy tale she wanted.

The bottom line is fairy tales are just that......Anyone that goes into a relationship thinking they are getting a fairy tale ending........Well that is a lady I wouldn't want anything to do with!
 gentleplus
Msg: 364
view profile
History
Posted: 7/19/2011 4:56:19 PM
All this time I thought women wanted me for my great personality, active lifestyle, brains, and stable character qualities....

Note to self.... Leave wallet at home when dating.... LOL
 ladyc4
Msg: 365
Posted: 7/19/2011 7:48:37 PM
I see some men are so worked up by this topic that they need to stoop to disrepecting the dead.

More and more women are choosing to marry men who are substantially better educated than them, and therefore have higher earnings."

OR-maybe MEN are choosing to marry women who have less education because being on an equal educational and financial footing with his wife would diminish his control of the situation? Maybe some men feel threatened, fear loss of "the upper hand". And maybe the women who are choosing to marry these men haven't much of a clue what lies in store?

I don't really much give a rats' ass personally, but it would be nice if men would figure out whether they want romance and tradition, or a modern woman who equals or even out-earns him? Actually, there can be room for both romance and equality in education and income for intelligent, reasonable adults who aren't all caught up in some kind of posturing game.

But nobody wants to hear THAT- it doesn't sell newspapers, attract viewers/listeners, or present an opportunity for a glorified researcher to get published,in aid of getting more grants.

The inequality/inequity in marriage and divorce is a myth created by the media and certain sectors of the academic fields,and nurtured by lawyers, counselors, mediators.

It's a damn cash cow for the media, academia,and family-law attorneys. For all anybody knows, maybe the prostitution industry has a hand in it as well-men who are frightened of their wallets being assaulted in a relationship or marriage, may be more apt to turn to a woman he can have sex with and then pay her a previously determined fee to GO AWAY.
I neither praise nor damn those times-but there WERE times when men took pride in providing for their families, and women took pride managing what he provided wisely,using it to make the home a comfortable place to be.

The unfortunate DOWN side of that way of doing things,is that it left women as chattel-or at best 2nd class citizens ruled by men, with very few options/choices to do anything BUT be a wife and mother-even if she had a gift or calling for some other career.

Eventually I hope that the whole "gender role" thing balances out and works the way that it was envisioned to work.
But I think we are still dealing with a lot of residual resentment over equal education and economic opportunities for women, from certain portions of the male population.
However, I do feel like this is becoming more like "pockets of resentment" rather than an overall atmosphere of resentment. But all too often it seems like it is these resentful males who keep getting thrown back into the dating pool-thus we have threads being appropriated by indignant males.

Anyway... the timing... It's all about the timing...

Yes, it is...and men worth having can take that into account-and also give consideration to the idea of leavening hi romantic gestures with a little bit of common sense.

Cindy O
 Want_You_2010
Msg: 366
Posted: 8/29/2011 3:14:25 PM
Money is the number one thing women are attracted to...this way they can save thier own and not have to spend it.
 ladyc4
Msg: 367
Posted: 8/29/2011 4:36:08 PM
I don't know or much care about what other women do or what motivates them-
But for me
Money is the number one thing women are attracted to...

is wildly off the mark. The number one THINGS I'm attracted to are intelligence and integrity. Since I don't have much luck finding those things, I believe I'll be staying single until my luck turns. Simply an observation-not a complaint,whine or insult.

The only importance I attach to money is that the man is capable of supporting himself- legally- and without having to live with parents or relatives.

Besides- how does "money is the number one thing women are attracted to", line up with the other frequently-poured whine, that women only go for "losers" and"bad boys". And the "he has no job, he drinks/does drugs , or just got out of jail"oft-heard complaint certainly doesn't line up with the "money is the number one thing women are attracted to"-now does it?
Care to offer an explanation of that inconsistency?
Cindy O
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > increasing numbers of women are marrying men for their money