Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 WaywardWynde
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Motorcycle rides as first dates?Page 2 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
^^^ Riding a well-prepared motorcycle on a straight, well-designed, well-maintained road on a dry day with unlimited visibility and little traffic is ...

... condescending?

You won't believe this, but I also actually took my daughter when she was 8 years old out on a 22 foot sailboat in 30 knots of wind. She fell asleep in the c0kcpit when she got tired of talking to the old man. I sailed on, and when we returned I took her to Wendy's for a hamburger.

Was I wrong for exposing her to cholesterol and saturated fat?

Oh BTW, that 22 foot sailboat was designed for the North Sea and was capable of crossing the Atlantic.
 ladyc4
Msg: 34
Motorcycle rides as first dates?
Posted: 1/16/2011 9:39:24 AM

Most people lead lives of quiet desparation.

Turn off the projector. Some of the people with motherly instincts-and even maybe a bit of experience with motorcycles have responded negatively to what YOU thought would be a "good" example. That hardly indicates overall fear and/or "lives of quiet desperation.

Your condescension is extremely unattractive.
If you honestly treated an 8 year old like an adult, then you're just not as bright as I thought you were.

Well, there's book learning and then there is "bright". They are not necessarily mutually exlusive but the presence of one does not automatically indicate that the other is also present.

On topic, accepting a motorcycle ride as a first date with someone you just met via a general interest dating site,violates the "control your own transportation" online dating site first-date safety rule.
Cindy O
 WaywardWynde
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2011 10:02:12 AM

Most people lead lives of quiet desparation.

Turn off the projector.

If I recall correctly, you have viewed my profile in the past. It is 100% accurate, though far from comprehensive.

I feel sorry for those who live in constant fear. For instance, those who won't go near a telephone during a thunderstorm for fear of getting killed by a lightning strike.

Women who are afraid of riding on a motorcycle, shouldn't ride on a motorcycle, first date or last date. Women (like men) who are afraid of telephones during a thunderstorm shouldn't stand near any telephone during a thunderstorm.

Most women (like most men) who council other women (or men) to stay far, far, far from men (or women) as a matter of course and safety, have an agenda. It is reasonable to ask just what that agenda is when considering their counciled words.

Is it safe to order pizza? Some would not if there is a thunderstorm forecast.

10 miles from home on a two lane quiet road and a deer jumped from the bush basically into his lap.

Within 10 miles of where I spent most of my teenage years, probably twenty cars hit deer during that time, including twice where the drivers died. No motorcyle/deer incidents, however.

We were taught in (required) Drivers Ed class to watch out not only for the first deer we might see on a dark road, but the two deer following the first.

Fear is a debilitating thing that crushes the spirit.
 DrummingNut
Msg: 37
Posted: 1/16/2011 10:06:32 AM
OP, you added this post:
You must have misread the original post. I said there's no way I would get on a motorcycle with someone I didn't know and trust. That would NOT include someone I met from here for a first date.

Say what

Maybe you typed that wrong??

To me it reads you feel you would "know and trust" someone you met from here for a first date!

(and I've read some of your threads about some of your first dates! They didn't turn out how you trusted they would. lol)
 ladyc4
Msg: 39
Posted: 1/16/2011 10:35:00 AM
Well. let my uncrushed spirit inform you that most here are not afraid of motorcycles or men, they are simply commenting on their own position regarding riding on a motorcycle with a man that they have only a profile and some electronic communication with. Personal safety in the sense of not getting into or on a vehicle with someone you don't know anything about except what they have chosen to present to you,has been a common response. Some posters felt it incumbent upon them to speak about what they saw as risking the safety of a child.
I would not call any of these things an agenda!

A few women mentioned not liking or being afraid of riding a motorcycle. Most however, were concerned that accepting a motorcycle ride from someone they really don't know from anywhere but the internet, violated the "control your own transportation" advice that is routinely given by any person, expert, book, magazine article or webpage discussing dating from the internet.
The bit about being afraid to use the telephone in a thundestorm...WTF?? WHO CARES?
I think somebody has hit a rough patch in their dating life and is choosing to cast all blame for that on others instead of looking at themselves. I actually did that for awhile, til I realized that such pontification served for nothing but to make me look like an ass.

People do and don't date, have sex, ride motorcycles according to what they feel is best for themselves. There is no "agenda", and what some would call 'lack of fear', others would call foolishness. I'm fairly certain that the dating population, male and female, is NOT overloaded with rapists, killers, psycho b*tches, etc. But all it takes is an encounter with ONE to seriously impair, if not end, your dating life or maybe even your life in it's entirety.
Cindy O
 ICtheLite
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2011 11:32:58 AM
Stranger? I won't meet anyone until I've logged a few hours of phone conversation, so I could potentially have talked to them for 3-4 dates worth of conversation before hand. I think it is all about your comfort level with who your meeting. Would you get in someone's car after 3-4 dates? If they seem irresponsible, of course not!

I have had several first dates that included bike rides, but I already know I am comfortable on one. If I'm not comfortable enough to get in someone's car, I'm not going to get on their bike, but that has to do with the person... not their mode of transportation. The scariest guy I ever met did not ride a bike.

Bottom line is if your afraid of it, don't think you would ever want to do it on a regular basis, ... why would you even consider meeting someone who does?

Wayward: Your right... if your not comfortable with it, just don't do it, no matter what it is.

Rush:If you think it would be fun you would probably like it. I'll forgive you for the 40-50 yr old crack, lol.
 DrummingNut
Msg: 41
Posted: 1/16/2011 12:42:13 PM
Back when I had a bike I was always cautious who I would have on the back of it.
Some people just have NO idea how to be a 'passenger' on a motorcycle!!
And when I was on the back of someone's .. I was cautious who's it would be.

But WAY back.. in my youth.. I remember meeting a guy, and on his bike within 10 minutes of meeting him. I had never been on a motorcycle before.
Some of the crazy things we did in our youth!!
I also would take all sorts of other chances with life.
It's a major wonder I survived some of it.

Now? (actually, for the past 20 years)..
My general answer is no, I wouldn't get on anyone's bike that I had just met.
My more personal answer is I couldn't anyway.. physical handicap.

I'm with the other ladies here that say they also wouldn't get in the "man I just met" car, either.

Being more cautious in life, I have found, does not have to translate to a dull life!
For the guy who seems to think it does... I say hogwash.
 leeglenda
Msg: 43
Posted: 1/16/2011 9:32:22 PM
I've done it, it's very exciting, it's an ice breaker, you get connected with the person. It's fun, go for it.
 femaleconnection
Msg: 44
Posted: 1/17/2011 12:20:19 PM
I love motorcycles...I just dont want to be on back of one with someone I dont know yet.

If through the course of a few dates I could see with my own two eyes that he has some common sense to him, Id gladly accept a ride for a date...just not the 1st date with a stranger. Goes for regular cars as well.

