Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Krustybird
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Are soap operas going to far with there storylines Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Yep. A vile, vomit inducing, morally devoid, horrendous, damaging, disgusting pile of claptrap which should not be allowed to infect our television screens, ever let alone pre watershed!!!!
 Krustybird
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Are soap operas going to far with there storylines
Posted: 1/8/2011 9:13:03 AM
^^ Before the 9pm watershed? You're damned right I do!!

EDIT*
Ahhh you poor thing have you only one channel then?
get a grip!

I beg your pardon? Get a grip? I have a 'grip' thank you very much for your concern.

I have plenty of channels and I choose to avoid the ones showing this sort of drivel no matter what time it is being broadcast. However, the watershed is there for a reason and I am at a loss as to why Soap Operas seem to be immune to the rules governing everything else broadcast on Terrestrial television. Would you see Predator, Terminator, etc being aired on Terrestrial pre watershed?

So thank you kindly for your concern, but it's not required.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 1/8/2011 10:50:10 AM
Soap operas aren't there for the benefit of the public. They are there to make as many people watch them, so that ratings go up, as that shoots the price of ads in the breaks, and that rakes in millions for the TV companies. Do you have any idea how much ad cost?

In april this year, Reuters reported that ITV wanted £250,000 for 30 seconds during Britain's Got Talent!
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSLDE63H00G20100418

You count the minutes in each break, and then count them for all the breaks in an hour's programme like BGT. You're looking at several million pounds.

They'll do anything to get more people watching, and the more shocking, violent, and sexualised the story is, the more people will watch it. But then, eventually, everyone gets used to it, gets bored, stops watching, and then the ratings go down, and so do the price they can charge for 30 seconds of adverts, and so do their profits, by millions. So they HAVE to make it more shocking, more violent and more sexualised, with each passing year, to keep up those high ratings, and their profits.
 Krustybird
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 1/8/2011 3:15:45 PM

Msg 7 I'm sorry I didn't realise cot death only happens after 9!
I suggest you stick to cartoons if life is too scary for you.
I guess your attitude is "I don't want to watch this program so nobody else should either"
It's a free world and I say again don't watch it then, change the channel!

Now now let's not get personal, it's frowned upon by the powers that be and might get people their hands smacked.

I at no point in my post said anything about the specific subject matter being inappropriate for myself, after all I can and do watch TV after 9 pm. However the watershed is there for a reason, children!!! I do not appreciate the fact that these programmes are on early enough for some younger children to view. And yes yes I know, if their parents are stupid enough to let them watch then tough but it so happens that I don't feel the need to punish the child for the parent's transgressions.

So I say again, not before the 9 o' clock watershed. Keep the crap off the screen til the kids are in bed.

If others want to watch it, fine, I choose not to commit mental suicide by force feeding my brain with unrelenting mind numbing clap trap.
 JustGerry
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 1/8/2011 3:18:37 PM
Haven't watched Eastenders for years but made a point to have a look online for the clip with Samantha Janus..yeah ok it's good to have drama in soaps to pull the punters in but when it comes to using cot deaths especially since this can and does effect many women that have lost babies due to cot death coupled by the fact it was shown at Xmas time when many many people do get so down at this time of year with not having loved ones including babies that have died , I feel the producers of the show have went way over bounds with this, they just don't seem to get it do they how woman's emotions can be so fragile at this time of year.

I know Eastenders tries to mimic real life but when does the buck stop on trying to create good but thought provoking story lines at the same time trying to create good viewing without resorting to sensitive issues such as cot death!!
 fractalena
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2011 4:20:40 PM
With programmable HD recorders so easily available, not to mention the internet, we can all make our own TV programming, whenever/ifever we want to watch anything; watch it or leave it, basically.
I would vote to ban soaps for many reasons but the only consideration that stops me is that soap watchers are a whole army more than people interested in other types of entertainment so we would be outnumbered and... soaped against our will.
 xxmistyxx
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 1/13/2011 9:19:14 AM

SIDS in no way; shape or form something that is light hearted..and the way this has been portrayed in this certain storyline is I can imagine rather upsetting for those who have experienced it and gone through the devastation of it themselves.

I agree ..

I know the storyline of SIDS however it was done would have been upsetting for those that had lost children to this....

The mistake I think the script writers have done is to do the baby swop story at the same time...

Ronnie did attend the funeral albeit secretly to see her son buried....Kat is mourning her son as she believes the baby she is burying is hers...

If it helps high light SIDS and raises awareness then that can only be a good thing...

Everyone I know is talking about it whether on forums or in the real world that is no bad thing..The more we talk about it the more it raises awareness!
 Forrest Grump
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 1/18/2011 1:33:58 PM
Yes, I feel soap operas are going to far with their storylines.

I’ve just heard a rumour that Phil Mitchell, while attempting to club an urban fox to death with his own shotgun, is shot, accidentally, by the fox!

I mean, really…

badge73
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Posted: 7/11/2011 3:59:17 PM
I wonder what the viewing stats are on soaps? I mean as in which sex and age groups? Might explain a few things

i dont watch them, after all i live on a council estate where issues are reality rather then dreamed up
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >