Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > increasing numbers of women are marrying men for their money      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 404
increasing numbers of women are marrying men for their moneyPage 17 of 32    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32)

Men earn more money because they work more hours , don't take as much time off and stay in the workforce for greater amounts of time !

Then how do you figure in the reality that there are more men unemployed today than women?

Household Survey Data
The number of unemployed persons, at 14.0 million, was essentially unchanged in August, and the
unemployment rate held at 9.1 percent. The rate has shown little change since April. (See table A-1.)
Among the major worker groups, the unemployment rates for adult men (8.9 percent), adult women
(8.0 percent),
teenagers (25.4 percent), whites (8.0 percent), blacks (16.7 percent), and Hispanics (11.3
percent) showed little or no change in August. The jobless rate for Asians was 7.1 percent, not
seasonally adjusted. (See tables A-1, A-2, and A-3.)

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/empsit.pdf
Clearly ~ this would skew your assertions, which are sexiest and erroneous.

~OT~ There have always been and will always be women who seek financial solvency in the person they may want to marry. There has always been and will always be men who seek beauty over brains in the person they may wish to marry. This is OLD news. There are also, those who marry for other reasons and some who marry for no real reason at all. That's life. There's no real mystery to this topic ~ or any other for that matter. The reasons people do whatever it is they opt to do is a matter of personal mind-set. Pretty simplistic. JMO
 cedar77
Msg: 405
view profile
History
increasing numbers of women are marrying men for their money
Posted: 9/4/2011 2:14:53 PM
Then how do you figure in the reality that there are more men unemployed today than women?

Because the b.s. myth only compares employed men and women .

BTW .. I agree that women have a lower rate of unemployment .
Do you think it is about time that men stopped being discriminated against through affirmative action ?

Someone mentioned female higher rates of education , how does affirmative action play here ?

Do you think men do the tougher jobs in society ? Like building maintaining fixing and inventing just about everything ? You know , the really tough and dangerous work ?
I look around and I see that this is true . Like when a road to building needs to be built , or a roof needs to be reroofed , or a mine needs to be dug, or crops need to be sewn or fish need to be caught , or a railway needs a new bridge , a subway needs to be dug , etc etc etc .
Should men make more a bit more money ?

VVV yeah go sleep girl , lol

Fleuron
Msg: 406
Posted: 9/4/2011 2:35:16 PM
^^^^^^^

Msg 552

I suppose it’s a risk you take when you sleep with a guy because he drives an Aston Martin.

Um...Sean Connery could be riding a tricycle and women will want to sleep with him.
 Dreamer_in_SC
Msg: 407
Posted: 9/4/2011 2:43:06 PM

Because the b.s. myth only compares employed men and women .

while the choice of words used to describe it may not have been the best way, he is sorta correct. I do believe those numbers are of the women that are what is called "in the work force" and do not even consider the women who are stay at home moms or the older women living on their husbands pensions that have never really been in the work force.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 408
Posted: 9/4/2011 3:05:29 PM

while the choice of words used to describe it may not have been the best way, he is sorta correct. I do believe those numbers are of the women that are what is called "in the work force" and do not even consider the women who are stay at home moms or the older women living on their husbands pensions that have never really been in the work force.

There are also stay-at-home-Dads and men living on pensions and SS Benefits of wives that have died or who were primary earners while married. There are also men in college living with working wives. There are also men who are homeless and unaccounted for. There are also men who don't work for reportable wages, so they would need factored in also. There is NO way to polarize this topic. But the fact of the matter is that of reportable earners ~ men are more unemployed than women. Add the fact that women are more likely to be under-employed and what's his name above's gender-bash is still erroneous.

~OT~ People marry for all sorts of reasons and there is NO way to qualify/quantify just how many women marry for money or how many men marry trophy wives, or how many people marry for love or how many people get drunk in Vegas and marry because they didn't have the wherewithal to sleep on it (figuratively speaking) first. It's impossible to do any type of viable study on the subject. JMO
 Dreamer_in_SC
Msg: 409
Posted: 9/4/2011 3:22:28 PM

~OT~ People marry for all sorts of reasons and there is NO way to qualify/quantify just how many women marry for money or how many men marry trophy wives, or how many people marry for love or how many people get drunk in Vegas and marry because they didn't have the wherewithal to sleep on it (figuratively speaking) first. It's impossible to do any type of viable study on the subject. JMO

You are correct... I am not sure if it is the correct assumption or not but i have always thought that if a man finds a beautiful woman that is smart (smart meaning many things) then men are more likely to overlook her earning ability.

I know for me at least if i found a woman that is beautiful to me and had some brains upstairs then it would not even bother me to care what she earned as long as it was something and she was content. In my 38 years I think that is the most valuable thing i have ever learned, to be able to adapt and enjoy life at least in some way no matter what situation i am in.

Lifestyle is in a constant state of flux so to dwell and weigh everything on something that changes constantly is not something i worry about.

But that is just me and my way of handling these issues.
 OyVay...
Msg: 410
Posted: 9/4/2011 10:33:24 PM
OK didn't want to jump back into this based on the one guy's posts, but gotta say oh please? Are you kiddin?

At least try and make an argument that is plausable.

Stay at home dads? How many, probably less than 10% at best. "men living on pensions and SS Benefits of wives"? Try the actuarial tables on who lives longer men or women.Far more women get these benefits than men.

While I won't debate the men in college with working wives, I will point out that the divorce rate is 50%, men still outwiegh wives by a hefty margin, in the alimony arena. A man going to college for a law degree or a doctor degree, is far more likely to end up paying back that spouse after divorce than vice versa.

Now what about the homeless? This is the saddest state of all. Far worse for women than men, cause the women usually wind up with the kids. That a country like ours has homeless, makes me wretch! That ANYONE talks about them, but does nothing, makes me sick. Still even at that homeless women have better opportunities than men. More groups have outreach programs for women and children, as it should be. BUT I consider it a crime and stain upon America that we even HAVE homeless.

As for unreportable income, no comparison. The vast number of men working off the books, are illegal immigrants doing manual labor. As for the number of women with unreported income, comes from not only companies like Avon, Mary Kay and home party companies.In addition there are jewelry sellers and used product vendors on ebay. Take a look at the numbers, women far outnumber men in this arena.

We've lost more than 5 million manufacturing jobs, most belonged to men. The fastest rising employment demographic is in healthcare, where women hold a majority of the jobs, especially in nursing.

Sorry, those are facts. You may dispute the actual numbers, but not the trends or bias.

As for why people marry, who knows? But the truth lies in one fact. First marriages among women are usually to start a family. Women look for a man with prospects for the future, who will make a good mate.

That does not equate to gold digging, or marrying for money per se. That merely represents a thought to the future of her children.

Vegas and all the rest is bullsh1t. Trophy wives represent such a small number of the population that it barely worths mentioning, especially on POF.

JMHO, from years studying industry.

Furthermore this does not represent a bias from the POV of women marrying for money, simply a pure case of the facts of our economy.
 SC67
Msg: 411
Posted: 9/5/2011 5:46:47 AM
I think I might've posted on this thread earlier, mostly as a joke 'cause I really think it is a joke. INCREASING numbers of women marrying men for their money? Nope...don't believe it. If you said DECREASING or even more women deciding they don't need to marry...then this would be something I could get behind.

Two things lead me to this conclusion. More women are in the workforce now than ever.

We've lost more than 5 million manufacturing jobs, most belonged to men. The fastest rising employment demographic is in healthcare, where women hold a majority of the jobs, especially in nursing.

It's also much less of a social stigma to be an unwed mother. Women also have more birth control options so they don't have to get pregnant/get married to have sex on a regular basis.

Yay! Things are more equal than ever & women NEED men less than ever. Now we can all just get together 'cause we like each other instead of 'cause we want something from the other.
 weathervanes
Msg: 412
view profile
History
Posted: 9/5/2011 8:40:45 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Get the court system and blood sucking lawyers out of the marriage & divorce business and we'd probably all get along even better...Happy Labor Day
 Vannili
Msg: 413
view profile
History
Posted: 9/5/2011 9:25:29 AM
I don't mind marrying a man for his money, but all of the supermarkets here in Nevada doesn't carry paper bags anymore just only plastic bags to put the groceries.
Plastic bags is prohibited to put in someone's head for it will suppocate the person and die.

So count me OUT into that increasing numbers of women who marries for the man's money... I'll marry for a man's good looks...

Happy Labor's day,!!!!!!!!!!!And you are all invited to the Ribs cook off here in Victorian Square Sparks NV.
 mysterywoman999
Msg: 414
Posted: 9/5/2011 9:41:15 AM

Men earn more money because they work more hours , don't take as much time off and stay in the workforce for greater amounts of time !

I think this is generally true. I suppose, like most everything else, this is changing. As women marry later, or chose not to marry at all, and have fewer/no children than in past generations, women are free to be work focused and put in lots of hours at work.

I feel like the key for young women is to go into an area where the pay is prescribed, and not subjective. For example, male and female doctors earn the same money. A female school principal is going to make the same as her male counterpart. Business is different. When it comes to negotiations for pay, women are simply not as aggressive in demanding their worth, and I think in male dominated businesses, there is also a tendency (lingering from the past) to selectively underpay women, by tweaking the job title and responsibilities to "justify" it. The other alternative for women to make sure they get a fair shake in business is by starting businesses of their own. If a woman's goal in life is to make tons of money, I don't believe being a woman is a serious drawback; anyone with the drive, commitment, and skill set can do it.

Do you think men do the tougher jobs in society ? Like building maintaining fixing and inventing just about everything ? You know , the really tough and dangerous work ?
I look around and I see that this is true . Like when a road to building needs to be built , or a roof needs to be reroofed , or a mine needs to be dug, or crops need to be sewn or fish need to be caught , or a railway needs a new bridge , a subway needs to be dug , etc etc etc .
Should men make more a bit more money ?

Lots of jobs are dangerous. My friend sustained a serious burn working in a commercial laundry facility. Mostly women worked there, as they were able to do the maximum load of lifting. Back in the day when I was a server in a busy nightclub, I was harassed regularly, and twice I was followed to my car by creeps.

I'm not opposed to the principal of "danger pay" but it is such a grey area. Perhaps it would make more sense for those employers to pay for enhanced medical/disability payments rather than increase the salaries.

As far as jobs that require sheer brute strength, I suppose there are still a few, but from what I have seen on construction/road work sites, the heavy lifting is done by machines.

Should a roofer make more money than an executive assistant? IMO, hell, no. Roofing is somewhat physically demanding, but requires NO education and minimal training.

OT. I make my own money. If I married, the man would bring additional money to our household, but I don't care exactly how much money he makes. As long as he works full time, and does his share around our home, we'd be fine, because I earn pretty good money and have great benefits as well.
 SC67
Msg: 415
Posted: 9/5/2011 10:12:12 AM

Get the court system and blood sucking lawyers out of the marriage & divorce business and we'd probably all get along even better

Not all women get some kind of fantastic settlement when they divorce. I get barely enough to cover my daughter's health insurance & he still thinks he pays too much. I don't mind taking care of my child, but it would be nice if it was even close to 50/50. I shouldn't complain, though. I know a lot of ladies don't get any support at all.
 weathervanes
Msg: 416
view profile
History
Posted: 9/5/2011 10:23:22 AM
^I'm with you on child support 100%, my issue is with those that think retirement benefits should be seized for lack of a better term simply because one party is deemed by government fiat to be "entitled" to something someone else spent a lifetime earning and to which they contributed nothing to the existence of the retirement plan ie, defined benefit plan.
 cedar77
Msg: 417
view profile
History
Posted: 9/5/2011 4:24:42 PM

what's his name above's gender-bash is still erroneous.

What's his name is scratching his head wondering how rebutting slander in the form of politically motivated fabrication very unfairly directed at men , could be called" gender bashing "

The wage gap myth is a " gender bash " .... duhh !

This from a women's forum :

http://www.iwf.org/campus/show/18948.html

Gender Wage Gap Is Feminist Fiction

by Arrah Nielsen

Women Earn 77% of Men and Other Falsehoods
September 22, 2008
The Kudlow Report: Ignoring the Great "Mancession?"
October 22, 2010

As much as feminists love to parrot the statistic that women earn only 76 cents on the male dollar, they rarely bother to provide an explanation or solid evidence for this claim. But fortunately a smart new book has hit the shelves just in time for Equal Pay Day to help them out.

Equal pay for equal work has been enforced by the Equal Employment Opportunity Act since it was made law in 1972. The Equal Pay Act of 1963 and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 also ban sex-based wage discrimination. So it seems pretty remarkable that the wage gap is so wide and pervasive even today. Attorneys should be having a field day with class-action lawsuits. But they are not. Could it be that even the legal establishment is complicit in this glaringly obvious patriarchal conspiracy?

The 76-cent statistic (now actually 80 cents, according to the U.S. Census Bureau) is misleading because it is a raw comparison of all working men and women. Thus a female receptionist working 40-hour weeks is tossed in with the male orthopedic surgeon putting in 70-hour weeks.

A study of the gender wage gap conducted by economist June O' Neill, former director of the Congressional Budget Office, found that women earn 98 percent of what men do when controlled for experience, education, and number of years on the job.

Warren Farrell, three-time board of directors member of the National Organization for Women New York City, exhaustively debunks the wage gap myth in his book "Why Men Earn More." Farrell documents occupations requiring bachelor's degrees in which women's starting salaries actually exceed men's. Female investment bankers and dieticians, for example, can expect to earn 116 percent to 130 percent of their male counterparts' salaries.

The real reason that men tend to out-earn women is the choices they make. Men are far more likely to take unpleasant and dangerous jobs, what Farrell calls the "death and exposure professions." For example, firefighting, truck driving, mining and logging -- to name just a few high-risk jobs -- are all more than 95 percent male. Conversely, low risk jobs like secretarial work and childcare are more than 95 percent female.

Farrell points out that in California, prison guards can earn $70,000 per year plus full medical benefits and retire after thirty years with a hefty retirement package. But it takes little imagination to figure out why California still has a difficult time staffing its prisons, and it goes without saying that most prison guards are male. Says Farrell, "As with most jobs, there's an inverse relationship between fulfillment and pay."

Because men are more likely to take jobs that are unpleasant, dangerous or dull in exchange for higher pay, they reap the financial benefit. Farrell summarizes this phenomenon this way: "Jobs that expose you to the sleet and the heat pay more than those that are indoors and neat."

Another reason women's average earnings are less than men's is that they take more time out of the workforce for care-giving. Women, more so than men, adjust their work schedules to accommodate their families, and in poll after poll, they express a preference to do so.

"Well, why can't men and women share domestic responsibilities 50-50 so women will be just as free and unencumbered as men are?" the conventional feminist argument goes. Such an arrangement is unrealistic as it requires both husband and wife to work part-time. Couples typically find it easiest for each partner to specialize and make the sacrifices required to sustain the family.

Scholars can debate whether it is societal pressure or innate desire that makes women elect to spend more time with their children. But so long as these decisions are a reflection of women's expressed preferences, this isn't a problem that needs to be solved.
 SweetLilGTP
Msg: 418
Posted: 9/5/2011 5:06:06 PM
Point them to the stage.

They're heading that way anyways, just taking a slower route, or getting lost in the alleys and windmills.

*shrugs*

I've noticed that too.
 SweetLilGTP
Msg: 419
Posted: 9/5/2011 5:09:45 PM
"Is there a study about women marrying men for their poverty?"
That actually happens, to ladies who are sick of competition and stress.

That dude poses no threat to her supremacy.

One girl said it best: "prostitution is the oldest profession".

Marry her or rent her to your buddies, or both; it's the same thing to alot of women out there Ive found. [It's how they do]

Naturally, I dont respect them as much as some; but it does serve my purposes I guess.

I'm going to pawn mine off to a fatcat for his uses.

(he's already pinpointed, and she's running around learning her birdcage)
 Fleuron
Msg: 420
Posted: 9/12/2011 10:42:26 AM
^^^The little sleeping emoticon wasn’t directed at your comment. Apparently I got told off for it.

Yes, your comment was clever. My comment was pointing out the obvious.

I suspect people always have, and always will, take their potential mate’s financial condition and earning potential into consideration when getting married.

I agree.
 tidecats
Msg: 421
Posted: 9/12/2011 10:45:45 AM
Does it also simply translate to we want security. Its very simplified but, its true..
 Magina314
Msg: 422
Posted: 9/12/2011 11:50:02 AM
Good topic, world is pretty sexist. I'm a man who can type up to 100 words per minute with 100% accuracy. In any event, my job would be given to a female who could only type 40 words per minute.

Why? She's more attractive than I am? Well Duh, she's a woman! Whereas my skinny ass would be given a job to lift shit up to a 100lbs all day long, like WTF i'm not that strong, i'm a computer geek. (Real world rolls in, life sucks, get used to it)
 Fleuron
Msg: 423
Posted: 9/12/2011 12:02:57 PM
^^^
In any event, my job would be given to a female who could only type 40 words per minute. Why? She's more attractive than I am? Well Duh, she's a woman!

So get a job typing for a woman. Problem solved.
 cap_n_mORGAN
Msg: 424
Posted: 9/12/2011 12:09:10 PM

I suspect people always have, and always will, take their potential mate’s financial condition and earning potential into consideration when getting married.

I agree.

Yes and men should start doing as well as traditionally that is not the norm.

I am all for equal and independence for women......Just understand that means in all areas not just just the ones they want to pick and choose.
 jmark4
Msg: 425
Posted: 9/13/2011 2:16:54 AM
of course women marry for money. They still get off on money and power.

Hugh Hefner uses a cane sometimes to walk but he has young blond teens and 21 year olds knocking on his door to be his mistress or girlfriend or whatever.

You dont see a lot of rich guys with ugly women.
 happybunny8
Msg: 426
Posted: 9/13/2011 4:20:53 AM
And men marry for sex. Big freaking surprise. When are we going to talk about something different on here?

cap_n_mORGAN
Msg: 427
Posted: 9/13/2011 6:02:05 AM

And men marry for sex. Big freaking surprise. When are we going to talk about something different on here?

If this statement is true then the irony is that wedding cake removes all sex drive from females.

Actually on topic of course they marry for money nothing new there the past 25 thousand years.

Guys if you want something different then you are going to have to do something different.

Date on your terms, decide what you want, if you feel she is more interested in your money than you kick her to the curb.

There is a very small percentage of ladies out there that while they want to be provided for, that is not the most important thing to them.

That is why I have adopted a completely different dating style than I use to have. The good ones are hard to find......But that is okay I would rather be single than to be married to another like my last wife.

My point is if you really want something different than what you have been getting then you need to do something different.

If you're attracting the women that have money at the top of the list then ask yourself why.

If the bait you are using is just catching sucker fish change the bait.....or where you cast your line.....or any other of the variables you control.
 infiniteperfection
Msg: 428
Posted: 9/16/2011 1:12:20 AM
You can't really talk about this to women. It's foreign to their brains.

They think giving (money) = love (emotional attachment) . So if men give them a lot, they think he loves them a lot. Lack of giving means lack of trust and love.

Also women want power and social standing in society. These things are very important to people and women get this by taking control of a man.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > increasing numbers of women are marrying men for their money