Even the act of getting on one is too intimate for me with a stranger...I dont want to wrap my arms around someone I dont know yet. Call me weird I guess.
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 45
Posted: 1/17/2011 2:06:33 PM
As far as I'm concerned, it would never progress to that point in the first place, because if a man who is a motorcycle enthusiast isn't immediately turned off by the fact that I listed "Motor vehicles with at least three wheels" as one of my profile interests, I would definitely clarify with him that I wouldn't ever be getting on the back of a motorcycle with him prior to our setting up the first date. Now on the other hand, airplane rides are a totally different story.
 ravenhair4u
Msg: 46
Posted: 5/30/2012 5:08:25 PM
I'm relieved that you wouldn't get on the back, There are some ladies who want to ride so bad, & they get themselves in unsafe situations, & then they're at a guys mercy, & it's too late. The guy is probably trying to impress you.
I rode my own Harley for 8 years, & I can tell you, for a fact, there are many bikers out there who have no idea how to ride safetly. He might be an ahole who has no respect for your safety. Not only have I seen lots of accidents caused from showing off & alcohol, but what if he leaves you somewhere? So many have no respect for the speed limit, even some on Harleys take off & go 20 miles over to start, routinely ride at 90mph, they just don't care.
I got on the back of a crotch rocket with a neighbor, & I told him not to speed or endanger me. Did he listen? No. He had no regard for my life. He went 70 mph down a 4 lane Chicago street, the speed limit was 30. He was tailgating, weaving in & out of traffic, he was dangerous, & he was so sure I would be inpressed, I wasn't. I was glad to get off & I stopped talking to hi after that, the experience upset me that bad.
 ladylady349
Msg: 47
Posted: 5/30/2012 5:47:21 PM
I have gone on a motorcycle ride for a first date. I'm 66 and he is 70 and he rode a Harley Trike. I met him in a grocery store parking lot and we went riding. Had a very nice ride and lunch. He had been riding since a teenager. I love riding and live in the most beautiful part of the Ozark Mts. and wonderful places to ride. Unfortunately he is only separated and not single. But a very nice man.
 Tristle
Msg: 48
Posted: 5/30/2012 5:54:26 PM
motorcycles are neat
 CasvalCBR
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 5/30/2012 6:44:41 PM
I've never really had an interest in having a girl on the back of my bike. Actually, I've never done it. Not saying I wouldn't but the only girls who have asked have just been pretty casual acquaintances. It's not something to take lightly.

Honestly, I'd prefer a lady to have her own bike and ride with her! But for me, when it comes to my bikes, it's not all that important a girl I date even cares about riding or motorcycles, as long as she understands what it means to me. It would be nice if she did care or even ride herself, but it's not one of the things on my checklist.

All of that said, 1st date, heck no. If a girl asked me to ride on the back of HER bike (just go with me here), I would say no. I'm a rider and I know there are a lot of questionable riders out there... I'd need to know more first.
 Lionesse19
Msg: 50
Posted: 5/30/2012 7:10:28 PM
A bike ride, are they serious?? You could end up in the bush and who knows what else. They are strangers and no sane woman would contemplate such a thing. If a guy does not have a car then I would not be interested anyway.
I think that question is a no brainer but then women do have sex on a first meet and at home or his house. So go figure. Texting and talking on the phone beforehand does not a relationship make nor do you really know who you are dealing with.
 SSC-SAF
Msg: 52
Posted: 5/30/2012 8:56:55 PM
I would not go on a ride with a guy on the first date (with one notable exception, see below). I won't even get into his car on the first date. I handle my own transportation until I see that he's a responsible driver, and if he's not, then either he rides with me and I drive, or we take separate cars. I am not a good passenger for a bad driver.

If a guy refuses to wear a helmet or the proper gear (especially the right footwear), it doesn't matter how many times I've gone out with him or how good of a car driver he is, I am not getting on his bike. If he has a spare bike (since I don't have my own right now), I'll be happy to ride that, wearing my own helmet, jacket, gloves, jeans and boots with the non-skid soles.

Notable exception: The day I met my late husband, he pulled up to my house on his bike, and we sat on my porch and talked all afternoon. After several hours, he asked me to go for a ride, and I enthusiastically said yes. He made me put on jeans, boots and my leather jacket (I already had a biker's jacket) and lent me a helmet. He had 20+ years of safe riding experience. That was 22 years ago; I wouldn't do that on the first "date" today.
 Archangel_07
Msg: 53
Posted: 5/30/2012 11:00:22 PM
I would like to buy a motorcycle for myself but will not be driving women around on it during a first date. A few dates of getting to know a lady first and then going from there. If she wants to hop on and trusts me, then we coo.
 bchbum1092
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 11/4/2012 1:51:36 PM
I ride bikes all the time but would never ask someone to go with me on a first date. First how do you talk ? how would you know I have been on bikes for 40 years. I don't want to dress in my Harley clothes on the first or second date .. But it is important that they like bikes and will at a later date after they trust me
 ravenhair4u
Msg: 56
Posted: 11/4/2012 3:00:59 PM
I get mail from bikers too, no way am I getting on the back with any of them..
I rode a Harley for 8 years, many of those in a male motorcycle club. Woman aren't members, & many clubs don't allow non members to ride.
I have seen so many people, not in the club but in the biker world, do stupid, reckless, dangerous things. Many are show offs, & don't know how to correctly handle a bike, don't have a lot of road experience & aren't qualified to ride alone much less with a passenger.
I have seen them speed 40 miles over the speed limit on side streets full of children playing, ride 90 miles an hour with one hand, drive on curved rural roads in the oncoming traffic lane, change lanes uphill on curves, take turns to fast, cut off cars, zig zag in between cars, & get drunk & ride. I can go on all day.
They should also have a minumun of 10,000 miles before they take on a passenger. They should also know how to teach a passenger to be a good passenger & not do anything dangerous like lean, try to steer or control the bike, etc.
You are absoulty correct in your decision not to get on the bike, & I have no idea why they want to do that on a first date, maybe to impress you.
 Paderic
Msg: 57
Posted: 11/4/2012 3:34:23 PM
I would never ask someone to ride on the back of my bike. I don't want anyone back there, no matter how petite they might be.

I also don't care to ride in groups, especially these yahoos that like to ride in tight formations. I will ride with someone I know so long as they understand I want a SAFE distance between us.
 justdeb1111
Msg: 58
Posted: 11/4/2012 4:06:30 PM
Hey, does second date count?

I met a gent for lunch, hit it off pretty good. He said he had a Harley and wanted to know if I was game to go for a ride on the next date--I said sure. (Yeah, I know he could have been an ax murderer or something so I checked him out with a local HOG that knew him despite the distance. He was highly recommended and, honestly, I think some of the ladies of the group were envious.)

I thought it would be like a few miles round trip, but heck no---we went on a 100 mile ride up along the coast--was awesome!!! (I keep in pretty good shape but my legs were killing me after that run).

That started a relationship that lasted for several months, really great guy. We differed enough to both realize that we probably weren't potential lifetime material together, though, plus we lived far apart and neither could move at that time.

I still think fondly of him though--that sonofagun could ride!
 MotoGPatrick
Msg: 59
Posted: 11/4/2012 10:43:29 PM
I don't pitch the ride as a date idea.

If they ask I will consider it. If it seems like they are the type that can not only fit but understand my briefing on being a pillion it is a go. I have a second helmet with blue tooth communication between the two.

Since I don't ride a 1000 pound chromed out couch I have never had anyone out of shape on the back seat of the Ducati nor do I try to go touring with someone back there. Wrong tool for the job. Just a short, sane, thrilling and still safety conscious ride to entertain.

I have never had any issues with it.

I do like it when they ask.. I also like it if they ask to learn how to operate a bike. I get the little dual sport out and coach them with the bluetooth intercom. I am a good teacher.

As for those not into bikes.. To each their own. If they are afraid of bikes, scared of horses, have 2 billion allergies, severe asthma or get sea sick after 5 minutes on a sailboat.. It just wont work.. go be boring in your safety bubble for all I care.
 coderedjulia1
Msg: 60
Posted: 11/6/2012 12:32:27 AM
Maybe go to a biker bar, and watch him ride. Don't think I would hop on first date.
 Paderic
Msg: 61
Posted: 11/6/2012 5:27:05 AM

You can't talk during the ride unless you're screaming back and forth

Actually, there are a lot of bluetooth devices available for helmets that make it possible to talk at a conversational volume.

The bigger worry is the helmet you're wearing. Chances are, it doesn't fit your head properly.
 chelseajkt1
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 11/6/2012 5:44:43 PM
I wouldn't get on a motorcycle period. My body is to damaged to take any more chances with it. I've had 2 major car accidents in the past 12 years and that's eneough.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >